Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 24, 2017, 12:44:28 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A Certain Scientific Railgun  (Read 27685 times)

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

Re: A Certain Scientific Railgun
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2009, 07:42:09 PM »
It seems like this series is now hitting the srs business mode. Not sure if that's a good idea in long run but Kasai did pretty good job handling both lighter and heavier elements in this episode.

Offline fuu

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2009, 09:34:54 PM »
Does one have to watch the previous season to have any semblance of an idea of just what the **** is going on?

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2009, 09:53:33 PM »
It helps.  But this is one of those rare cases where I'd recommend the second season before recommending the first.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2009, 02:09:11 AM »
Ep 11

Man, what the hell.  I was with this to a certain point, but the minute they had an opportunity to play the "anything goes" card, they couldn't resist.  This ep felt like an Index ep more than any other in the series to date, even the ones with Touma in them.  I mean, what the hell was with the giant fetus coming out of Kiyama's back.  I'm guessing they'll explain it in the next episode, but probably in the same obtuse exposition style that weighed down the first series.  That's not good writing, that's just covering up for randomness while simultaneously slowing down the momentum of the story.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2009, 04:51:27 AM »
11:

Having not seen Index, I actually enjoyed the hell out of this particular episode.  Actually, I have to say that overall I've been enjoying Railgun far more than my bitchings about the scientific aspects of it have let on.  I have enjoyed the characters, the directing, and the logical course that it has taken, story wise.  I enjoy that what started off as a "throw-a-way" episode about urban myths has become something far more real and sinister.  Instead of having everything spoon fed to us, we were actually forced to pay attention.  How many of you really paid much heed to Saten's off-handed remark about a Level Upper way back then?

Anyway, I had Kiyama pegged as an anti-hero more than a villain, in the truest sense of the term.  "Anti-Hero" gets tossed around a lot to characters who don't fit the mold.  The true anti-hero disregards all laws and rules for the sake of whatever needs to be done.  It doesn't even have to be a "just" thing, it can be as selfish as revenge.  Anti-heroes aren't bad people, but society would have a hard time judging them as anything but.  Kiyama's venture is certainly deplorable, but the rules don't matter to her, except her own.  She wont hurt the people she's used, but she will accomplish her goals.

As for the fetus thing, I just thought that was cool.  It was cool because it's a giant ghost fetus thing coming out of nowhere, which is creepy and horrifying.  It was also cool because it scared the shit out of Biribiri.  I don't know how often we see it in films, comics, and anime, but it always seems that the most bizarre and terrifying things that the characters come across are brushed off without much thought.  Misaka lives in a world of espers, where the impossible becomes possible and one has to have an open mind about weirdness.  And yet, here she is, knowing full well the horrors of ability users and such, faced with something she flat out can't comprehend.

And what a way to end the episode.  Fetus screams a truly hideous sound that would send shivers up the most steeled nerves, fade to black.  Until next week, we don't know what the hell that thing is going to do.  That's a cliffhanger.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2009, 09:32:34 AM »
This ep felt like an Index ep more than any other in the series to date, even the ones with Touma in them. 

Not really.  Index had a bad habit of showing a fight scene then literally pausing for 10 minutes while the characters stand around talking about the science behind their abilities, their motives, followed by Touma's rejection to their ideology.  Railgun follows the shounen action route where characters give explanations while they fight which means that while the dialogue is a mess it's extremely easy to tune out in lieu of the the pretty colors flying across the screen.  Oh yeah,and I'm actually sympathetic to Kiyama's motive due in no small part to the fact that it actually made sense (unlike some of the explanations in Index).   

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline C0MPL3X

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2009, 05:57:29 AM »
Ok few quick points

- I liked the fights. Nothing mind blowing but its ok, at least they were well animated, few creative sparks. Would've preferred more intensity and better choregraphy but nvm.

- Like sorrow-k, i really dont like the writing. 1. that fetus crap, que the eyes rolling. 2. **** not another flashback for our helpless villain. anyway that story was so fuking forced down my throat. o look at this cute little girl, oh teacher i trust you, *brain splat* oh no i can't believe i killed that adorable child who trusted me, and who took bath with me too! and god, check out that old fag grinning. I just think the source material really is BAD (without having even read it, I know I'm a psychic so sue me), and more they ignore anything too serious better off they will be.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 04:08:48 AM »
12:

I'm guessing since the next episode looks like your typical fanservice finale, that this is the "last" episode.  I don't know if they'll do more with the Railgun spin-off, so perhaps this is only the end of this season.  In any event...

I liked this episode for a lot of reasons, but at the same time there were a few things that bugged me.  Yes, two of them are scientific related.  I'm not giving up on the absurdity of the science in this show.  I can accept certain things, like people having powers in the first place.  I do not accept that they can simply warp reality because it's convenient.  Hollywood does this all the time for special effects and for moments when the absurd is used to create a false sense of wonder.  Pseudo-science is one thing... flat out crank bullshit is another.

First science problem:

I bitched a while ago about electricity, energy, and friction.  Yes, the same electricity, energy, and friction that helped Misaka burn away the AIM Burst thing.  It's real simple, either her powers follow the same rules as electricity or they don't.  Everything I've seen leads me to believe that it is supposed to.  The applications of the powers I'm not really griping about.  Magnetizing and hyper-vibrating iron particles is cute.  Shooting a coin at the standard electromagnetic rail gun muzzle velocity of 3000 km/s is neato and badass.  Saying that electricity can shock people but not burn them to smithereens is retarded.  I get that Misaka can control her voltage and has been holding back a lot of her "amps", as it were, but after all this, nobody has so much as a second degree burn.  Not to mention her own clothing.

Second science problem (and general pseudoscience gripe):

What's with the nuclear testing facility?  Was that really necessary?  I mean, considering they were on the outskirts of the city, that's probably where you'd put one, but isn't that awfully damned convenient to create a false sense of tension?  Is the paranoia about anything nuclear just never going to go away?  It's becoming a lazy crutch of the ultra paranoid story writer.  "Insert nuclear facility!  Gain 2,000 points of drama!".

And what would the AIM Burst thing do with it?  Just bulldoze through it?  Let's assume for five seconds that it somehow accidentally finds the reactor chamber or anything remotely important to producing a nuclear effect, what's the worst that could happen?  I'm assuming since there was NOBODY around that the facility was abandoned or not operational.  Do nuclear test facilities just leave hazardous waste laying about to be tromped through by the next monster that comes along?  Were the reactor left on that would allow for a meltdown to occur?  Don't people realize that when a reactor melts down, it doesn't ****ing explode?  I swear, nuclear facilities are put into movies and such just to create catastrophe.  They're not that un-****ing-safe, people.  And the folks who work at them are not idiots.  Incidents like Chernobyl and Three-Mile Island are exceptions and both of them were caused by extreme stupidity.

Last but not least, a nuclear facility?!  Jesus Christ, if Misaka can control electromagnetism, she has the ability to turn whatever is behind her into a god damned weapon of mass destruction.  Want some dense metals?  Pull out the Uranium-235!  Plow some of that into the monster and see how much fun it has.  You're already capable of projecting a solid object at speeds greater than sound, go find the particle accelerator, rev it up a few notches, and irradiate the ****ing thing.

Third problem (non science):

Power levels bug me to no end.  I know that we have to have villains and heroes, but it seems like more often than not power levels get used as a lazy way of trying to establish a false sense of "sports drama".  Y'know, the David vs. Goliath type shit.  Except that with power levels, you can't overcome Goliath unless you somehow find either the will, the hidden power, or the secret training or technique that will let you become Goliath.  David can never win.

The whole bit with Kiyama-sensei remarking about Misaka's power is just a prime example.  If she hasn't been serious this entire season, then why have we bothered having any fighting at all?  I'm sure that Index had more of this kind of shit, and it's not like Railgun needed it, so why bother?  Just do the girls living life in the academy thing and the whole Level Upper mystery bit and blammo.

It is interesting that this season has given us two really good anti-heroes.  Kiyama-sensei's last line is pretty much the definition of it.  She has no regard for the rules, even now after everything that has happened.  She really wasn't a bad character, and it seems as though someone else has taken a notice in her work.

The other anti-hero this season, btw, is Hamyuts Messeta.  Oh **** yeah.

Anyway, as final episodes go it was pretty good.  Wrapped up everything nice and neat, the fighting and powers were creative and cool, gave us a good "d'aww" moment, Misaka learned an after-school special lesson, and set up possible future events.  All in all Railgun was a good time, gripes about science or no gripes about science.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2009, 05:46:46 AM »
It's 24 episodes.  Yeah, colour me surprised too.

Offline C0MPL3X

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2009, 05:52:43 AM »
I'm with TIF, this last episode was so much better than I expected. Ok I still think the fetus thing was lame, and so was the conveniently placed nuclear plant. I'm not a fan of power levels too but I think it was good that Misaka didn't use her full power, because she was trying to defeat Kiyama without killing her. Although of course, it was more likely to create suspense and make it more DORAMATIC when we realises that *gasp* misaka is even stronger than we thought! The thing is, I don't have as much complaints this time because it actually worked, it really was dramatic and it created that sense of awesome power. I had an impression that there wasn't THAT much dif between Misaka and Kuroko, but this battle really puts things to the right scale, misaka kicks that much harder than kuroko.

And yea, why isn't this last episode again?

So ok, like TIF I enjoyed this, the question is where is this headed now? I'm guessing there's another srs bns ahead (from what we can tell from the terrifying foreshadowing~ near the end), hopefully they can still tread that line between heaviness and lightness, because it's a very fine line to cross, and not many can cross it without falling flat on its face.

I also noticed that there wasn't much romance and tsundere moments between Mikoto and that guy whos name I care not remember. I'm guessing that's a good sign, although I kinda miss her tsundere mode.

And props for great animation so far, the looks have been great. Also for making the main characters pleasant to watch.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2009, 07:31:43 AM »
I've had plenty of tsundere Mikoto, because that's all she was in the first season.  I much prefer this GAR Mikoto, who kicks ass and takes things on (well, she did do those things in the first season, but she's doing them way more now).

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2009, 04:29:14 AM »
See, I'm with Sorrow when it comes to Touma and Misaka... I don't really want to see it.  I realize that she's the resident tsundere in the Index series, but this is HER spinoff.  Why she is still having to be relegated to that mode at seemingly random points just irks me.  And this is coming from someone who hasn't SEEN Index.  Just the brief periods of their interaction lead me to believe that Index's Misaka Mikoto would annoy the shit out of me.  It's such a huge step away from her usual self, especially the character we're getting here, that it becomes completely unbelievable.

"Love makes us do funny things".  Bull.  Shit.  Misaka is supposed to be a much more confident character than this.  Hell, by the end of Railgun, we also see that she has been given a wakeup call to the reality of the world.  I refuse to believe someone who is capable of such introversion can be marginalized to the degree of a harem archetype.  It's annoying to even consider it.

Denying it wont do me any good either.

Offline C0MPL3X

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2009, 07:13:58 AM »
Guess I can't complain too much about episode 13 (kinda wish Kuroko and Mikoto swapped swimming suits). Peeling tomato and Space Odyssey reference ftw~

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2009, 08:43:29 PM »
FANSERVICE EPISODE!

Meh.  I like these girls, but I can't say I find any of them terribly attractive (although Saten will be cute when she's older).  The Space Odyssey reference was good.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2009, 02:32:01 AM »
I think it was just funny that Kuroko ended up with the bone.  So many conclusions I can draw form that...

Misaka moe moment, and of course Touma sees it.

BTW, snakes don't like being petted or rubbed.  With the way their eyes are laid out, they don't see too much coming from behind their heads, and when they do they can get startled easily.  If they respond to you at all it's because you're warm or because of something moving near them.  They do, however, like to climb and will crawl up your arm and drape around your head (it's warm there).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up