Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 11:41:40 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Boondocks  (Read 1596 times)

Offline DrIdiot

• DrIdiot's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

The Boondocks
« on: July 02, 2010, 06:48:22 AM »
Erm... it's not really anime.  But it's drawn like it?  Anyway, does anyone else watch this?  I think it's usually hilarious.  Season started out slow but it's gotten way better.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

Re: The Boondocks
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 02:41:56 PM »
For being about black people, it's surprisingly unfunny.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 01:28:25 PM »
The episode with Jimmy Rebel was ****ing hilarious.  Uncle Ruckus is my hero.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 01:20:23 PM »
I have been enjoying Boondocks since it first came out.  I was unaware of the Aaron McGruder comic strip before this, and I'm too way behind to start now, but I have come to adore everything about the TV show.

Though I'm not 100% sold on the recent season.  It seems like they're doing way too much with the exaggerated facial expressions this time around, when the other seasons were more subdued most of the time (saving something ridiculous for an especially ridiculous moment).

You can definitely see McGruder's politics and social commentary coming through.  Huey Freeman, it seems, tends to be his voice box of reason for the most part, but even this character does things I don't think McGruder agrees with.  Riley gets to be the epitome of everything "wrong" with urban black culture, but he's still lovable.  Granddad Freeman is your bitter old black man, though his bitterness seems to stem from his lack of recognition amongst the civil rights era (assuming any of that is true).  Ruckus is, of course, the Unlce Tom taken to an extreme.  Thugnificent and Gangstalicious represent two interesting commentaries on the rapping scene (one is ignorant and stupid but generally harmless, the other is gay and living a lie).

Throw in Samuel L. Jackson voicing a white dude, and you've got one hell of a show.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline d01ph9

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 02:44:45 AM »
Haven't heard of Boondocks though I haven't watched it as yet!! It is based on the comic strip of that name and heard that it is very popular with the fans!! I generally am not very fond of animated series and generally watch only suspense thrillers and similar programs! I don't know much about to pass any comments on it!! I think it has completed its third season and there is no official announcement of a fourth one!!
Trade Union
Pages: [1]   Go Up