Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 18, 2017, 01:27:02 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ore no Imouto  (Read 37988 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Ore no Imouto
« on: October 04, 2010, 05:21:03 AM »
1:

You know what, I'm kinda sick of this show already.

Okay, here's the lowdown: two siblings are sick of each other, but the brother finds out about his sister's otaku lifestyle, especially her imouto fetish. Does her fetish involve something sexual, we don't know. She claims that it doesn't, but I don't buy it. C'mon, she's playing R-18 stuff!

I don't like this show one bit. The art is crisp and the animation is smooth, but there's nothing particularly worthy about this show. It just seems like a show aiming at viewers with similar otaku hobbies, and it's clearly obvious that Kinoko is quite the tsundere. Yes, it does seem clever to have a loli sister who likes loli sisters, but her haughty "tsun" factor is already rubbing me the wrong way.

Sankaku idiots call this the best show of the seasons... but idiots are just idiots, and I bet these are the same idiots who hailed HOTD as a "god among anime".

Offline bluecheez

Re: Ore no Imouto
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:31:14 PM »
Oh come on. Haruhi was a tsundere. Did you dump the entire series because of her character archtype? I think this show is reminiscent of Welcome to the NHK, and I, for one, think that it certainly has potential to be a great, super-awkward comedy.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 07:34:19 PM »
Which Haruhi are you talking about? Ouran High School Host Club or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? I like the former a lot, but the latter is too overrated in my view. I belong to the camp that believes that TMoHS isn't as marvelous as what others think.

And I've yet to watch Welcome to the NHK. I've been meaning to watch it, though.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:40:48 PM »
Suzumiya Haruhi isn't a tsundere.  She's an elitist brat, especially in the novels.  She treats everybody as if they exist only for her, her amusement, and to prove her superiority and for at least Yuki, Mikuru, and Koizumi this is true.  The irony is she's unaware of it.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline hoarfrost

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 04:58:43 PM »
 It looks like we're really going to have our fill of incestuous implications with this season! At least this one is somewhat subtle about it.

One thing I do find amusing is that the irony of having an obsession with moe imoutos and being a little brat is totally lost on her, possible closet bro-con implications aside.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 05:57:23 PM »
I'm willing to give this show a chance simply because it could be funny and possibly good if they go the right direction with it. (A.K.A the less incest the better, thank you very much) For whatever reason, I could relate to the whole "I want to be accepted despite my hobby" schtick and if it expands on that, I think it could be decent. If it tries to expand on the incest, this show is going into the trash bin. The fact that ANN is simulcasting it gives me hope, but that doesn't mean anything, considering some of the shows that are been simulcast in the past...

With that being said, I still haven't reached what could be the biggest problem in this show. The first episode wasn't actually funny. At all. Hopefully that's just because its a setup episode, but it always concerns me when a comedy doesn't make me laugh, at all. I hope for the best.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 11:46:26 PM »
1:

AC's pretty much nailed this one.  Exactly how much life do they think they can get out of a scenario like this?  The entire conflict is set up by keeping her hobby a secret?  Okay.  Done.  Took half a second.  Oh sure, there'll be a couple of "ALMOST" moments, but really... you can't exactly drag this out and have it work.

Just ask Kaicho wa Maid-Sama.

Anyway, since this is going to somehow end up a little sister fetish romance, I don't have a ton of hope that it will be anything resembling good.  So surprise me.  Otherwise you end up back on the trash heap where you started.

Offline ekka4shiki

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 02:07:59 AM »
1:

I don't get it ...

Okay, the theme is kinda unique ( i want imouto like that :P ), but the presentation is not good enough ... i mean , this is supposed to be comedy, right ? funny , i'm hardly laughing at it ...

But since it's only the beginning , i can forgive that ... Assuming it would be interesting on later episode ...

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 01:11:41 PM »
2:

Hm.

So the majority of this episode is spent with big brother helping little sister find some otaku friends.  I realize she's more of a social gal in the school yard sense, but I do find it hard to believe she hadn't come up with the idea of looking online for other otaku friends by herself.  Meh, whatever.  Maybe she was testing him.

As for the meetup, I sort of felt for our heroine a bit.  It isn't often one of the "cool kids" is ostracized by a social grouping.  It's not that she deserved it, it's just how it goes.  The irony, of course, is she was completely vexed by the social stigma associated with otaku, and she ends up getting a bit of it herself.  Not because she's "gross" to the group, but she's hard to approach.

The question is, did she do that on purpose?  Was she sabotaging her first meeting with otaku friends?  "I'm an otaku but not like YOU otaku" type sabotage?  She wants to maintain some sense of social superiority while still being down in the "gutter" so to speak.  In the end, it's her own fault, as some others pointed out.  However, it does seem like the girls in the group gave up on her a bit too easily just because she's wise to fashion.  Typically when you can get a group of diverse individuals involved, you can start learning things from each other.  The others didn't take the opportunity to learn about stuff they may not have known about before.

Still, it's not important because most of them are "no names".  The only ones who matter were the ones obviously differentiated from the group like she was, which leads to the smaller get together later.  A typical nerd rage bitch fight later, and things are looking bright for our hipster / nerd.

As for Broski, I actually kind of laughed at his reaction to the maid cafe.  I have to admit, if I had no prior knowledge of maid cafes and went into one completely on accident or unknowingly, I might be creeped out by it.  I mean, having some strange girl in a maid outfit calling me "onii-chan" would just get me wanting to leave.  On the flip side, finding a "tsundere" themed one would be a great way of trolling a bud.  "Hey dude, I know this great spot around the corner..."

So, like, as Broski points out, the counseling is "over".  So now what do we do for a plot?

Last point:  God this is gorgeously animated.  AIC is just handling the visuals for this marvelously.  When the entire episode has the some fluidity as the intro, you know someone's popping the budget bank a bit.  I hope it lasts.  Sure, gorgeousness is not a substitute for a good story, but it helps pass the time.

Offline hoarfrost

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 02:30:27 PM »
I can sort of empathize with little sister. She has her genuine likes, but she can't be open about them because of the negative connotation they are associated with. Who among us hasn't been there? "Well I like X, but I'm not like the other people who like X!". Following those types of negative associations at once keeps people from breaking them and from getting to know individuals that they might actually like. This show illustrates the problematic nature of the idea that "If you like this you must be like this" or vice versa by giving the main girl a conflict of identity because of it, and by putting her on the dishing and receiving end of it.

Maybe in the long run I'll come to find out that I've given it too much credit, but for now my regard for this show has risen somewhat.

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 10:12:30 PM »
@AC Not that anyone here actually likes my opinions, but personally I think Welcome to the NHK is amazing. The showed the hilarious and embarrassing situations otaku can get themselves into because of their hobby. At the same time it addresses social issues, finding and discovering meaning in life, and knows how to laugh at itself.

2:

I can't believe no one talked about how awesome this fight is. They are addressing EXACTLY what you have a problem with in K-On!, if a show is good because of popularity or ratings.

I've never played an eroge, but I find the show to be extremely relate-able. Managing what you love with what society deems socially acceptable is tough. I think it's hilarious that they point out the ridiculous fights that will happen among the social outcasts. As if these two aren't isolated enough.

Offline Elineas

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 12:01:56 AM »
I find it funny that this season we have quite a few shows that have, of all things, good execution within their first few episodes, which has been sorely lacking in most shows for a while. On the other hand, none of them have been able to pull their weight in terms of appeal, which really kills any kind of strong attachment to any of the series. This one, for instance, is not over the top with its plot and strives to maintain a level of reservedness that is admirable. On the other hand, I'm not really seeing this go anywhere; it has some amusing winks at the audience like bluecheez and TIF have pointed out, but I hardly expect it to follow through in any way. It just fails to pull in any kind of appeal that will allow it to be memorable.

But yeah, that fight was probably the most amusing thing in the show. You know it's true! *whistles*

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 02:52:36 AM »
@TIF

Well, I haven't watched Welcome to the NHK yet, but I have been hearing mixed views about it. It's quite the show that stirs people up one way or another, so I'll check it out soon.

2:

Quite a mixed episode for me, and here's why:

I find the OP quite pleasant to watch. It's not as hyperactive as Lucky Star, but not as jarringly slow that it's quite inappropriate for a light-hearted show. It's a decent OP.

Kirino still hasn't won any substantial favor from me. She has exhibited some short moments of approval for her brother's support of her otaku habits, but it hasn't changed her character which to me is irritating. She's still an elitist, tsundere-like, standoffish, spoilt ingrate who hasn't really acknowledge what Kyousuke had to put up with. Sometimes it's to the point that I feel sympathetic towards Kyousuke, and that the only reason Kyousuke is putting up with her attitude is because of the unconditional sunk cost: Kirino's his sister. Her character is interesting as a valid representative of the otaku lifestyle, but an irritating character is still an irritating character.

The IRL meeting scene... it's quite okay to me. It's enlightening to watch such a scene since I've been to my university anime club IRL meeting before. I don't know if the portrayal of the club girls is very true; for a long time, I've had the impression that otaku guys and girls are more... rabid, especially when they're in a certain topic.

That bitch fight between the Kirino and the emo girl, now that's a great scene. It takes an elitist to know an elitist, so it's something I can relate to since, although I don't consider myself as an otaku, I admit that I am an elitist to a certain extent. Although it almost reached to a boiling point, more importantly, it reflects how disagreement is ironically what brings anime lovers together. Opinions differ between people and it's an individual right, but at the same time, criticizing others' opinions is nothing wrong. There is a thin line separating criticising people's tastes and forcing your ideas on others, after all.

But even until now, I can't help but feel that this show is still an otaku-pandering product that you would see being worshipped in Sankaku Complex or something. It's bound to be overrated given the premises, and that's what rubs me the wrong way. It's not a terrible show, but it's one that doesn't always win my favor either.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:15:43 AM by AC »

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 04:29:07 AM »
I kinda think that's selling this show a bit short.  The issue that this show faces is, as has been discussed in this thread, longevity, but I really can't say I've had any issue with the execution to this point (which is only the first ep).  It's only pandering if that's what you're looking for from this show.  It's not blatant moexploitation like Nogizaka Haruka was, a show that shares some similarities with this one.  At this point, I see it more as an ironic twist on imouto moe.  And, in most cases, a capacity for irony kinda mitigates any chance of it being blatant pandering... unless you view it completely without irony.

Ep 1

It boils down to an anime where two people have to come together to protect a secret.  Let's see, Maid-sama, Nogizaka Haruka, Karin, the list goes on.  It's been done, but this is the first time that those two people have been siblings.  Some of these anime have been atrocious (Maid-sama was disappointing considering what it could have been while Nogizaka Haruka is one of the most cynically moe anime I've seen), but others like Karin have been quite enjoyable for what they are.  That's what I'm hoping for with this show, and, just like with Maid-sama and Kimi ni Todoke, a movie format strikes me as more appropriate for the premise we have.  But I can't see any reason to complain about the execution.  There's this underlayer throughout the first half of the episode where the entire world seems to be screaming at Kyousuke "have sex with your sister!"  I particularly enjoyed the dinner scene where there's a cop show playing on the TV in the background constantly saying things like "the culprit is among us" while Kyousuke is trying to figure out who owns the imouto eroge.  It's little things like that which say that whoever's making this show is paying attention to the details.

The irony of it, of course, is that Kirino has a huge collection of imouto ero games which she plays while putting herself into the role of the big brother, not the little sister as most of us would think natural (well, about as natural as could possibly be in this sort of situation).  If she was fantasizing about being the little sister then we could probably safely say that she attracted to Kyousuke, most likely subconsciously, but because that's not the case and she adamantly stresses that she's not getting "2D" and "3D" mixed up, we have to take her at face value at this point.  Now, if this were hentai, we'd all know where this were going, but it's not, and while the romantic ending is the most likely at this point (assuming we get an ending at all), it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't happen, and this entire thing turned out to be an exercise in the two siblings getting to know each other better and coming to understand each other.  I don't think I'd mind that sort of ending.

Whatever the case, I'm not expecting anything particularly deep or profound, but given the opening ep, my expectations are set for something enjoyable at the very least.  Let's hope it doesn't stick around past its used by date.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 02:46:06 AM »
Ep 2
I've never played an eroge, but I find the show to be extremely relate-able. Managing what you love with what society deems socially acceptable is tough. I think it's hilarious that they point out the ridiculous fights that will happen among the social outcasts. As if these two aren't isolated enough.
Well, it's not like Kirino is isolated, but it's pretty clear that this whole life counseling ordeal is about her trying to find acceptance.  And yeah, the way they captured that bizarre feeling of mixed emotions you get after you finish a VN was really well done.  I think it's relateable because you can often get it at the end of an anime as well, except the feeling of accomplishment isn't so extreme (it's not as challenging to watch an anime all the way through, unless that anime is really bad).

I might be in the minority here, but I'm seriously enjoying this show.  It also has this really funny way of inciting a whole heap of awkwardness in Kyousuke about his (obviously attractive) little sister, eg, the omerice with "I love you, Onii-chan" written on it.  And it does these things with immaculate timing.  And yet, despite them, I really can't see an incestuous relationship developing at all.  The way I see it, the closer they become, the less effect these cues the universe constantly drop son Kyousuke that his sister is attractive will have on him.  The whole otaku secret thing is, of course, a plot device to bring the two of them together, but I really think the writers have shown a pretty damn good grasp of the experiences and challenges of being a socially maligned nerd.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11  All   Go Up