Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 13, 2017, 12:28:07 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nurarihyon no Mago  (Read 13196 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Nurarihyon no Mago
« on: July 26, 2010, 07:54:52 PM »
3:

For a disappointing season, I would call this show "above decent". It looks like Natsume, but it doesn't feel like it. However, it doesn't necessarily make this show inferior. Feeling more shounen than iyashikei, this show doesn't feel like it's all about action or mystery. I can actually sense the genuinity in the friendship between Rikuo and his gang.

You guys can go ahead and try this show. It's a breath of fresh air for a dull season.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Nurarihyon no Mago
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 08:22:13 PM »
4:

It's apparently becoming a shounen show, albeit not a full-blown one. It's not a bad thing per se, but I'm afraid it's not that good either. Even the fights are bland, and the "Name that Move" gag isn't doing anyone any favor. The contention of the clans itself is the more important issue here, so shounen fights are expected. At least, it's not all stupid angsty shounen stuff that's plaguing the genre.

An okay episode, but Rikuo's character isn't giving me good signs. This episode shows how naive and foolish he can be, and that's why I worry that his relationship with his Night form becomes too one-sided. If he keeps turning to his Night form every time he's in a pinch, it's gonna get predictable. If this show can be better, Rikuo needs to have balls very soon. I know that lack of self-confidence from Rikuo is to be expected since he doesn't want to be the Third Heir, but his cowardice will get under my skin if he continues to be like this.

And I hope this show solves some unanswered questions soon. I still have no idea why his human mother married a powerful demon in the first place. I certainly won't accept that this is just the basis of the show by the writers.  

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 07:33:47 AM »
5:

Seems like this show is more plot-driven rather than character-driven. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing or anything, but for a 24-episode show featuring many characters that are here to stay (except for the villains perhaps), the plot can only do so much. The fact that Gyuki is behind all this isn't that surprising either; I could've guessed quite easily.

The show is giving strong signs of predictability since it's basically rival clans going out there to prevent Rikuo from being the Third Heir. The Patrol itself is a mixed bag; the focus is more on Kana, Tsurara and Yura (save the titular character) while the others are just being annoying extras, especially the leader. Moving along to Rikuo's clan, the number of youkai is big and they're only there to help Rikuo and play second fiddle to him.

I don't know if introducing such a big cast is a good idea, simply put. The number of characters is one thing, but characterization is another. This show needs characterization and explaining to do for unanswered questions. Some pressing questions need to be answered soon; in particular, why Rikuo's clan came about as the most powerful clan, why Nurarihyon married a human, etc.

Apparently, I opened a thread just to talk to myself. Seems like nobody else is watching this ( - -)

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 01:25:13 PM »
Apparently, I opened a thread just to talk to myself. Seems like nobody else is watching this ( - -)
Hey, I almost had a monologue going with my Bokurano thread.  I would join you in watching this, but I didn't like the first episode.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 04:21:58 PM »
monologues are totally worth it if u ask me. teaches u about urself. like masturbating.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 07:23:43 PM »
Hey, I almost had a monologue going with my Bokurano thread.  I would join you in watching this, but I didn't like the first episode.
The first episode is okay to me, but Rikuo's cowardice can be a little irritating. I'm just being patient because this show can go in just about any direction even by the 5th episode.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 05:55:44 AM »
And so, my monologue thread continues.

6:

Now six episodes into the show, I'm starting to question the purpose of Rikuo's friends' presence in the show. Rather than being worthy characters, they seem to play the role of liability chess pieces (not a good thing). The group's three female leads' agenda remain (and may continue to remain) the same: Tsurara remains to protect Rikuo, Yura remains to exorcise spirits and Kana remains to play the inactive role of Rikuo's latent admirer.

I have to admit one thing: Although this show hasn't done anything grossly wrong, it hasn't done anything hardly interesting either. The fact that the hot spring scene featured towel-covered girls shows that there isn't any ecchi to be expected (a little ironic since ecchi doesn't always make a show better, I know), and the comedy feels underwhelming because of the consistently serious tone. Lastly, the seemingly Monster of the Week theme isn't making this show refreshing to watch.

But if there's one thing that's making me stay on with this show, it's Rikuo having the balls to stand up and fight this time. Whether Rikuo has become a ballsy protagonist is yet to be confirmed but at least, it's a start.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 04:27:54 PM »
Sorry, not watching this one or I'd comment.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 07:41:39 AM »
7:

I'll be cutting some slack over Rikuo and give him more time to see if he's indeed a worthy protagonist. He has been a little whiny for the first few episodes but now, he's gradually opening up to his demon alter-ego and accepting his responsiblity as the Supreme Commander. His fight isn't that spectacular but even with a shounen element such as name-that-move cliche and its predictable outcome, the action isn't as gratuitous as the average shounen show... and this is good to me. Plus, I know that the focus isn't the fight itself, but the reason behind the attack on Rikuo. So I'm not that peeved. I don't know about the other right at the hot spring; that one just looks like deus ex machina.

I don't know how long this Yura's "Who's-that-demon?" subplot is gonna continue. Personally, I don't want to develop all the way to 24 episodes; rather, I wish she finds out around halfway through the show and somehow reaches a truce with Rikuo. Seriously, it's just too obvious on Yura's part that the Supreme Commander is indeed Rikuo and for her to find that out only towards the end of the series will make the viewers very weary.

Right now, I'm most interested in Gyuuki. He doesn't seem like the average punk villain that gets defeated easily. Rather, there's some history about his past and his relationship with Rikuo. He wants Rikuo dead, but he seems different from your usual power-hungry adversary. Of course, the fact that Jouji Nakata is voicing the character makes it all the more watchable. Nakata just knows how to make his characters work.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 09:59:39 PM »
8~9:

So Gyuki doesn't turn out to be a traitor. Ironically, his treacherous ways are actually the result of his pure loyalty to the clan and his vehement hatred towards humans. A former human who had all kinds of shit thrown at him, thereby making him turn into a demon, and then run into Nurarihyon and becoming his ally. Jouji Nakata's characters are always justified no matter how you see it.

But then, this issue creates a few other questions:

- Gyuuki met Nurarihyon ages ago, and presumably, the Nurarihyon back then is Rikuo's grandfather or father. Something's amiss: If Nurarihyon is a hereditary demon that's passed down from generation to generation, was that long-headed demonic father of Rikuo also Nurarihyon at some point? How does one qualify to possess the blood of Nurarihyon? I can swear that Rikuo's dad is a demon, so how could there be two demons in one body?

- The issue above also made ask another perpetual question: Why did Rikuo's father marry a human being (i.e. Rikuo's human mother)? Isn't this something that Gyuuki should be outraged about? If Rikuo's dad had never married a human being, this whole "impure" supreme commander problem wouldn't have surfaced in the first place.

- Why was the Snow Lady looked an adult in the past, and a kid in the present? Was the past Snow Lady the present Snow Lady's mother?

I like how Gyuuki is a worthy character, but his background story raises a number of problems. I hope they get resolved soon, or I'll start to accuse that it's lazy writing on the writer's part. Also, I hope that Kana gets a more active role instead of merely being the damsel in distress.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 04:02:52 AM »
10:

Quite the predictable episode I was expecting to see, but I was a little surprised by how easy the whole Mirror Demon complication was resolved, almost to the point that it felt like a copout. In fact, this has led me to think that the Mirror Demon subplot is a red herring, and the main point of the episode is Kana's establishing relationship with Nurarihyon (oh yeah, speaking of Kana, I had no idea these kids are basically middle school students).

Kana still remains to be the damsel in distress, and I don't know if the complication that arises from her potential crush on Nurarihyon would really make good entertainment. I wasn't that surprised Kana thought that Rikuo and Nurarihyon are good friends either, since it's somewhat expected.

And we have a sneak peek at the Monster of the Week for the next episode, and I'm not that enthusiastic at how this show is using the hackneyed storytelling.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 08:45:59 AM »
11:

It's still following the Monster of the Week narrative style (well, not per week to be precise) and although it may be interesting to see what kind of villain we have, the narrative style is still trite. On a higher level of view, it seems to have been the case of Nurarihyon Clan VS rival clans. From the looks of things, this shall the case all the way to the end of the episode. And I'm not gonna particularly like this.

And Yura seems to be getting into trouble with rival clans a few times already, either because of her determination to demonstrate her powers or because of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Not sure if this is necessarily a bad thing but if I see a pattern, predictability is bound to happen.

Why does Natto Boy seem to be wandering around town as if nobody can see him? Rikuo's extra bodyguards are taking precautionary measures to blend with society, so why the exception for Natto Boy's case? I can let the case of Grandfather and his large head slide, but not for Natto Boy which is too obvious to ignore. Seems like a major flaw to me here...

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 06:47:44 AM »
12:

Nothing amazing happening here. I saw the wind demon being defeated since last week and anticipated the love triangle between Rikuo, Kana and Snow Girl, anyway. This episode is just too pedestrian for any in-depth discussion, and I'm expecting a lot more background in the next episode.

And Kana's inactive role is really wearing me down. Is her purpose in the show nothing more than being the damsel in distress?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 06:16:33 AM by AC »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 06:19:25 AM »
13:

Bah, **** this recap episode. Since the previous episode, I've been anticipating the next villain (which isn't anything special per se). But what I get is a rehash of the Gyuuki arc; no new scenes, no unrevealed information, nothing. Man, even the pressing questions about this show are still unexplained. What gives?

This episode wasted half an hour of my life. I just don't understand the purpose of mid-way recaps, especially when the story is still fresh on the viewers' minds.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 04:11:40 AM »
Finally, I have time to catch up on this show (alone :<)

14:

Me don't like the new OP because it's not that catchy. Boo.

So the plot cogwheel turns, and Rikuo is faced with the biggest villains yet. Frankly, although it's more climatic, it's no different from the past villains who had basically shared the same motive of getting rid of the clan.

In fact, nothing really changes: Kana is still not taking an active role, Rikuo's human friends are no more than extras who do... well, NOTHING. Even their humor is nothing remotely funny; they're just... THERE.

What is it with Akira Ishida voicing menacing villains? We have him as the head of the Kiraboshi in Star Driver, and now this too? I don't know if I like his villainy characters; seems like he's the Kugimiya of bishie villains.

And I'm thankful that this is not a show I'm marathoning. Watching one episode itself makes me weary for some reason; maybe the slow pace isn't really helping anyone.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 04:50:44 AM »
15:

No wonder Rikuo doesn't win any favors from the ExCo: he doesn't really know how to make his presence felt. A pipsqueak like him doesn't have the presence of a leader, and it makes me wonder if those demons who support him are doing so simply because he is Nurarihyon's grandson, or because they really think he has leadership qualities.

Shouei and a few other demons went against Rikuo's orders to stand down (and getting their main house roasted in the process), and what did Rikuo do to punish them? Nothing. Rikuo's being too kind for his own good, I have to say.

I don't get Rikuo's friends; just what are they in the show for? What is Kana's purpose in the show, anyway? To be Rikuo's sympathizer/damsel in distress? Is Yura never going to be more than just a lone ranger by the sidelines? Seriously, this show hasn't gone that far since it started.

Ho hum, anti-climatic fight that gets resolved ala deus ex machina. Judging from the preview of the next episode and how this episode went, it's going to be a huge war split into episodic one-on-ones. I don't understand why this approach is taken; if anything, it only makes things more anti-climatic.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 05:48:10 AM »
16:

Everything I predicted, it took place. The one-on-one fight, Yura's vain attempt to fight against demons, everything. But there's one major problem with this episode...

...how come NOBODY - Aotabou and Kurotabou being the biggest culprits - recognizes Kagibari-Onna when she was first seen at that restaurant? Didn't Rikuo's clan got a good look at all the Seven Pilgrims when they had a "formal" intro at the main entrance? Really, nobody?

This is just bad. Not to mention how underwhelming the fights are, this is just one boring show. It's really testing my patience.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 05:54:25 AM »
17:

I feel like I'm echoing my previous posts. The catch this time is, the villains' objective is finally revealed but the problem still remains: the episode still follows the same structure. The characters are playing the same roles - Rikuo's friends still don't do anything substantial, Rikuo is still playing safe, etc. - and I groaned at how the episode still ends with villains-retreat trope. This show just doesn't dare to do anything bold for once.

Worse, it looks like we are expecting a filler episode next for God knows what.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 07:43:31 AM »
18:

Yet another lukewarm episode, this time centering on a character that the show never bothered to decently explore in the first place.

When Natsumi bumped into Kuro, didn't Kuro's unusual attire make Natsumi curious one bit? I wonder why.

Nurarihyon no Mago really seems to suck at making good action scenes. This one's so simple that it wasn't even an even fight. This raises something worth pointing out: are we gonna see the next episodes dealing with Tanazuki's cronies getting killed one by one? It's been happening since last episode already.

I certainly didn't expect a moe Tochigami. Not in this show.

What I find particularly disappointing about this episode, is how it feels like a poor rehash of one of Natsume Yuujinchou's episodes. Yuujinchou was a great series because it knows how to tell a sentimental story like the band of the hand, but in Nurarihyon's case, it's diluted. No buildup, no sense of sadness/gladness, no nothing. It actually made me want to rewatch Yuujinchou instead.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 07:19:15 AM »
19 & 20:

It's becoming more and more of a chore getting through even one episode of this show.

I still hate Rikuo's friends. They're more of a liability than help to Rikuo, especially when their continuous hunt for demons is what keeps landing them into trouble. The so-called leader Kiyotsugu's antics are just painful to watch and he never says anything interesting (I just think he sucks), Kana hasn't taken an active role even once and Yura is still the lone ranger (I'm practically echoing myself here). In short, it's just a drag to even watch them anymore.

One of the biggest problems about this show is the lack characterization. We have this huge number of characters in this show, but I hardly know or can relate to any of them. The only character that went through decent characterization is probably Gyuuki (whom his arc is possibly the highest point of the show, albeit not that high per se). What gives? In fact, apart from Gyuuki, I'm not even sure if this show knows how to do characterization.

Take Inugami for instance. Inugami is right at one thing: Rikuo has been a pussy all this time. I still don't have any reason to respect him as a person, let alone a demon leader. He keeps getting protected by those around him more often than he grabs the opportunity to showcase why he is the leader anyway, so Inugami is quite spot-on. But Inugami's background is just poorly handled. I don't emphatize him one bit, and his sore-loser emo cries just gets under my skin. In the end, I simply hate the both of them.

And **** it, for a shounen show, even the fights are goddamn boring. Coupled with enemies retreating at the end of every episode and the Villain of the Week trope, this show has grown weary on me.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 06:45:56 AM »
21:

I swear that this isn't the first time he says something like this. As a viewer, I can't help but be tired and even skeptical about it. The only reason why I think he's for real is, well, there are only 2-3 episodes left in this series. Rikuo hasn't been able to gain my respect both as a demon leader and even as a character because, even he knows it, he's been a coward all this time and there isn't many redeeming qualities about him. I don't even feel a hint of the charisma that his clan claims he exudes. And it's frustrating that I have to wait up to 22 episodes for him to simply come to a decision to just for the offensive for once.

Finally, it's amazing to see that Rikuo's human friends haven't done anything different ever since this show started. Why are they still excess baggage here? Is it even necessary for them to be in this show at all?

22:

What's this? They still haven't gone out and have a slugfest against the villains!? And to think they're just about to move out in the previous episode. This show is progressing way too sluggishly for its own good. I just feel that Rikuo's actions are based purely on how many of his comrades have to get injured first before he does anything.

The Demon's Lord Gavel looks just like one of those cheesy weapons taken from Inuyasha's arsenal. A sword that gets more powerful as it is used to kill demons? More importantly, I'm a little confused over Tamazuki's agenda. If he's just mad for power, which is obvious and easily understood enough, then why is he commenting his hatred towards humans? He's becoming just like Naraku in Inuyasha: Final Act, where a badass villain receives a last-ditch effort to empathize his character.

This episode makes me hate Kana even more, because she's been a useless and passive character throughout the whole show. Why introduce a character who, come to think, doesn't know anything about Nurarihyon even when they've met before? I thought that their relationship would develop after their first meeting, but where did that go? I don't even want to talk too much about Yura: she's still stuck as the lone ranger.

Dear Studio Deen, please knock it off with the "let's go to fight" wastes of time, and just bring on the effin' showdown already~

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 06:00:57 AM »
23:

Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to watch the slugfest? It's mainly because there's more talk than flying punches. This show completely fails, especially as a shounen series. Any tension the fight builds up is drained away by the draggy dialogue and trash talking. And it got worse with the whole one-two between Yuki-Onna and Rikuo-Nura.

Great, Yuura and Kana literally sat out of the whole action. How appropriate for characters who have really nothing but be at the sidelines.

Offline miroku2192

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 10:26:34 PM »
I am quite disappointed with the way this series has turned out to be. I mean it has what, one more episode to redeem itself? I'm going to go ahead and say...not happening.

I thought this series had much more potential and was quite excited when I saw the first 15 SECONDS of episode 1. As soon as I heard and saw Mr. middle school boy, I was a little bit worried, but figured I'd give it a few more episodes before I say anything. And I kept giving it a few more episodes...and a few more...and a few more. And now we are at episode 23 and I'm quite pissed.

So theres what, 1 or 2 more episodes left?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 10:31:48 PM »
*GASP* another lifeform in this thread. I'm not alone anymore.

Offline miroku2192

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 10:42:04 PM »
*GASP* another lifeform in this thread. I'm not alone anymore.

Yeah no kidding. For a second I thought this thread was reserved for you only to bash nurarihyon no mago since you posted a tid-bit for each episode. I'm surprised more people aren't contributing (aka shit-talking).

Offline miroku2192

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 08:30:46 AM »
oh NOOOO:

According to Weekly Shonen Jump, Nurarihyon no Mago will be having a second season!

OH boy they better impress me.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 08:51:11 AM »
Don't kid yourself.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 06:56:54 AM »
24:

An episode about fear versus charisma, both of which I can't feel one bit from this show. Oh, and Kana proves once again that she's a liability. If I were Rikuo-Nura, I'd be pissed at her being the human hostage.

Hurry up with the final episode so that I can start reviewing this and say how boring this show has been.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 07:36:24 AM »
25 (final?):

A DEM for a final episode. Pfft.

Can anyone tell me if the final episode is episode 25 or 26? ANN made a bad call by thinking that it's only 24 episodes long.

edit:

Okay, now I get the word that episode 26 is actually a recap episode, which is a second in this show. Does this make Nurarihyon no Mago a 25-episode or 26-episode series?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 07:29:14 AM »
Season 2. Not like I ask for one.

1:

This program is proudly brought to you by GATSBY. When your hair doesn't stay in place, use GATSBY.

Seriously, this is a pathetic start to a new season and I'll tell you why: the episode is only interesting for the first one mimnute. At least it sets the overarching plot early in the series, so I can anticipate what kind of agenda we have on our plate. Then, the rest of the episode wastes time showing the gang back when they were kids, and more importantly, how Rikuo is not just a wiener but how he has always been one. And to make it more unbelievable and frustrating, this wiener turns into a cocky leader in a second. Yeah, it's like seeing Clark Kent becoming Superman, with the former not being just a show but a distinctive identity in itself.

The boring shit of the season.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 11:47:19 PM »
2:

Hogart's right. Maybe this show is taking a step in the right direction.

I agree with him when he says that the show (or at least, the second episode) feels different this time round. The atmosphere has become considerably and deliciously darker and the fight scenes look and feel way better. And for once, the story MOVES. Not at snail pace that the whole of first season did, but move at a rate that I can vouch for.

But the first season has done way too much damage for one episode to fix. There are still a number of issues that can be addressed, like Rikuo's character, characterization for the bloated cast, and Yura's role in the show. I hope that this episode isn't an isolated case and that this show is really gonna be better, and Sennen Makyou really makes me take back what I said before (i.e. "The boring shit of the season.")

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 04:29:58 AM »
3:

Ah buggers.

Rikuo's fight against Yura's brother is reminiscent of that memorable fight between Kenshin and Saitou: just when the fight is getting juicier, it ends with an anti-climatic conclusion. Yes, and it had my mouth foaming. It looks like this show is stepping in the right direction. Yes, it may be clichéd with the whole "Name-That-Move" thing that's synonymous with shounen shows and the same goes for the overarching plot (i.e. the whole "powerful-villain-broke-out-of-maximum-prison-and-ready-screw-everyone-and-everything" storyline), but it's still better than all the fluff and garbage I had to put up with in the first season.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 08:43:09 PM »
4:

The story is now focusing on the origins of Nurarihyon and the show's main antagonist, which is what I've been looking forward to. It seems that the story is more plot-driven, the pacing is more brisk and more streamlined than the first season, which is most definitely a step towards the right direction. No more annoying and frilly Rikuo and Co.'s paranormal hunting and such; it's purely concentrating on the important stuff such as character exploration (of the people that MATTERS) and story development. And now, I'm glad to see what's the connection between Yura and her clan, and Nurarihyon.

Right now, I think I've asked this before but why the difference in characters compared to the present? The Keicho Era's Yuki Onna, or Setsura, is clearly not the same as the present Yuki-Onna, and a number of Nurarihyon's clan members seem to be different. Are they the predecessors of the present characters i.e. their grandmothers/grandfathers? If they are, then why are some of the so-called "old generation" clan members such as Gyuki still around? What happen to Keicho Era's Yuki-Onna eventually? I hope this gets addressed, because otherwise it would seem inconsistent. Even Keicho Era's Nurarihyon is obviously not Nura-Rikuo. One more question: if the blonde-haired demon is Nurarihyon himself and Rikuo is, well... Rikuo, then what happened to Rikuo's dad? Why a missing link?

As you can see, there are a number of issues to be addressed.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 06:44:43 AM »
5:

Meh, the action sequences are very underwhelming, which is unfortunate when every aesthetic aspect of the show has been above-average and a lot better than the first season. I can't help but feel that this episode is very Inuyasha-ish: an all-powerful demon is at hand, Nurarihyon defeats it (in a rather simple way despite how the show tries to portray how difficult it was), and everything ends. It's just straightforward shounen fare.

6:

Well, this is unexpected.

First, Nurarihyon was seen as this "PHWOAR"-like powerful hero who was untouchable in the first season, but now he's being reduced to a demonic errand boy. What gives? It's not necessarily bad to see him like this - it might make him more relatable and likable - but what a stark and jarring contrast between this Nurarihyon and that Nurarihyon. Not to mention, it's also very weird: shouldn't Nurarihyon training to be a clan leader be happening ahead of the Shikkoku arc?

Plus, I feel quite disappointed at how the pacing is slowing down here. The first few episodes gave me the impression that the show may be going for speedier plot development, but seeing that this is a 2-cour show, it's putting its feet up and slowing things down. Are things going back to how it used to be i.e. goddamn boring? Maybe, although I sure hope not.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 07:14:24 AM »
7~8:

lolwut.

I'm not liking the plot one bit. Firstly, Hagoromo-Gitsune's journey in destroying the seals is so similar to the plot in the first season; sure, the plot is moving way faster, but still, it's nothing different from what I've already seen. That, and there's the issue of how Nurarihyon's training seemed to have ended quicker than I imagined.

Plus, I see two immediate turn-offs: one is Nurarihyon's pretentiousness where he can switch between being cocky and a loser, and the other is the trash-talking which is synonymous with most shounen shows.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
9~10:

Okay, now this is becoming like Inuyasha with One Piece.

Why is the Kiyojuji Paranormal Activity Patrol is around? This is one aspect of the Nurarihyon no Mago storyline that needs to be scrapped; they've been nothing more than a liability and a plot device for any shit to happen. Furthermore, if they're out of the picture for good, then there's more airtime to explore other characters that matter, especially when the cast has pretty much grown in number.

I hate how the Ryuuji-Akifusa dispute gets resolved by some deus ex machina resolution, and not being explored further. I was hoping that face-off and feud could have been fleshed out, or even better, dedicate one whole episode to explore the two's past. The two have a history together, so why not do so? Instead, it's a feud that lasted only for a while, and it gets wrapped up with Yura gaining some "PHWOAR" powers.

This also brings to another point: the pacing of the story is too fast. I said before that it's a step-up to see the second season developing a tad faster than the first season, but there comes a point where it should be slowing down. Seeing Yura attaining some awesome power (more specifically, a power so drastic for one who hasn't made that much impact in the whole of last season and this season's first few episodes) is like reaching the tenth level of a building without going through the first nine. Analogously, I was hoping that the progress from level one to level ten would be faster, and I did it see that for a short while. In Yura's case, she just became oh so powerful too soon.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2011, 07:59:59 PM »
11~12:

Why's there always the "villain who wants to challenge stronger prey"? It's quickly becoming a trope or some kind.

The plot is certainly developing at a decent pace, but the characters still haven't won my favor. Nura Rikuo is still lacking the charisma of a leader, even if he has the swagger of one. I just don't see what's so fascinating about as a character, let alone a character.

Then, there's also too much "Name that Move/Character" that the show could've gone without completely.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 05:49:28 AM »
13~14:

Well, I have to say: these two episodes are among the best in the whole Nurarihyon storyline, only because it's getting down to the things that matters in most shounen action shows: the battle scenes. Despite the tacky "Name-that-Move" sequences, the fights are nicely choreographed and even barely ingenious (the 27-Headed demon fight was kinda creative).

And finally, I get to see what I've been waiting for a long time: Nurarihyon and his clan getting humbled and pounded to the ground. It's moments like this where I can see Nurarihyon's mettle and stand a chance to flesh out the charisma which I think the character was severely lacking in season 1. And Gyuki still remains to be the best character so far; the ending scene proves that his loyalty lies more in the clan rather than in Nurarihyon himself, and further justifies his attempt to kill him in the previous season.

edit:

15~16:

Sigh, this show has reverted back to its old ways (more specifically, old bad habits). It's such a waste though, especially when the previous two episodes did pretty well with just showing the good action stuff without all the long-winded dialogue to kill the fun. Now, it's gone back with the action sequences that ironically focuses more on the trash talk rather than the action itself. As a result, I feel like I'm watching fights that are more of a battle of egos (i.e. about who can walk-to-walk more than talk-to-talk) rather than a battle of strengths, and this pisses me off.

The flashbacks of the individual characters to depict their loyalty to Nurarihyon is fine and all - they're decently portrayed although severely lacking emotional punch - but what I hate about all of them is this hackneyed overarching theme of having to protect someone in order to become strong. I think it was either ghostlightning or Baka-Rapter (I think it's the latter) who said before that fights based on protecting someone suck, and here's one example why.

Another thing about Nurarihyon no Mago that sucks? The Ghost Patrol. Dear god, have they served an purpose to this show other than being deadweight liabilities? In fact, what's the point of including them in the show when the main focus has been on Rikuo's demonic side rather than his human (school) life?

This series is just so inconsistent.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:23:44 AM by AC »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2011, 05:44:22 AM »
17~19:

Another bad habit: everytime it has a good action sequence going on, it gets destructively interrupted by some frilly distractions, i.e. some trash talking or comedic relief. Especially for the latter, it's the last thing I want to see in a cutthroat fight. I always like my action fast and furious without any interruption, which is why, despite the story being shitty, I love watching Guilty Crown week after week. When the fun starts, it doesn't stop until it ends indefinitely. Not here though, the comedic relief just has to come in during the fight itself.

Another thing I didn't quite like is how Nura Rikuo didn't fight Tsuchigumo one-on-one. I know that the overraching point of the story in Nurarihyon no Mago (in fact, in every other shounen show) is to rely on your friends for help, but here is one situation where I was hoping to see Rikuo's mettle as a leader, without the help of his horde. Tsuchigumo has been the most interesting villain so far, and I wanted to see a slugfest between the two.

Oh, and WHY AM I still seeing that stupid ghost patrol?? Why do they, along with Kana, even exist in the first place?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 06:28:31 AM »
20~21:

As usual, this show allows its bad habits to get the better of what it's decent at i.e. its decent fights are often marred by intrusive, long-winded trash-talks, history lessons and "Name-that-Move" techniques, killing any form of momentum built up.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up