Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 12:28:56 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sasameki Koto  (Read 7493 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Sasameki Koto
« on: October 10, 2009, 06:38:39 PM »
1:

YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI YURI

Believe it or not, I think I prefer the way this one has started out to that of Aoi Hana.  Instead of me fretting with the idea of one of the characters actually becoming a lesbian, it's fairly well established from the beginning that the reality is quite possible.

As for the episode itself, I admit it was somewhat pedestrian, but the "what a tweest!" end was okay.  We'll see how this one goes.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Sasameki Koto
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 09:28:02 PM »
2:

Wow.  Talk about your twists.  I did not see that one coming.  I probably should have.  But I didn't see that one coming.  It took Sumi longer for the irony to come crashing down on her head, but her reaction was pretty good.

Y'know what's hilarious?  I should have seen it coming.  In the back of my mind, something was nagging at me.  Ever since this character showed up the first thing I'd been thinking was...

Well, the spoiler thing aint working, so I'll just say it.... "Mako-chan".

Thus... it appears my nagging subconscious was trying to tell me something.  It was trying to prepare me for the utter surprise.  Awesome.

At first I thought this show was pretty good.  By the start of this second episode I was concerned it was going to turn into a "Kazama falls in love with the cute girl of the week" and "Sumi gets to pine away being the good friend".  About midway through this episode, I thought I had it all figured out.  I mean, this scene right here:

The first thing I thought was:

Well you get the idea.  Harsh.  Cruel.  Unfair.  I had it pegged.

Then the rest of the episode happened, and I felt much better.  The twisted circumstance was just the antidote I needed.

This show is now win.  Thank God!  We found a good one in this season of drivel!

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:25:32 PM »
Just watched ep 1.

I quite liked that.  I've always been partial to the yuri genre, but this kinda takes Aoi Hana's idea of existing in a universe where there are prominent male characters (which is rare for a yuri anime) one step further by actually setting itself in a co-ed school.  And they're using it quite well.  It throws a wrench into the works, since there's always this "more accepted" option lingering over any homosexual relationship.  To be a lesbian in this sort of setting, with the added pressure of heterosexuality being considered more "normal", you really have to prefer girls and not just be "playing around".  Everyone is assumed straight, unless they say otherwise.  Already, both main characters have boys who are interested in them, which makes their relationships that much more complex.

I haven't read TIF's post on the next ep, but I'm looking forward to finding out what this big twist is.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 01:03:51 AM »
WATCH IT WATCH IT
WATCH IT WATCH IT
WATCH IT WATCH IT
WATCH IT WATCH IT
WATCH IT WATCH IT

NOW!

Considering your take on the first episode, you will enjoy it.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 09:46:27 PM »
3:

Sumi is probably the best straight man (girl) with glasses since Yomi in Azumanga Daioh.  You do feel for her a bit, but at the same time the timing of everything is just so damned hilarious.  I can see why these two are friends.  They're a riot when they play off each other.  And yet, I d'awwed at the "kissing" scene.  Poor Sumi was so into it considering the sillyness of the situation.

I feel even more sorry for poor Akemiya.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 06:08:30 PM »
7:

Whoa.  Akemiya has officially lost it.  Considering his situation, I can't really blame him from getting completely befuddled enough to try something like this.  Still, Jesus Christ mate.  Desperation doesn't even begin to describe it.  He does make a more moe woman than Sumi does, which is apparently going to continue being a running gag and theme here.

Sumi, btw, has gone from pitiable character to flat out frustrating.  I mean, you did feel sorry for her situation, but after all this if she's not going to do anything, well just shut the **** up already. 

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 07:30:58 PM »
I'm only up to 5, but I'm having a bit of trouble really getting into this.  The pacing seems somewhat staccato, particularly at a conversational level, since there are these fairly regular awkward pauses, but, out of the four main female characters, I don't find any of them particularly likable.  They're all rather shallow in their own way.

I love the OP, though.  It's a serene piece that sets a good tone for a "real" yuri anime.  (I can't remember who coined the term, but someone came up with a divide in the yuri genre of "real" yuri, ie, titles like Aoi Hana which are more subdued and grounded and believable, and "super" yuri, ie, titles like Strawberry Panic and Kannaduki no Miko which are more fanciful, as analogous to the "real" mecha and "super" mecha divide).  I don't know if I'd really call this a "real" yuri title, though.  It has elements of "real" yuri, but it does have this strange ability to ramp itself from zero-to-crazy in a fairly short amount of time.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 08:59:40 PM »
I don't like using terms like "real" Yuri and "real" Mecha.  That's the kind of thing that leads to otaku elitism.  "You're watching THAT?  That's not Yuri!".

Then again, I've seen some real off kilter mecha shows... so...

I think the shallowness is supposed to be there.  Kazama is 100% shallow, which is the source of Sumi's strife.  Sumi, though, has a pretty tunnel vision thought process herself on what she wants in a "likable" mate (pardon the term).  The other two lesbians should never have been introduced to the show.  They're absolute pain with no redeeming qualities.

I'm afraid to say this, but I think this show could use more characters to offset the annoying ones.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 09:40:33 PM »
I fell way behind on this anime and only got around to watching the last six episodes over the last couple of days.  And, I'm really glad I did, because the second half is way better than the first half.  The characters become a lot more believable and likable, the pacing isn't quite so awkward and inconsistent.  It becomes much more enjoyable and fun and rather charming as well (which I think it was going for to begin with).  The ending is really open, but I think it fits.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 10:28:44 PM »
It really petered out for me.  I ended up not caring about anybody.  At all.  Most of the side characters annoyed me and they weren't given any development whatsoever.  What started out as a quirky lesbian themed anime became rather stagnant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up