Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 18, 2017, 07:30:49 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A Certain Scientific Railgun  (Read 28066 times)

Offline fuu

• Ex-Reviewer

Re: A Certain Scientific Railgun
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2009, 07:23:53 AM »
I know I'm one season behind and this is only tenuously related, but dear god SK, how on earth did you sit through Majutsu without attempting to force your hand through the screen and crushing Index's skull into fine powder? Yea sure, Touma is your generic lead shounen dolt, but ye gods, Index is quite possibly the most irritating anime character I've seen in the last two years.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2009, 07:42:38 AM »
Index is fine.  She's just a pointless moe blob.  She goes missing for half the series anyway, so it's all ok.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2010, 10:42:54 PM »
Okay... I'd been balking on it, but I am now watching Index and just passed episode 14, which ends the MISAKA arc involving Accelerator.

I now realize that somewhere in Railgun we're going to be told the story of how Mikoto became aware of the MISAKA network and her futile attempts to shut it down.  I would also like to know how she got such a personality switch as to believe that she could throw away her life so easily.  Nothing in Railgun has led me to believe that she would come to that conclusion.  She's the kind of person who would explore every option first.  Index would also have us believe that Kuroko is not aware of the MISAKA network, and Mikoto's decision, because there's no way in hell she'd just sit idly by and let "Oneesama" wander off to die.

So, I guess we're going to have to be told how it is Misaka Mikoto could keep all this a secret, even from her dearest friends.  We've already had a bit of a continuity problem regarding how Touma and Mikoto met and their fight.  I also think Railgun Mikoto is a lot more irritated with it than Index Mikoto is, but who knows what passage of time we've had here.  We can infer from the Touma meetings that most of the events of Railgun take place between the first and the sixth episode of Index (Where Index destroys Tree Diagaram).  If that's the case, Mikoto has been a VERY busy girl.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2010, 03:44:41 PM »
Railgun 14:

Thank God, an anime that doesn't suck.  The new season is so far not impressing me in the slightest, so it's nice to have a familiar friend sticking around.

This is the Star Trek: TNG episode "Family" done for relevance in Railgun.  Too often a character will have a great and traumatic experience in a story arc and then after the conclusion everything will be just fine hunky dory.  No lasting effects.  No lingering doubts.  No pain.  Everything just moves on as casually as it can.  The TNG episode "Family" was supposed to be a time for everyone to reconcile what had recently happened with The Borg (and specifically Captain Picard).  This episde "Special Lesson" was designed to help Saten get over her own experiences with the Level Upper and any lingering guilt she had about using it.  The episode is basically giving her a reason to go on with new resolve and confidence.  Not just her, I suppose, but all the others present as well.

It was also probably an excuse to use some Index characters.

After finishing Index, I now realize what it is I like more about Railgun:  the writing, character interactions, and pacing is so much ****ing better here.  To illustrate the point about the difference, Index's Touma goes through some serious shit, but there was never an episode like this to give someone pause and a deep breath.  Hell, somehow, Touma is always "just fine" after every battle (save the one where he lost his memories, a stupid and under-utilized plot device).

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2010, 07:42:13 PM »
I'm not sure why you think the events of Railgun had to happen before ep 6 of Index.  I mean, the continuity is a bit shaky anyway, but other than Touma's amnesia (which he does a pretty good job of covering up), I can't see anything to suggest this.

As for ep 14, yeah, another really good episode.  As you say, it's breathing space, a chance to show us some of the consequences of the Level Upper ordeal, and a chance to really understand Saten (which they've done really well... you know what I said earlier about her being one of the best written characters in the entire franchise).

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2010, 10:26:12 PM »
In episode 6 of Index, Index fires a magical beam that destroys a satellite in orbit.  We come to find out this orbiting satellite is the supercomputer known as Tree Diagram.  They mention several times later in Index about it being destroyed (especially during the Accelerator arc).

Kiyama-sensei, in episode 11 as she's driving with Uihara, mentions that she was granted access to use Tree Diagram.  In 12 she claims she was going to use it to help come up with scenarios.  So the events of Railgun HAVE to happen before episode 6 of Index... assuming they want to keep anything resembling continuity.

Touma also recalls the first meeting he had with Mikoto as happening in a family restaurant (before he lost his memory).  Mikoto recalls it differently (it was in front of a closed store of some sort).  It is possible that their meeting was quite a while ago.  This would mean that Index herself hasn't even shown up in Academy City yet.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2010, 06:27:43 AM »
17:

Random filler episode.  I was going to put a lot of thought into the appearance of Index and Komoe-sensei's comments about the roof her apartment being blown off, but I realized that this episode's continuity doesn't matter in a lot of ways.  As a filler, it could fit anywhere.  It doesn't have to be right after the previous episode of Railgun, nor even in Railgun at all.  This could have fit anywhere in the Index universe after certain events have happened.  Thus, trying to proclaim anything about where Railgun is in relation to Index based on this episode would be moot.

However, if it was, it would obviously be somewhere after episode six of Index.  Judging by Aisa Himegami's appearance (complete with magic blocking cross), this has to take place well after her story arc as well.  I'm not really sure what import the girl with the locket has on the Index universe, but I'm guessing that was another plug to something that required referencing.  The picture of the girl in the locket looks a bit like Misaka, but not quite.

Oh, as for the episode itself:  meh.  Tessou-sensei is not exactly someone I find interesting, and the lighthearted filler was only humorous while Komoe-sensei was ordering bizarre foods.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2010, 04:27:44 AM »
Yeah episode 17 was meh for me as well. 15 and 16 were little better. Loved the remark on 'so it did turn into a boob talk...in not so perverted way', describes well how I feel about the show's treatment of its content (which isn't too far from other generic action/moe/fanservice/comedy anime). I usually dislike those anime not because I hate tits and explosions, it's because they're done so poorly and in bad taste, which is not the case for me in Railgun (well, most of the time).

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2010, 04:20:12 AM »
19:

This being the fourth filler in a row, I'm starting to wonder what the problem is.  I mean, there's at least one big story regarding Misaka that has yet to be told, and it's not as if you couldn't do another story arc like the Level Upper thing, so what gives?  Are they intentionally pacing out so that there is a last arc that climaxes with the last episode or are they going to run the rest of this season out and go balls to the wall with another season focusing on a plot?

Regardless, this episode fits right after episode 6 of Index (Touma shows up and his memories are gone, not recognizing Misaka at all) and before the MISAKA / Accelerator arc.

So maybe we've been seeing some fillers that do fit into the continuity.  I'd been thinking it really doesn't matter since fillers are fillers, but if they're still trying to maintain a sense of concurrentness, then the discovery of the MISAKA Network cannot be very far off.

Offline C0MPL3X

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2010, 06:28:53 AM »
Well, I liked 19. I've already forgotten what the big story is going to be anyway. But I can imagine myself frustrated to no ends if I marathoned instead.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2010, 09:00:04 AM »
So maybe we've been seeing some fillers that do fit into the continuity.  I'd been thinking it really doesn't matter since fillers are fillers, but if they're still trying to maintain a sense of concurrentness, then the discovery of the MISAKA Network cannot be very far off.
From what I'm hearing, the anime has pretty much abandoned the canon timeline and has gone AU.  The show may refocus on something for the final episodes, but it'll probably be filler for a while.  But then again, onsidering that the more serious arcs (of Index) were at best hilariously overblown melodramas with as much subtlety as Elfen Lied, I like that Railgun has just stuck to being light, disposable fun.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline C0MPL3X

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2010, 03:44:24 AM »
episode 21

oh the plot THICKENS
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up