Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 11, 2017, 04:09:08 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ore no Imouto  (Read 37884 times)

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Ore no Imouto
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 04:44:18 AM »
Didn't enjoy this ep quite as much as the previous ones, although it did have its moments (eg, the tsundere argument between Kirino and Ruri... I was giggling like an idiot just as much as Kyousuke and Saori were).  As far as the plot is concerned, well, the secret coming under threat had to happen sooner rather than later.  The fact it was Ayase that found out, rather than Kanako, means that it probably has a better chance of not being completely exposed to everyone.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 04:22:58 PM »
In this post, Scamp overreacts over one little fanservice scene, and manages to make a big deal out of nothing.

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2010, 11:50:11 AM »
4:  A love interest?  =D  Things are getting interesting!
Uh, yeah the whole fanservice thing was a little bit uncalled for, but whatever. I didn't think of it as fanservice as much as I thought of it as a cliche plot device. It did serve a purpose, considering that the sister's bestfriend now is wary of the brother.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2010, 02:52:32 PM »
In this post, Scamp overreacts over one little fanservice scene, and manages to make a big deal out of nothing.

No shit he did.  After watching 4 myself, I admit it is pretty out of nowhere and, thus, jarring.  There could have been better ways to set up the meeting between the brother and her friend.  I guess the point is that the scene doesn't HAVE to happen at all, and thus it becomes a rather glaring pock mark even if it is just a "throw-away" fanservice moment.

Still, he is going completely bonkers.  I think that, inevitably, this show IS going to degrade to an incetuous romance.  The irony within irony within irony has already been set up.  But for now, it really didn't mean anything other than "people fall, land on boobs, skirts fly up at the slightest provocation and... oh by the way, this is ****ing anime and not reality."

As for sister's friend, she's going to turn out to be a manipulative bitch, isn't she?  She may indeed want brother for herself, and now that she knows "teh secret", might use that to get what she wants.  If the aim of this show is to have one "normal" character with a seemingly random and contradictory hobby, then it stands to reason that another "normal" character is going to have a peculiar "real" personality as well.  In short, it's Shugo Chara without the floating acid trips.  Or, as House puts it:  "everyone lies".
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2010, 03:18:40 PM »
Still, he is going completely bonkers.  I think that, inevitably, this show IS going to degrade to an incetuous romance. 

Actually it's going to
Spoiler for Hiden:
become a harem with no sign of any incest yet.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2010, 09:49:37 PM »
5:

The hell just happened?

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010, 03:22:13 AM »
The best ep of the series so far, that's what!

Ep 5

Ayase seems to be the sort of person who sees the world in black-and-white.  To her, it's incongruous that an otaku, ie, criminal in waiting and her perfect, popular, pretty best friend could comprise the same person.  I think this is a conflict that needed to happen.  It's certainly different from Nogizaka Haruka from the point of view that anyone who found out about her secret just took it in their stride (quietly ignoring her backstory).  Someone fragrantly anti-otaku had to find out.

I had no problem with the direction this went in, even though Kirino's statement that she couldn't lose Ayase wasn't exactly the most convincing thing in the world.  The way the anime has presented things in previous episodes kinda suggested that Kirino's hobby (or, more importantly, Kirino's friendship with Ruri) is more valuable to her than her friendship with Ayase.  Interestingly, she almost lost both in this episode.  Not her hobby, but her friendship with Ruri.  It doesn't matter what she'd said, she couldn't lose her hobby, because hobbies don't have feelings.  Maybe it would have been more compelling if the question had been framed in terms of that, ie, which friend does she want to keep, rather than, which does she want to keep, her hobby or Ayase.  But, like I said, I liked which direction it went in.  Another example of Kyousuke sacrificing his ego to protect his sister.  It's nice.  Really sweet, especially at the end.

Edit: Also, this director has a love affair with reflections and lensed images (almost as much as the writer has a love affair with tsunderes).

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:39:43 AM by Sorrow-kun »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2010, 04:29:57 AM »
5:

Boy, do we have a big platter this time round.

I'm not as charged up as Sorrow-kun on this episode, but I do give credit that this episode is more substantial than your average anime episode.

The scene where Ayase meets Kyousuke, Kirino and her two friends is a slightly mixed bag for me. Ayase's detective-like suspicion is a little perplexing; it looks a little exaggerated and forced. We know that back then, Ayase was showing signs of her phobia against otakuism. Her quote "I hate lies" feels very superficial; is it lies that she really hates, or otakuism itself?

Kyousuke seems to be slowly but gradually becoming an otaku himself. Is this a good direction on the show's part? iirc This is discussed on our blog before.

Ayase is an intriguing example of the intolerant type of people towards a hobby that has a big question marks floating above it. I agree with Sorrow-kun that she's the type that sees everything in either black or white (a moe version of Rorschach :O ). Ayase did raise valid points to back up her argument, but let's not forget that she is also the example of people who gets easily swayed by the media and not try to be more level-headed about things.

I'm trying to think more about what kind of person Ayase really is. Is that piece of terrible Siscalypse news the cause of her intolerance towards otakuism, or just a trigger to her latent hatred towards otakuism from the very beginning?

And yes, Kyousuke resorted back to his passionate solution to bring Kirino and Ayase back together. Looking back at this, it doesn't really solve Ayase's intolerance problem. It's just a diversion to change Ayase's attention towards Kyousuke to blame for the "weird hobbies". This is what I feel mixed about: glazing over the truth on Kirino's loli-fetish with incest.

This is a good episode, but I won't call it great. But with this, I conclude that Akira is wrong about Kyosuke bonking Ayase in the end?

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2010, 02:28:10 PM »
I think that Kyōsuke handled it quite well, until he made the passionate speech about his love for Kirin, as despite the speech not being bad in itself, was said in a way that made him sound like a incestuous pervert.

Though, now there is potential for the relationship between Kyōsuke and Ayase to develop in a more interesting way than it might of been had it been 'all sailing'.

On a side note - I am surprised that Kyōsuke could take such a vicious kick and still remain focused on the conversation, showing true dedication to his sister, which was certainly virtuous of him.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2010, 03:12:20 PM »
I think that Kyōsuke handled it quite well, until he made the passionate speech about his love for Kirin, as despite the speech not being bad in itself, was said in a way that made him sound like a incestuous pervert.

See, it's that last part that bugs me.  There was no way at all I could take that speech as anything other than what Ayase did.  But Kyousuke seemed confused by her reaction.  Besides that, how exactly would that make things okay for Kirino?  She's the one with the otaku hobby about little sisters, and here she is, a little sister.  Does Ayase think Kyousuke forced Kirino into liking little sister manga and eroge?  I mean, considering how idiotic Ayase is for most of this episode, I could buy that she's dumb enough to make a weird connection like that, but what about Kirino's fierce defense of her hobby?  How does that work?

I get that Kyousuke THOUGHT that by seeming to be an otaku himself, that he and his sister have formed a powerful bond through fandom, and Kirino's love of her hobby isn't for the hobby but the bond with her brother, and therefore Kirino isn't choosing her hobby over Ayase but her BROTHER over Ayase, but... the whole thing just comes out ****ing weird.  Takes way too much brain to figure that out, and I'm not sure Ayase has enough.

He should have stuck to the logical and factual stuff.  And I'll tell you what I REALLY liked about this episode... the SHOT at the media.  Thank the LORD someone finally loaded up a solid shell and fired it right at media responsibility.  The famous reporter made an erroneous claim, then like all newspapers and media personalities, apologizes for it, but in the smallest snippet or section of the newspaper that NOBODY EVER READS.  The media HATES admitting fault and they only do it because they have to or they can get sued.  So they stick those little blurbs on page... nine or whatever, and it's usually down in a little corner amongst the advertisements that everyone ignores.

But here we see a prime example of that media responsibility failing miserably.  Yeah, the famous reporter apologized, and it took some grunt work and research to find it.  Ayase never saw it.  Nobody did.  So the regular public is going around STILL THINKING the erroneous claims by the reporter are true.  Part of that is personal responsibility, and I fully accept that, but when you have the ability to influence MILLLLLLLLLIONS of people, you have a greater responsibility to make sure those MLLLLLLLLLIONS of people see your withdrawn statement.

Last snippet:

Hmm... Lots and lots of things I can take from those two angry revelations... The first one just pisses Kyousuke off, the second one catches him completely off guard.  Leads me to believe that there's way too many nuggets of truth here.  Kyousuke is aware that Manami acts like his puppy, but clearly wants to be protective of her, which means he likes her to some extent.  Kyousuke also knows that what she said might be true.  Has he not been a good brother to Kirino his whole life?  Is that why she immerses herself into these imouto games?  She's playing the role that she wanted him to be but he never provided?  Or is she just projecting on what the perfect brother should be based on those games?  Have they warped her understanding of reality?

Fascinating.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »
As a reader of the light novel, I obviously knew everything that was coming. Regardless, this is a faithful adaptation and I was pretty satisfied. One change they made was Kirino's announcement that "she didn't know those creeps". In the light novel, Kuroneko was smart enough to understand the situation, and immediately continued walking forward as if they didn't know Kirino. This change gives the audience a worse impression of Kirino than what the light novel intended.

USODA!

Give her a cleaver and she's all good to go.  ::)

Spoiler for Hiden:
jk, you're not going to see much of her yandere side from now on.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:45:08 PM by ImperialX »

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 07:55:20 PM »
You know, I had two thoughts when I watched this show. First off, what's up with the music? How many different instrumental renditions of the op do we really need? And worse, the rest of it is relatively mundane, which makes me question why in the world AIC could make such awesome visuals, and yet not get a good person to compose the music. You don't need a Yoko Kanno or any one like that (though that would be completely awesome), but hey, if you're going to try make a good show, and as I've mentioned before, they seem to be betting a lot on it to be a success, get some good music.

The other thing I thought about when I watched this episode was, strangely enough, that this show would be so much better with Studio Shaft visuals. With so much idle chit chat, and a lack of good music, experimental visuals would be perfect to compensate for those, like ef and Bakemonogatari before it (though the music for ef was great, before people start throwing things at me.) Just random, but it would make this show incredible in my eyes.

Now about the actual episode:
Has anyone noticed that every piece of serious drama is based on one theme, and one theme only? Okay, we know that "my hobby and my life are both a part of a person," you don't have to repeat it every episode. Really, we got it the first time. Good stories, at least in my experience, have themes that shift over time if introduced early on, think 1984 by George Orwell. All of the themes he introduces early on changes dramatically as the story becomes lighter, and then grimmer in tone. Hopefully, this show will do the same.

This episode suggests to me that the structure of this show is based on a monster of the week format. For the first two serious episodes we've seen thus far, we have a villain introduced in the opening minutes, Ayase and the father were introduced earlier, but not as antagonists until the beginning of their respective episodes. Then a conflict is introduced, Kirino gives up, random character development, Kyousuke gives up his reputation to save the day. It's strange to see this in a comedy, but yeah, that's the current trend. Someone should have jumped on that.

Finally, I want to extrapolate on the scenes that TIF was looking at. Dude, you got to look deeper than that, there's truly a lot in there. For example, the diction and the way she's facing in that first shot.  If I recall correctly, the first time that Kirino uses the diction "Neighbor Girl" was in episode 2, where it was more used as a way to mock Kyousuke, with only slight undertones of anger and jealousy. Here, the term takes on a totally different connotation. It shows her extreme jealousy towards this girl who figuratively stole her brother from her. What makes it more interesting is that she seems to be conflicted or perhaps embarrassed about this jealousy, based on the fact that she can't even look at him when she says it. This is in sharp contrast to the second shot, where she is very confrontational, looking directly at him.

I can't analyze the second scene the way I did the first scene, but it is very interesting regardless in terms of plot development. The viewer is as confused as Kyousuke is, having followed Kyousuke's perspective throughout the story. We, as the viewer, have never considered that Kyousuke could be the one at fault for the sorry state of affairs that we first see in episode 1, and thus naturally blame Kirino. With this revelation, we get a totally different perspective on the plot thus far, and it opens up a variety of different avenues for the plot to follow. It will be interesting to see.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2010, 09:38:59 PM »
5:
GOD I LOVE THIS SHOW!

My only gripe is the emotion of the voice actors at very specific points. When Kirino pops out behind the playground and starts screaming at the top of her lungs...maybe it's just a personal preference, but I hate when dramatic situations get loud. It made the whole situation feel.. stupid.

Also does anyone else feel like the "best-friend" has a COMPLETELY different personality than our first impression of her? In the "running-away-with-the-box" scene, she was so willing to completely forgive Kyōsuke for violating Kirino.

Kyōsuke gets bro of the year. They introduce the "best-friend" as an attractive, potential love interest, and in just one episode he's willingly humiliating himself in front of her.

Commenting on The Big Guy, I think they do a great job at approaching different angles of the main theme. We have family values, internal family relationships, the connection between media and social stigmas, "friends vs hobbies."  Also, I love the OP, and I think the visuals are incredibly interesting(like the one INSIDE the drinks!)

I would guess everyone reading this has run into a situation similar to Kirino. Being passionate about anime is seriously not "cool."  
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:44:42 PM by bluecheez »

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2010, 10:14:37 PM »
bluecheez:
I agree with you on that they have done a good job applying the theme to different context. However, my issue is that they took almost all of Kirino's monologue in episode 3, and then placed it into episode 5 with minor variations to go along with the friend problem. It doesn't tread new ground in terms of insight, it just repeats the same idea. That needs to change. My hope is that they expand on the theme so that it doesn't get repetitive. Then again, the fact that it has an actual theme is impressive in itself, so maybe I shouldn't be judging so harshly,

The OP music is awesome, just it doesn't need to be repeated 2-3 times every episode.

I have commented on another thread that I think that this show has the best visuals this season, I just thought that this episode would be great with Studio Shaft visuals. Just my personal preference.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2010, 06:11:46 PM »
Okay, yeah I agree. I'm hoping not to hear any more monologues about her passion of eroge as well. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11  All   Go Up