Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 11, 2017, 12:29:41 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Nurarihyon no Mago  (Read 13182 times)

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Nurarihyon no Mago
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 04:50:44 AM »
15:

No wonder Rikuo doesn't win any favors from the ExCo: he doesn't really know how to make his presence felt. A pipsqueak like him doesn't have the presence of a leader, and it makes me wonder if those demons who support him are doing so simply because he is Nurarihyon's grandson, or because they really think he has leadership qualities.

Shouei and a few other demons went against Rikuo's orders to stand down (and getting their main house roasted in the process), and what did Rikuo do to punish them? Nothing. Rikuo's being too kind for his own good, I have to say.

I don't get Rikuo's friends; just what are they in the show for? What is Kana's purpose in the show, anyway? To be Rikuo's sympathizer/damsel in distress? Is Yura never going to be more than just a lone ranger by the sidelines? Seriously, this show hasn't gone that far since it started.

Ho hum, anti-climatic fight that gets resolved ala deus ex machina. Judging from the preview of the next episode and how this episode went, it's going to be a huge war split into episodic one-on-ones. I don't understand why this approach is taken; if anything, it only makes things more anti-climatic.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 05:48:10 AM »
16:

Everything I predicted, it took place. The one-on-one fight, Yura's vain attempt to fight against demons, everything. But there's one major problem with this episode...

...how come NOBODY - Aotabou and Kurotabou being the biggest culprits - recognizes Kagibari-Onna when she was first seen at that restaurant? Didn't Rikuo's clan got a good look at all the Seven Pilgrims when they had a "formal" intro at the main entrance? Really, nobody?

This is just bad. Not to mention how underwhelming the fights are, this is just one boring show. It's really testing my patience.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 05:54:25 AM »
17:

I feel like I'm echoing my previous posts. The catch this time is, the villains' objective is finally revealed but the problem still remains: the episode still follows the same structure. The characters are playing the same roles - Rikuo's friends still don't do anything substantial, Rikuo is still playing safe, etc. - and I groaned at how the episode still ends with villains-retreat trope. This show just doesn't dare to do anything bold for once.

Worse, it looks like we are expecting a filler episode next for God knows what.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 07:43:31 AM »
18:

Yet another lukewarm episode, this time centering on a character that the show never bothered to decently explore in the first place.

When Natsumi bumped into Kuro, didn't Kuro's unusual attire make Natsumi curious one bit? I wonder why.

Nurarihyon no Mago really seems to suck at making good action scenes. This one's so simple that it wasn't even an even fight. This raises something worth pointing out: are we gonna see the next episodes dealing with Tanazuki's cronies getting killed one by one? It's been happening since last episode already.

I certainly didn't expect a moe Tochigami. Not in this show.

What I find particularly disappointing about this episode, is how it feels like a poor rehash of one of Natsume Yuujinchou's episodes. Yuujinchou was a great series because it knows how to tell a sentimental story like the band of the hand, but in Nurarihyon's case, it's diluted. No buildup, no sense of sadness/gladness, no nothing. It actually made me want to rewatch Yuujinchou instead.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 07:19:15 AM »
19 & 20:

It's becoming more and more of a chore getting through even one episode of this show.

I still hate Rikuo's friends. They're more of a liability than help to Rikuo, especially when their continuous hunt for demons is what keeps landing them into trouble. The so-called leader Kiyotsugu's antics are just painful to watch and he never says anything interesting (I just think he sucks), Kana hasn't taken an active role even once and Yura is still the lone ranger (I'm practically echoing myself here). In short, it's just a drag to even watch them anymore.

One of the biggest problems about this show is the lack characterization. We have this huge number of characters in this show, but I hardly know or can relate to any of them. The only character that went through decent characterization is probably Gyuuki (whom his arc is possibly the highest point of the show, albeit not that high per se). What gives? In fact, apart from Gyuuki, I'm not even sure if this show knows how to do characterization.

Take Inugami for instance. Inugami is right at one thing: Rikuo has been a pussy all this time. I still don't have any reason to respect him as a person, let alone a demon leader. He keeps getting protected by those around him more often than he grabs the opportunity to showcase why he is the leader anyway, so Inugami is quite spot-on. But Inugami's background is just poorly handled. I don't emphatize him one bit, and his sore-loser emo cries just gets under my skin. In the end, I simply hate the both of them.

And **** it, for a shounen show, even the fights are goddamn boring. Coupled with enemies retreating at the end of every episode and the Villain of the Week trope, this show has grown weary on me.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 06:45:56 AM »
21:

I swear that this isn't the first time he says something like this. As a viewer, I can't help but be tired and even skeptical about it. The only reason why I think he's for real is, well, there are only 2-3 episodes left in this series. Rikuo hasn't been able to gain my respect both as a demon leader and even as a character because, even he knows it, he's been a coward all this time and there isn't many redeeming qualities about him. I don't even feel a hint of the charisma that his clan claims he exudes. And it's frustrating that I have to wait up to 22 episodes for him to simply come to a decision to just for the offensive for once.

Finally, it's amazing to see that Rikuo's human friends haven't done anything different ever since this show started. Why are they still excess baggage here? Is it even necessary for them to be in this show at all?

22:

What's this? They still haven't gone out and have a slugfest against the villains!? And to think they're just about to move out in the previous episode. This show is progressing way too sluggishly for its own good. I just feel that Rikuo's actions are based purely on how many of his comrades have to get injured first before he does anything.

The Demon's Lord Gavel looks just like one of those cheesy weapons taken from Inuyasha's arsenal. A sword that gets more powerful as it is used to kill demons? More importantly, I'm a little confused over Tamazuki's agenda. If he's just mad for power, which is obvious and easily understood enough, then why is he commenting his hatred towards humans? He's becoming just like Naraku in Inuyasha: Final Act, where a badass villain receives a last-ditch effort to empathize his character.

This episode makes me hate Kana even more, because she's been a useless and passive character throughout the whole show. Why introduce a character who, come to think, doesn't know anything about Nurarihyon even when they've met before? I thought that their relationship would develop after their first meeting, but where did that go? I don't even want to talk too much about Yura: she's still stuck as the lone ranger.

Dear Studio Deen, please knock it off with the "let's go to fight" wastes of time, and just bring on the effin' showdown already~

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 06:00:57 AM »
23:

Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to watch the slugfest? It's mainly because there's more talk than flying punches. This show completely fails, especially as a shounen series. Any tension the fight builds up is drained away by the draggy dialogue and trash talking. And it got worse with the whole one-two between Yuki-Onna and Rikuo-Nura.

Great, Yuura and Kana literally sat out of the whole action. How appropriate for characters who have really nothing but be at the sidelines.

Offline miroku2192

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 10:26:34 PM »
I am quite disappointed with the way this series has turned out to be. I mean it has what, one more episode to redeem itself? I'm going to go ahead and say...not happening.

I thought this series had much more potential and was quite excited when I saw the first 15 SECONDS of episode 1. As soon as I heard and saw Mr. middle school boy, I was a little bit worried, but figured I'd give it a few more episodes before I say anything. And I kept giving it a few more episodes...and a few more...and a few more. And now we are at episode 23 and I'm quite pissed.

So theres what, 1 or 2 more episodes left?

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 10:31:48 PM »
*GASP* another lifeform in this thread. I'm not alone anymore.

Offline miroku2192

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 10:42:04 PM »
*GASP* another lifeform in this thread. I'm not alone anymore.

Yeah no kidding. For a second I thought this thread was reserved for you only to bash nurarihyon no mago since you posted a tid-bit for each episode. I'm surprised more people aren't contributing (aka shit-talking).

Offline miroku2192

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 08:30:46 AM »
oh NOOOO:

According to Weekly Shonen Jump, Nurarihyon no Mago will be having a second season!

OH boy they better impress me.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 08:51:11 AM »
Don't kid yourself.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 06:56:54 AM »
24:

An episode about fear versus charisma, both of which I can't feel one bit from this show. Oh, and Kana proves once again that she's a liability. If I were Rikuo-Nura, I'd be pissed at her being the human hostage.

Hurry up with the final episode so that I can start reviewing this and say how boring this show has been.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 07:36:24 AM »
25 (final?):

A DEM for a final episode. Pfft.

Can anyone tell me if the final episode is episode 25 or 26? ANN made a bad call by thinking that it's only 24 episodes long.

edit:

Okay, now I get the word that episode 26 is actually a recap episode, which is a second in this show. Does this make Nurarihyon no Mago a 25-episode or 26-episode series?

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 07:29:14 AM »
Season 2. Not like I ask for one.

1:

This program is proudly brought to you by GATSBY. When your hair doesn't stay in place, use GATSBY.

Seriously, this is a pathetic start to a new season and I'll tell you why: the episode is only interesting for the first one mimnute. At least it sets the overarching plot early in the series, so I can anticipate what kind of agenda we have on our plate. Then, the rest of the episode wastes time showing the gang back when they were kids, and more importantly, how Rikuo is not just a wiener but how he has always been one. And to make it more unbelievable and frustrating, this wiener turns into a cocky leader in a second. Yeah, it's like seeing Clark Kent becoming Superman, with the former not being just a show but a distinctive identity in itself.

The boring shit of the season.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up