Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 18, 2017, 07:44:05 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A Certain Scientific Railgun  (Read 28067 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: A Certain Scientific Railgun
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 03:04:45 AM »
I thought she already had amnesia.  That scene in the second episode where she tries to attack Touma for the first time, she's standing out in the alleyway afterward with a really dazed expression on her face.  She could just be daydreaming about someone repelling her attack, but it seemed more like she was snapping back into consciousness.

The intro also has that scene where Touma walks past but she turns and he's gone (replaced by the oh so adorably naughty Kuroko teleporting in).  So I think you're going to get just that.

Sorrow-kun:
Yeah, TIF, I think you need to levy it more suspension of disbelief.  I don't think you can fault it too hard for defying real world physics just because of Misaka's attitude towards urban legends.  As long as they're clear and consistent about what characters can and can't do... which is something, funnily enough, that the first series completely failed at.

I'm just going by the rules of this universe.  I will nitpick as I see fit.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:16:51 AM by TypicalIdiotFan »
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 04:00:55 AM »
I just realised this but this series is directed by Nagai Tatsuyuki. Maybe he's challenging himself by trying to salvage most out of more and more mediocre series at a time? (H&C II -> Toradora -> Railgun) 

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 04:25:22 AM »
I just realised this but this series is directed by Nagai Tatsuyuki. Maybe he's challenging himself by trying to salvage most out of more and more mediocre series at a time? (H&C II -> Toradora -> Railgun) 

You thought H&C2 was mediocre?

Offline C0MPL3X

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 05:47:29 AM »
Well if 10/10 means mediocre yea HC II is mediocre. I was just trying to say he's been adapting works that were more mediocre than hisp previous work (i.e. Toradora being not as mature as HC II, and Railgun being not as touching as Toradora. Just started Toradora btw).

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 09:21:27 PM »
Ah.  I think I misunderstood your statement.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 10:27:57 PM »
The intro also has that scene where Touma walks past but she turns and he's gone (replaced by the oh so adorably naughty Kuroko teleporting in).

Nah, that's just a reference to the first Index OP (0:25 - 0:30)

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 01:48:01 AM »
5:

Fluff background piece.  That "Equal Speed" power was kind of neat.  A power that basically eliminates inertia.  Now you're talking.

My only real bitch about this episode is, once again, with Biribiri's power.  Kuroko mentions that she's a level 5 by this point in the flashback, and we see Misaka just wontonly fire her railgun into the bank.  I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she could see into the bank with the hole that Equal Speed guy made, but wouldn't that still be stupid as hell?  "Hostage situation?  Fire WMD!"

Not only that, but how'd she get that in there past the onlooking crowd without either A) hitting anybody or B) being seen.  Obviously Kuroko and Equal Speed guy could see her shot coming past them.

Blargh.  Minor beef, I suppose, and not really related to her powers so much as a rather bad scene direction.

Offline C0MPL3X

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 03:29:24 AM »
5:

Fluff background piece.  That "Equal Speed" power was kind of neat.  A power that basically eliminates inertia. 
Isn't it eliminating opposing force? (since without opp. object will travel at same v due to inertia...or thats what i remember from high school)

Anyway, Mikoto's lack of self-awareness of her power was staggering from epi 1...I think the highlight for me was when she was throwing countless bolts of electricity at that guy she's tsundere for...you know, how it can pretty much kill him (if it lands on him) but saying it's ok because it won't work anyway...x_X (I mean...using sand blade on him means she actually wanted to kill him right?...-__-). I am tempted to blame it more on the source than the direction though, but who knows I didn't read the manga after all.

And oowww the chibi characters are soeee cute <3

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 01:11:58 AM »
Ep 6

I think it's just about time to stop comparing this anime with Index, since the amount of enjoyment I'm getting from watching this far outstrips the enjoyment level I got from Index.  Is it a good anime?  I'm not sure I want to say that just yet, it's still yet to really delve into anything serious (although it looks like that's just around the corner), and the test for this show will be making the serious stuff engaging and interesting, since that's what Index failed at.

But, for now, this is lots of fun (and, at times, rather sweet).  I think the only episode of this so far that I haven't liked on some level was the one with Touma in it (something to do with my semi-accurate comment earlier that this is just Index with all the annoying characters taken out... "semi-accurate" because it's fortunately been more than that).

Lots of little things in this episode, too, like Misaka's sore loser attitude motivating her, and Saten instantly getting what Misaka took the entire episode to figure out, ie, that being in Judgement is hard.  And, on another note, I've really grown quite fond of the ED too.  J.C. Staff have this habit of using ED themes that just fit, perfectly.  This one too, IMO.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 02:45:16 AM »
I am so sick of Misaka having to be saved by Touma all the time.  It's happened in this series, it happened three or four times in the last series.  She's a level 5, surely she can look after herself.  And she can most of the time, but whenever Touma is anywhere in the vicinity, she suddenly becomes incapable.  Dear writers, can we have Misaka save Touma for once?  It'd be a refreshing change, and far more plausible.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 06:26:12 PM »
How dare you ask Japan to not be misogynist.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 06:38:09 PM »
8:

Well, we should have figured out that the Level Upper was music based.  Graviton dude's headphones didn't spell it out or anything.  Now little Saten is going to listen and BOO HA HA!  POWERZ!

BTW, I scoffed at Uiharu's comment about cheating.  I realize the Japanese have a certain appreciation for processes and legitimacy, but **** that bullshit.  This all comes down to the same arguments that people make about artificial enhancements of any sort.  Is it "fair"?  **** fair.  You get one life and one chance to make the most of it.  Everybody else has an equal chance to do exactly what you did to reach your goals.  The only thing stopping you is morality.  Ambition is not the lack of integrity, but if integrity gets in the way of what you want to accomplish, reevaluate your moral fiber.

Can't see well?  Get glasses or lasik surgery.  Is that cheating?  No it isn't.
Can't play sports well?  Do steroids.  Is it cheating?  No it isn't.  You accept the risks of your actions.
Can't beat someone directly?  Ambush them.  Is it cheating?  Only to the ****er getting ambushed.

Do the ends ever justify the means?  No.  It is a logical fallacy to say otherwise.  However, when the foundation of that argument is one's personal moral code, in what situation do the means not matter?

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 06:10:33 AM »
Can't play sports well?  Do steroids.  Is it cheating?  No it isn't.  You accept the risks of your actions.
Wait, what do you mean by "cheating"?  Because if you get caught, surely that's cheating by whatever the rules of the sport are.  If you don't get caught, I guess that's open to debate.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 02:59:31 AM »
Wait, what do you mean by "cheating"?  Because if you get caught, surely that's cheating by whatever the rules of the sport are.  If you don't get caught, I guess that's open to debate.

Oh, I guess I should have specified.  I mentioned the steroids issue because my favorite sport, baseball, has been having a recent brouhaha about them.  They're illegal now, but they weren't back then.  But it hasn't stopped fans from declaring those players "cheaters", even though cheating has been a part of baseball since the game started.

Steroids are illegal now in every major sporting event except Pro Wrestling.  I still don't like using the term "cheating", but it is rule or law breaking behavior.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 09:57:04 PM »
Ep 10

So the big bad has been revealed as Kiyama, and really I shouldn't be so surprised.  She's been suspicious since her first appearance in the OP, but in the more recent episodes they've been able to distract attention away from that fairly well.

Oh man, this was a rather emotional episode.  There was hardly a character that either didn't cry or have a bravado-filled inspirational speech.  The way Saten was talking about Level Upper, it was like she was describing a drug that she'd shared with her friends despite knowing that it's bad (...mm'kay).  But I felt bad for Saten.  She's pretty much my favourite character in a show where I like almost all of the characters.  I don't think I ever really felt for the characters during Index.  Rarely at most.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up