Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 03:39:41 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ore no Imouto  (Read 37400 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Ore no Imouto
« on: October 04, 2010, 05:21:03 AM »
1:

You know what, I'm kinda sick of this show already.

Okay, here's the lowdown: two siblings are sick of each other, but the brother finds out about his sister's otaku lifestyle, especially her imouto fetish. Does her fetish involve something sexual, we don't know. She claims that it doesn't, but I don't buy it. C'mon, she's playing R-18 stuff!

I don't like this show one bit. The art is crisp and the animation is smooth, but there's nothing particularly worthy about this show. It just seems like a show aiming at viewers with similar otaku hobbies, and it's clearly obvious that Kinoko is quite the tsundere. Yes, it does seem clever to have a loli sister who likes loli sisters, but her haughty "tsun" factor is already rubbing me the wrong way.

Sankaku idiots call this the best show of the seasons... but idiots are just idiots, and I bet these are the same idiots who hailed HOTD as a "god among anime".

Offline bluecheez

Re: Ore no Imouto
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:31:14 PM »
Oh come on. Haruhi was a tsundere. Did you dump the entire series because of her character archtype? I think this show is reminiscent of Welcome to the NHK, and I, for one, think that it certainly has potential to be a great, super-awkward comedy.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 07:34:19 PM »
Which Haruhi are you talking about? Ouran High School Host Club or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? I like the former a lot, but the latter is too overrated in my view. I belong to the camp that believes that TMoHS isn't as marvelous as what others think.

And I've yet to watch Welcome to the NHK. I've been meaning to watch it, though.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:40:48 PM »
Suzumiya Haruhi isn't a tsundere.  She's an elitist brat, especially in the novels.  She treats everybody as if they exist only for her, her amusement, and to prove her superiority and for at least Yuki, Mikuru, and Koizumi this is true.  The irony is she's unaware of it.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline hoarfrost

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 04:58:43 PM »
 It looks like we're really going to have our fill of incestuous implications with this season! At least this one is somewhat subtle about it.

One thing I do find amusing is that the irony of having an obsession with moe imoutos and being a little brat is totally lost on her, possible closet bro-con implications aside.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 05:57:23 PM »
I'm willing to give this show a chance simply because it could be funny and possibly good if they go the right direction with it. (A.K.A the less incest the better, thank you very much) For whatever reason, I could relate to the whole "I want to be accepted despite my hobby" schtick and if it expands on that, I think it could be decent. If it tries to expand on the incest, this show is going into the trash bin. The fact that ANN is simulcasting it gives me hope, but that doesn't mean anything, considering some of the shows that are been simulcast in the past...

With that being said, I still haven't reached what could be the biggest problem in this show. The first episode wasn't actually funny. At all. Hopefully that's just because its a setup episode, but it always concerns me when a comedy doesn't make me laugh, at all. I hope for the best.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 11:46:26 PM »
1:

AC's pretty much nailed this one.  Exactly how much life do they think they can get out of a scenario like this?  The entire conflict is set up by keeping her hobby a secret?  Okay.  Done.  Took half a second.  Oh sure, there'll be a couple of "ALMOST" moments, but really... you can't exactly drag this out and have it work.

Just ask Kaicho wa Maid-Sama.

Anyway, since this is going to somehow end up a little sister fetish romance, I don't have a ton of hope that it will be anything resembling good.  So surprise me.  Otherwise you end up back on the trash heap where you started.

Offline ekka4shiki

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 02:07:59 AM »
1:

I don't get it ...

Okay, the theme is kinda unique ( i want imouto like that :P ), but the presentation is not good enough ... i mean , this is supposed to be comedy, right ? funny , i'm hardly laughing at it ...

But since it's only the beginning , i can forgive that ... Assuming it would be interesting on later episode ...

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 01:11:41 PM »
2:

Hm.

So the majority of this episode is spent with big brother helping little sister find some otaku friends.  I realize she's more of a social gal in the school yard sense, but I do find it hard to believe she hadn't come up with the idea of looking online for other otaku friends by herself.  Meh, whatever.  Maybe she was testing him.

As for the meetup, I sort of felt for our heroine a bit.  It isn't often one of the "cool kids" is ostracized by a social grouping.  It's not that she deserved it, it's just how it goes.  The irony, of course, is she was completely vexed by the social stigma associated with otaku, and she ends up getting a bit of it herself.  Not because she's "gross" to the group, but she's hard to approach.

The question is, did she do that on purpose?  Was she sabotaging her first meeting with otaku friends?  "I'm an otaku but not like YOU otaku" type sabotage?  She wants to maintain some sense of social superiority while still being down in the "gutter" so to speak.  In the end, it's her own fault, as some others pointed out.  However, it does seem like the girls in the group gave up on her a bit too easily just because she's wise to fashion.  Typically when you can get a group of diverse individuals involved, you can start learning things from each other.  The others didn't take the opportunity to learn about stuff they may not have known about before.

Still, it's not important because most of them are "no names".  The only ones who matter were the ones obviously differentiated from the group like she was, which leads to the smaller get together later.  A typical nerd rage bitch fight later, and things are looking bright for our hipster / nerd.

As for Broski, I actually kind of laughed at his reaction to the maid cafe.  I have to admit, if I had no prior knowledge of maid cafes and went into one completely on accident or unknowingly, I might be creeped out by it.  I mean, having some strange girl in a maid outfit calling me "onii-chan" would just get me wanting to leave.  On the flip side, finding a "tsundere" themed one would be a great way of trolling a bud.  "Hey dude, I know this great spot around the corner..."

So, like, as Broski points out, the counseling is "over".  So now what do we do for a plot?

Last point:  God this is gorgeously animated.  AIC is just handling the visuals for this marvelously.  When the entire episode has the some fluidity as the intro, you know someone's popping the budget bank a bit.  I hope it lasts.  Sure, gorgeousness is not a substitute for a good story, but it helps pass the time.

Offline hoarfrost

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 02:30:27 PM »
I can sort of empathize with little sister. She has her genuine likes, but she can't be open about them because of the negative connotation they are associated with. Who among us hasn't been there? "Well I like X, but I'm not like the other people who like X!". Following those types of negative associations at once keeps people from breaking them and from getting to know individuals that they might actually like. This show illustrates the problematic nature of the idea that "If you like this you must be like this" or vice versa by giving the main girl a conflict of identity because of it, and by putting her on the dishing and receiving end of it.

Maybe in the long run I'll come to find out that I've given it too much credit, but for now my regard for this show has risen somewhat.

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 10:12:30 PM »
@AC Not that anyone here actually likes my opinions, but personally I think Welcome to the NHK is amazing. The showed the hilarious and embarrassing situations otaku can get themselves into because of their hobby. At the same time it addresses social issues, finding and discovering meaning in life, and knows how to laugh at itself.

2:

I can't believe no one talked about how awesome this fight is. They are addressing EXACTLY what you have a problem with in K-On!, if a show is good because of popularity or ratings.

I've never played an eroge, but I find the show to be extremely relate-able. Managing what you love with what society deems socially acceptable is tough. I think it's hilarious that they point out the ridiculous fights that will happen among the social outcasts. As if these two aren't isolated enough.

Offline Elineas

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 12:01:56 AM »
I find it funny that this season we have quite a few shows that have, of all things, good execution within their first few episodes, which has been sorely lacking in most shows for a while. On the other hand, none of them have been able to pull their weight in terms of appeal, which really kills any kind of strong attachment to any of the series. This one, for instance, is not over the top with its plot and strives to maintain a level of reservedness that is admirable. On the other hand, I'm not really seeing this go anywhere; it has some amusing winks at the audience like bluecheez and TIF have pointed out, but I hardly expect it to follow through in any way. It just fails to pull in any kind of appeal that will allow it to be memorable.

But yeah, that fight was probably the most amusing thing in the show. You know it's true! *whistles*

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 02:52:36 AM »
@TIF

Well, I haven't watched Welcome to the NHK yet, but I have been hearing mixed views about it. It's quite the show that stirs people up one way or another, so I'll check it out soon.

2:

Quite a mixed episode for me, and here's why:

I find the OP quite pleasant to watch. It's not as hyperactive as Lucky Star, but not as jarringly slow that it's quite inappropriate for a light-hearted show. It's a decent OP.

Kirino still hasn't won any substantial favor from me. She has exhibited some short moments of approval for her brother's support of her otaku habits, but it hasn't changed her character which to me is irritating. She's still an elitist, tsundere-like, standoffish, spoilt ingrate who hasn't really acknowledge what Kyousuke had to put up with. Sometimes it's to the point that I feel sympathetic towards Kyousuke, and that the only reason Kyousuke is putting up with her attitude is because of the unconditional sunk cost: Kirino's his sister. Her character is interesting as a valid representative of the otaku lifestyle, but an irritating character is still an irritating character.

The IRL meeting scene... it's quite okay to me. It's enlightening to watch such a scene since I've been to my university anime club IRL meeting before. I don't know if the portrayal of the club girls is very true; for a long time, I've had the impression that otaku guys and girls are more... rabid, especially when they're in a certain topic.

That bitch fight between the Kirino and the emo girl, now that's a great scene. It takes an elitist to know an elitist, so it's something I can relate to since, although I don't consider myself as an otaku, I admit that I am an elitist to a certain extent. Although it almost reached to a boiling point, more importantly, it reflects how disagreement is ironically what brings anime lovers together. Opinions differ between people and it's an individual right, but at the same time, criticizing others' opinions is nothing wrong. There is a thin line separating criticising people's tastes and forcing your ideas on others, after all.

But even until now, I can't help but feel that this show is still an otaku-pandering product that you would see being worshipped in Sankaku Complex or something. It's bound to be overrated given the premises, and that's what rubs me the wrong way. It's not a terrible show, but it's one that doesn't always win my favor either.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:15:43 AM by AC »

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 04:29:07 AM »
I kinda think that's selling this show a bit short.  The issue that this show faces is, as has been discussed in this thread, longevity, but I really can't say I've had any issue with the execution to this point (which is only the first ep).  It's only pandering if that's what you're looking for from this show.  It's not blatant moexploitation like Nogizaka Haruka was, a show that shares some similarities with this one.  At this point, I see it more as an ironic twist on imouto moe.  And, in most cases, a capacity for irony kinda mitigates any chance of it being blatant pandering... unless you view it completely without irony.

Ep 1

It boils down to an anime where two people have to come together to protect a secret.  Let's see, Maid-sama, Nogizaka Haruka, Karin, the list goes on.  It's been done, but this is the first time that those two people have been siblings.  Some of these anime have been atrocious (Maid-sama was disappointing considering what it could have been while Nogizaka Haruka is one of the most cynically moe anime I've seen), but others like Karin have been quite enjoyable for what they are.  That's what I'm hoping for with this show, and, just like with Maid-sama and Kimi ni Todoke, a movie format strikes me as more appropriate for the premise we have.  But I can't see any reason to complain about the execution.  There's this underlayer throughout the first half of the episode where the entire world seems to be screaming at Kyousuke "have sex with your sister!"  I particularly enjoyed the dinner scene where there's a cop show playing on the TV in the background constantly saying things like "the culprit is among us" while Kyousuke is trying to figure out who owns the imouto eroge.  It's little things like that which say that whoever's making this show is paying attention to the details.

The irony of it, of course, is that Kirino has a huge collection of imouto ero games which she plays while putting herself into the role of the big brother, not the little sister as most of us would think natural (well, about as natural as could possibly be in this sort of situation).  If she was fantasizing about being the little sister then we could probably safely say that she attracted to Kyousuke, most likely subconsciously, but because that's not the case and she adamantly stresses that she's not getting "2D" and "3D" mixed up, we have to take her at face value at this point.  Now, if this were hentai, we'd all know where this were going, but it's not, and while the romantic ending is the most likely at this point (assuming we get an ending at all), it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't happen, and this entire thing turned out to be an exercise in the two siblings getting to know each other better and coming to understand each other.  I don't think I'd mind that sort of ending.

Whatever the case, I'm not expecting anything particularly deep or profound, but given the opening ep, my expectations are set for something enjoyable at the very least.  Let's hope it doesn't stick around past its used by date.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 02:46:06 AM »
Ep 2
I've never played an eroge, but I find the show to be extremely relate-able. Managing what you love with what society deems socially acceptable is tough. I think it's hilarious that they point out the ridiculous fights that will happen among the social outcasts. As if these two aren't isolated enough.
Well, it's not like Kirino is isolated, but it's pretty clear that this whole life counseling ordeal is about her trying to find acceptance.  And yeah, the way they captured that bizarre feeling of mixed emotions you get after you finish a VN was really well done.  I think it's relateable because you can often get it at the end of an anime as well, except the feeling of accomplishment isn't so extreme (it's not as challenging to watch an anime all the way through, unless that anime is really bad).

I might be in the minority here, but I'm seriously enjoying this show.  It also has this really funny way of inciting a whole heap of awkwardness in Kyousuke about his (obviously attractive) little sister, eg, the omerice with "I love you, Onii-chan" written on it.  And it does these things with immaculate timing.  And yet, despite them, I really can't see an incestuous relationship developing at all.  The way I see it, the closer they become, the less effect these cues the universe constantly drop son Kyousuke that his sister is attractive will have on him.  The whole otaku secret thing is, of course, a plot device to bring the two of them together, but I really think the writers have shown a pretty damn good grasp of the experiences and challenges of being a socially maligned nerd.

Offline ekka4shiki

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 02:15:26 AM »
2:

Okay , this one is better than the previous episode . The fact that i can actually laugh is enough reason for me to continue watching this show.

Oh, and the anime parody. That's hilarious. But , that's make me wonder if someone who haven't watch that certain anime can actually get the parody . From what i see, many giggle moments come from reference of certain anime and eroge. Unlike Ookami-san to shichinin no Nakama tachi which is playing with fairy tale everyone knows about , the decision to make reference to anime/eroge (especially if they using it too much) can only producee "I don`t get it" moment for those simply don't know about it.

Oh , and why is Kirino has School Day on her eroge collection ? From what i remember, she only have interest in imouto theme eroge , right ?

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 02:37:14 AM »
A reference drop.  I'm pretty sure the vast majority of her eroge collection feature real titles.  I'm certain I saw Cross Channel and Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka in there as well.

Offline ekka4shiki

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 02:53:15 AM »
err , so that's just for the sake of reference huh ... Even though School Day is not imouto theme ...

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 01:35:59 PM »
I haven't played nor watched School Days but I'm fairly sure there's a loli "imoutou" type character in there.  Even if it doesn't match, how many of us have bought or rented a game or movie based on something we've heard or what someone told us and found out it wasn't that at all.  Maybe she bought it by mistake.  Not really something to force our heads around.

BTW, I brushed over the "nerd fight" in my post simply because I thought that kind of thing was fairly normal for western anime fans.  Ever browse /a/ for five minutes?  My tastes > your tastes this, elitist opinion that... etc.  Just figured that was how it went.

Shit, I still get into arguments with yaoi fans for wasting their time.

Offline hoarfrost

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 10:34:55 PM »

I lol'd hard at this.

What can you even reply to that? It was like walking into a dead end.

Edit by TIF:

Picture shrank.  Pet peeve of mine.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:43:45 PM by TypicalIdiotFan »

Offline moe

• teh DDR is teh tasteys!

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 11:32:42 PM »
all i got to say about episode 3 was, he took one for the team. and by team i mean his sister.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 03:35:23 AM »
Ep 3

This is what Nogizaka Haruka should have been.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 06:37:19 AM »
3:

If this show has more episodes like this, I may actually change my impression for good.

This show is showing apparent signs of improvements. The first episode didn't impress me one bit. But after that enlightening nerd fight in the last episode and then this whole cat-out-of-the-bag in this episode, this show is not all about lulzy otaku-pandering. I can actually see how down-to-earth the characters and their dialogues are, and how genuine the relationship between Kirino and Kyousuke, and the friendship between Kirino and her otaku friends.

I can see that this show would be overrated by people with similar otaku hobbies, but now I wouldn't call it a bad show. I would acknowledge the merits now, especially when the scene with Kirino's dad is something real and credible. Kirino's dad is old-school, but he still has his senses. He's clearly not like some completely unreasonable and intolerant fathers out there who would kick his children out of the house.

And I can admire how Kyousuke sticks it up for his sister, even if it's for some morally questionable hobby or if it means to be a big pain in the ass towards his own dad. I know that the otaku references and content would interest a certain group of viewers, but I'm sticking to this show for the drama.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 12:02:07 PM »
3:

Okay, now I'm left with the same problem I had at the end of episode 2:  Now what?  The conflict has been resolved.  From here on out, what's the hook?

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this.  I'm not sure that I appreciated the drama of episode 3 like AC did.  I felt it was a bit over the top on Kyousuke's part.  Dad was making some fine and logical arguments while Kyousuke was making impassioned speeches about morality and weirdness and whatnot.  I found it hard to be on his side.

Still, he took one for his sister, and with how the Dad laid out the meaning behind such an activity, you'd think he'd have been in some serious shit.  But apparently Dad is allowing his son a lot more forgiveness while being on a destructive pathway that could threaten his daughter.  I'm just saying.  If I found out my son was interested in little sister porn and had a little sister who was a beautiful young model, I might have to lock him away somewhere...

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 03:00:23 PM »
AIC is really playing this safe. The original scene from the light novel is quite a lot more dramatic, since it involved
Spoiler for Hiden:
Kirino trying to attack her dad with an ashtray. Her dad then realiated by knocking her to the ground. Kyousuke then promised his dad that he will eventually throw all her stuff out personaly, in exchange for the dad to never go to her room. AIC changed this to Kyousuke lying to his dad saying all those eroges are his. I'm not sure why they did this change.

Now what?  The conflict has been resolved.  From here on out, what's the hook?

Well, this is a romantic comedy, after all...in fact
Spoiler for Hiden:
this will turn into a harem with slight suggestions of incest. Several characters you already know will fall for Kyousuke. In the latest light novel it's already quite apparent Kirino has feelings for her brother.

All in all, I can promise this story has a lot more to offer. I don't think it will disappoint you. It didn't disappoint me, at least.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 06:58:40 PM »
AIC is really playing this safe. The original scene from the light novel is quite a lot more dramatic, since it involved
Spoiler for Hiden:
Kirino trying to attack her dad with an ashtray. Her dad then realiated by knocking her to the ground. Kyousuke then promised his dad that he will eventually throw all her stuff out personaly, in exchange for the dad to never go to her room. AIC changed this to Kyousuke lying to his dad saying all those eroges are his. I'm not sure why they did this change.
I'm not sure if the original source material would've worked better in this context. The show so far has been somewhere between light-hearted comedy and slice-of-life, so to have such a dramatic scene (like the one in this spoiler) can leave quite a sour aftertaste. Having two or more disparate aspects within a show can result in a mess, something that Ookami-san and MM have fallen into.

@TIF

I do think that Kyousuke is overdoing his defense for his sister. It's even to the point that he doesn't make any sense and he's purely speaking based on passion, even when it's originally supposed to logically convince his stubborn dad (who's not that stubborn, anyway). But I think his unconditional defense for his sister takes precedence over being an ass toward his dad. Sure, his way of arguing with his dad isn't as charismatic as say, Takanashi's way of arguing with Inami's dad, but his intention is something I think is noble as a brother.

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 07:28:27 PM »
3:
Well, I'm glad you guys are finally enjoying it! :D 

At one point or another this episode was a little too overdramatic for my tastes, but I still am really enjoying it.

I actually started my first eroge because of this show. xD Don't judge! (BTW, has anyone played Yume Miru Kasuri. My friend recommended it, and I hate the main character and want to complain to someone about it, lol)

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 10:46:10 PM »
Haven't read it myself, but I've heard it's really good.

Anyway, probably a good time to pimp my review of the OP Single.  More info on the main site soon.

Offline ekka4shiki

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 09:15:44 PM »
3:

I like ep 3 ...

Some scene is kinda overdramatic , but i think it's more interesting than any previous ep.
Keep it up and maybe this anime will become somewhat exceed expectation ...

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 02:38:39 AM »
4:

I laughed at the video game. It's the cheesy kind of stuff that a handful of people actually enjoy in RL.

From this point on, the theme of the show is about the otaku lifestyle through the eyes of a layman (i.e. Kyousuke), with his little sister as the so-called tour guide to the journey.

Kyousuke's online chat reminds me a little about myself, especially my naivety whenever I chat online with someone I've never met in person before. You always tell yourself not to judge what you see on the monitor, but the thing is, it's just the human thing to do so. The lack of visibility is after all, one of the traits offer by the Internet.

And we have a compromising scene that, like Kyousuke quoted, seems to be straight out of an eroge... but this time, the girl is your little sister. It's awkward at its best, and if I were Kyousuke, I'd be flabbergasted.

The Summer Comiket scenes are quite a viewing pleasure to me; they don't necessarily feel like otaku-pandering scenes, and it looks like something more politically correct catered for the average viewer (which is a good thing).

Now, we have another person who knows about Kirino's double-lifestyle and this person has a connection with Kirino's brother. I wonder how things will turn out from here.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 04:44:18 AM »
Didn't enjoy this ep quite as much as the previous ones, although it did have its moments (eg, the tsundere argument between Kirino and Ruri... I was giggling like an idiot just as much as Kyousuke and Saori were).  As far as the plot is concerned, well, the secret coming under threat had to happen sooner rather than later.  The fact it was Ayase that found out, rather than Kanako, means that it probably has a better chance of not being completely exposed to everyone.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 04:22:58 PM »
In this post, Scamp overreacts over one little fanservice scene, and manages to make a big deal out of nothing.

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2010, 11:50:11 AM »
4:  A love interest?  =D  Things are getting interesting!
Uh, yeah the whole fanservice thing was a little bit uncalled for, but whatever. I didn't think of it as fanservice as much as I thought of it as a cliche plot device. It did serve a purpose, considering that the sister's bestfriend now is wary of the brother.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2010, 02:52:32 PM »
In this post, Scamp overreacts over one little fanservice scene, and manages to make a big deal out of nothing.

No shit he did.  After watching 4 myself, I admit it is pretty out of nowhere and, thus, jarring.  There could have been better ways to set up the meeting between the brother and her friend.  I guess the point is that the scene doesn't HAVE to happen at all, and thus it becomes a rather glaring pock mark even if it is just a "throw-away" fanservice moment.

Still, he is going completely bonkers.  I think that, inevitably, this show IS going to degrade to an incetuous romance.  The irony within irony within irony has already been set up.  But for now, it really didn't mean anything other than "people fall, land on boobs, skirts fly up at the slightest provocation and... oh by the way, this is ****ing anime and not reality."

As for sister's friend, she's going to turn out to be a manipulative bitch, isn't she?  She may indeed want brother for herself, and now that she knows "teh secret", might use that to get what she wants.  If the aim of this show is to have one "normal" character with a seemingly random and contradictory hobby, then it stands to reason that another "normal" character is going to have a peculiar "real" personality as well.  In short, it's Shugo Chara without the floating acid trips.  Or, as House puts it:  "everyone lies".

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2010, 03:18:40 PM »
Still, he is going completely bonkers.  I think that, inevitably, this show IS going to degrade to an incetuous romance. 

Actually it's going to
Spoiler for Hiden:
become a harem with no sign of any incest yet.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2010, 09:49:37 PM »
5:

The hell just happened?

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010, 03:22:13 AM »
The best ep of the series so far, that's what!

Ep 5

Ayase seems to be the sort of person who sees the world in black-and-white.  To her, it's incongruous that an otaku, ie, criminal in waiting and her perfect, popular, pretty best friend could comprise the same person.  I think this is a conflict that needed to happen.  It's certainly different from Nogizaka Haruka from the point of view that anyone who found out about her secret just took it in their stride (quietly ignoring her backstory).  Someone fragrantly anti-otaku had to find out.

I had no problem with the direction this went in, even though Kirino's statement that she couldn't lose Ayase wasn't exactly the most convincing thing in the world.  The way the anime has presented things in previous episodes kinda suggested that Kirino's hobby (or, more importantly, Kirino's friendship with Ruri) is more valuable to her than her friendship with Ayase.  Interestingly, she almost lost both in this episode.  Not her hobby, but her friendship with Ruri.  It doesn't matter what she'd said, she couldn't lose her hobby, because hobbies don't have feelings.  Maybe it would have been more compelling if the question had been framed in terms of that, ie, which friend does she want to keep, rather than, which does she want to keep, her hobby or Ayase.  But, like I said, I liked which direction it went in.  Another example of Kyousuke sacrificing his ego to protect his sister.  It's nice.  Really sweet, especially at the end.

Edit: Also, this director has a love affair with reflections and lensed images (almost as much as the writer has a love affair with tsunderes).

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:39:43 AM by Sorrow-kun »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2010, 04:29:57 AM »
5:

Boy, do we have a big platter this time round.

I'm not as charged up as Sorrow-kun on this episode, but I do give credit that this episode is more substantial than your average anime episode.

The scene where Ayase meets Kyousuke, Kirino and her two friends is a slightly mixed bag for me. Ayase's detective-like suspicion is a little perplexing; it looks a little exaggerated and forced. We know that back then, Ayase was showing signs of her phobia against otakuism. Her quote "I hate lies" feels very superficial; is it lies that she really hates, or otakuism itself?

Kyousuke seems to be slowly but gradually becoming an otaku himself. Is this a good direction on the show's part? iirc This is discussed on our blog before.

Ayase is an intriguing example of the intolerant type of people towards a hobby that has a big question marks floating above it. I agree with Sorrow-kun that she's the type that sees everything in either black or white (a moe version of Rorschach :O ). Ayase did raise valid points to back up her argument, but let's not forget that she is also the example of people who gets easily swayed by the media and not try to be more level-headed about things.

I'm trying to think more about what kind of person Ayase really is. Is that piece of terrible Siscalypse news the cause of her intolerance towards otakuism, or just a trigger to her latent hatred towards otakuism from the very beginning?

And yes, Kyousuke resorted back to his passionate solution to bring Kirino and Ayase back together. Looking back at this, it doesn't really solve Ayase's intolerance problem. It's just a diversion to change Ayase's attention towards Kyousuke to blame for the "weird hobbies". This is what I feel mixed about: glazing over the truth on Kirino's loli-fetish with incest.

This is a good episode, but I won't call it great. But with this, I conclude that Akira is wrong about Kyosuke bonking Ayase in the end?

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2010, 02:28:10 PM »
I think that Kyōsuke handled it quite well, until he made the passionate speech about his love for Kirin, as despite the speech not being bad in itself, was said in a way that made him sound like a incestuous pervert.

Though, now there is potential for the relationship between Kyōsuke and Ayase to develop in a more interesting way than it might of been had it been 'all sailing'.

On a side note - I am surprised that Kyōsuke could take such a vicious kick and still remain focused on the conversation, showing true dedication to his sister, which was certainly virtuous of him.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2010, 03:12:20 PM »
I think that Kyōsuke handled it quite well, until he made the passionate speech about his love for Kirin, as despite the speech not being bad in itself, was said in a way that made him sound like a incestuous pervert.

See, it's that last part that bugs me.  There was no way at all I could take that speech as anything other than what Ayase did.  But Kyousuke seemed confused by her reaction.  Besides that, how exactly would that make things okay for Kirino?  She's the one with the otaku hobby about little sisters, and here she is, a little sister.  Does Ayase think Kyousuke forced Kirino into liking little sister manga and eroge?  I mean, considering how idiotic Ayase is for most of this episode, I could buy that she's dumb enough to make a weird connection like that, but what about Kirino's fierce defense of her hobby?  How does that work?

I get that Kyousuke THOUGHT that by seeming to be an otaku himself, that he and his sister have formed a powerful bond through fandom, and Kirino's love of her hobby isn't for the hobby but the bond with her brother, and therefore Kirino isn't choosing her hobby over Ayase but her BROTHER over Ayase, but... the whole thing just comes out ****ing weird.  Takes way too much brain to figure that out, and I'm not sure Ayase has enough.

He should have stuck to the logical and factual stuff.  And I'll tell you what I REALLY liked about this episode... the SHOT at the media.  Thank the LORD someone finally loaded up a solid shell and fired it right at media responsibility.  The famous reporter made an erroneous claim, then like all newspapers and media personalities, apologizes for it, but in the smallest snippet or section of the newspaper that NOBODY EVER READS.  The media HATES admitting fault and they only do it because they have to or they can get sued.  So they stick those little blurbs on page... nine or whatever, and it's usually down in a little corner amongst the advertisements that everyone ignores.

But here we see a prime example of that media responsibility failing miserably.  Yeah, the famous reporter apologized, and it took some grunt work and research to find it.  Ayase never saw it.  Nobody did.  So the regular public is going around STILL THINKING the erroneous claims by the reporter are true.  Part of that is personal responsibility, and I fully accept that, but when you have the ability to influence MILLLLLLLLLIONS of people, you have a greater responsibility to make sure those MLLLLLLLLLIONS of people see your withdrawn statement.

Last snippet:

Hmm... Lots and lots of things I can take from those two angry revelations... The first one just pisses Kyousuke off, the second one catches him completely off guard.  Leads me to believe that there's way too many nuggets of truth here.  Kyousuke is aware that Manami acts like his puppy, but clearly wants to be protective of her, which means he likes her to some extent.  Kyousuke also knows that what she said might be true.  Has he not been a good brother to Kirino his whole life?  Is that why she immerses herself into these imouto games?  She's playing the role that she wanted him to be but he never provided?  Or is she just projecting on what the perfect brother should be based on those games?  Have they warped her understanding of reality?

Fascinating.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »
As a reader of the light novel, I obviously knew everything that was coming. Regardless, this is a faithful adaptation and I was pretty satisfied. One change they made was Kirino's announcement that "she didn't know those creeps". In the light novel, Kuroneko was smart enough to understand the situation, and immediately continued walking forward as if they didn't know Kirino. This change gives the audience a worse impression of Kirino than what the light novel intended.

USODA!

Give her a cleaver and she's all good to go.  ::)

Spoiler for Hiden:
jk, you're not going to see much of her yandere side from now on.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:45:08 PM by ImperialX »

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 07:55:20 PM »
You know, I had two thoughts when I watched this show. First off, what's up with the music? How many different instrumental renditions of the op do we really need? And worse, the rest of it is relatively mundane, which makes me question why in the world AIC could make such awesome visuals, and yet not get a good person to compose the music. You don't need a Yoko Kanno or any one like that (though that would be completely awesome), but hey, if you're going to try make a good show, and as I've mentioned before, they seem to be betting a lot on it to be a success, get some good music.

The other thing I thought about when I watched this episode was, strangely enough, that this show would be so much better with Studio Shaft visuals. With so much idle chit chat, and a lack of good music, experimental visuals would be perfect to compensate for those, like ef and Bakemonogatari before it (though the music for ef was great, before people start throwing things at me.) Just random, but it would make this show incredible in my eyes.

Now about the actual episode:
Has anyone noticed that every piece of serious drama is based on one theme, and one theme only? Okay, we know that "my hobby and my life are both a part of a person," you don't have to repeat it every episode. Really, we got it the first time. Good stories, at least in my experience, have themes that shift over time if introduced early on, think 1984 by George Orwell. All of the themes he introduces early on changes dramatically as the story becomes lighter, and then grimmer in tone. Hopefully, this show will do the same.

This episode suggests to me that the structure of this show is based on a monster of the week format. For the first two serious episodes we've seen thus far, we have a villain introduced in the opening minutes, Ayase and the father were introduced earlier, but not as antagonists until the beginning of their respective episodes. Then a conflict is introduced, Kirino gives up, random character development, Kyousuke gives up his reputation to save the day. It's strange to see this in a comedy, but yeah, that's the current trend. Someone should have jumped on that.

Finally, I want to extrapolate on the scenes that TIF was looking at. Dude, you got to look deeper than that, there's truly a lot in there. For example, the diction and the way she's facing in that first shot.  If I recall correctly, the first time that Kirino uses the diction "Neighbor Girl" was in episode 2, where it was more used as a way to mock Kyousuke, with only slight undertones of anger and jealousy. Here, the term takes on a totally different connotation. It shows her extreme jealousy towards this girl who figuratively stole her brother from her. What makes it more interesting is that she seems to be conflicted or perhaps embarrassed about this jealousy, based on the fact that she can't even look at him when she says it. This is in sharp contrast to the second shot, where she is very confrontational, looking directly at him.

I can't analyze the second scene the way I did the first scene, but it is very interesting regardless in terms of plot development. The viewer is as confused as Kyousuke is, having followed Kyousuke's perspective throughout the story. We, as the viewer, have never considered that Kyousuke could be the one at fault for the sorry state of affairs that we first see in episode 1, and thus naturally blame Kirino. With this revelation, we get a totally different perspective on the plot thus far, and it opens up a variety of different avenues for the plot to follow. It will be interesting to see.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2010, 09:38:59 PM »
5:
GOD I LOVE THIS SHOW!

My only gripe is the emotion of the voice actors at very specific points. When Kirino pops out behind the playground and starts screaming at the top of her lungs...maybe it's just a personal preference, but I hate when dramatic situations get loud. It made the whole situation feel.. stupid.

Also does anyone else feel like the "best-friend" has a COMPLETELY different personality than our first impression of her? In the "running-away-with-the-box" scene, she was so willing to completely forgive Kyōsuke for violating Kirino.

Kyōsuke gets bro of the year. They introduce the "best-friend" as an attractive, potential love interest, and in just one episode he's willingly humiliating himself in front of her.

Commenting on The Big Guy, I think they do a great job at approaching different angles of the main theme. We have family values, internal family relationships, the connection between media and social stigmas, "friends vs hobbies."  Also, I love the OP, and I think the visuals are incredibly interesting(like the one INSIDE the drinks!)

I would guess everyone reading this has run into a situation similar to Kirino. Being passionate about anime is seriously not "cool."  
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:44:42 PM by bluecheez »

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2010, 10:14:37 PM »
bluecheez:
I agree with you on that they have done a good job applying the theme to different context. However, my issue is that they took almost all of Kirino's monologue in episode 3, and then placed it into episode 5 with minor variations to go along with the friend problem. It doesn't tread new ground in terms of insight, it just repeats the same idea. That needs to change. My hope is that they expand on the theme so that it doesn't get repetitive. Then again, the fact that it has an actual theme is impressive in itself, so maybe I shouldn't be judging so harshly,

The OP music is awesome, just it doesn't need to be repeated 2-3 times every episode.

I have commented on another thread that I think that this show has the best visuals this season, I just thought that this episode would be great with Studio Shaft visuals. Just my personal preference.

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2010, 06:11:46 PM »
Okay, yeah I agree. I'm hoping not to hear any more monologues about her passion of eroge as well. 

Offline Elineas

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2010, 01:22:56 AM »
I didn't think of it this way when I first started watching the show, but TIF's comment has been bugging me ever since.

How far can we go with this premise? What is the overarching plot?

Whenever a problem appears, it's tidily cleaned up, and then the same problem with a different spin occurs. It doesn't help that a lot of these conflicts are resolved by Kyousuke's hot-blooded speeches, which smacks of "shout at the problem until it goes away." I might have to agree with Scamp on this one, although his overreaction over the fanservice scene is clearly a false alarm. On all other fronts OreImo moves well, it's just that I can't see anyone throwing all of their dignity to the dogs for his sister every time someone finds out about her hobby, especially when there are more tame ways to solve the situation.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2010, 01:26:43 AM »
6:

Kyousuke sure said some messed-up stuff:

- Just about anyone would think that Kyousuke and Manami are an item, like Kyousuke's friend said. It's too obvious. Is Kyousuke that dense to realize that almost everyone would have this impression about them?

- Kyousuke described Manami as a "very kind old Grandma that has transformed into a 15-year old girl". What kind of kind Grandma does he exactly have in mind? Manami is actually more waifish than a granny. Is he aware of this?

- Is he also aware that her kindness may have an ulterior motive (i.e. she really likes him?). Her advances justify it: the sleep-on-my-lap thing, inviting him to her room, sleeping together in the same room, etc. Is he that dense yet again, or is he deliberately ignoring her advances?

- Kyousuke considers Manami as a childhood friend but wouldn't let any guy date her. Is he that damn selfish, or does he not know where to draw the line between friendship and boy-girl relationship? I think his questionable logic justifies why he yelled hot-blooded stuff at Ayase and his dad: he means well, but he can be an idiot.

The whole Grandpa-play-dead is amusing, although my inner critic thinks it's a tad exaggerated. If Grandpa does smell like a dead body, then... man, must he stink. This scene simply calls for suspension of disbelief, so I won't bitch further.

Even so, I love Manami's grandpa. There's a whimsical old man right there: I find his lame excuses to get Kyousuke and Manami together funny. *chuckles*

I don't get Iwao's presence. What's his purpose in the show? A filler character?

No matter how you look at her, Manami's pure HNNNGGH.

Kirino's pissed that her playmate is away for the whole day. AWWW... makes you wonder what will happen when Kirino and Manami cross paths :<

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2010, 04:36:23 AM »
6:

Gonna do mine by just addressing AC's stuff.

Kyousuke sure said some messed-up stuff:

- Just about anyone would think that Kyousuke and Manami are an item, like Kyousuke's friend said. It's too obvious. Is Kyousuke that dense to realize that almost everyone would have this impression about them?

The thing about childhood friends is that you get comfortable with them to a point where you don't really notice it.  I had a few girlfriends like those, but had to move away and lost touch with all of them.  Even now I doubt I could see them as anything but family.

- Kyousuke described Manami as a "very kind old Grandma that has transformed into a 15-year old girl". What kind of kind Grandma does he exactly have in mind? Manami is actually more waifish than a granny. Is he aware of this?

I think the episode kind of draws this out.  "Waifish" is a bit harsh.  She does act like her grandmother.  Though perhaps it's more of the feeling of comfort, family, and familiarity he has with her that makes it seem that way.  She also does give him advice and dotes on him a bit.

- Is he also aware that her kindness may have an ulterior motive (i.e. she really likes him?). Her advances justify it: the sleep-on-my-lap thing, inviting him to her room, sleeping together in the same room, etc. Is he that dense yet again, or is he deliberately ignoring her advances?

The lap-pillow was ignored on purpose, I think.  He's also been shaking off a few things with her, trying to avoid it as mere whimsy.  By his statements, he's been in her room before many a time, so I doubt that's an issue.  Sleeping together ended up being more a nostalgic bit of whimsy for him, and it was a bit bold for her to say in a romantic sense.  I get the feeling she was fine with it for the experience, too.  If for nothing more than to reestablish some lost habits they had.  Habits that allow her to be closer to him than any other girl.

- Kyousuke considers Manami as a childhood friend but wouldn't let any guy date her. Is he that damn selfish, or does he not know where to draw the line between friendship and boy-girl relationship? I think his questionable logic justifies why he yelled hot-blooded stuff at Ayase and his dad: he means well, but he can be an idiot.

Sisterly overprotecting, I would think.  There is probably a touch of male jealousy there.  Remember that Kirino accused him of using Manami as his sister instead of her, so there's probably a shred of truth there somewhere.  He most likely has some romantic feelings for her, but it's something that wouldn't come out unless he was forced to deal with it.  For now, that's his stock answer based on their relationship.  Then again, he can also be an idiot.

I don't get Iwao's presence. What's his purpose in the show? A filler character?

Nothing wrong with that.  He's Manami's little brother and obviously friendly enough with Kyousuke that he's treated as family to him as well.  He might have some import later, but for now he was just used to demonstrate the closeness between Kyousuke and the clan.  "Iwa" btw, means "Boulder" or something akin to a big rock, hence the joke about the name "Rock" and why Grandpa pointed out Iwao's real name to him.  

Also, [gg] actually blew a really good joke.  Manami literally runs back into the room and asks what the number is for 991 (Japan's equivalent of 911).  "Quick!  Operator!  Give me the number for 911!"... it's an easy joke.  Sad that I got it and they didn't.  Apparently their "localization" desires got the better of them.

Kirino's pissed that her playmate is away for the whole day. AWWW... makes you wonder what will happen when Kirino and Manami cross paths :<

I think she was more pissed that he wasn't around for her to show off her pillow to.  Then when he learned he was at Manami's, she got more irritated for the reasons outlined above.  She's jealous of how he treats Manami as opposed to... at least how she perceives... he treats her.  It's complex.  Brocomplex even.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:52:22 AM by TypicalIdiotFan »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2010, 05:23:03 AM »
Very well, fair enough. But...

The thing about childhood friends is that you get comfortable with them to a point where you don't really notice it.  I had a few girlfriends like those, but had to move away and lost touch with all of them.  Even now I doubt I could see them as anything but family.
It's fine if he's so comfortable with her that he doesn't realize that they look like a couple. My small peeve was, why he's surprised that other people would naturally take them as an item. He can't put himself in others' shoes, or he just doesn't bother to think about it...

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2010, 05:44:11 PM »
The latter.  It's a very weird phenomenon.  Notice, though, he didn't say "it'd be like dating my sister" because... well that would be ironic...

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2010, 06:47:34 PM »
I liked this episode, pretty funny, and it sets up a lot of different options for the plot to go. Here's my quick take on what AC was saying earlier that TIF didn't cover.

Is he also aware that her kindness may have an ulterior motive (i.e. she really likes him?). Her advances justify it: the sleep-on-my-lap thing, inviting him to her room, sleeping together in the same room, etc. Is he that dense yet again, or is he deliberately ignoring her advances?

Based on some of the more awkward moments that happened in this episode, like him eating the sweets and blushing as he walked up the stairs, I think he gets it just fine. He just denies it for the reasons he said at the end, that it would change the relationship between them. He doesn't want that.

The one thing that stands out for me after this episode is that he is a foil to Kirino, in the sense that he rebels on the outside, with the hair and the nickname (he seems like he would be perfect for Cromartie High School), while Kirino rebels on the inside (more like privately, but the contrast sounds better if I say it like that), with her games and anime. We'll see what effect that has on the viewer as time goes on, but that depends on what direction the writers decide to go with him. There's a few good ways to use him, so it will certainly be interesting to watch for in the future.

Offline Elineas

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2010, 11:59:21 PM »
I'd chalk it up to anime doing its usual schtick when it comes to childhood friends, which is to play the "we're just really REALLY close friends" excuse. To some extent, that's true in real life, although clearly the denial is exaggerated as we always see. As TIF said, when you've known someone since childhood *ahem*likeyoursister*ahem* you become extremely comfortable to the point that something like that isn't even a possibility.

But nice, relaxing episode, although I have to question the relevance. I don't think the show cares though.

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2010, 09:52:40 PM »
I thought it was a cute episode overall. I think they did a good job introducing the characters without making anything seem too sudden. So now we have 3 love interests: childhood friend, sister, and sisters friend. I'm interested to see how this all comes together.

So far Kyouske has been willing to surrender his dignity to his father and to his Kirino's friend, I wonder if Kyouske will be willing to sacrifice his dignity in front of Minami..

Offline ekka4shiki

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2010, 01:27:14 PM »
I thought it was a cute episode overall. I think they did a good job introducing the characters without making anything seem too sudden. So now we have 3 love interests: childhood friend, sister, and sisters friend. I'm interested to see how this all comes together.

So far Kyouske has been willing to surrender his dignity to his father and to his Kirino's friend, I wonder if Kyouske will be willing to sacrifice his dignity in front of Minami..

why would Kyousuke sacrifice his dignity in front of Minami ? It's not like Minami will angry at Kyousuke or anything ...

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2010, 08:04:50 PM »
7:

God, it felt like I was watching Haruhi again. In a good way.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2010, 05:32:43 AM »
Ep 7

The whole dumping water on herself thing wasn't exactly Kirino's finest moment.  In fact, even by her standards, it was bizarre and irrational.  This episode had, however, about the strongest indication yet that Kirino harbours romantic feelings for Kyousuke.  Whether those feelings are merely a childish teenage crush or something much deeper, who knows.  We'll see.  People forget that Kyousuke and Kirino aren't a standard sibling pair though.  Up to this point, there's been a large amount of distance between them, arguably caused in part by the fact that Kyousuke hasn't really had a need for a sister since he's had Manami.  I don't think it's that insane that their development as siblings has been stifled in that.  Especially considering that they're both reasonably insular people who are very good at keeping secrets.

In all honesty, I can't, for the life of me see how this show dealing with incestuous themes is, of itself, a bad thing.  If they're attracted to each other, it doesn't invalidate whatever the show is trying to do or say.  I want to see where it goes.  At that point, it's all a matter of execution.  If it's cheap and poorly written, then I'll write it off.  But if it manages to say something meaningful, then kudos.  Here's a show that could have played it safe and run the whole incest thing as a ongoing, stagnant joke and/or a hook for the imouto crowd but instead may do something ballsy and stuck its neck out.  People seem to think Kirino's attractiveness discredits this show.  Ok, sure, the otaku thing is overplayed, but I don't think Kirino is quite as unrealistic as this show's critics like to claim.

Oh God HNNNGGGG...

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2010, 06:03:38 AM »
7:

You know, just to get it off my chest, I find the first part of the episode way more fun to watch than the second plainly because a few things pushed my buttons.

First-half:

I don't like how Kyosuke always seems to be at the giving end of all the sticky situations. It doesn't seem to matter what the situation is or who's involved; whenever there's a problem, Kyosuke is the handyman.

Ahh yes, the clash of opinions. Kuroneko really nails it with her comment about literature not being a question of right and wrong (although I may disagree: some things out there are SO bad that it's wrong :< ) I respect her level-headedness. However, all her cricitism for Kirino's work, I'd quote for truth. I hate emotes, I hate cropped sentences, and I sure hate self-glorification.

Well, that's not to say that Kuroneko's work is completely okay. I don't favor emo stuff and an all-text read either (although it's better than a page full of emotes that personally is harder to understand).

Watching a concurrently-played movie while being on the phone? No word about phone charges? I thought it's extravagant over there~ However, I love Saori's meta-comments about censorship and DVD releases.

Second-half:

You have any idea how utterly ironic it is that Kirino berates her brother for watching pr0n on her laptop, when she uses it to watch eroge and loli, which may be even worse than pr0n? DO YA!?

I don't buy Kirino's stance about her work not written out of self-gratification. To me, it's just Kirino resort to shock value to prove Kyosuke wrong. It's just her being out-of-character.

Oh God HNNNGGGG...

I have diabeetus. But Kuroneko skewering the show, now THAT'S sweet~

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2010, 03:22:35 PM »
7:

Not sure what to say here.  First half was moreadasame between the two stubborn polarized otaku, though I find it fascinating that both of them created a character that, at least, was perceived a representation of the other in a demeaning position.  And both involve sex; not just regular sex either, controlling sex (one was raped; the other a slave).  Freud would have a field day with this, but overall I think the two of them want to get along.  Fanfiction is generally not something to take too seriously, but that these two were prickly enough about the included characters speaks volumes of their relationship.  The real conclusion the audience is supposed to take from this is that they're both more alike than they're willing to admit, which is what fuels the stubbornness.  Just **** already!

Second half was Kirino's attempt at having a Christmas date with her brother under the guise of "research".  And not just regular one either, she was trying to have one from the perspective of the imoutou characters she loves so much.  I'm trying to figure out what the **** was up with dousing oneself with water.  If the point was to prove to Kyousuke that she was serious about the novel, then okay, but it seems a bit extreme to pull that shit off right in the middle of a downtown area.  Not only that, but the resulting need for a hotel room to use a shower.  I'm starting to believe Kirino is unbalanced.

Anyway, I don't really know if Kirino harbors romantic feelings for her brother at this point.  She may develop them, or may have them.  But, I think, right now, she's using these "life counseling" sessions as a way of recovering their lost relationship.  Or at least what she perceives as a lost relationship.  I'm still not sure Kyousuke was a bad or neglectful brother to her, or if Kirino is making all this shit up in her head as part of her imoutou fantasies.  I wonder just how close to the edge she is when it comes to the otaku reality perception problem.  The pornography thing, which AC pointed out, is a heck of a red flag.  She doesn't want him using her computer to look at pornography, but she has no problem playing erogames on the same computer.  The reason?  She honestly thinks there is a difference.  2D loli-anime character porn is no big deal to her.  When they were watching Meruru, Kyousuke was bothered by the appearance of a nude loli character, but Kirino brushed it all aside, enthused by the show itself.  It could just be an otaku thing, as both Saori and Kuroneko brushed it off as well, though it did give Kuroneko some ammo against the show. 

I mean, Kyousuke looking at real porn bugged her enough to start crying.  Why?  Was she that bothered by it or was she bothered that her image of her brother was damaged?  Going back a few episodes, she flat out defended the erogames and doujinshi she reads from her best friend, who had the same problem with it that she's having with Kyousuke's porn viewing.  I mean, there is a clear cut disassociation between 2D and 3D with Kirino.  I'm just wondering how bad it is.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2010, 07:08:19 PM »
7:
First part: LOL! Funny as hell, that's all I really want to say.

The second half:
First off, the porn scene reminds me of the fan service scene in episode 4, something that was brought up and quickly forgotten to advance the plot. Though hopefully we won't have the same controversy as before...

Second, the novel was most likely not important to the story, as evidenced by Minami basically telling us that at the end of the episode for the idiots in the audience who didn't figure out that this was a christmas date (I hate it when authors/writers do that, it always makes me feel like they have to force feed their audience the information, because we're too stupid to figure it out otherwise. And that I couldn't figure it out in the first place...)

The water dousing scene still feels kind of random to me, and I still can't find any sort of meaning to it (my closest guess is that she wanted to elicit an emotional response from Kyousuke, which I guess makes sense). But the one thing I did like about that whole scene was the mis en scene when the camera zooms out, the store they're outside is SisterMart (I would put the image but it's too big, is it possible to shrink it?)

Offline Ascaloth

• Yo! Yo!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2010, 07:15:31 PM »
Episode 7:

Forget what everyone is saying about Kirino being a perfect girl who just happens to have otaku tendencies, and thus an otaku fantasy, here. When it comes down to it, the girl's an annoying little bitch whose antics just want to make you introduce your face to your palm. Hard. Multiple times. And occasionally with "face" replaced with "head", and "palm" replaced with "desk".

In other words? She's an eerily, brutally straight portrayal of a RL teenage imouto. Hell, it's Kyon-archetype Kyousuke who actually looks more like the fantasized character here.  8)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2010, 07:21:24 PM »
Episode 7:

In other words? She's an eerily, brutally straight portrayal of a RL teenage imouto. Hell, it's Kyon-archetype Kyousuke who actually looks more like the fantasized character here.  8)
... which supports the idea of how Kyosuke treats Manami more like his own sister than his own sister (ironically, although I think that in a way, I think he's taking Manami for granted). The only reason why he has been putting up with her loli crap is because she is his real sister, after all.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2010, 07:29:46 PM »
Really?  I don't think Kyousuke exactly finds Kirino unbearable.  If he wanted to, he's free to walk away from helping her, yet he's continually gone above and beyond whenever her otaku hobby has caused an issue.

I've got no question they love each other as siblings, I just think they've made it clear there's something more than sibling love going on here on top of that.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2010, 03:31:51 PM »
Something that I love about this now is that I really can't predict the outcome of most of the important things in this series, and I genuinely think to myself after the episode about things like whether Kirino loves Kyōsuke in a way more than just that of a sibling (Personally I'm tending towards yes, but I wouldn't say it was in an incestuous way. In any case I doubt it'll be a black/white outcome).

The first part of the episode I found to be entertaining. Her dancing to and singing along to the opening of the opening was something I have done in the past (perhaps not so much the dancing.... okay maybe some of the time). I found that entire scene hilarious, as it was something I could relate to (I mean seeing someone do that and realising you've done exactly the same always makes it funnier, or cringe-worthy I suppose). I found the porn on the laptop scene another highlight of this episode, not only due to the whole irony as many have already pointed out, but also just because of its straight up comedic value, I could actually see the "oh s***" emotion on Kyōsuke's face when Kirino told him. On a side note: I think that Kirino reacted so badly to this in order to make Kyōsuke feel like her owed her, in order to ensure he'd go with her on the whole reserach thing. In other words, I think she was over exaggerating her reaction in order to manipulate Kyōsuke.

The second part of the episode I found to be strange for reasons already covered, like Kirino pouring water over herself. I would say as others have that this was to try and show Kyōsuke that she was serious about this. I think I understand why Kirino wants to spend a Christmas date with Kyōsuke: 1 being that she simply wants to spend time with him, 2 so she can make sure that Kyōsuke doesn't go on a Christmas date with Manami. When Kyōsuke was called by Manami in the Hotel, and Kirino saw, I was surprised that she reacted the way she did, I would have thought that she would have reacted more badly to it, as Manami was impinging on the 'date' between them. I am still wondering how this is all going to unravel during the next episodes.

This is my favourite show of this season, by some way.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:48:42 AM by Fumoffu!! »

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2010, 11:17:34 PM »
8:
Kuroneko is so direct! (is that really her name? black cat?)

God the writing in this show is so self-aware. I love it. When kuroneko just flat out asks kyousuke why he does so much for his sister, it pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'm super interested to see if there is a "real" answer, or if kyousuke figures it out himself.

It seems they are trying to imply that Kyosuke is really just a good brother, and that's it.
Now I'm sure the biggest gripe everyone is going to have about Imouto right now is the rushed pace at which Kirino's book she randomly wrote is turned into a manga. In two episodes suddenly Kirino is an author?
 I wish they had built it up a little bit before.

Offline Ascaloth

• Yo! Yo!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2010, 11:28:07 PM »
Episode 8:

Ep 3 - Yep, Kyousuke is a real bro standing up to his father like that for his imouto. Major respect.

Ep 5 - Yeah, that was a head-scratching way of resolving the situation, but in retrospect there aren't too many alternatives to dealing with narrow-minded people like Ayase anyway. Besides, Kirino did pretty well for herself beforehand, so no real issues here.

Ep 8 - Okay man, now you're just coddling her. This could've been a valuable life lesson on harsh reality for your imouto, so why'd you intervene, Kyousuke?  :-\

And really, mounting a personal attack on the scriptwriter, and kowtowing? I really don't think reality works that way. This could have been a pretty good episode; too bad AIC chickened out on providing anything but a fairytale ending.  >:(

@bluecheez,

Apparently, Kuroneko's real name is

Spoiler for Hiden:
Gokou Ruri

;)

Offline hoarfrost

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2010, 02:35:01 AM »
Alright, the format is just starting to get way too formulaic for me.

Kirino has a problem -> Kirino has a bitch fit about said problem and doesn't come near resolving it -> Kyousuke (ostensibly) reluctantly decides to solve her problem -> Reasonable Authority Figure makes logical argument(this is true save the episode with Kirino's friend, but this time backed up by a total ad hom by Kuroneko) -> Kyousuke makes desperate appeal to emotion, offering his pride -> Kirino gets what she wants -> Kirino may or may not be grateful, continues to be a troublesome brat.

The problem with this episode specifically is that the second half was one big exercise in Strawman Has A Point. If her manga is anything like what we have all come to expect, then it would take a great deal of work to turn it into anything remotely palatable, even by anime standards.

Still my front runner of the season for reasons that everyone else has written about in depth, but mix it up please. And let that brat Kirino get a dose of reality without having Aniki in shining armour shield her from the truth. Even on her original problem, after further thinking I've become much less sympathetic. Whereas Nogizaka Haruka admits in front of everyone that she likes anime rather than allowing her friend to take the embarrassment, I don't recall Kirino ever really demonstrating true remorse over throwing others under the bus so that she can maintain her Honour Student/Cool Girl image. This might be a little late coming, but it's just been provoked by the realisation that her character isn't going to get any less insufferable, and reality isn't going to be any less kind to her for it. I have come to consider her character as more of a slight than anything else, as much of her success comes from privilege, eg: having an easily guiled older sibling, being a model and popular to boot. 

All in all, Kirino is not a relatable character for the average otaku, male or female. In fact, Kirino is a type that many in all alternative circles have come to despise, made even worse of a slight by the fact that said person partakes in alternative things while still looking down on others who do. And the prevailing message of this show seems to be that you can have a successful social and/or job life as an otaku, so long as you are sufficiently privileged. Just my thoughts.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2010, 03:28:17 AM »
Ep 8

I've been defending this show as much as I've believed it's been due right up to this moment, but this was just too stupid to take.  Suddenly her book which was written on a whim, released on the internet and researched over a Christmas date is being made into an anime.  That's a pretty massive leap.  Stuff happens between then.  Important stuff.  There's even a currently airing anime about all the difficult stuff that happens from the time a story is conceived to the time it's made into an anime.  It's called Bakuman.

So I spent the entire first half of the episode trying to reconcile the fact that a.) Kirino has written a new novel, b.) it's become a best-seller c.) she's scored herself a lucrative book deal and her own editor, and d.) it's being made into an anime, with my suspension of disbelief and then bam, the second half.

Oooh, look at this guy's eyes.  Look at how evil he is, trying to tear down Kirino's beautiful, perfect vision of how a story about a teenage girl creating a post-apocalyptic harem of imoutos should be.  (As any aside, the show seems to be perfectly aware of how stupid an idea Kirino's story is, so why are they playing along with it?  Some sort of commentary on how crap ideas often become popular?  Why are they only paying lip-service to this?)  As hoarfrost points out, he's a strawman, simply there for Ruri and Kyousuke to tear down.  Ruri's argument almost had a good point to it until she started going on a petty, emo rant.  And then Kyousuke's argument.  I mean, as cringe-worthy as it was, it's not out of character for him to make an emotional plea on behalf of his sister.  But for the panel to just accept it, as is?  I can't buy that.  If I were on that panel I'd be thinking "these people are too unhinged to do business with, let's find something else to make an anime out of".

Here's hoping this is a blip, and things get back on track with the next episode.  This was easily the worst ep of the series so far.  Easily.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2010, 08:37:46 AM »
8:

I can't believe that Kirino's stuff is made into an anime. Wait, I'll rephrase myself: I can't believe that things get fast-forwarded to the point that Kirino's stuff gets approved. It's too convenient. Sorrow-kun is right: it's a massive cop-out. Is the staff trying to just highlight what happens when Kirino gets her stuff accepted, without going through the necessary process of getting acceptance?

But, when I think about it, I've seen a lot of fecal matter out there that people call anime. Yes, Kirino's stuff is deplorable but so do a lot out there right now. So, I'm somewhat on the fence here. Things get spoonfed to Kirino too easily (ironic since that's the problem that grates on Kyosuke and Kuroneko's nerves during the meeting), but... I don't know.

Kirino did possibly the worst thing ever as a bad first impression in a business setting: coming off unprofessional. In the eyes of professionals, the last thing you want to do is be unprofessional. Kirino letting her loli fangirl get the better of her and let her rabid and naive enthusiasm do the talking is just wrong. It's the same for a job interview: you just don't do something like that. These people are banking on this show's success. Sure, their motives are questionable but it's business. It's ethically wrong, but professionally? When she was droning, I went "No, no, no, god no!".

And her naive brother is no better either with the business talk. Judging from previous episodes, he isn't the brightest bulb in the house especially when he makes impassioned comments rather than logical ones. And dear Kyosuke, here's a life lesson for you:

Quote from: Anonymous
Sometimes, you know something but you don't know how to explain/put it into words. In life, it's no more different than not knowing it at all.

And it just shows that in any critical business meetings, the most desirable trait is the power of persuasion. Because even if you have the best idea, if nobody wants to listen to you, your idea is worth a bag of nuts.

Kuroneko is just a lifesaver. Sure, her counter-argument isn't the best I've seen but at least she did something worthy. I don't like how the meeting pulled through simply with a sentimental counter-argument and the standard Japanese kneeling bow - looks like something out of a cheesy J-drama - rather than "winning the game fair and square".

The episode, I'd say, did well with the panel's justified comments. Kuroneko's sharp retort gets some plus points for me too, although it wasn't the best kind I've seen. Kyosuke... meh, his methods haven't changed and he hasn't improved. Big deal. That Bae Yong Joon-lookalike critic? His comments have bite, but how easily he conceded was just bleh.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2010, 02:16:04 PM »
Here's hoping this is a blip, and things get back on track with the next episode.  This was easily the worst ep of the series so far.  Easily.

I hope so too, especially after I thought it was going so well. The whole "oh yeh, I write in my free time" to "It's being turned into an anime!" was so quick that I couldn't connect it at all.

Especially after watching Bakuman, if the process for getting a successful Manga or Light novel, and then getting it turned into an anime was only half as hard as Bakuman made it out to be (And I know that It's actually harder), then the apparent ease in which Kirino's story made it to potential anime status with the small amount of work she did downright pissed me off. I don't care she spent the night before working on anime concepts like voice actors etc. She didn't deserve it at all. No wonder Kuroneko and glasses man were so pissed. I would be if I were in their shoes.

I really hope this gets back on track.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2010, 04:05:09 PM »
I don't understand how Hanners can manage to list almost all the problems with this episode (something he has a remarkable talent for, IMO) yet still come to the conclusion that "I'm not going to call this a bad episode of Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai - it isn't even a poor one, truth be told."  I can't think of any other way to describe it.  It was a bad episode.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2010, 04:50:07 PM »
I'm actually going to disagree in a sense. I think that this was the worst episode thus far, but I don't think it was a bad episode.

The saving grace of this episode was the character development for Kurenko. It's not that hard to find, her jealousy and anger over Kirino getting an anime opens up a new facet of her personality. (If anyone doubts that, I'll be happy to pull apart a few scenes to prove my point)  If you ignore everything that all of the other characters said, and simply concentrate on that, then this would be a great episode. But overall, I think it raises a bad episode to a mediocre one.

Random Comments:
This episode seems filler to me, just because of the massive quality drop from the first seven to this one. The fact that they don't tell Kirino about it convinces me of that.

This episode would be more appropriate for Haruhi rather than this. Haruhi can get away with some crazy plot ideas, such as this one, just because the whole science fiction aspect of it. Oreimo.... does not have that crutch and suffers because of it.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2010, 05:41:42 PM »
I'm actually going to disagree in a sense. I think that this was the worst episode thus far, but I don't think it was a bad episode.
I don't follow this sentence. You don't think this is a bad episode but you think it's the worst episode thus far? Are you simply saying that this has been the worst episode of the series but it's not bad per se?

The saving grace of this episode was the character development for Kurenko. It's not that hard to find, her jealousy and anger over Kirino getting an anime opens up a new facet of her personality. (If anyone doubts that, I'll be happy to pull apart a few scenes to prove my point)  If you ignore everything that all of the other characters said, and simply concentrate on that, then this would be a great episode. But overall, I think it raises a bad episode to a mediocre one.
I wouldn't say that there's character development on Kuroneko's part. Personally, character development happens when you don't have any faith in a character and an event makes you think otherwise. For Kuroneko's case it's different. For a long time, I've known her to be one who doesn't mince her words. This episode simply fleshes out this latent aspect, but I wouldn't call it character development. She doesn't go through about substantial character buildup IMO.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2010, 09:14:15 PM »
I don't follow this sentence. You don't think this is a bad episode but you think it's the worst episode thus far? Are you simply saying that this has been the worst episode of the series but it's not bad per se?

Blame the lack of sleep for that one, but yeah, you got the idea.

I wouldn't say that there's character development on Kuroneko's part. Personally, character development happens when you don't have any faith in a character and an event makes you think otherwise. For Kuroneko's case it's different. For a long time, I've known her to be one who doesn't mince her words. This episode simply fleshes out this latent aspect, but I wouldn't call it character development. She doesn't go through about substantial character buildup IMO.

That's weird, I always thought that character development was the same as characterization... Guess not. Anyway, the fact that the writers took a formerly static character, Kuroneko, and fleshed her out makes the episode salvageable. (I would include examples, but I just spent the last two days writing a 4000 word thesis analyzing Psycho. So I'll do it some other day.) Honestly, it's understated how important characterization is to these types of shows, because a well defined cast of characters can make or break comedies. Look at MM!, in these past 8 episodes, you know nothing about the characters besides what you learned in the first 2-3 episodes they are introduced. It's one of the main issues with that show, which ultimately makes it terrible. Compare that to Oreimo. Even in an otherwise terrible episode, the show still expands on its characters, making the overall episode not as bad as it should have been. I hope that this all made sense; sorry if it didn't.

Offline Elineas

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2010, 10:22:59 PM »
I haven't watched the ep. yet due to that other world we call real life, but I figure it's necessary to clear up the misconception that characterization = character development, as it's a pet peeve of mine. Characterization is the depiction of the character as someone who exists in the story. We assume that characters have a personality and a past, and all of their actions should reflect that. Kuroneko is direct, serious, and aware. Kirino is ego-centric, pretty, and loves her moe anime. These aren't things they developed in the story as they were introduced; they're a part of their character. Character development is the change in a character through the events that transpire during the story. Kyousuke begins as an indifferent sibling and develops into the protective brother he is now. Mind you, I think it was badly developed, but that's neither here nor there.

Characters we consider to be 1-dimensional or overall inconsistent we usually blame on bad characterization. The characters were never interesting or logical in the first place, so we care very little about them. On the flip side, characters that go through a sudden transformation in character halfway through a series we blame on bad character development, as the story itself has not given justification to the change.

And if the episode is as bad as you all say it is then I guess that's not the episode I turn to watch if I'm in a bad mood tomorrow  :-\.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2010, 01:23:53 AM »
8:

The only noteworthy piece of dialogue in here was Kuroneko's smack at the anime industry for turning "original works" into "same old same old".  There are a ton of people who have criticized JC Staff for how it handled the anime version of Zero no Tsukaima along these similar lines.  I'm not sure ZnT's novel is really that interesting or good, but the anime was drivel and drivel in the fashion of unoriginal moe fanservice fest.  JC Staff has also been bitched at for their adaptation of the Index novels.  The recent episode where I'm kvetching about Touma jumping up debris to rescue Kuroko was apparently changed from the original to the point where the scene becomes ridiculous.

On the other hand, Kyoto Animation did a ****ing superb job with Full Metal Panic's second season, not only adapting the novel well, but increasing the dramatic effect of many scenes.  Some of their changes, like the twins being a pair of incestuous lesbians and the maniacal villain, added something missing to the story.  So it's not as if an adaptation can't be done that doesn't work out for all sides.

But while watching this, I kept thinking to myself just how on the side of the animation production staff I was.  While the show deliberately kept the "negativity" coming from one guy (the screen writer, I'm assuming) in order to have Kuroneko shoot him down, I can't help but feel like Kirino's band of friends and family was just way off base.

Each one of Kirino's ideas was shot down with a realistic and logical reason.  Of them, the main protagonist being a girl or boy was probably the most resounding sticking point.  I don't seriously think anybody would try to change such a focal point of an original work.  Especially not one that was popular.  I understand the screen writer's frustration with trying to figure out WHY the main character is a girl.  He has to understand the work in order to create the screen play.  So does the director.  They have to be able to visualize the concepts in order to go through with the creative process.  But nobody on Kirino's side, even Kirino herself, could offer a valid reason for the MC to be a chick.  Aside from Kunoneko's jibe that the character is an ego-centric manifestation of the author, there wasn't one.  This doesn't mean that the MC needs to be genderswapped, but the argument against can't just be "because the book was popular as is, it should be left as is".  That's horseshit.  It implies that your work was flawless.  Every work has flaws.  Even if not flaws, then there are still ways to enhance the story with minor changes.  The aforementioned TSR adaptation comes to mind.

Be that as it may, I actually came up with two valid arguments why the protagonist should be a girl.  But I wasn't there, so they're not getting my ideas for free.

I agree with most of the sentiment here;  this was not a strong episode at all.  Way too much has to be simply accepted for them to get to the meat and potatoes of the episode's issues, which of course is Kirino's ego vs. establishment.  Quite frankly, it was weak at best.  If the show's writers really wanted to drop some commentary on the industry, then:

1).  Bite harder.  If that's the best you're going to do, don't bother.

2).  Don't take on a project yourselves that has already got some paranoid is another moefest with incestuous overtones.

If the commentary was coming from the author, then it bites a bit harder, but not much.

Offline ekka4shiki

« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2010, 06:09:10 AM »
Seriously , is Kyyousuke wanna be negotiator or something ??? But , he always let the emotion take control ...

ckckck, teenager ..

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2010, 11:18:55 PM »
9:

People may disagree, but I thought this was the best episode thus far. The parallels between Rinko and Kirino were great (half the episode's humor depends on it, no less), the personal life setup for Kureneko and Sasori was great (Oh look, Kureneko has a little sister, we totally shouldn't compare their relationship to Kirino's and Kyousuke's...), and I think the slower pacing did this episode wonders. Great rebound after a mediocre episode last time around.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2010, 12:28:49 AM »
9:

People may disagree, but I thought this was the best episode thus far. The parallels between Rinko and Kirino were great (half the episode's humor depends on it, no less), the personal life setup for Kureneko and Sasori was great (Oh look, Kureneko has a little sister, we totally shouldn't compare their relationship to Kirino's and Kyousuke's...), and I think the slower pacing did this episode wonders. Great rebound after a mediocre episode last time around.
My take on this episode is actually quite close to yours, and here's why.

9:

If this episode can be entitled with a single noun, it would be "irony" (and, like the OP, appropriately so). "Irony" is taken into 3 forms here:

Firstly, it's rather ironic (at least to me) to see that Kureneko is not quite the rich sophisticated "ojou-sama"-esque girl she appears to be. She's the eldest sister in her household, and from the looks of her house, she isn't that well-to-do. This works in my favor, because the contrast between her persona and her actual RL makes her more credible as a person. Seeing her looking after her sister and even be there when she watches Meruru, a show she despises, makes me respect her even more.

Secondly, it's more ironic to see Saori as the polar opposite of Kureneko. In fact, it's ironic to the point that it's bizarre. Among the three female leads, she's the most outward otaku and yet, she's very "ojou-sama"-esque at home? It makes me wonder what really happened that turned her from a queen to a nerd, or vice versa. That was some WTF-ness right there.

Finally, the most ironic of irony in this show is Kirino's take on her latest game. Clearly, she has NO idea that the Rinko - the character that has a similar name as Kirino (I wonder why, hmm...) - is a spitting image of herself, and naturally she doesn't/shouldn't know how to deal a person similar herself. Maybe it's even more ironic if she does, but whatever. It may also hint that Kirino has never played an eroge that features a classic tsundere archetype before.

... disturbing. The line "Om nom nom" is written all over that face. (*- -)

So, this is what happens when he gets her loli-moe kicks: She goes into "HNNNNGH" mode. I don't know if I should take her infectious moe rush as something enjoyable or disgusting. It also kinda make some of us reflect on how we react when we do something similar. For those who do play eroge, take a good look at her and ask yourselves if you see yourself in her. Some things are just not meant to be known, and I feel sorry for Kyosuke for putting up with all this.

And somebody should write a letter to the OreImo crew, telling them that they do this show much better when they're not dealing with a serious topic. Dealing with a serious issue has consequences: sure, you may either end up with something worthy (like the social commentary in episode 5), but also something shitty (like the last episode). This show just works better with something like this episode; you give the characters one quiet Sunday and we get something we enjoy watching.

Offline Ascaloth

• Yo! Yo!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2010, 01:08:27 AM »
Episode 9:

Hahaha, damned. This episode was meta as all ****. In the ASuki subforum, quite a few were complaining about how Kirino was 100% tsun and 0% dere....and whaddayaknow?! I'm starting to wonder if AIC is crawling through ASuki and 4chan, like how KyoAni was once rumored to do for their works.  ;D

EDIT: Not to mention Kirino's behaviour. It's so embarassingly meta, I just had to facepalm and wonder to myself, "Gawd, was I this embarassing before?!"  :D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:20:54 AM by Ascaloth »

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2010, 04:05:21 AM »
Ep 9

My first thought was that these were really mean-spirited comments until I realized who wrote them.

I found Kuroneko's situation at home to be the most interesting.  The three otaku girls all come from very different backgrounds, as we saw in this ep.  Kuroneko is lower middle class, Kirino is upper middle class, and Saori is so rich she has her own servants.  In many ways, Kirino is fairly typical of a 14 year old well-to-do middle class teenager.  She has no idea how lucky she is.

I liked the comparison going on between Kuroneko and Kirino.  For Kirino, the whole imouto love thing is an escape into fantasy.  For Kuroneko, it's something very real.  I've got no question who gets more reward out of it.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2010, 03:04:33 PM »
A great episode. I loved the humour of this episode as well. I think it all came to a climax in terms of comedy when Kirino and Kyōsuke were arguing with each other through the walls. I can only begin to imagine how awkward he felt hearing his sister audibly 'lust' over eroge in the next room. If I heard my little sister in the next room making those sounds... Well frankly I don't know how he managed to remain in his room, I would have packed up my laptop, gone downstairs, plugged in my headphones, and would have listened to music as loudly as I could bear.

This actually leads me to the conclusion that Kyōsuke is such an unbelievably nice character. Being kicked and slapped because you 1. Greeted her while trying to be polite, or just because 2. she was upset with her eroge, and then being able to bear (for a large amount of time anyway before he finally gives) the sounds of his sister effectivly watching porn. I don't know of anyone who could handle this and still remain friendly. Kyōsuke is certainly the most virtuous character I have ever seen.

Oh, and as others have said, the blatant irony of Kirino being annoyed at a character that is basically herself is amusing, though it is slightly forced down our throats, I doubt a 11 year old watching this wouldn't work this out. I was quite pleased to see another side to Kuroneko, her being sisterly in a completely different way to her normal self. I was quite sad actually that we weren't able to see more of her as a sister, she is really well developed for a side character, and she is one of my favourite characters of this series, as I'm sure some would agree.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2010, 04:43:02 PM »
Oh, and as others have said, the blatant irony of Kirino being annoyed at a character that is basically herself is amusing, though it is slightly forced down our throats, I doubt a 11 year old watching this wouldn't work this out.
Yeah, this was my problem with that whole aspect of the episode.  It was definitely worth pointing out, but it was delivered without the slightest bit of subtlety.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2010, 07:32:08 PM »
Oh, and as others have said, the blatant irony of Kirino being annoyed at a character that is basically herself is amusing, though it is slightly forced down our throats, I doubt a 11 year old watching this wouldn't work this out.

The fact that they even did it in the first place impressed me far more than the execution of it. I'd argue that 99% of anime comedies aren't smart enough to do something like this, obvious or not.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2010, 07:33:33 AM »
Well, I would agree that some comedies aren't clever enough to do something like this, and it's not as if the entire 'excercise' of having Kirino come up against her self as it were was in anyway a bad thing, it's just that I wished they had done it with more subtlety. I don't know exactly how they should have gone about it exactly, but it could have been done with more tact, or at the very least not so much in your face. Maybe they were so proud of having thought of this that they wanted to make sure no-one had a chance of missing the irony.

I am just nitpicking at this though, as this was a great episode, and even the in your face irony wasn't done badly apart from that, it was an amusing set of scenes.

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2010, 05:20:21 PM »
9: so is Kirino a lesbian, or what? I mean I figured when she played she would put herself in the perspective of the little girl and fantasize about her older brother..but this looks like the opposite.

Oh, right, great episode by the way. Ironic and subtle. I'm very happy they've moved away form the anime production bullshit.

Kuroneko is easily my favorite character right now. She's rational, cocky, yet very clearly flawed and human. I really hope they push some kind of relationship between kyouske and her. God its hilarious how creepy she can be. 

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2010, 05:40:05 PM »
9: so is Kirino a lesbian, or what? I mean I figured when she played she would put herself in the perspective of the little girl and fantasize about her older brother..but this looks like the opposite.
This hardly makes her a lesbian.  I knew a female anime nerd in my younger days who loved to collect yuri hentai and fanart, but was straight as an arrow.  Some people are very good at compartmentalizing when it comes to 2D and 3D, and are attracted much more to the aesthetic, rather than the fantasy of what it sexually represents.  I'd say this is clearly the case with Kirino.  She also made it clear in the first episode that she was playing these games from the point of view of the older brother, not the other way around.  That was the whole irony of the set up.

Edit:
Oh, right, great episode by the way. Ironic and subtle. I'm very happy they've moved away form the anime production bullshit.
Also, as relieved as I am that they've done away with this, the fact that the whole thing got nary a mention in the very next episode just further shows how irrelevant and pointless it was.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2010, 07:12:45 PM »
I was fine with Kirino and the whole gaming thing until she got to the ero-scene and had to go take a shower beforehand.

That's when I shook my head a bit.  I understand that some people find it a good idea to shower before nookie... hell, I appreciate it in some cases... but she's not actually doing anything with anybody and yet... still had to go take a shower beforehand.

That's... some serious behavior right there...

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2010, 07:18:59 PM »
Really?  I shower before I fap... >_>

Offline zzeroparticle

• NEET
  • Reviewer
    • Google+
    • zzeroparticle's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with zzeroparticle using Skype
    • Steam Community :: zzeroparticle
    • @zzeroparticle
    • http://blog.animeinstrumentality.net/

« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »
Peanut gallery question: I'm trying to wonder if Kirino getting off to... essentially what is a game clone of her signifies anything. :V

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2010, 07:47:57 PM »
That she's playing for the dere.  I wouldn't have thought it said much.  I think the whole frustration and annoyance at the character's tsun behaviour says more than her reaction to the character during the sex scene when she went completely dere.

Offline Elineas

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2010, 11:27:22 PM »
The fact that they even did it in the first place impressed me far more than the execution of it. I'd argue that 99% of anime comedies aren't smart enough to do something like this, obvious or not.

Hardly. It's one thing to fully accept what kind of series you are and either subtly wink at the audience or fully embrace your identity. It's quite another to play the nonsensical nature of your constructs seriously and pass it off with "hey, we're ironic and meta, we think we know what we're doing." As much as I enjoyed this episode (in no small part due to Kuroneko's share) it has been bugging me that Oreimo walks into blunders and then tries to appease us with an assumed intelligence of awareness. It hurts even more when it's as blatant as in this episode. At least the other 99% doesn't try to cover itself by pretending to be ironic.

This episode as a standalone is enjoyable. For one thing, I think it's relatively quiet with its contrast among the three characters, which by itself is a breath of fresh air from last episode's atrocious drama. The irony of Kuroneko's character stands out as being one of the few times the show hasn't been cumbersome with the concept. The episode as part of a greater whole, however, is sorely lacking. Events in episode 5 and 8 become inconsequential, and Kirino's character always becomes a matter of convenience for the audience. It's not even a return to the status quo; it's just someone chucking ideas every episode and then resetting in the next. I know I see this all the time in anime, but it's really egregious here because it wants us to take laughable things seriously. Oreimo should just stay away from any drama that might actually mean something.[/rant]

I don't know what triggered that response from this episode, especially considering I liked it overall. The show just feels vapid when it shifts so abruptly.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2010, 03:13:00 AM »
10:

Is EVERY female in this show not named Saori just a total ****ing bitch?

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2010, 04:32:10 AM »
Ep 10

I don't see why they need to keep jamming crap into the OP sequence, it's already irregular and hectic enough as it is.

I'm starting to think that Kirino and Ayase deserve each other as best friends.  Although I do get a kick out of every time Hayami Saori says "hentai" in an angry voice (oh God, I'm a giant pervert).
10:

What about Kuroneko.  Although, yeah sure, Kanako is pretty awful.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2010, 04:43:23 AM »
Kuroneko is bitchy in her own way.  Her arguments and dealings with Kirino, while perhaps sparked by Kirino's bitchiness, are condescending and betray her irritation. 

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2010, 05:29:24 AM »
Being a bitch to one person (who probably expects it anyway) is different from being a total bitch.  Also, Manami.

Offline Ascaloth

• Yo! Yo!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2010, 05:40:14 AM »
And her grandmother. And Bridget....though I have my reservations as to "her" status as a "she".  :D

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2010, 06:59:58 AM »
10:

You know, I find it hard to swallow that Ayase thinks it's her fault when clearly it's Kirino's intolerance to other people's opinions that's actually at fault. Ayase's against otaku hobbies, that's definitely clear for now. Yet, she's willing to lend her ear to some of Kirino's rabid enthusiasm for that kind of stuff. Heck, that small incident triggered this whole episode.

And what's with Kirino palm lately? She's really letting it loose with Kyousuke at the receiving end. Kinda amazing what Kyousuke has been doing for her behind her back and how bitchy she still is, regardless of whether she's aware of all this or not. Makes me less emphathetic towards her when everyone close to her is feeding her ego. If she continues with this, I may just put her alongside Toradora's Taiga way up there on my hate list.

Yeah, Kyousuke's clearly not one of the brighter character we've seen. If it's not clear enough that Ayase is strongly against such hobbies, he makes a suggestion about volunteering her to cosplay. I may respect him for what he's doing for Kirino, but what I see is a dense character who just doesn't understand what's in front of him.

Suspension of disbelief may be required a little to think that Kanako didn't realize what she's been wearing only until she looks at the side view mirror.

I hope Manami's character has a more important role from here onwards, since we're almost at the end of the series. If not, I think it's just unfortunate that she's just an arbitrary character. Sure, she may be the indirect influence in the relationship between Kirino and Kyousuke... but is that all?

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2010, 01:14:17 PM »
I hope Manami's character has a more important role from here onwards, since we're almost at the end of the series. If not, I think it's just unfortunate that she's just an arbitrary character. Sure, she may be the indirect influence in the relationship between Kirino and Kyousuke... but is that all?

I think that there are several things I want to happen or to be resolved by the end of this series. To be honest I really want to see some more in depth exploration of Kuroneko and some of the other characters. There are some really interesting characters that I fear are just going to be left on the side, and to be honest it's stuff like this that really gets me angry about episodes like episode 8, since it truly had no purpose whatsoever, and I would have appreciated the time being instead spent on one of the side characters.

I felt sorry for my native Bridget when she was having someone she thought was amazing turn out to be a complete bitch. I do agree with TIF that there are just so many bitches in this show, notably though are the models. Maybe it's reflecting upon how models will think themselves superior to otaku etc.

I enjoyed this episode, not as much as last weeks, but quite a bit none the less.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2010, 06:37:40 PM »
Wow, another decent episode, fancy that.

And what's with Kirino palm lately? She's really letting it loose with Kyousuke at the receiving end. Kinda amazing what Kyousuke has been doing for her behind her back and how bitchy she still is, regardless of whether she's aware of all this or not. Makes me less emphathetic towards her when everyone close to her is feeding her ego. If she continues with this, I may just put her alongside Toradora's Taiga way up there on my hate list.

In all honesty, if I said what he said to a girl, I'd probably get slapped too. Just saying.

In case anyone hasn't heard yet, it's just been confirmed that we are getting 4 additional episodes after this on the DVD releases. Not as good as a second season of course, but you know, you take what you can get.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2010, 07:20:04 PM »
In all honesty, if I said what he said to a girl, I'd probably get slapped too. Just saying.
But you must bear in mind that we're talking about a girl who have no qualms slapping her big brother even if he didn't do anything particularly wrong. Remember when he pointed out to her when she dropped her panties? Just a no-nonsense indication and see what happened.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2010, 07:34:04 PM »
But you must bear in mind that we're talking about a girl who have no qualms slapping her big brother even if he didn't do anything particularly wrong. Remember when he pointed out to her when she dropped her panties? Just a no-nonsense indication and see what happened.

If I were to take my best guess, it would be that it was that time of the month again...

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »
If I were to take my best guess, it would be that it was that time of the month again...

Or she's just a bitch.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2010, 07:45:48 PM »
Or quite possibly both. Pure speculation of course.

Offline Elineas

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2010, 09:27:24 PM »
I finish typing up my comment to Sorrow-kun's latest blog post and then realize Oreimo is done by AIC... orz

Fine episode at any rate. Doesn't try to pull any wonky drama, which I've come to expect every other episode. Suspension of disbelief is within bounds set (Kanako not knowing what she was changing into, Kyousuke taking his episodic slapping with nary a major outcry). I am a little amused and horrified by Ayase's willingness to so quickly scapegoat someone else. That is some freakish dedication for a present.

But at the rate we're going Scamp is going to get it right, and we won't even need a "reset to status quo" scene ala Kannagi. We probably won't even get an arc of some sort at the end, so you can probably forget about Manami's role, AC. I guess there's nothing completely wrong with that with something like Kannagi, but Oreimo has atrocious consistency and seems to expect us to do something with the drama, so... yeah, never mind.

And I think it's a testament to how unlikable or boring most of the characters are when I cared more for Bridget being on the receiving end of Kanako's bitching than anyone else who did anything this episode. Seriously, she cares a lot about this, have a bit of tact. Of the other characters, only Kuroneko and Manami pass, and Manami passes that boring threshold just barely.

Or quite possibly both. Pure speculation of course.

Frankly, if you think TIF's conclusion isn't the case, then the only other conclusion is that these episodes are timed to be a month apart...

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2010, 10:17:13 PM »

Frankly, if you think TIF's conclusion isn't the case, then the only other conclusion is that these episodes are timed to be a month apart...

Que?

Oh wait, now I get, you thought I was referring to both episode 9 and 10. I was only talking about 9.
To clarify:
For Episode 9, there is a good chance that it was her time of the month, which made her more bitchy, and random, than usual. To put it in another way, bitch squared.

In Episode 10, she's still a bitch, but she wasn't random because he probably deserved it, so it probably wasn't her time of the month. She is just a regular bitch.

Did that make more sense?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2010, 03:31:34 AM »
Oh wait, now I get, you thought I was referring to both episode 9 and 10. I was only talking about 9.
To clarify:
For Episode 9, there is a good chance that it was her time of the month, which made her more bitchy, and random, than usual. To put it in another way, bitch squared.

In Episode 10, she's still a bitch, but she wasn't random because he probably deserved it, so it probably wasn't her time of the month. She is just a regular bitch.

Frankly, I just want to think she's a natural bitch. No seasonal bitching whatsover; she bitches as a natural response to whatever comes out of Kyousuke's mouth.

Offline Elineas

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2010, 12:59:09 PM »
Que?

To clarify:

It was a tongue in cheek that used your speculation to express my opinion of her. Regardless of whether or not it really is her time of month, she's been an inconsiderate, narcissistic brat through the entire series without any form of logic to justify her actions. You say that one slap in episode nine was uncalled for enough to consider an alternative; I'd consider all of her abuse to be uncalled for. As TIF concisely put it,

Or she's just a bitch.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2010, 07:08:21 PM »
10:

You know, I was thinking about this, and then remembered a quote that at least somewhat explains this. Surprisingly enough TIF, it's yours. Never thought I would answer someone's question with their own quote. New things everyday.

The scene where Kyousuke is listening to their conversation through the wall, where Kirino is not only keeping secrets to her friends about her hobby, but also her general personality. She’s acting like a “good girl” with them, another false mask that she puts on to keep her status. In short, her whole life outside of her otaku hobby is a lie. But she’s not unrealistic here. We all put on different faces and attitudes depending on who we’re dealing with. Do you walk up to the president and / or CEO of your company and start spouting curse words, beer in hand, talking about the chick you just nailed on Friday night? **** no. We recognize the social stigmata that exist all around us. Even otaku recognize this, that’s why they KNOW their hobby is weird. In Kirino’s case, it’s not just her hobby she’s trying to hide, but her rather brash personality. A personality she only shows to her brother. He is her outlet for normalcy in more ways than one. Now she can show it off with her otaku friends, too.

She’s not alone either. Look at Saori’s behavior. Online she talks in the most ultra feminine and proper language, but that’s just a game she plays for her own amusement. In person, she has the self described “classic otaku look”, which means she’s wearing that on purpose to define her existence. She knows she doesn’t have to look like that, but chooses to. Another game for her? Who knows. All I know is that the more I think about Saori the more interesting she becomes.

And then there’s Ruri who has also been hiding the secret that she’s pretty ****ing good at fighting style video games (or just games in general). I have a feeling Ayase is going to turn out to be just as secretive as her friend is. Perhaps on a much more dark scale.

The point? As House puts it, “everybody lies”. This show is trying to show us that everybody has something under the surface that we’re embarrassed about, even the otaku!

Think about in this sense, if you want to show a "Miss Perfect" like a pop idol or something to that extent (like Kirino, Ayase, and whoever that other girl is), what's the best way to do it? Make them the exact opposite of the "masks" they wear, in this case, make all three of them bitches. It does have the issue of making them unlikable, but the anime community has loved tsunderes since before I was born, so who am I to say? (Of course, not all tsunderes are bitches, just a lot of them.)

As for Ruri, she's not really a bitch, you could argue that it's her "mask," especially considering the non bitch like interactions she had with her sister in the past episode.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2010, 08:37:05 AM »
11:

The door lock is one of the greatest simple inventions of mankind. That, and perhaps earphones. Dear Kyousuke, please use them.

Part 1:

You know, the argument between Kyousuke and Kirino got awfully digressive when she suggested what if he made out with a guy in the house while Kyousuke. I didn't know that she had it in her all along, and that such an idea actually came right out of Kiriko's mouth, not Kyousuke's. Irony, eh.

Manami's probably the sweetest girl ever, and it makes Kirino sick. Well, not really: she's just sick to see how such a nice girl is Kyousuke's good friend. I didn't feel any sense of cynicism of how Kirino feels more inferior to Manami as a sister - yeah, the whole Kyousuke recognizing Manami like his sister more than Kirino and all - so we were just watching Kirino being her frustrated self.

Dear Kyousuke (again), if the Esc button fails, remember why laptops are better than desktops: you can CLOSE THE LID.

Part 2

Now, that... is just the most touchest thing this show has achieved. Great job, JC Staff AIC. It redeemed this show a lot (although maybe not entirely) and for once, I feel glad that Kyousuke taking the rep for all of Kirino's troubles didn't go to waste. That, and how there's a commendable effort at redeeming Kirino's bitchy character. I never liked her as a viewer but I would respect her for (finally) thanking Kyousuke for the shit he's put himself through all this time.

Once again, good one on you for working your magic.

And so, the story fork starts here. I don't know if the BAD END would go well with the apparently feel-good episode 12. Kinda kills every hope you wanna have for this show. It's not like School Days where seeing a few people die horrible deaths are warranted. I would like to see how the BAD END would go, but I'm skeptical if it's a good one.

As you can see, I'm trying to be optimistic especially after watching episode 12 11.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 07:40:09 PM by AC »

Offline Ascaloth

• Yo! Yo!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2010, 09:29:54 AM »
@AC,

JC Staff? Funny, I always thought AIC was at the helm.

8)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2010, 09:43:55 AM »
Oh yeah, my bad. The show keeps giving me the JC Staff aura for some reason, like Angel Beats with its KyoAni-esque aura.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2010, 04:34:39 PM »
11:

This episode only solidified what I had originally thought about the show, so I'll just defer from comment until the finale. Edit: Never mind, I have just one comment.

Well, not really: she's just sick to see how such a nice girl is Kyousuke's good friend.
I'm not sure if "good friend" is the correct word here. The scene where Kirino says "it's like if I brought my boyfriend over and we had sex on the couch" was a decent hint that, at least in Kirino's mind, that the correct word would be "girlfriend." Which would also explain why you felt no cynicism that Mamami's a better sister, because somewhere between episode 5 and episode 11, it changed a little, or we saw something that wasn't there. Despite me saying that, this is yet another missed opportunity in a show that's full of them.

And so, the story fork starts here. I don't know if the BAD END would go well with the apparently feel-good episode 12. Kinda kills every hope you wanna have for this show. It's not like School Days where seeing a few people die horrible deaths are warranted. I would like to see how the BAD END would go, but I'm skeptical if it's a good one.
I'm pretty sure there won't be a bad end to this, only the good end (to wrap it up in 12 episodes) and the true end (which follows the light novel). So no School Day type endings here (as far as I know).

Final part removed as requested.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 07:44:14 PM by The Big Guy »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2010, 07:39:03 PM »
Wow, you already saw the unaired finale? That's amazing!
It was a tiring night. Gimme a break.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2010, 07:30:38 AM »
11:

What the **** was that...

Part A was moving along as pretty standard fare for this show.  Kirino has an issue, acts the bitch, is thwarted by reality, etc.  Honestly, I thought this part was fine.  It extended Kirino's issues with Manami as a battle field by proxy with her brother issues.  The thing that bugs me the most about this show is how much it teases and teeters on the incest fence.  Nothing is obvious.  Everything is mired in double speak, innuendo, and easy misunderstandings.  This isn't even a problem of viewer bias.  In other words, fags who want this to be incestuous wont absorb every comment and incident as evidence of their own fetishes and the opposing side wont either.  The show deliberately does just enough to keep everything milquetoast.  Kirino's obsession with Manami could be romantic jealousy or it could be sibling jealousy.  Kirino extending the argument about Manami with Kyousuke into "boyfriend" and "sex" land could be an indication that Kirino is jealous of Manami's potential relationship with Kyousuke and what they could do together or she could have just gone completely out into left field with logical fallacies (people do this... they piss me off).  Kirino's attempts at sabotage could be more romantic jealousy or just her being her usual bitch self because her initial plans failed (her attacks against Manami failed, so she goes after Kyousuke again instead).

Stuff like this has been going on the whole show.  There is reason to believe that any number of possibilities exist.  But because the show (and the source material) refuses to go down any particular road, we're left with nothing but irritation.  A show that isn't deliberate in it's execution is NOT something I'd normally complain about.  When it comes to something like Utena, where there is a perception of an underlying theme, though no obvious implication of it (until you get to the movie that is, which is why I hate the ****ing movie), the audience is left with a mystery that needs to be solved.  It piques interest.  This show was at it's best when it wasn't trying to be vague.  When Kirino just has it out with Kyousuke over what her issues are.  Once they went "gray" area, it got ****ing stupid  It got worse when it started to deviate from the source material, because this is where things get totally FUBAR*.  It becomes canon, at least for the show, and this is the only exposure most people will have to this work.

And I haven't even gotten to Part B, yet.  Not only does B continue to exasperate the issues above, especially with Kuroneko's manga (and those of you who say she's not a bitch, exhibit A).  However, the truly jarring bit was what AC described as a "most touchiest" moment in the entire show.  I don't know if the show did anything to "redeem" itself.  That's not the word I would use.  How's about "bullshit"?  Yeah, I like bullshit in this case.  The show bullshitted itself.

Don't get me wrong, I was fine with it up to and including Kyousuke's finally having it out with Kirino (and to a lesser extent, Kuroneko and Saori).  If there was a moment I had been waiting for the entire time, it was Kyousuke finally having it up to here with his little sister.  For 10 episodes, she's been ungrateful, annoying, bossy, narcissistic, abusive, and utterly irrational.  This whole time, I've been wondering what kind of person he really is and the best answer I can come up with is "welcome mat".  He takes, and takes, and takes, and takes, and though he's been understandably upset with his sister in a reactionary sense, he always comes back and gives his best for her.  No reason has ever been given, other than "that's the plot".  So for him to finally blow was indeed redeeming, both for the show and for him.

And he only gets to be pissed off for about 20 seconds.  Kuro and Saori being immediately apologetic is understandable.  Kirino going into full moe mea culpa mode just ruined it.  Now, I know what you're thinking.  I've been calling her a bitch this whole time.  I've been saying what an annoying character she is.  So now we she finally GETS THE **** OVER HERSELF and I'm not satisfied.  Irrational?  Maybe, but I think my problem is the timing.  I'm okay with her finally admitting her gratitude to her brother and I'm fine with her actually admitting she's happy to have Kuroneko and Saori as her friends.  Those things are great.  It was going to happen eventually.  This is the logical conclusion to the entire show.  It was necessary.  I just think it's poorly placed.  The entire point of the meeting was to cheer up Kyousuke?  How did they know all this?  We go from Part A to Part B and it felt like there was about 3 episodes inbetween missing.  How did we go from **** Bitch to Humble Cutie Pie in a commercial break?  It reeks of "whoops, we're running out of time, better wrap this shit up" syndrome.  Rushed.  The whole thing is cataclysmic.

Besides, Kirino's duty as a human being is hardly over.  She still has to apologize to Manami, to her friend Ayase, and her parents for all the cruelty, lying, and selfish behavior.  I will say this, Kyousuke finally admitted quite a few things to himself about his feelings for his sister, and that's fine.  But Kyousuke still has a right to be pissed at her.

Some say anger is irrational.  I disagree.  Anger is a product of irrational thought.  Typically we get angry because we don't understand something.  When it's something frustrating like dog training or math problems, anger is irrational.  Kyousuke has no idea and does not understand why Kirino is a bitch, thus his anger.  It's one thing when you can't figure out something that you and only you control.  It is another thing when you can't control understanding because there's another person involved.  Irrationality pisses people off and for good reason.  Kirino is irrational.  Kyousuke's anger is rational.  I'm just sorry he doesn't get a chance to continue being pissed off.  Would have made for a much better show.

*FUBAR = ****ed Up Beyond All Recognition

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2010, 07:52:18 AM »
@TIF

I want to at least reward the moment where Kirino and Kyousuke makes up one way or another. It's just me: I'll be good to something which I deem is "uncynical", even if the buildup to it is poorly done. If you can go back a few months ago, remember when the K-ON band members were crying like little kids? I actually like that particular scene, even when I said that the whole show is a "cynical product" in general.

The show's poor timing towards this scene is, well, nothing surprising for me. It's probably because it's not the show's first time: I think the show's done more criminal with Kirino's successful shot at getting her own anime. In fact, that's the persistent problem of this show: it's not just the poor timing, it's the whole ambiguity over the innate attraction (?) between Kyousuke and Kirino. It's that same frustrating feeling we had with Angel Beats' ambiguity too.

I won't argue if you think that the scene is overly convenient, hasty or even distasteful - fair enough - but if I were to see something that makes me all fuzzy inside, just for that exclusive scene alone I'll give it a plus (of course, this is without considering the other factors around it). Maybe the scene worked for me because I've always regarded her as a bitch with no hope of redemption in sight. This scene is a step forward. Just one step.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2010, 05:35:19 PM »
Top 5 Highlights:

5) The receptionist where the party was being held. "Damn it, the maid-cosplay-fetish pervert caught me looking at him disapprovingly twice now!

4) Kirino coming very close to not being a complete bitch. Well, okay, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she wasn't bitchy then.

3) Kyōsuke accidentally giving away he watched porn on his sister's laptop to his mum.

2) The 'everything's gone to s***' situation which Kyōsuke finds himself in due to the traps. I felt so bad for him, though I don't know why he didn't just explain/tell Manami his sister did it for a joke or to scare Manami. I couldn't imagine a more awkward or horrifically shameful moment to find yourself in (until I saw Yosuga no Sora episode 11 when... well, if you watched it, you know when).

1) Kuroneko in a cat maid costume saying nii-sama in a provocative manner. Had me laughing so much I had to pause in order that I didn't miss too much.

A feel good episode, though I did feel there was a jump from Manami seeing sister eroge on the laptop to the party. And I have said this time and time again, but Kyōsuke is so nice it's almost inspiring. Having your sister get you into that awkward a situation with your best friend (though actually a bit more than that), and then have her throw stuff at you when you're not actually doing anything wrong... well, I, and I'm sure many would also do or want to, would go up to Kirino and punch her in the face as hard as I could, and I would get great pleasure from it. I almost thought that Kyōsuke would have a proper outburst, but unfortunately he's just too nice. He certainly is virtuous.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2010, 05:29:06 AM »

SWEET~

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2010, 03:16:08 PM »
AC: Ah, if only that was real...

12:

For a cliche nothing is resolved ending, I thought that was better than the norm. Certainly better than expected.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 07:47:42 PM by The Big Guy »

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2010, 06:55:02 PM »
12:
This last episode wasn't really an ending I had hoped for. It wasn't a conclusion to the story as a whole, since it only resolved a problem that appeared in that episode. I am slightly relieved to here that it wasn't the true ending, but I'm pissed it's only available to blu-ray discs of the series, which means it won't become available for me to watch on the internet for some time, which is annoying.

However, there were good aspects to this episode, though comparatively few compared to most the series. When Kyōsuke finds out his friend is buying homo-hentai (I forgot the technical name), the scene was hilarious. Especially when the friend says that it's his sister who wants it, and he's just buying it for her, Kyōsuke, despite being in the exact same situation, thinks that the situation is totally unbelievable until he thinks about his own situation. I thought it was funny, but hard to believe, I mean, considering he must have had the little sister explanation on standby himself due to the situation he was in, I'm surprised he didn't notice sooner his friend reciting the excuse he was about to use in front of him.

Anyway, the episode fell both generally and in terms of the series. Not a brilliant way to finish the series, or should I say season, since it's not quite over...

Oh, and I liked the review Ascaloth did on this series. It covered everything that I'd thought throughout the series. I couldn't agree more on certain things you said, namely Kyōsuke being saint-like and the side characters not having enough air time. Kirino being bitchy... well, I would say I agree with you, but that would be poitnless since everyone agrees with you. She as a character was identifiable, but not particularly believable: She has many, if not most of the negative traits of a little sister, but those traits are blown completely out of proportion compared to the level of an actual little sister, and yes, I do have my own to compare these traits against.

The real regret I have about this series was how they never really expanded on the side characters, which were far more interesting and likeable than Kirino. I know the show is based around her, but does it all have to be about Kirino?
Quote from: Ascaloth
OreImo had a great deal of potential, and could have explored new ground with the juxtaposition between mainstream and subculture, but squandered it all to content itself with being a merely decent otaku comedy.

I was slightly less upset about this than the lack of expansion of the side characters, but I was still 'disappointed' with the show for reaching the heights it's story line could have. It's not as is the comedy wasn't funny in the later episodes, but as Ascaloth has said, it squandered the great potential that it started off with.

Lastly: Three favourites I'm taking from this series -
1: The Opening, which I love
2: Kuroneko, who was an amazing character
3: Kyōsuke, who I use as my ultimate role model in terms of generosity, patience, and just plain saintliness.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:03:42 PM by Fumoffu!! »

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2010, 04:06:44 AM »
That was a crap end.  It was rushed, the character behaviour during the first half didn't mesh with what we'd seen previously, and the major dilemma and resolution felt like they were pulled out of someone's ass.  For such an incestuous family, geez, these people seem to not do much talking with each other.  If you're sister is going to America, you're going to find out, even if she doesn't tell you directly.  These things just don't stay secret... not if it's been in the works for six months.

This show just never really recovered after ep 8, unfortunately.  It was never as good as the earlier eps after that.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2010, 04:31:01 AM »
Thanks S-K, I didn't have the heart to rag on another show's dismal failure.  You're right, nothing worked after episode 8, for reasons I've already laid out individually.  I don't know how many times I groaned during episode 12.  For all the cleverness that went into the earlier parts of this show, 12 felt like a total insult to our intelligence.

I don't know why they chose to go the direction they did, but by all accounts I've heard they deviated so far from the source material that it might as well not be based on it.  Not knowing the original source material doesn't help either.  There might be something there that either the producers got gun-shy about or they didn't think they could pull off in a 12 episode format.  Why they're tacking on bonus episodes if this is the case I cannot even remotely say.  And for an anime that didn't quite push the incest buttons too hard, they sure enjoy having scenes of Kirino sticking her ass out at her brother.

The only parts of episode 12 I remotely thought were interesting was Kuroneko's foreshadowing or just teasing of Kirino on her desires for Kyousuke and Kirino's mom sitting down to watch the anime based off her daughter's work.  Yeah, that might have made for an interesting dinner conversation...

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2010, 07:42:41 AM »
12:

I'm pissed at three things in this so-called "GOOD ENDING" episode:

- Why was Kirino pulling off an Ayatsuji-style pretentious show? I don't get it. At first, I thought it was another giant step/lapse in characterization that almost requires a suspension of disbelief. At least for Ayatsuji's case, her motivation was pretty easy to see through. I don't even see what's the motivation for Kirino's case at all. A red herring? It's a piss-poor red herring.

- So what the hell is this final session of "Life Counselling", anyway? It drove me up the wall at first when the last session of this Life Counselling turns out to be just running an errand. Why? Maximum anti-climax, that's why. Sure, the one-two conversation between Akagi and Kyousuke was amusing. But that's about it. Plus, it was kinda unexpected that the homo-hentai video shown featured two burly men, something I personally thought was more for Western taste. Don't Japanese fujoshis prefer bishie-yaoi instead? Never mind, I'm thinking too much over the trivial.

- Kirino is heading to America? SK says it comes straight off someone's ass. Well said. So, what's the point here? We learn that Kirino was going there, with us viewers left completely in the dark about it just like Kyousuke, Kirino returns to being a bitch, then the whole America thing went down the drain. So what? The show throws a grenade here, and then scrambles to take it back? I don't get it.

A feel-good conclusive episode this may be, but it's yet another crappy episode. It's amazing that this show fizzled rather quickly, just like HOTD.

--

My thoughts on this show:

KIRINO'S A BITCH.

*erm*

I hate the titular character from the start. She's way up there on my hate list, alongside Toradora's Aisaka Taiga. While Taiga may be worse than Kirino for being a Kugimiya-tsundere, Kirino is actually still just as vindictive for making fallacy comments and an unusual and questionable take on eroge materials. Her "tsun" side outweighs her "dere" side, often to intolerable levels. More often than not, I feel like this show is more of a chore to watch than an entertainment. Every time Kirino comes on screen, I wonder how long will it be before her first strike on Kyousuke shall be.

As for the show itself, it initially left me wondering what this show strives to be. A show to explore an otaku lifestyle, concentrating mostly on eroge? Fine enough, but for whom? Is it trying to show it more neutrally? Or is it more for just otakus? Frankly, I'm inclined towards the latter. The show did show some instances of potentially insightful material (especially the one on dangerous otaku behavior in the newspaper). But the show gets fecal to the point of no return by episode 8, where the show apparently proves itself to be otaku fodder. I don't really want to talk about episode 8 in detail, frankly because the episode shoves constructive cricitism and common sense down the pipe over Kirino's giant leap from novice novel writer to anime debut.

Sure, episode 2 featured an epic statement by Kyousuke's dad, episode 3 featured a great nerd fight, episode 9 was meta-comedy done right, and episode 11 had a touching end (albeit poor buildup). Plus, Kuroneko's a cool girl for being a discerning otaku/caring big sister. But the show has more crap than the good stuff, so in overall it just fails. It's a show full of bitches.

A very weak 5/10 for me. The only reason why it doesn't get a 4 is because of the little good things: Manami, Kuroneko, the crisp animation, the catchy OP, some good episodes, etc.

Offline Elineas

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2010, 01:49:14 PM »
KIRINO'S A BITCH.

Because it just needs to be said again. Who is this impostor in episode 12 that has kidnapped our annoying protagonist? Actually, you can keep her, no one will miss her.

That was a lovely example of an irrelevant and inconclusive ending, topped by the conflict that never really was. The only thing I've taken from the show after every episode is the question "What are you trying to do, Oreimo?" I never got my answer. Inconsistency up the wazoo and conflicts that are actually a big deal don't mean a thing. Kirino's vindictiveness makes it all the worse. At least the bitchiness of other characters like Asakura Miu are given justification, even if the reasoning is weak, and she's made with the intention of being unlikable. I don't even think Kirino was supposed to piss us off this much; perhaps the creators thought this was actually something we would lap up without question because, in Scamp's words,

Quote from: Scamp
She’s an otaku who likes kawaii eroge with imoutos and under­stands the value of keep­ing in the ero scenes because they pre­serve the story and, more import­antly, give us plenty of caps for later use. Bet­ter yet, she’s one of us while also being a kawaii imouto her­self.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not it's a 4 or a 5, but I'm leaning toward a 4. Incoherent plot kills, folks.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2010, 06:19:17 PM »
Although Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai ultimately failed in utilising to the full the premise on which the anime was based on, it was never not an entertaining show for me (excluding Episode 8, which I actually got angry at). What really bugged me was all the lost potential in the other characters of this series. A few of them I wouldn't mind not seeing any more of, namely Kirino's friends, since they are all such bitches. Though that said I would have liked to see some more of Ayase, and see her develop as a character, provided she wasn't so bitchy (you see moments of her that aren't bitchy, and that's the side I would have liked for them to would expand on). Anyway, in terms of the lost potential in characters, these are the ones I felt because they weren't expanded on, the anime lost a lot of potential:

.Manami
.Manami's family
.Ayase
.Kuroneko (I can't say this enough) and her family
.Saori
.The parents of Kirino and Kyōsuke (more to see how they would develop in their opinion and treatment of anime and otaku)

Now I look at this, I realise I have listed most of the characters that aren't Kirino or Kyōsuke. I think that's significant in a way.

Incoherent plot kills, folks.

This I agree with, not just due to the obvious fact that no story is a bad thing, but also because the lack of story meant that most of characters didn't have a chance to progress. It's the independent episodes (by which I mean they have little to no impact on one another) of this series that brings this series down. Now I look at this series, it had far much more potential than I would ever have guessed given the first episode. In characters, commentary and story it could have done great things with, it depresses me that it didn't reach the heights in any of these things that it could have.

Still, the Otaku comedy that this series eventually fell into I found to be entertaining, so the end product wasn't totally dismal, but it could have been so much better.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2011, 03:28:01 AM »
12.5:

So that's it? That's the so-called "TRUE ENDING"? We had all that brouhaha over something so insignificant? Pfft, so much for overhyped alternate ending. I can't help but feel that this feels just like that final decision-making stop in your typical dating sims game, but for this case, I don't really understand the point in having an alternate ending? Are the writers that cowardice to just go with a single ending and risk offending some raegers for not giving them their "ideal" ending?

But seriously, nothing is substantially different about this compared to episode 12 (i.e. "GOOD ENDING") because basically

Spoiler for Hiden:
in this episode, it's just a hypothetical ending where Kirino does choose to go to America for her sports training.

I still think the ending seems to come straight out of someone's ass. Particularly, when there hasn't been any hints about Kirino's athletic abilities before. But, I would admit one thing: It has a somewhat sweet ending - which is another surprise for me since I was anticipating a BAD ENDING or something - because at least for this case, I can understand why Kirino is starting to behave like a good little sister from the start, unlike the pretentious one she puts up in episode 12. I can see what makes behave in such a way at least, so I'll give this episode its due credit (although I think that this show should've just gone through with this episode in the first place and the premises are ill-formed).

My impression for the show hasn't changed; I still think it's a weak 5/10. My intense hatred for Kirino has been long gone, but I won't forget how much it was of a chore to put up with her bitchiness.

Oh, and one last thing:

Spoiler for Hiden:

*snicker* Kirino's wandered onto some scary shit. Literally. Yeah sure, she could've bought this out of curiosity or ignorance of coprophilia, but then here's something to think about: Why is she keeping it? Don't tell me it's because it's hard to get rid of it, or that she doesn't want anyone to know about it.

Maybe she enjoys it.

Offline kadian1364

• Joined the Dark Side for the dental plan
  • Reviewer
    • MAL profile

« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2011, 07:30:41 PM »
I disliked how for almost 21 minutes it was an exact replay of the TV finale, and only diverged with Kirino's decision.

I am pleased that Kuroneko might be playing a bigger part in this path; she is hands down the best character in the series (not just my favorite, but most interesting and best written) and it would do well to focus more on her. Remember, the DVD extras are a 4 episode arc different from the end of the TV run, so a lot can still happen. Taking Kirino out of the picture is an auspicious sign.

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2011, 08:06:35 PM »
^ I haven't watched the OVA yet, but are you saying I could skip ~20 minutes, to save me the time/inevitable angst at Kirino?

Offline kadian1364

• Joined the Dark Side for the dental plan
  • Reviewer
    • MAL profile

« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2011, 08:14:04 PM »
^ I haven't watched the OVA yet, but are you saying I could skip ~20 minutes, to save me the time/inevitable angst at Kirino?

Totally. If you remember episode 12 well enough, 12.5 only changes when the siblings play the new eroge after Kyousuke bought it at the midnight release.

Offline Elineas

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »
On the flip side of copy pasting whole cloth from episode 12, was there a point in having him borrow someone's bike to get back? That scene was completely useless. If you're going to copy paste, might as well go the whole nine yards. Well, it did remind me how thoroughly whipped Kyousuke is, which doesn't help my impression at all.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2011, 03:59:13 AM »
Damn it, I was foolishly expecting better. And I liked this series as well (more specifically the characters, but's that's almost the same thing isn't it?)

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2011, 09:46:38 PM »
Say what you want about the rest of the episode, but that last scene has to be seen as a positive sign at least.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2011, 11:01:03 PM »
For the record, there are three more episodes left. So TRUE END is a misnomer.

On a happy note, Kirino is gone and Kureneko is in. What more can you ask for this show?

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2011, 01:18:49 PM »
13:

I started watching, and as the Opening credits started, and the addictive tune by ClariS started, it felt like I'd watched the last episode only last week, I realize how familiarized I became with this show.

Anyway, this episode was okay, it was a lot better for not having Kirino in it. Kuroneko was in the spotlight, and although I like her a lot better than Kirino, she wasn't as likable as in the previous outings. It was sad to see her being outcast by her class etc. but that's to be expected if you reject the people in your class. And we saw another side of classic Otaku girl, she got REALLY perverted, groping herself in front of Kyouske. It was slightly disgusting actually.

As for Akagi, well she was a laugh. It was funny, though completely unbelievable. Ah well.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2011, 08:58:32 PM »
And we saw another side of classic Otaku girl, she got REALLY perverted, groping herself in front of Kyouske. It was slightly disgusting actually.

What part of a girl groping herself in front of a guy is disgusting?  I personally had to nail my wood down lest it run out of control.  As we've seen from certain scenes in the series, she's by far the hottest girl there.  So her antics are just that much more humorous.

As for the rest, well, I'm sure the Kuroneko fags enjoyed the hell out of this.  I kept waiting for something interesting to happen and was disappointed.  This was faux drama at its worst.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2011, 06:31:20 AM »
13:

I've liked Kuroneko for most of the time, but I don't like her as much on this outing. It's probably because she's showing a side of her that's so much like Kirino: egocentric, bitchy and in denial. Yes, it's nothing new from her but the reason why I've liked her in the earlier episodes is because, despite being friends, her antagonistic otaku behavior towards Kirino is what I've actually been enjoying all this time. So now, with Kirino out of the picture, Kuroneko sticks out as the only bitch of the show. At least, she's not as over-the-top as Kirino so I'm okay.

Sure, this may be Kuroneko's episode. But the character that really steals the show is actually Akagi. I like her a lot because she reminds me of B Gata H Kei's Kanejo: a girl who thinks that she's above everyone else, but gradually (or more like, rapidly) sheds her pretentious cover to reveal that she's an outwardly hardcore fujoshi. She doesn't realze how illogical her reasons are for joining a club that she claims isn't her type, so I guess I have to give kudos to Kyousuke, since he's the one who asked all those interrogative questions.

Plus, does she realize that, despite her witty meta-commentary, her perception of society sounds fantastic? More specifically, her commentary concerning anime are pretty much spot-on but her commentary on RL society is way off the mark? Now that's a clear sign that she's not your average girl. It's just hilarious what kind of nonsense spews out from her mouth, including how she fantasizes someone being raped even when that person is actually in that room. Potentially best supporting character since Kanejo.

Just to change the topic for a while...

The whole club scene reminds me of the current state of the anime club in my university. It's quite sad: they don't have a clubroom because the management won't give one to them, there are a lot of phantom members, the club name doesn't have the word "anime" in it because of perception issues (senseless to me but whatever), etc. More amazingly, the school's Japanese cultural club has created their own anime circle even when there's already one in school. The duplication of a club of similar interests gives me an impression that these anime lovers don't want to be tagged as otakus so they're hiding behind the cultural club's image and create their own circle, rather than join the anime club which by default has been tagged as the otaku club.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2011, 07:37:37 PM »
If Kyousuke really has a thing for his sister then it makes sense for him to turn Kuroneko into an imouto surrogate with benefits while she's gone.  I think that's a pretty clear statement on what type of personality Kyousuke has.

This ep was OK, but the whole stuff with Akagi's sister got a bit stupid towards the end.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2011, 10:37:43 AM »
14:

Akagi is such a weird character: "I'm sorry, but I can't help but have dirty fantasies whenever I see you", the fact she based the characters of her full-on Homo RPG on the club members is hilarious. When she told them, I couldn't help laugh how they went to check which scenes they were in.

And Kyōsuke is the master of phrasing things badly: (In response to Kuroneko saying how she wasn't sure how she'd write a sex scene) "In that case, I'll help you out!". He's always been very good at phrasing things in a way that makes him sound as perverted as possible (My first post here was about that), he never learns does he?

Though he's not the only one...

Quote from: Kuroneko
If they say that my masturbation material is boring, then I'll have to show them masturbation like they've never seen before!

Then there's Akagi talking about the "wonderful composition of the warrior getting an arm inserted into his anus" - No wonder everyone in the room was so scared....

What actually interests me the most this episode is how Kuroneko said she liked Kyōsuke as much as Kirino did. How much does Kirino like Kyōsuke according to Kuroneko, and in what way? And Kyōsuke still doesn't get that Kirino actually liked him. I would have least thought that he thought Kuroneko liked him better than his sister apparently did.

It was a fun episode, the 'drama' was forced, but I can ignore that quite easily. The next episode is the last, I wonder what will happen.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2011, 04:44:43 AM »
14:

So, Akagi doesn't hide the fact that she loves sausage fests explicitly (of which no one else technically has any beef about before she introduced her game) but has a big problem with guys playing eroge? Talk about double-standards :P

But yeah, this episode is decent because Kuroneko gets off her high horse and asks Akagi for help, thereby swallowing her pride. That, and she doesn't hide the fact that she appreciates Kyousuke's company.

Let's just bring on the final episode and end this once and for all.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2011, 06:52:43 PM »

As a light novel reader, I smell season 2.

Offline Horsechoker

« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2011, 01:25:41 AM »

Does the bitch come back from America?
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

Offline Elineas

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2011, 01:30:49 AM »

Why is it that this is exactly how I expected the question to be phrased?

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2011, 01:34:54 AM »

Unfortunately...
Spoiler for Hiden:
Yes she does. In fact, Kyousuke goes there to take her back.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2011, 02:42:01 PM »

God I ****ing hope not.

Like most people here, I was fairly interested in the goings on at the beginning, but the more I watch of this the less I care for it.  In fact, I'm near "loathing" at this point.  I don't think I have had such a linear decline in my enjoyment of a show quite like I have with this one.  I have gone down a notch nearly every second episode from Intrigued to Meh to **** This (the stages inbetween are not important as I can't think of them right now).  It isn't just the disappointing and ****ing stupid non canon filler episodes either.  By this point, I cannot figure out what anybody sees in this anymore.

It has degraded to fetish fuel and nothing more.  Folks who were living in denial about this being nothing more than an incest show should dunk their heads in acid.  If you're that blind that you can't figure out where this is going to end up, then you haven't been watching anime in the last 10 years.  Yeah, I know, the show is disguising this obvious fetish premise behind a veil of pretentious characters who seem interesting when they aren't going out of character and acting the retard.  However, looking back at things, all of this has mattered not a lick to drive the central plot point home.

It could just be the anime.  It could just be that visually seeing what was written makes it more obvious.  But by this point even the novel-fags have to be narrowing their eyes.  I may watch this to it's conclusion, but by this point it is just a more sophisticated pander platform.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2011, 05:07:30 PM »
My reasoning is exactly what TIF said. I read the novel. I'm up to the latest volume and there are just so many things that focus on plot. In the latest novel that came out a few months ago,
Spoiler for Hiden:
Kyousuke and Kuroneko are already dating. Kirino even brings a 'pretend' boyfriend home to test Kyousuke's feelings.
Given that the producers had all this material to work with, they choose to focus on these fillers. Their only choice now is to make a Anime-original ending (which I doubt, since that defeat the purpose of this 'true-end') or continue it with a sequel that keeps follows the LN.

Not to mention at this rate, the last episode will really finish at a nice cliffhanger leading into season 2.

Offline Jack Rav

« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2011, 06:02:29 PM »
Not to mention at this rate, the last episode will really finish at a nice cliffhanger leading into season 2.
[/quote]
Which I, for one, won't be watching. (Then again, I haven't watched the OVAs either...so I'm not entirely best-placed to judge.) Not sure I've ever hated a female lead more than Kirino. O.O

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2011, 07:04:20 PM »
Not sure I've ever hated a female lead more than Kirino. O.O

I've seen characters far more annoying than Kirino. She deserved the most hated character of 2010 on AnimeSuki for sure, but all time? I don't think so. Sekai from School Days, Kaede from Shuffle!, Hawatari from Loveless, and the list goes on. Kirino is just your average tsundere imouto. I'm sure if you think back to everything you've watched, you'll easily find someone you hate more.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #146 on: May 31, 2011, 11:18:19 PM »
15 (and Dear Lord, please make this the grand finale):

You know how I would sum this episode up? It's like yelling frantically that there's a dangerous weapon, like a bomb, on board the plane but it turns out to be something harmless, like a spoon. Yeah, another big brouhaha over something trivial. Again.

Kyousuke was surprised to see a drastic message from Kirino. His dad too. A bit overreacted but perfectly justified response from the two. Kyousuke tells this matter to Kuroneko, and she has a bitch-fit over it. Another overreaction but without justification. But nothing surprising per se; she's a condescending bitch after all. Better yet, she has this hot-cold spectrum about her demeanor: she goes on a bitch-fit at one point, and becomes moe in the next. Nothing in between.

Kirino wants her stuff to be thrown away because *drumrolls* she doesn't want to be dependent to them. Oh I see: Maybe I should quit watching anime and writing reviews because I'm going overseas and I don't want to be bound to them back home. You know what, she this is stupid; she cried even before the milk is spilled. A BIT MUCH, DON'T YOU THINK.

Anyway, it's all over now. For now. HOPEFULLY.

--

My thoughts:

I'll ask the question that has been lingering in my mind since the True Route episodes are announced: what's the point? Why introduce two routes? Why cut the original storyline short and then create another path? More importantly, why an identical ending? It's like I've been given a map that shows the original route to the destination, and handed with another longer route that still leads to the same destination? Is it because the longer route is better? Maybe, although I'm not convinced. Is it because I'm sadistic and I like to see more routes to the same destination like some uncontented eroge gamer? Hell no.

The way I see it, nothing has changed: 99% of the characters are still Bitchy with a capital 'B', the story is still about making a big fuss over something so trivial, Kyousuke still turns to his heart for answers leaving his brain neglected and full of cobwebs, and the show is more or less still about pandering to certain viewers.

A 5/10 for me. It's a pointless route. The fujoshi's antics are amusing a little and Kuroneko may have opened up (even if she hasn't changed much) but it has nothing on me.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:41:45 AM by AC »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2011, 12:38:05 AM »
15:

Oh good.  It's over.  Can we bury this pile of ****ing fail under a mountain of dog turds and never mention it again please?

Yep, it's over, because he basically confessed to his sister.  In America (**** YEAH!)!  Even if that wasn't his intent, it doesn't matter.

In fact, **** this show's deliberate attempt at abusing double speak.  I already bitched about this a couple of pages ago, but it bears repeating after Kyousuke's "confession".  Nearly every single speech made by any character could be seen as something more than it really is.  The writing is done on purpose to keep things "vague".  It's irritating.  Just ****ing commit one way or the other, you ****ing jackass.  By tip-toeing around the tulips, you're not cleverly hiding the obvious pandering.  Let's be blunt, no ****ing family members talk to each other this way.  There is no brother, anywhere, who has said anything like this to his sister.  Ever.  At least not without some kinky fetishist shit involved.

So stop insulting me by camouflaging the script.  It's not "mysterious", like I talked about earlier, it's just ****ing annoying.

As for the "True End", the hell was the point of all this inbetween shit with Kuroneko?  If ImperialX is right and we're going to get another season, then I guess this makes sense.  But if they're going to end the show with Kyousuke dragging Kirino back from Japan with shoulder clasping moments of inappropriateness, then you could have done that two episodes ago and spared us all this shit with Kuroneko and the computer club.  Seriously.  This has been retarded.  I know this follows the source material, but this isn't the "end" at all.  We all know it.  Including that stuff in the middle there between Kirino leaving and Kirino being dragged back was not important to shit.

So, bring on the next season, I guess.  It's the only logical course of action considering these last three episodes.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #148 on: June 01, 2011, 12:59:52 AM »
15:

Also known as the "We ran out of budget episode."

But yeah, I love this show to the point of irrationality and beyond. Still don't know why.

11/10. Bring on Season 2, ****ers.

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker

« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2011, 08:38:17 AM »
15:

I don't even know why Kirino went to train in the first place, she said she knew she wasn't international level, and she's already got a career in modelling (though those careers tend to end early), so why go? Because it was a plot device of course! They couldn't have thought of any other way to get her out the country after all. Kyōsuke's speech demonstrated a bit too much love for his sister, and I dislike the fact that the show kept implying a incestuous relationship. Ah well, in the end it was kind of sweet, if you just ignore th fact it's supposed to be implying something else...

Kuroneko is still a bit too bitchy, but I laughed at Kyōsuke's reaction to being kissed, that face wouldn't have been out of place in a horror.

Without any hint of sarcasm I can say that I love this show. As The Big Guy said, I don't really know why I do, but I do, and I hope they come out with a second season.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
Man, that dad is just as incestuous for Kirino as Kyousuke is.  From now on, the next time I hear The Aristocrats joke, I'm going to imagine they're talking about the Kousakas.

Ep 15

Underwhelming ending.  I lost a fair bit of respect for Kyousuke for his piney lonely "I need my sister" outburst.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11 [All]   Go Up