Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 07:23:17 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starcraft 2  (Read 6962 times)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Starcraft 2
« on: July 28, 2010, 12:14:55 PM »
Starcraft's sequel is out! And it's got all the hype that comes with it.

I haven't touched multiplayer yet, but the campaign proves to be above average. I'm a few missions in, and I've replayed a few for the achievements, but boy, it took them 12 years to make this? So far, it's only just an entertaining romp. The story is not gripping or fascinating, the environments not enticing and exciting. Perhaps it's just not doing anything new, though it somewhat tries. It's got character. The sensibilities are not too serious, with the humorous news casts, and at times goofy stereotyped characters. What are these guys doing in space?! The original was brilliant because it introduced a lot of great stylistic elements, even the briefing screen gave you goosebumps of awe. Now nothing seems to look very good. Can't they take some hints from Mass Effect 2, the best looking sci-fi game ever made?

I'll give multiplayer a try, which from what I've seen promises to be even smoother and more engaging than the original. If that's possible. Hey, you don't fix it if it's not broken. But 12 years? I'd imagine 12 years is enough time to revolutionize RTS once again.

It's amusing to know that Blizzard's never made a bad game. With every release they were re-crowned, in my mind and in the mind of others, as the holy grail of game design. That's not been in the case in the past five years, and Starcraft 2 is the most obvious sign of an old king dying off. Pave way for BioWare!

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Re: Starcraft 2
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 01:05:55 PM »
I haven't gotten the game yet since I'm busy and don't need a month burned out of my life right now, but I've tried Beta and kept up with the latest talk. 

Starcraft 2 is largely a multiplayer game by design and it's supposed to be flagship for the future of electronic sports now that Brood War has hit its limit in terms of growth.  Considering that the Wall Street Journal reported the production cost of the game to be 100 million dollars, the only way Activision Blizzard is going to make money is by getting a subscription base the size of WOW in Korea, China and the rest of Asia (it's pay as you go playing in most of Asia) plus blockbuster sales of permanent copies across the Western world.

As for the game itself, I can't say much about the single player as I have not played it (though it looks like Brood War with improved graphics); however, multiplayer rocks.  I like how the system Blizzard devised consistently gives me players who are around my skill level since it keeps me from thinking that I suck horribly at the game, but it does suck that after a long winning streak, the game throws me opponents who actually know their builds.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »
Heard that South Korea actually had a public holiday for the debut of Starcraft II.

Man, what have I been missing...?

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 05:13:18 PM »
Heard that South Korea actually had a public holiday for the debut of Starcraft II.

Man, what have I been missing...?
That's nothing.  The last OSL finals of Brood War managed to fill out a significant portion of an airplane hangar

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 10:20:19 AM »
As much as it is a multiplayer game, it is also a story. And Blizzard promised a stronger campaign, hence the many years of re-drafting and delays. Ultimately it disappoints. I'm much further in the missions now and nothing's really changed the campaign's feel as a one-trick pony: every mission gets a new unit, everyone mission has a gameplay gimmick, and every mission has one main objective and one or two simple side objectives. Yes there's something new every half hour, but it does not ease the dread of the humdrum RTS grind. Maybe I am being too critical, but there is a disconnect when you have to play on at least Hard for even a remote challenge, and that challenge usually culminates to building more structures, building more units, and building them all a little faster.

The news that Blizzard spent $100 million is not true. WSJ meant World of Warcraft. And that is likely for the whole franchise including both expansions. I can't imagine this game being even $20 million. It doesn't look, or play, like it.

Also the subscription plans in continents like South America, Asia, etc. are alternate paying plans. Blizzard wanted the game to be more accessible quicker, which is brilliant. This allows developing countries to buy the game for half the price or less, and play for 6 months. After 6 months, they are to pay a fee to continue, or they can pay the rest of the $60 USD for unlimited play. I don't know if Blizzard would enact an actual subscription, even in Korea where this game is so dear to the people. It would be quite a PR nightmare.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 02:02:06 PM »
The news that Blizzard spent $100 million is not true. WSJ meant World of Warcraft. And that is likely for the whole franchise including both expansions. I can't imagine this game being even $20 million. It doesn't look, or play, like it.

For a second there I thought Blizzard was charging Activision for a 12 year supply of $1000 cognacs.  Might as well since the businessfolk there are inclined to fire entire production teams after a project is done.

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 11:09:53 AM »
This game has DESTROYED all of my time!

I've been playing multiplayer pretty much all day every day since it came out. It's sooo much funnnn.

Anyone wanna vs. me? My username is bluecheez. Oh, and yeah the campaign isn't great but this is Starcraft not FFXXX.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 01:13:33 PM »
Oh, and yeah the campaign isn't great but this is Starcraft not FFXXX.

I disagree with this notion.  Blizzard has been known for creating interesting storylines out of all it's franchises.  Starcraft had an invigorating story with fascinating characters (one of which, at least, was a carbon copy of Sylvanas Windrunner) and while the multiplayer is what inevitably took over and made Starcraft the huge franchise it is, the game itself had a better story than any other RTS on the market that wasn't ALSO done by Blizzard.

I mean, was C&C's story that interesting?  Red Alert tried...
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline bluecheez

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 02:03:53 PM »
Oh, and yeah the campaign isn't great but this is Starcraft not FFXXX.

I disagree with this notion.  Blizzard has been known for creating interesting storylines out of all it's franchises.  Starcraft had an invigorating story with fascinating characters (one of which, at least, was a carbon copy of Sylvanas Windrunner) and while the multiplayer is what inevitably took over and made Starcraft the huge franchise it is, the game itself had a better story than any other RTS on the market that wasn't ALSO done by Blizzard.

I mean, was C&C's story that interesting?  Red Alert tried...

Alright, that's fine. I've never heard of anyone buying starcraft for the story and character development, but if that's what you look for in your RTS'es, good for you. Personally, I'm really surprised how seriously everyone is taking the campaign.   

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 06:36:33 PM »
Well, if the campaign should not be taken seriously, why is Blizzard releasing three versions, each with around 30 missions. That's 90 missions for one RTS game. That's never been done before. Blizzard is asking to be judged by certain standards, and people should gladly take up that request. And if the multiplayer is the only thing that matters to an RTS like Starcraft, then I am thoroughly confused why there are not more complaints: this is Starcraft 1 in HD. There are a few new mechanics and units, but it's still only a makeover and not an evolution. It's only Blizzard that can get away with recycling. Admittedly they are major innovators recycling their own well-tested ideas, but it does not change the fact that in the past few years they've only aimed to appeal. Diablo 1 through 3 has the same gameplay, same camera, same randomization, and probably the same itemization. World of Warcraft is based on the notion of repetition and recycling (truthfully the Warcraft franchise is Blizzard's most dynamic). But most other companies want to reinvent each sequel. Take Mass Effect's franchise. Command and Conquer. Final Fantasy.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 02:28:34 AM »
I guess I'm in the campaign camp as well, since I got into sc, diablo2 and wc3 for story. Never really got into battlenet for those games, mostly because I didn't like getting owned (except dota, and I think wc3 was a huge step forward from sc not as a rts, but as a platform for many interesting custom games, its map editor pwned), and things like leveling up/collecting items in diablo/wow never appealed to me. I hear that the new campaigns aren't as good as the old one which is a huge shame.

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 11:31:45 AM »
Hardware/Software question. Is this the type of game that requires a CD/DVD at all times like the original, or one where the game is installed directly onto the hard drive like most modern games?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:38:49 AM by Kavik Ryx »

Offline DrIdiot

• DrIdiot's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 12:23:57 PM »
I think it would be absurd if it required a CD all the time.

Also, there is a digital download option (http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/launch?ref=/sc2/), so I think you don't need a CD in the drive to play.

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
Actually (considering how poorly my shitty ass laptop runs everything directly from the hard drive) I prefer games that are read from the CD/DVD rather than the internal hard disc. Good god I need a desktop.

Offline DrIdiot

• DrIdiot's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 01:28:25 PM »
Actually (considering how poorly my shitty ass laptop runs everything directly from the hard drive) I prefer games that are read from the CD/DVD rather than the internal hard disc. Good god I need a desktop.

Hmm... it shouldn't matter that much.  Try a few things.
1) If you're using Windows, drive fragmentation.  Run a defragmenter and it might get better.
2) It may be too full.  Drives should have something like 10-20% free space.
3) It may be failing.  If it is a recent enough drive, you can usually get its SMART data and see if that says anything (bad sectors, etc.)  Otherwise, try doing a fsck... or whatever the Windows equivalent is.

You can also usually replace laptop hard drives.  Often it's not worth it though, since your laptop might not live much longer than your hard drive anyway.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »

Why would you prefer that?  The game would be slow as dirt.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 06:14:45 PM »
Catch the best review on Starcraft 2. It's fair. It's right. It's honest. The guy loves the game but gave it an above average score, which it correctly deserves. He's the lone wolf among a pack of brain-washed silly video gamers.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 08:57:56 PM »
Campaign finished.

Good god that last mission kicked my ass so hard. I almost chickened out and played it on Normal. Ha! It was a proud moment defending to the last unit as I ticked in at 100%! I had to micro four different places constantly. I probably would have to micro seven or eight on Brutal. I am just not made for this RTS stuff. At least Blizzard's brand of RTS.

Well it's no surprise if you've been reading up on the game that the ending is pulp writing - anyone could have done it with their ball sack and some ink. The story and characters are a mess and the ending gave no surprise because it made little sense. I can't believe Blizzard nearly trashed a cool character like Tychus. Trust me, all the cinematics are incredible (the HD, CGI rendered ones). But you shouldn't, or at least I didn't, get Avatar'ed. Don't play this game for its story.

But do look forward to the ending song, which plays in the middle of the credits. It's a fistful of awesome badness that jives to the quirky, cartoony style of Blizzard games. 

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 03:32:15 PM »
So, I caved, got the game and beat it.

Aside from the last mission, it was surprisingly easy even on Hard mode.  The story was typical Hollywood-esque material and the game-play lacked any moment of greatness.  I feel bad for anyone who tries to jump onto multiplayer thinking it's anything like the Campaign, but for me, it's the selling point of the game.  I'm probably going to be on and off SC2's multiplayer for the next 10 years.   

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up