Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 18, 2017, 05:56:18 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Anime OP/ED Themes  (Read 28049 times)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Great Anime OP/ED Themes
« on: August 26, 2009, 11:39:53 PM »
Yes, we need one of these.

Aoi Hana by Kukikodan
Aoi Hana OP
This was a song that took two episodes to grow on me, because it needed the context of the anime: its story, its atmosphere, its feel, its gentleness. Everything matches perfectly. And everything flows perfectly. With the timing of the music and the slow motion running-and-knapsack swinging, I got a shiver. Then, the sequence of the two girls dancing and the flowers swirling evokes a little happy heartbreak, yet it is juxtaposed with the kindness and tenderness of Akira pouring flowers onto Fumi, both undressed.

Tell Me Why by Penpals
Berserk OP
My brother loved this song and I remember him blasting it from his room, many years before I got acquainted with the series, and anime, myself. I grew to love it too, and I got so into it that I got every song I could find from the rare band (a difficult search across the internets, believe it).

Uninstall by Chiaki Ishikawa
Bokurano OP
It's one of those songs that gives you goosebumps because it's so inexplicably good. The image of Jun sprinting with the sunset-blazed sky in the background has been singed into my mind. An incredibly epic OP that must be experienced.

Aoi Hana by Color Bottle
Casshern Sins OP
It was one of the first things I saw from Casshern Sins, and I was floored. The colors were so vibrant, the style was so flexible, the flavor was so delicious, and what's with this music? It's so good! Rarely have I sat through an OP for every episode it played. Yes, Color Bottle's Aoi Hana 26 times in one sitting. I'm still not sick of it.

Ride on Shooting Star by The Pillows
FLCL ED
I had no idea what was going on by the time Naota ended Episode 1. But these pink lightning zaps from the sides came out and this great guitar riff hit me. It took a few seconds, but I'm quite sure I said aloud, "Man... this is awesome." I let the ED run through and just realized I watched one of the most creative things ever, episode and ED.

Rewrite by Asian Kung-Fu Generation
Fullmetal Alchemist OP 4
Rewrite was a great song, by a new band that had another great song earlier (Haruka Kanata in Naruto). It was very refreshing, just like every FMA OP. But it was newer, better, fresher, because it was the OP for one of the greatest finale for one of the year's best anime.

Akaneiro ga Moeru Toki by Scoobie Do
Gungrave ED
I loved this song. With the characters racing indefinitely towards the sun, my face was smashed with touching lyrics and awesome instrumentation. Every time the ED played, I felt like I was really with the story because of the accuracy of the music and the animation.

Yume no Naka e by Miyazawa and Arima's Seiyuu Enomoto Atsuko and Suzuki Chihiro
His and Her Circumstances ED
Oh my god. This was one of the songs that I swore I would die for, in my head. It was an original song and the visuals changed often, but the premise was a camera on a dolly (shooting with an extreme wide angle lens) roaming through different parts of an empty high school. My attachment to the song is indescribable; I get shivers listening to it. I adore it.

Mistake by THE BAND HAS NO NAME
Honey and Clover ED 2
The silhouette and yellow scheme works very well for what is Honey and Clover's best song, bar none. The refrain of "atama kakaete", subsequent "Ooh ooh" and bit of scat singing is unforgettable, like the franchise.

Cloud Age Symphony by Shuntaro Okino
Last Exile OP
This OP blew my mind, and I didn't even know it until halfway through the series. The backlash from not realizing its greatness earlier had accumulated invisibly... and then suddenly erupted in an avalanche that ripped half my body off and nearly knocked me unconscious. Everything about the OP, I mean everything, makes you feel like you're flying. It's beautiful, even though a lot of the colors are muted and most of the imagery is of war. It is significant, yet underrated. But I will herald it as greatness, and that is enough.

Memories by Maki Otsuki
One Piece ED 1
One Piece has a special place in my heart. It was the first very fun anime I saw. It was weird, it was cool, it was like a kid's dream, but you couldn't really put it into words since you're a kid. This ED played for the first 30 episodes and I didn't recognize how much it meant to me until the 31st episode finished. In my younger years, I was often in a cold room, by myself, watching anime, and it was mostly something I did relentlessly to escape my troubled life. It was only after the 31st episode that I went back with great effort and read through the lyrics with honesty. It was about childhood and yearning for the happy past that was now lost; I nearly cried. Looking back, I now know that I've never forgotten Maki Otsuki's falsetto at "tsurete itte omoi de ga..."

Fish by Kaleidoscope
One Piece ED 6
I had never seen past 80-some episodes of One Piece, but I discovered this great tune while searching for a full version of Memories. It was bundled in a soundtrack compilation. Even though it had a Jimmy Eats World vibe, it sounded very honest and the repetitive buzz of the guitars was too addictive. It had an odd, comforting feel to it, and I've put it on repeat many a times.

Believe by Folder5
One Piece OP 2
The song is unbelievably corny, with its synthesizer aesthetics and goofy lyrics. It's trite. But it's damn catchy. It's a song that really grows on you, and now you won't let it go. In the end, you'll admit that the OP was pretty inspirational. My favorite moment is Luffy throwing a million punches, then a kick, then a punch. Damn, boy!

Hiru no Tsuki by Akino Arai
Outlaw Star ED 1
The use of a classical Japanese lute (I believe that's what it is) got my attention in a zap. I saw the broadcast on a television screen for Cartoon Network and from then on, I would know the name of Akino Arai, forever. I could go on endlessly about this song, its vocals, its instrumentation, but you probably understand me 100% already because I mentioned A) the title of the song, and B) Akino Arai. (Here's a link to help you out if you're actually clueless: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz1508RBx2w)

Cruel Angel's Thesis by Yoko Takahashi
Neon Genesis Evangelion OP
Don't deny it, this is one of the greatest OP ever made. The timing was immaculate. The visuals were stunning. The use of on-screen text in anime was groundbreaking. It was the first animated sequence that I felt like I experienced a brain ****, and it felt damn good. And the song is epic, just like the series. Hell, if this was one of your earliest anime, as it was for me, holy Beetlejuice you better had pissed your pants.

Kirei na Kanjo by Akino Arai
Noir ED
Noir was a very slow anime, almost transcendental when matched with its hypnotic music and high contrast. After each episode ends, you'll feel like you were meditating, and thus you'll be in a very vulnerable state. The director took perfect advantage of this by having Akino Arai take perfect advantage of your emotions with an unforgettable song, whose haunting lyrics, vocals, and acoustic guitar rung endlessly behind your eardrums every night thereafter.

Sobakasu by Judy and Mary
Rurouni Kenshin OP 1
The song's quirky composition and Yuki's even quirkier vocals make for an amazing song in an OP with simple visuals. But the animation gets recycled and caught in my mind somehow: the brooding images, the ambush and chain attack, the cute little girls, Sanosuke swinging his weapon, Yahiko turning his head... And then there it is, the echoes of Yuki's top-of-her-lungs singing.

What about you guys?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:47:40 PM by Tamashii »

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Great Anime OP/ED Themes
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 02:41:13 AM »
I daresay this thread belongs in the JMusic forum.

(A decent post to come).

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 03:11:37 AM »
Man, how I'd love to post about this topic. I'll do so... after this thread gets moved to the respective section.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 07:39:26 AM »
But it's about anime... and their opening/closing animations! Not just the songs! C'monz broz!

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 09:05:50 PM »
in b4 "anything by Yamakan."

If we're talking about excellent OP/EDs, one comes immediately to my mind.

Gun's & Roses
- Paradise Lunch
The Baccano! OP. Definitely one of the best OPs in anime history, in my opinion. The song fits the show 100%, and captures the spirit of the title, "Stupid Commotion." The animation is fluid and fast-paced, giving a sense of hustle and movement. I was blindsided with my two-second introduction to every single person in the main cast (sans one member, but that's another story), but as the series continued, I began to connect to each character, and felt a sense of familiarity with the antics of each member. In reality, the OP is a mini-episode of Baccano, and that sort of innovation is very rarely seen in other OPs.
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 10:31:41 PM »
Stuff I already agree with:  Aoi Hana, Cloud Age Symphony, Ride on Shooting Star, and Cruel Angel's Thesis.

May'n/Megumi Nakajima - Lion (Macross Frontier)

One of the most memorable songs from last year which featured an animation sequence that was a great display of the show's budget as well.  The chemistry is precise, the vocals are energetic and fun, and this comes from one of the best shows from last year (Imo).  In fact, I think it is crime to not include this since it has basically has too much going for it to not be considered.

KANA - Reason (Casshern Sins)

Not only were the vocals and technique right for the song, the more subdued colors and scenes is what makes this worthy as a more subtle compliment to Aoi Hana as well.  Where Aoi Hana had this live vibe filled with action while making Casshern look awesome, this showed a more delicate and peaceful side of the show quite well.  I was sad when this was replaced by the next ED since it was not even that good.

Satoko Shimonari - Transformer (Transformers G1)

This is my lulzy pick yet it is cool since there were some additional scenes featuring the Dinobots and some fluid action scenes in the 2nd version that made it better then the first.  Not to mention, nonsensical ways of using English with even a misspelling or two of a word like "mysterious" adds to why cheesy 80's themes like this are awesome.

Maaya Sakamoto - Kiseki no Umi (Record of Lodoss War T.V. Series)

I will never forget the closeup shots in the beginning with Parn and Ashram which kicked off an epic looking OP that also sounds great.  Both elements mesh well with each other and produce a dynamic piece of work as well.  Ironically enough, the animation quality for this OP is so much more expert then the actual episodes themselves, that there is a lot of shame to be had.  (And the series sucked compared to the OVA anyway.)

Origa - Rise (Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd Gig)

This song is more awesome then the OP of the first series and not to mention the animation sequence did justice to the sleek coolness of Section 9.  Not to mention, I thought it embodied what the show was about alongside the Cyberpunk genre thematics as well.

Two Mix - Rhythm Emotion (Gundam Wing)

The show is disgustingly awful, yet the OP features some of Two-Mix's most memorable work and the animation sequence did fit the bill of style as well.  Seeing the Zero System booting up before the launch of Wing Zero was cool.  So was seeing Epyon dodging a point-blank Buster Rifle shot in the face.

Mai Yamane - The Real Folk Blues (Cowboy Bebop)

I just can't resist since not only is the song sung quite well, but the black and white imagery with a grainy look to it was just too good to pass up.  Plus, it is Bebop.  Enough said.

MIO - Men of Destiny (Kidou Senshi Gundam Stardust Memory OVA)

The vibe and feel of this song with an animated sequence pertaining to a war drama makes this awesome.  Plus, the nostalgic sound of MIO who has appeared in a good number of stuff involving Sunrise mecha animes makes this even more enjoyable.

Masahiko Aramachi - Through the Night (Outlaw Star)

I actually liked the energy of the song and the actual animation sequence to go with it.  The candid shots of characters, seeing Gene Starwind run away from rockets in hilarious fashion, etc is fun, much like what the series is about.

T.M. Revolution - Heart of Sword (Rurouni Kenshin)

This was actually my favorite song from the Rurouni Kenshin series and I am mostly going with the first animation sequence due to its pacing.  The fact that it made Megumi look cool in action to prep for a surgery for a few seconds makes it a winner in my book.

Nightmare - Raison D'etre (Claymore)

Yeah, the song is not really my thing.  On the other hand, the presentation is badass since the Claymores look great and the fact that the scenes are fluid helps a lot.  Not to mention, the way Priscilla looked in her awakened form for just a few seconds was the icing on the cake.

There would be more stuf to note, although I think I did enough already.  Plus, I don't feel like typing out more.  Lol.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 12:41:38 AM »
Oh boy, now what do we do with the same thread in the other section?

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 05:03:29 PM »
@FSI

Casshern Sins: It's quite the contrary for me. I disliked "Reason" and really loved Kuno Shinji's "Hikari to Kage."

Lodoss War: All of the OPs and EDs for the series and OVA were great. Sherry's "Adesso e Fortuna" is my favorite. Its intro reminds me of Akino Arai.

Stand Alone Complex: The first ED in the original run, sung by Scott Matthew, "Lithium Flower" is the best of the bunch.

Gundam Wing: I remember Two Mix. I had a compilation of their songs. I listened frequently as a kid and thought, and still do, that they were superb.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 11:43:43 PM »
Origa - Rise (Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd Gig)

This song is more awesome then the OP of the first series and not to mention the animation sequence did justice to the sleek coolness of Section 9.  Not to mention, I thought it embodied what the show was about alongside the Cyberpunk genre thematics as well.
2nd GIG makes everything look cool; even artificial intelligence looks like fun in the series.

I think it's about time I list down my share (well, just some of it):

Sowelu - Moon on the Water (BECK)

Sowelu's "Moon on the Water" portrays adolescent life through a more serious standpoint, and embodies the ups and downs of it, in contrast to BECK's OP, Hit in the USA by Beat Crusaders. I can also that it sums up all the feelings you experienced as you watched Koyuki grow up from a timid boy to a grown young man and how his relationship with Maho both has its high and low tides.

MONORAL - Kiri (Ergo Proxy)

The somber mood, enigma shrouding everything in sight, the delicious artwork of the sequence; basically everything complements the great and vice versa. Same can be said for Paranoid Android by Radiohead, which is one of the best choices for an ending sequence for an anime.

Kenji Kawai - Kugutsuuta ura mite chiru [Making of a Cyborg] (GITS 2: Innocence)

One of the most hypnotic opening sequences for an anime of all time. I can't understand what is being sung in the song, but the haunting music and amazing CG animation of the cyborg embodies the complexity of a virtual world within the real world portrayed in the GITS universe.

Oasis - Falling Down (Eden of the East)

Talk about unconventionality. Here is a series where unconventionality is the name of the game and both the OP and ED are equally unorthodox, with a song by one of my favorite UK bands for the former and creative artwork in the latter.

Seira Kagami - Never (Kaiba)

One of the best songs for an opening sequence of all time, period. Seriously, I wept when I first saw the sequence, where the song embodies all the emotions portrayed in the story, from superficial anonymity to the loss and reunion of those dear to us.

micc - Kawaita Hana (Mahou Tsukai ~ Natsu no Sora ~)

Like Sowelu's "Moon on the Water", it takes a bittersweet view of life in contrast to the positive take of the opening sequence. A perfect way to end a series where both the ups and downs of adolescent life is explored.

Atari Kousuke - Natsu Yuuzora (Natsume Yuujinchou)

This song goes perfectly with the summer ambience of Natsume Yuujinchou. His voice remains to be one of the most unique I've ever heard in terms of Japanese music. This is the type of song you feel like listening to when you're looking at the setting sun.

Kourin - Aishiteru (Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou)

While "Natsu Yuuzora" embodies the summer ambience, "Aishiteru" embodies the winter ambience, taking a slow rhythm and complementing the ending sequence, where it shows how Natsume isn't as alone as he used to be in the first season. This is the type of song you feel like listening to when you're looking at falling snowflakes.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:25:12 AM by AC »

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 04:34:31 PM »
@AC

Ergo Proxy: I really loved the OP and thought about including it. But I only liked it up to halfway through the series, when the arbitrary, dynamic visuals of the OP seemed to hint at what's to come. None of my expectations were met. The song is great and how it is handled with the animation is perfect, but the OP is a bundle of lies ultimately. Call me biased, but I believe that an anime's context can make or break an OP/ED. As for the ED of the show, I felt that it was a bit out of place. Radiohead is a very popular band in our world, but they are playing a song for some odd post-apocalyptic mess. The lyrics matched the show's ideas somewhat. What was really needed was not only a song about alienation, but a song that is alienation itself. "Paranoid Android" took me out of picture, out of the suspension of disbelief. The visuals do nothing either and is just like the OP: arbitrary and ultimately meaningless.

Eden of the East: In terms of the visuals, the OP was pretty cool and in a similar postmodernist vein as Ergo Proxy. And you could at least discern some kind of meaning. The problem I had with including it in my list was that Oasis' song wasn't that good. If anything, I would have chosen "Futuristic Imagination" by School Food Punishment and the correlating ED animation. The deal breaker was that I just didn't like the anime enough.

Kaiba's OP looks great, wish I saw the anime. Maybe I will now.

I'm waiting for someone to say Witch Hunter Robin or Serial Experiments Lain. The only reason I didn't include them was because I didn't finish the series and felt it would be cheating (well, I didn't "finish" One Piece, but I got 80 episodes in!).

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 11:04:27 PM »
Well, Bana's "Shell" aka the opening song to Witch Hunter Robin is great if you ask me. I like how the slow rock complements the moody atmosphere portrayed in the series. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the ending song; maybe the Engrish rubbed me the wrong way.

If you're looking for some great One Piece OPs/EDs, I suggest D-51's "Brand New World" and shela's "Tsuki to Taiyou", particularly the latter. The former is what I believe to be their best opening sequence apart from the memorable "We Are~!" - vibrant, new and fresh. It describes everything about the light-hearted adventures the Straw Hat pirates are going on.

As for the latter, pay attention to the lyrics, because they remind me of how the pirates are always sailing around the world yet they can emotionally link with their loved ones back home (as portrayed in the sequence) by looking at the sun/moon. Very symbolic indeed.

Offline SantaBla

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 01:46:05 AM »

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 03:31:16 PM »
@FSI

Lodoss War: All of the OPs and EDs for the series and OVA were great. Sherry's "Adesso e Fortuna" is my favorite. Its intro reminds me of Akino Arai.

I would have to disagree with the TV series ED since there is nothing good or even appropriate when someone sings as if they were a chipmunk on crack.  And I have had to live through many of an abomination like that through Asian music in general my entire life.  I have no qualms about the other songs since they are quite good.  Funny enough, Akino Arai has done a cover of "Adesso e Fortuna" and you should probably check it out.

Stand Alone Complex: The first ED in the original run, sung by Scott Matthew, "Lithium Flower" is the best of the bunch.

I don't think I feel the same way even though the song basically tributes my favorite GITS character as a goddess with the message that every woman should be like her.  (A rather fruitless and impossible task).  Still, it humors me for the same exact reason(s) even with puns in the lyrics like "She is a number 9."

Gundam Wing: I remember Two Mix. I had a compilation of their songs. I listened frequently as a kid and thought, and still do, that they were superb.

The duo still performs only under the group name Two-Mix Delta nowadays.  Plus, their brand of music is still the same so you are not exactly missing much or anything.

@AC
That is how I feel about GITS in general which is one of the reasons why it is one of my favorite franchises of all time.   ;D

One new entry for me:

Juju - Natsu no Hana (Mononoke)

This is just a beautifully sung ballad and the scenes usually going on in the background to either end the episode or preview the next one is just satisfying to watch since Juju basically eases you into it.  Even then, because Mononoke features beautiful, virbrant, unique artwork, it still works out anyway.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 09:44:45 PM »
Now that I have to the time, I guess I'll dump my favorite J-rock/J-pop OP/ED.

Tank! by Yoko Kano
Cowboy Bebop OP

This is both the bread and butter OP of anime OP/ED thread.  Stylish, sexy and classy.  This is an instant classic.  

tori no shi by Lia
AIR OP

Though the visuals are generic, the song is exceptional.  This is what I consider beautiful music.

Lilium by Kumiko Noma
Elfen Lied OP

Hate the anime all you want, but I'll question your tastes if you did not like the OP.  It's an extremely evocative piece that both visually and audibly exquisite.  

Anna Ni Issho Datta No Ni by See-Saw
Gundam SEED ED 1

I love the sound of violin, and this instrument lays down such a strong beginning of what turns out to be fairly good Jpop piece.  

Reason by Nami Tamaki
Gundam SEED Destiny ED 1

The SEED tradition is to pan across a single picture for all of its ED, but I wished that they would have done more for this song.  I really liked it.  

Bokutachi no Yukue by Hitomi Takahashi
Gundam SEED Destiny OP 3

High energy, strong vocals and almost abusive synth.  I like to blast this music when I'm sprinting, doing pull-ups or just need to exhaust a spurt of pure kinetic energy.

Ash Like Snow by The Brilliant Green
Gundam 00 OP 2

Though I don't find any one part of the song, I do like the "mood" that it establishes.  Overall a strong piece.

Friends by Stephanie
Gundam 00 ED 2

I'm not gay, but I really like this ED both for its song and the angst-filled presentation of the Gundam pilots.  They fit so well together that I cannot deny their synergy.    

Hakanaku mo Towa no Kanashi by UVERworld
Gundam 00 Season 2 OP 1

I like UVERworld.  Their solid, high powered songs do so much for the playlist I use while exercising.  Much like the other Gundam 00 OP, this showcases the high quality of the fight scene this incarnation enjoyed.  I daresay that Gundam 00 had the best cel animated mecha fight scenes since End of Evangelion.  

Colors of the Heart by UVERworld
Blood+ OP 3

I find this OP rather fascinating given that Production IG is known for the super-detailed super-realistic visuals but it opts to go for a scratchy, crayon colored effect.  Given that you haven't heard of Blood+, the only way you would know Production IG made this is the extremely accentuated lip during the final moments of the OP.  

Days by FLOW
Eureka 7 OP 1

Before JIBUUN WO, we had this.  If making OPs ever become a textbook subject, this should be its poster child since it introduces the anime in a very straightforward but engaging way.  

Starless Night by OLIVA
NANA OP 3

Go watch all of NANA's OP/EDs.  They're all great.  Especially this one.

Kuroi Namida by OLIVIA
NANA ED 4

I love this song.  I can't understand a single word in this song but it still evokes emotions from me.  That's what I call great music.  

Vermillion by Chiaki Ishikawa
Bokurano ED 2

Believe it or not, Bokurano was not an emotional experience for me.  After only a few episodes, I closed my heart so thoroughly that watching the character's misery almost became an academic exercise that I pursued because I was fascinated at how the show could make its character suffer without resorting to torture/porn.  Yet, when this song first started halfway into the series I felt a deep sense of sadness.  Something that made the Bokurano experience complete.

Tabi no Tochu by Natsumi Kiyoura
Spice and Wolf OP

This is the second best thing to come out of the anime (the first being Horo by a long shot).  Soft, calming and a bit morose, Tabi no Tochu left a strong impression in me from the first time around to the hundredth time around.    

Hito toshite Jiku ga Bureteiru by Kenji Ohtsuki feat
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei OP 1.1

This is pretty much Shinbo's Masterpiece of OPs.  When I first watched this, this drop-kicked my WTF quotient so hard that I haven't been the same since.  

euphoric field by Tenmon feat. ELISA
ef~ a tale of memories OP 1.0

I like Tenmon.  I like him enough that I'm willing to forgive him for selling me 15 remixes of the same song in The Place Promised in Our Early Days.  I like Shinbo.  I'm willing to forgive him for taking his penis, pressing it against my eye and violently thrusting against it.  Therefore, I like this OP.  

Discotheque by Nana Mizuki
Rosario+Vampire Capu2 OP

This probably ranks in the top 10 things Gonzo has done right.  The music is generic as hell, but the visuals are incredibly stylish.  As much as I hate to say it, "bravo".

F.D.D. by Kanako Ito
Chaos Head

I am rather fond of the music by Kanako Ito.  she is known for the now infamous Kanashimi no Mukou e and in general working on great opening songs for eroges such as Chaos Head and Saya no Uta.  This television OP continues this tradition.    

Hero's Come Back!! by Hero's Come Back!!
Naruto Shippuden OP 1

It's been a long time since I considered anything in Naruto badass. This OP is badass.

Shut up and Explode by BOOM BOOM SATELLITES
Xam'd OP

I recall reading (relatively) universal praise for this OP on 4chan, and I am more than willing to go along this train. 'Tis energetic but unique.

PS I didn't know that the television version of Xam'd had a different OP and different ED.

Gun's&Roses by Paradise Lunch
Baccano!OP

Copy paste my quip about Cowboy Bebop.  It's that good.

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni by Eiko Shimamiya
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni OP

I admit, this gets major points for it's uniqueness.  Higurashi is the first non-hentai/guro anime that fused horror and moe which led to an experience like no other.  The OP was a major source of curiosity for me back when I first started watching this anime.  

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 08:41:36 PM »
Let's see. Let's see. I'd have better things to say. But too tired right now.

Mizu no Hoshi he Ai wo Komete by Hiroko Moriguchi
Zeta Gundam 2nd OP

An older song. But still a good one. Proof of why this 80's series is still a classic.

Realize by Nami Tamaki
GUNDAM SEED 4th OP

I admit I really liked GUNDAM SEED. For all its flaws, it did so much right, especially in its music department.

Resolution by Romantic Mode
Gundam X 2nd OP

I really wish this group had done more anime openings. As for the visuals, they capture the theme of taking the future like few others.

No Need for Promises by Maaya Sakamoto
Escaflowne OP

I'm ashamed that I've only seen about a third of Escaflowne. But that aside, this is the song that started Maaya Sakamoto's career. And it started it on quite the high note. The background accompaniment is especially effective at putting one in the fantasy frame of mind.

Hoono no Sadame by Tetsu
Armored Troopers VOTOMS OP

The slow haunting lyrics and animation that takes a thoughtful look into Chirico's mind really do a number that makes up for the low key visuals.

Itsumo Anata ga by Tetsu
Armored Troopers VOTOMS ED

Similar to the above mentioned. But this one sometimes makes me want to let go a few tears.

Sorairo Days by Meg Rock
Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan OP

Talk about putting one in the right state of mind. I'd elaborate, but it would be redundant.

Yasahii Yoake by See-Saw
.Hack//Sign ED

Finally, a non mecha related one. I haven't had the heart to finish this title (BEE TRAIN needs a proper slapping and a lecture about proper pacing). But that doesn't keep this song from being any less beautiful. And the use of the flute only makes things better.

Tobira no Mukou e by Yellow Generation (Couldn't find a link, but you've probably all heard it)
Full Metal Alchemist 2nd ED

/thread

I am Waiting for You by Michiru Akiyoshi
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 2nd OP

Just for the audio alone(especially since it's in perfect English), this is my favorite of the LoGH openings.

Must be Something by Hitomi Konno
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 4th OP

Compared to the previous one, this song is very engrishy. But that doesn't change the fact that it, along with the visuals, epitomize Reinhard's journey. And even if his and Yang's main character positions were surrogated to Reuental and Julian for much of the season, it's still nice to see the character arc of the man we've been witnessing from the beginning come full circle.

Zessei Bijin by the Zetsubou Shoujotachi
Sayounara Zetsubou Sensei OP

Much like any OP or ED from Zetsubou Sensei, it captures the insanity and chaos of the series itself. But this one wins even more for having 80% more Nozomu.

--

More to come when they come to mind.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up