Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 18, 2017, 05:56:11 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm considering creating my own review website...  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• SN-chan's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Sorrows Neptune using Skype
    • @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

I'm considering creating my own review website...
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:20:51 PM »
I'm considering somehow getting a team together and making a website to review things. The review website would just have reviews of movies, TV-shows, books, comics, video-games...anything in the entertainment business really.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for how to start this exactly? I'll of course start out small, just having it be a blog on wordpress at first, and hopefully get a few people from my school to join.

I would also use a review system pretty much identical to Nihon Review's. Not to be a copy-cat, but I just really like the rating system it uses. (i.e., 5 = average, and 10 = As good as it gets.) Of course I would understand if you guys prefer I use something else.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: I'm considering creating my own review website...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:39:42 PM »
First piece of advice:  If you're going to half ass it, save yourself the time, effort, and money and don't.  There are already plenty of review websites out there run by self righteous know-it-alls and film school majors who think the world gives a flying fist **** what they think about the TV comedy show Cheers.  Don't go into this thinking you matter.  MAKE yourself matter.  Be better than the rest or don't ****ing bother.

Second piece of advice:  Get people who are serious about helping you, or at least helping themselves.  Both Anime Academy and Nihon Review have been plagued by contributors, myself included, who didn't treat the situation with the seriousness that it deserved.  Find people who really want to write; who really want to review things.  Some people can be motivated simply by the chance to prove their worth.  Some for ego (that's me).  Don't just pick people because you like them or they're your pals.  Those are the ones who will stick it to you worst when you need new content.

Third piece of advice:  Don't be afraid of work.  This is going to take a lot of attention and love.  It's also going to take you a lot of effort to get yourself known amongst the blog-o-spheres.  We've all seen things pop up and disappear before.  So until you prove yourself, you're going to be viewed with skepticism.  You're going to have to earn your spot.

I have more, but I think I used the f-word enough.  Go forth and have fun.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 09:17:54 AM »
Don't just pick people because you like them or they're your pals.  Those are the ones who will stick it to you worst when you need new content.

This is a truism.

If you want to make a review website, at this point in time in the history of the internet, you're going to really have to prove your site's worth if you want any sort of attention. This means providing incredible content while keeping a fresh edge to keep your website unique from the rest. This is a shit ton of work. My recommendation is to go with a blog, which is a much lower maintenance job with similar gains. Blogs are easy to make and update, allowing you to focus on the content instead of the logistics and technology. Especially if it is a project that will wane on you (and it will), you can return to it in full force at any time because of how RSS feeds work. On the other hand, when a small website does not update, it loses its readership and will be completely dead.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 11:10:20 AM »
Thanks for the advice!

So if I end up trying it out, I'll try to update on a regular basis, say, once a week. And I'll of course start it out as a blog. Only if I ever get a significant amount of site traffic will I update it into a full-on website.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:06:57 AM »
There are a million pieces of advice I could give (a lot of them I'd like to go back in time and give to myself).  One of the important things you should do is comment on other people's sites.  It makes people aware that you exist, but also helps you keep up to date with what is topical.  But, I'd say a more important thing is to update regularly.  There are so many good writers out there, who are doing really creative and smart things but aren't getting the attention they deserve simply because they don't update enough.  Good content only gets you so far.  I'm finding more and more that what people want isn't just good content, but good content on a regular basis.

Feel free to use our reviewing format (we don't have a monopoly on it), but you'll get noticed much quicker if you have a unique style.  Also, I'm concerned slightly by the fact that you want to cover such a multitude of topics.  Some people are able to pull it off, but the tendency is that the more focused you are about what you write about, the more people you'll engage on a deeper level.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it.  You've got nothing to lose by trying.

Offline Sorrows Neptune

• @snepchan
    • Anime Is Dead

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 11:14:23 AM »
Also, I'm concerned slightly by the fact that you want to cover such a multitude of topics.  Some people are able to pull it off, but the tendency is that the more focused you are about what you write about, the more people you'll engage on a deeper level.

Yeah your right, I might need to start out with just one topic.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it.  You've got nothing to lose by trying.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 09:05:49 PM »
I suggest finding the owners of all your competitors and one by one track them down and perform a ritual sacrifice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up