Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 10:04:47 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparing Scott Pilgrim to FLCL  (Read 5036 times)

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

Comparing Scott Pilgrim to FLCL
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:38:22 AM »
Once you think about it, the Scott Pilgrim movie is a lot like FLCL. They're both weird as hell. And it's because of their weirdness which makes them so great. Also just like FLCL, it's because of it's weirdness that Scott Pilgrim is a love it or hate it kind of film.

I for one loved Scott Pilgrim. And I think the fact that FLCL is my favorite TV show of all time (aside from the Twilight Zone), and that Scott Pilgrim is now one of my favorite movies, is proof that I have a thing for these "weird-but-amazing" kind of movies.

Anyways, any of you agree with me that Scott Pilgrim is a lot like FLCL?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Comparing Scott Pilgrim to FLCL
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 02:54:12 PM »
I think my biggest problem with this theory is that FLCL's weirdness makes sense within the context of the show's universe whereas Scott Pilgrim's weirdness makes sense only to an audience who have played video games since they were kids.

Anybody could watch FLCL and while they might be weirded out they'd be okay.  They'd figure it out.

I don't think you can say the same for Scott Pilgrim.  Especially my parents, who have never touched a video game in their lives.  They wouldn't get it and would probably leave the theater.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 11:27:30 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I would have to agree with you. Quite a fair amount of the weirdness in it does only make sense if you play video-games.

Of course plenty of people who don't play video-games at all still found the movie helluva awesome. You don't really need to have any understanding for video-games to understand what's going on in the movie. The people who would walk out of the theater saying none of it made any sense whatsoever are most likely the same people who would say the same thing about FLCL.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 11:32:36 PM by Sorrows Neptune »

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 11:44:22 PM »
I admit that the two products share an over-the-top presentation driven by highly unorthodox visuals, but I think they are still very different products from a standpoint of themes and as TIF pointed out, premise.  However, they both do get the emphatic "what the hell am I seeing?" reaction, which does only come once in a blue moon. 

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline d01ph9

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 02:46:01 AM »
Actually I don't watch animated movies and I haven't seen Scott Pilgrim nor FLCL so I am a bit out of place here though after just checking on both, the only similarity I see is that they are both animated films and I can believe that both of them are weird movies because of the improbable situations in both the movies!! I don't like the idea of watching movies based on video games and I don't think I'll ever go for one of those!!
Trade Union

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 03:00:16 AM »
Actually I don't watch animated movies and I haven't seen Scott Pilgrim nor FLCL so I am a bit out of place here though after just checking on both, the only similarity I see is that they are both animated films and I can believe that both of them are weird movies because of the improbable situations in both the movies!! I don't like the idea of watching movies based on video games and I don't think I'll ever go for one of those!!

For one, Scott Pilgrim is not an animated film. It is live-action. And FLCL isn't even a film, it's a 6 episode OVA which totals to about two and a half hours.

Another thing is that Scott Pilgrim isn't based off of video-games. It's more like, most of the many references in the movie is from video-games. You don't actually have to play any video-games to understand what's going on in the movie.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 03:22:15 AM »
SN,

I've been watching every one of this guy's posts and they're all really weird.  I'm not sure if he's just some ESL person who comes off as bizarre or if this is some sort of sophisticated bot that analyzes the thread topic, scouts for relevant info, and puts it together in an almost coherent, though mind****ing, post.

It's the "Trade Union" in his sig that has me buttersmurched.  I don't see any links or anything, and there doesn't seem to be any specific advertising.  I'm not sure on this one.

For the moment, I wouldn't take what "it" says seriously until "it" explains itself.  It could be China hacking the world again.  Wikileaks told me so.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 10:19:42 AM »
Or maybe it's just a...troll.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 10:48:22 PM »
Scott Pilgrim 10/10, and by the way FLCL is coming to Blu Ray in a few weeks. Get it. Support the System.
Pages: [1]   Go Up