Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 04:46:06 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: B Gata H Kei  (Read 12815 times)

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

B Gata H Kei
« on: April 11, 2010, 11:42:24 AM »
Two episodes in.

I am HORRIFIED by the fact that I find this show HILARIOUS. Absolutely horrified.
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline zzeroparticle

• NEET
  • Reviewer
    • Google+
    • zzeroparticle's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with zzeroparticle using Skype
    • Steam Community :: zzeroparticle
    • @zzeroparticle
    • http://blog.animeinstrumentality.net/

Re: B Gata H Kei
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:27:16 PM »
It's certainly not bad.  Sure, there's the potential for it to faceplant really badly at some point, but with the one episode that I've seen, I have hopes that it'll make for a fun comedy.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:21:12 PM »
This is such a weird comedy.  Here you have a chick who wants to be a slut (why is not known) but knows jack diddly squat about actually GETTING THERE.  It's actually somewhat humorous that she has such a contradictory and hypocritical nature.  She would normally be a totally unlikeable character because of her narcissism, but her absolute frankness about sex and sex related material is just adorable.

I just find the whole thing refreshing and ludicrous.  In our minds we're thinking:  "How hard is it to get laid?" then we realize the problem is the gender.  "How hard is it to get laid FOR A CHICK!?  And a HOT CHICK at that?!"

So her perfect foil is a complete poster of a dude who, y'know, actually wouldn't mind poking her, but he's a wuss and clueless and her aggressive behavior is confusing him.  It's a very simple formula, one that was used in Kodomo no Jikan but this is MUCH LESS disturbing.  The "odd couple" routine is often good for a setup.  The question is how they progress from here.  I mean, you can only suspend disbelief that Guy A and Girl A want to **** but don't for whatever reason for so long before SOMEONE has to get laid.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Akira

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 04:32:55 PM »
I like it, actually. I think it's quite clever. At first I thought I was the only one, but I see that general reception has been pretty positive. TIF is right, though, SOMEONE needs to get laid, and fast.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 12:51:30 AM »
3:

Introducing more characters really isn't going to help.  Yamada and her gung-ho libido is still funny, but since she's slowly changing into a moe-moe girl for our hero, it's already starting to look forced and stupid.  S'like, we know where this is going, the gags wont work forever...

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 06:31:01 AM »
1:

It's so absurd that it's hilarious. Hot girl wants to get laid by a hundred dudes but sexually naive and insecure about herself. So, she wants the first guy to pop her cherry (strange, never that our nuts are also known as cherries) to be a meek, awkward but otherwise normal dude. She's not the nympho kind; she just wants the bragging rights that she got laid during high school. This explains why a hot chick wouldn't get laid by now.

It's amazing how this show portrays sex under such comical light, that anything sleazy comes off light-heartedly amusing. What I fear about this show is the impending mushiness expected at the end of the series; I get the feeling that all this will turn from all-out comedy to just mediocre rom-com.

2:

Goddamn, which sister would walk naked in front of her brother? I'm more attracted to her than Yamada... and perhaps, Takeshita :V

I'm ascertained about Kosuda: he freaks out at any erotic thought. What a dense loser.

Ah yes, the meganeko. What a classic archetype to be Yamada's rival...

I'm confused at Yamada. Why would she care how Kosuda is dating if her motive is just to get into his pants? She doesn't realize how strange her feelings are?

3:

Kosuda doesn't know a boob when he touches one? How hard is it to imagine...?

I find this episode underwhelming; Yamada's becoming more moe and tsundere. I hope the humor doesn't get downplayed too soon, at least.

Offline Akira

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 01:43:36 PM »
Episode 4:

That does it. **** Durarara, **** Rainbow, **** Senkou no Night Raid, **** Angel Beats, **** EVERYTHING--- THIS is the best show of the season.

BIG BIG BIG BIG BIIIIIIIIIG

Okay, all facetiousness aside, this show's pretty epic. I don't know if it's because the humor is so ridiculous, or if it's so hilariously corny, or if I genuinely like Yamada AND Kosuda, but I love this show. Every single moment I'm watching this I'm screaming "DO IT FAGGOT DO IT" over, and over, and over, and over, and over. Highlight of my week.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 11:18:15 PM »
Summing up B Gata H Kei in two images:

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:35:05 PM »
4:

The second screenshot busted my gut; it's Yamada's crowning moment. Plus, the horny park was side-splitting too. It's one hilarious episode with so much shenanigans to enjoy. I share Akira's sentiments and it's one of the most enjoyable series yet (and yes, it's more consistently fun to watch this than say, Brotherhood). If it stays this way or gets even more ridiculous, I would highlight this as one of the best for the season.

Yamada turning into an emotional blob almost left a sour aftertaste at the end of the first part.

Offline Akira

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 09:51:54 PM »
Maybe I should try watching B Gata H Kei while not under the influence and see if it's still just as funny.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 07:37:47 PM »
5:

I find this episode quirky and funny not because of just the humor. Rather, at the start of the second part, the show is apparently self-aware that it's getting boring (the story claims that Yamada's ero level is going down but we all know what's really going :V). The first part was boring but it quickly redeems itself but using the old nopan gag the way it should be to tickle everyone's funny. Also, I find Yamada's chain of thought from nopan to falling birth rate intriguing.

That's it, I'm a writing a review on this show.

Offline Akira

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 08:49:34 PM »
I definitely lol'd at "THIS SHOW'S GETTING ****ING BORING, STEP IT UP"

and

"HOW DOES I CREATED LAWS?!"

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 03:59:03 AM »
You can't have an intentionally uproarious second half without the incredibly pedestrian first half.  When a show is capable of poking fun at itself like this, you know it's a winner.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 10:06:49 PM »
6:

Oh, I'm so glad. Kanejou's not a plot device; she's just a screwball. I ROFL'ed at the multi-layered security over her secret.

"That's because America's so corrupted. All they do over there is to have lots and lots of sex, right? I'm so jealous..."
Yamada's lines always cheer me up :V

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 12:52:44 AM »
She really is something else.  Typically you have one character as the boke and another as the tsukkomi.  Yamada is both.  She's her own gag.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up