Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 11:24:37 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VLC versus Media Player Classic  (Read 5304 times)

Offline Mesachie

• hyas wawa/cultus wawa

VLC versus Media Player Classic
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:17:21 AM »
I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that a number of you watch anime downloaded from the internet. I am something of a newbie to the process and started looking for something I could watch flv files (from you tube) with.  I started with GOM player and moved to VLC.  When I started watching anime with subtitles, GOM worked better than the version of VLC I had at the time.  But an update to GOM turned it into junk (imho) and I was stuck with VLC, even if it had problems with some subtitles.  Recently I realized I was running and old version of VLC and updated. Boom! All my subtitle problems seemed to disappear. 

But as I read more about anime, fansubs, and so forth, VLC was often vilified by those-in-the-know.  So I finally downloaded a copy of Media Player Classic.  Okay, it does render quite well. But it wants the user to specify a subtitle file when I play an mkv format file.  Hey, 80 percent of the anime on the net is mkv these days.  And Media Player Classic won't let me load subtitles. Tells me I have to stop and change the video renderer and reopen the file. Give me a break.  I suppose if I was a power user looking to control every last detail that might be good.  But as a user ... sheesh! And mkv files have the subtitles already in them, specifying the same mkv file for the subtitles as I did for the anime didn't work, a real pain.

What do you folks use for watching anime you get from the net? 

Secondly, I would love to move some of them from my computer to view on my flat screen tv, which is small but 1080p.  However I haven't sorted out the mkv to tv thing yet.  Maybe I will have to build a media server of some sort, but seems extreme, wish dvd players would handle mkv files like the do other formats ... oh well, so it goes.
Nothing is more delicious than the memory of that delectable space between her hem and stocking top.

Offline pryose

Re: VLC versus Media Player Classic
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 01:31:59 PM »
I personally stick with GOM

Sometimes there are minor subtitle programs but all in all it's good :)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 07:41:54 PM »
Some of my friends use VLC player, but I would stick with Windows Media Player Classic which comes along with the CCCP package. WMP hasn't given me any outstanding problems, and more importantly, it's fuss-free and loads pretty quickly.

Plus, WMP is compatible with ffdshow, an audio/video enhancer program. I'm pretty happy with what I'm using right now.

Offline Mesachie

• hyas wawa/cultus wawa

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 08:37:19 PM »
Glad it works for you AC.  Do you play mkv files with subtitles included?  How?  Subtitles are "greyed" out in my popup except for the "Load Subtitles" which leads to a dialog box asking me to specify a dub file.  Since the subt file is part of the mkv wrapper, what to do? And why the heck doesn't Media Classic Player see the subtitle file in the mkv file to start with? 

Okay okay, I know you aren't MCP support.  I do like the rendering I've seen so far and use it to play English language anime like The Portrait de La Petite Cossette when an English dub is available though generally I prefer to watch anime and live action movies in their native language with subs.
Nothing is more delicious than the memory of that delectable space between her hem and stocking top.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 08:43:44 PM »
Maybe it's because there's something wrong with your AV settings. Check the player and see if it corresponds to something like this.

Or, you don't have Haali Media Splitter. Basically, if you have downloaded and used the CCCP package, you shouldn't get any problems.

Offline Mesachie

• hyas wawa/cultus wawa

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 09:14:01 PM »
Well, let me tip my hat to you, AC! Thank you, thank you very much. The CCCP thing was the problem.  I am sure somewhere they told me to d/l that and install it too.  Maybe not on the actual webpage for MPC, but some where.  And I remember seeing a thread on another site deploring CCCP for some reason I was too ignorant to appreciate.  So when I d/l'd MPC, I skipped over CCCP like a kid playing hopscotch blindfolded.  And that was fly in my ointment, or the grey in my popup menu. 

I just d/l'd CCCP, ran the install, turned on MCP and ... voila! ... I have subtitles.  I can watch The Portrait de La Petite Cossette in Japanese with subs (I think, didn't actually check to see it had subs but it must) and dial up episode 3 of Seikon no Qwaser to titillate my baser appetites. 

I even changed my mkv file association so MCP will come on automatically now.  Je t'adore, AC. 

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 09:16:51 PM »
And thank you for patronizing NHRV. If only we have more people like you...

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 11:37:28 PM »
I kinda think CCCP is a requirement if you want to watch soft-subbed anime.  I love it as an example of a naturally disparate group of people (fansubbers) coming together and agreeing on a set of standards.  If you use CCCP with MPC and it's set up properly, you'll almost never come across a file or codec type that you can't instantly play, and at worst, you'll only have to occasionally change your video renderer.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 12:57:17 AM »
I personally stick with GOM

Sometimes there are minor subtitle programs but all in all it's good :)
YEA 곰!~!!!!!!!

nah I'm sticking with MPC when it comes to anime and movies.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 07:48:06 PM »
Open Source software > Closed Source software.

VLC for life. Plus, I can stream TV with VLC and MPC is ugly as ****.

Offline Thot

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 03:22:12 AM »
I'm using MPlayer/SMPlayer and on the rare occasion that fails me, I use VLC.
This works for basically all anime video files I've come across.
On the rare occasion I use Windows for this, I go with MPC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up