Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 08:40:01 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A Certain Scientific Railgun  (Read 27651 times)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

A Certain Scientific Railgun
« on: October 03, 2009, 09:27:06 PM »
Ep. 1

Typical shounen show, but with junior high girls. Junior High. In no time, we see booby-snatching, "panty shots", and other silly sexual humor. Do we need to have a "wild" lesbian? So far the show comes off as half-obnoxious, half-serious--but fully boring. And you just have to love the 'Exposition Episode" that the first episode of almost every series tend to conform to. Why do people whine when we actually get something interesting and creative, like Haruhi or Gungrave's first episodes?

Shirai's seiyuu is annoying. The OP "only my railgun" is more average Engrish fodder.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: A Certain Scientific Railgun
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 06:32:23 PM »
1:

I'm missing something.

Disclaimer:  haven't watched To Aru Majutsu Index (A Certain Magical Index), so if the answers lie there, then well **** me running.

What idiot would do this?

Picture this:  We're going to build a city, a big one!  full of schools!  All schools all the time!  Wait, no, wait, stop me if you've heard this one:  we're gonna use it to create and train kids with superpowers!  I'm not just talking little mind bending things either, I'm talking about kids who can create fire and explosions, kids who can teleport metal through any object (including the human body!), and other kids who can fire coins like rail gun shots creating massive waves of electromagnetic interference and street destroying power.

What's that you say?  Having someone around in a heavy technologically advanced city that relies upon electronics that is able to produce electromagnetic waves at will would be a bad idea?  I don't know what you're on about.  This is anime.  The law of physics will only apply when we need it to.  Oh, and no, no military will be around that will eventually abuse these super humans as weapons of war.  This is purely for science and discovery!  Not for an ulterior motive.  Why would there be anything like that?  Interest?  Return on investment?  What ARE you talking about?

So "Biribiri" is capable of producing a focused electric point similar to the effect of a Jacob's Ladder and propel an object at, well at least, supersonic speeds instantaneously.  The immediate effects are a backlash of electromagnetic waves, immediate force causing distortions in the local area around her, and enough projectile force to put grooves in the pavement..... but it didn't obliterate the car she fired it at.  Nope, just knocked it up and over her and crashed it.

Let me try to paint a picture for y'all about solid objects moving at high velocities:  Rock.  Windshield.  55mph.  A small pebble can cause a solid highly reinforced window to crack at or around 55mph.  Accelerate that to 700mph, and that pebble goes through your car, out the back window, and through probably three more cars behind you.  Bullet technology has advanced since the first inventions to make it so that the projectile can travel through the air with less resistance and speed (a process called "rifling"), and so that the focus of the energy is on the point of impact.  An M16 rifle has a muzzle velocity of roughly 900m/s.  An electromagnetic rail gun would be based on a principle of simply propelling an object forward with a muzzle velocity of about 3500 m/s.  Similarly, the mass of the object being fired would increase or decrease the amount of force involved.

Currently, the US Navy successfully conducted a test back in 2008 of a 10.42 mega Joule rail gun that would have a range of about 200km.  If you're interested in figuring out how much force 10.42 mega Joules is, I suggest talking to a physicist.

Now, here's the other problem:  I realize that we just witnessed not long before Biribiri blew the crap out of the car another dude making fire appear out of nowhere and throwing it around without getting burned.  This guy, however, is a pyrokinetic, so our suspension of disbelief would have us believe that he's able to handle it.  An electromagnetic rail gun would require some serious energy to be coursing around, not to mention the friction of the object moving through the air.  The amount of heat generated by such a thing would melt Biribiri where she stood.  Unless we somehow believe these kids are all able to withstand high degrees of heat.

TL;DR:  super powers are cute and all, but when you put "scientific" and "rail gun" in the title, you're no longer allowed to take as many liberties as you want.  Suspension of disbelief requires us to be given a reason to do so, and so far they haven't done a good job of that.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 07:15:18 PM »
I've always taken the whole "science" claim as a contrast to the "magic" of this world.  ESPer powers that can be measured, analyzed and predicted are put under the category of science and stuff that can't are called magic.  

As for why the train these ESPers, I suppose it has something to do with some underground war between magic and science that random characters mentioned in their secret speeches to secret characters (the show never really got around to expanding the concept so all it did was give an excuse to add a new magic controlling bad guy every arc of Index).    

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 05:07:46 PM »
No "science" in this, this is pretty much just Index with all the annoying characters taken out.  (Except they left Kuroko in).  If they can avoid the lengthy (and often pointless) info-dumps of the first season, then I'll consider this an improvement.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 02:20:29 AM »
I liked Kuroko =(

anyway, it was better than I thought. And I mean, since it's not supposed to be serious, I don't see much point in delving into science of magic or what logic. I like the girls, they're cute and easy to watch. Still seems like one of the retarded species of anime (so far), but whatever.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 04:35:42 AM »
Ep 2

You know what, this is a lot better than Index.  Index took itself way too seriously, and constantly tried to make itself more and more surprising, but only really succeeded at making itself overly convoluted.  This actually fun to watch.  I guess it helps a bit that these are just much more interesting characters than the ones that got most of the screentime in Index.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 04:25:34 PM »
2:

Kuroko the horny lesbian is by far more interesting than the others.  However, her schtick, bordering upon insane, can't last the whole season.  Characters who have absurd personality quirks can't be funny forever.  I know this is just supposed to be silly, but considering her obsession, how come she hasn't started shouting "GET SOME!" yet?  She's only about 2 steps away from Liang Qi of Canaan, and we know how that turned out.

Sorrow - You're going to be disappointed.  The "plot" is supposed to start next week, according to the manga fags.  So your hope this doesn't take itself seriously is about to go out the window.

Offline C0MPL3X

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 04:10:07 AM »
Yea Kuroko is so naughty, but you need something more to last a season (? how long is it anyway, MAL doesn't say episode length). None of the characters here annoy me so that's good, and animation I think is very good for a show like this. Let's hope it doesn't fail (too hard) when it gets serious?

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 10:47:13 PM »
Episode 3

Plot?  What plot?

Thank God

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 01:06:06 AM »
What?  Really?

la la la prism discriminate la la la only my rail gun can shoot la la la la la....

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 05:17:06 PM »
I'm having so much more fun with this than I did with Index.  This is at least staying consistent with the rules it sets.  There were some episodes in Index where they changed the rules almost every two minutes.  Yes, it's light-hearted, and almost self-parody.  That's good, though, since it makes it enjoyable.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 02:41:51 PM »
4:

I didn't see any of Index, so this stuff with Touma is flying WAY over my head.  The only reason I know he's Touma is I looked it up.  I don't know how this meshes with the other series, but like any rom-com anime where one character seems to inexplicably fall for another, I find this contrived shit to be tedious, boring, and completely unbelievable.  Not that I care, mind you, because I knew there was no way in hell Kuroko was going to tap that ass, but come the **** on.

I will say this, Biribiri's powers are interesting.  It seems the whole "railgun" part of things is just one application of her abilities.  Like the magnetically put together iron-dust sword, with electric vibrational waves... aka a "vibro blade" (another theorized weapon, mostly in fantasy / sci fi settings but there is a possibility of using a weapon that vibrates at supersonic speeds being able to cut something with greater force).  I thought that whole sequence was cool.  It's one thing for super powered heroes and heroines to have abilities, but I often times find that they're used in such boring or literal ways.  Darker than BLACK is pretty good at using character powers in a variety of ways, and so is this.

But let me stress something here.  Earlier I was told there's nothing scientific about this.  Well, yeah, okay, except that Biribiri herself seems to have a problem with non-scientific things.  In this world (I looked this up too) esper powers are more "scientific" because they have logical meaning behind them.  Ergo, the applications of those powers are often just as scientifically backed.  Magic, on the other hand, is less scientific.  So, since Biribiri herself believes in and follows scientific rules, I go back to post one:

How the **** isn't she burned to a crisp by the friction force of "firing" an electromagnetic rail gun?

Hey, it's their ****ing rules, not mine.  They want to be scientific, I'm going to hold them to it.

Offline C0MPL3X

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 02:07:28 AM »
Insert Quote
4:

I didn't see any of Index, so this stuff with Touma is flying WAY over my head.  The only reason I know he's Touma is I looked it up.  I don't know how this meshes with the other series, but like any rom-com anime where one character seems to inexplicably fall for another, I find this contrived shit to be tedious, boring, and completely unbelievable.  Not that I care, mind you, because I knew there was no way in hell Kuroko was going to tap that ass, but come the **** on.

I will say this, Biribiri's powers are interesting.  It seems the whole "railgun" part of things is just one application of her abilities.  Like the magnetically put together iron-dust sword, with electric vibrational waves... aka a "vibro blade" (another theorized weapon, mostly in fantasy / sci fi settings but there is a possibility of using a weapon that vibrates at supersonic speeds being able to cut something with greater force).  I thought that whole sequence was cool.  It's one thing for super powered heroes and heroines to have abilities, but I often times find that they're used in such boring or literal ways.  Darker than BLACK is pretty good at using character powers in a variety of ways, and so is this.

But let me stress something here.  Earlier I was told there's nothing scientific about this.  Well, yeah, okay, except that Biribiri herself seems to have a problem with non-scientific things.  In this world (I looked this up too) esper powers are more "scientific" because they have logical meaning behind them.  Ergo, the applications of those powers are often just as scientifically backed.  Magic, on the other hand, is less scientific.  So, since Biribiri herself believes in and follows scientific rules, I go back to post one:

How the **** isn't she burned to a crisp by the friction force of "firing" an electromagnetic rail gun?

Hey, it's their ****ing rules, not mine.  They want to be scientific, I'm going to hold them to it.
I think Sorrow meant no science as in, like, no science that we should be taking seriously...

I don't disagree that it's contrived but they're doing a good job making it fun and not boring or annoying for me, or at least not yet.

I think this series is easier to forgive for me than Darker than Black because the latter was supposed to be much more serious. I really didn't like the fact that they were using these weird abilities to fight when they are so much more efficient with a gun for example (not to mention that they had to pay a 'price' after using ability. I know it's all symbolism etc etc but it felt jarring and almost as if they were there as one of those unique 'abilities' anime have to have these days.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 03:24:28 AM »
Yeah, TIF, I think you need to levy it more suspension of disbelief.  I don't think you can fault it too hard for defying real world physics just because of Misaka's attitude towards urban legends.  As long as they're clear and consistent about what characters can and can't do... which is something, funnily enough, that the first series completely failed at.

Is it just me, or is Touma even more of a git here than he was in the first season?  Also, I was a bit annoyed at the ret-con, even if it was minor.  That wasn't how Misaka and Touma met, IIRC.  Well, not how the first season told it, anyway.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 12:09:20 AM »
Is it just me, or is Touma even more of a git here than he was in the first season?  Also, I was a bit annoyed at the ret-con, even if it was minor.  That wasn't how Misaka and Touma met, IIRC.  Well, not how the first season told it, anyway.

If I recall correctly, Touma got amnesia pretty early in Index which led Touma version 2 to pretty much walk on egg shells throughout the series since he didn't want to hurt those associated with his former self.  Considering that both Touma and the Accelerator both got amnesia, I wouldn't be surprised if Misaka bops her head by the end of this  (or we can simply be in an alternate universe).

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up