Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 01:44:53 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood  (Read 89583 times)

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
« on: April 05, 2009, 07:56:29 AM »
Episode 1 (RAW)

This is an episode that introduces a bulk of the characters, their motivations and their various personality quirks.  Since the episode crams so darn much into one episode, the flow of events feel awkward, and the various gags don't feel quite as charming.  It's as if the creators were checking off a massive "things to do list", and creating a plot around this list. 

The change in Seiyuu works for the side characters, but I miss the old character's voices since they've come to grow on me.  Oh well, with Miki Shinichiro switch (Kurz Weber in Full Metal Panic!), Roy Mustang is an even smoother talker, which I suppose works.  From what I've heard from the the commercials, the only voice I'm probably going to have a problem with is probably Scar.  I loved the deep, pounding voice of the original actor and I wonder if the new one will fit the bill quite as nicely.  I suppose I should cut my losses and be happy that at least they've kept Hughes and Armstrong alone.

Overall, this episode makes me wonder if they are even going to go over the Lior arc and the train arc at all since all important information for those story lines have already been introduced.  It would be interesting to skip over the parts where the manga and the anime overlap, but I wonder if there is enough material in the manga to truly do this.  I suppose time will tell.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:23:06 AM »
First person that whines about the ending animation gets pinched.  Caused a minor and stupid shitstorm amongst the fanbase last night when it aired.

Seriously people.  Nobody cares.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 02:15:38 PM »
It looks like BSS/GG and Shinsen are going to sub this despite the fact that Funimation acquired the license and rights to the show.  So, that is a pretty nice thing to know, especially since both groups have done quality stuff before.

For the episode, the animation is better then the original anime and it was quite nice to watch.  It also seemed a tad quick paced in its delivery.  Although, I actually feel differently in this being a pretty good introductory episode myself.  I think the staff felt that people already knew a good deal about FMA so that they could use this as the debut.

Vocal-wise, I don't like the OP especially since it reeks of the mediocrity or worse heard from Gundam 00.  The end theme is actually not too bad itself since it was rather listenable and already better then a lot of recent anime themes.  But, I didn't think much of the animation sequence for the ED since it kind of brought back memories of when I used to watch Stick Figure death animations online.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:45:45 PM by Flash Sword Irene »

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 04:05:07 PM »
I guess I'll be the only one waiting for Funimation to upload the eps. I think my current backlog and Shin Mazinger should keep me busy for a few days. Now if only that would be subbed already.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 03:12:44 AM »
Keep in mind that it wasn't until about the third episode of the first series that we got the first really strong indication that FMA was going to be a lot more than just a decent shounen action series.

My question after watching this is, how many episodes is this series going to be, because this did feel hastily thrown together.  It's gonna take a bit of time to get used to the new seiyuu as well (minor quibble).

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:53:50 AM »
ANN states that it will be 13 episodes, although this sounds a little preposterous. I reckon it's longer; it has to be. Plus - my own quibble - I've been hearing people saying that this isn't as good as it turn out to be (although just one episode) but are they honestly judging it based on the first season, or on its own merit? If it's the former, then they need to revise their perceptions.

And I actually like the opening, it fits the series somewhat... or maybe it's just my inner Yui fan speaking.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 03:47:19 PM »
Right now my guess is that the first 13 episodes will whiz past everything the original anime did for the first 20 to 30 episodes and go straight to the Greed arc after a few more introductory episodes (or perhaps a condensed version of the first 20 to 30 episodes followed by the Greed arc). I'm guessing this because Greed was introduced in the OP, and this arc is where the anime and manga really start to diverge. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:15:11 PM by Shadowmage »

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 09:04:38 PM »
I would not be surprised if there was a second season or more to the series due to sheer popularity alone.  Not that it would be a bad thing since some animes work best in those kinds of doses.  At the sametime, I would also guess that the anime is going to stay strictly faithful to the manga, so the 13 episode announcement is not suprising in that regard either.  The manga as far as I can remember is still unfinished and not even close for that matter.  I am not even sure if the thing reached 100 chapters yet either.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 09:45:44 PM »
ANN doesn't actually say anything about an episode count, so I'd say that either 26 or 52 are still reasonable guesses.  The unverified word on the street is that the manga will finish after 100 chapters, and that's expected to happen sometime during the course of the anime, whether it's 26 or 52 eps.

Offline zzeroparticle

• NEET
  • Reviewer
    • Google+
    • zzeroparticle's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with zzeroparticle using Skype
    • Steam Community :: zzeroparticle
    • @zzeroparticle
    • http://blog.animeinstrumentality.net/

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 12:48:23 AM »
A bit slow it seems since I just got around to watching it.  Nice way to put us in the middle of things, but far too many short jokes in that timespan in the very beginning.  It was becoming lame until the action finally got under way.

Oh well, I wasn't paying attention to the content of the episode as much as I paid attention to the music.  If anyone had any doubts about Ooshima not being on board, I think the first episode gives us a hint of how well Senju can hold his own.  Now pardon me while I go into fanboy mode and listen to some of his past works...

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 01:19:16 AM »
I dunno if I'm sold yet because I wasn't really too pleased with the episode as a whole. Too many characters were introduced in only 20 minutes and the whole ice alchemist thing was pointless. Also, that whole ice alchemist thing is a misnomer because if he were an ice alchemist, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be able to boil shit. Last time I checked, ice was cold.

Oh, and the OP was phenomenal, I don't know what you guys are talking about.

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 01:53:41 PM »
Episode 2

Last time I remembered, it took a few episodes to develop much of Edward's path to becoming an Alchemist.  Surprisingly enough, Al and Ed's mentor was already mentioned and shown despite the fact that she made an appearance way later on in the first anime.  This does stick to my point for the debut where the writers more or less assume the people viewing this show already know a great deal of the material beforehand. 

It is still a lot to cram into one episode and I am guessing that this will be expanded upon in a future episode.  Looks like Lior is going to be covered once more with the fraud priest or whatever.  If I had a nitpick, the way Ed's arm and leg came off seemed far less violent then the last time.  I think had those been completely ripped apart, it would have had more convincing effect.  Still, that trip through the portal or whatever was a lot trippier then the last time, especially when they revealed that vague figure that had appeared before. 

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 02:58:26 PM »
Episode 2

If I recall correctly, in the manga, the train hijack, Nina arc and Scar introduction happened right after the events at Lior.  I don't believe that there ever was a alchemist test arc, which explains why the anime covered that now... though I have no clue why they didn't just start the story at Lior.   

Anyways, this is pretty much a weaker version of episode 3 of the first season.  I don't know if it was due to the faster pacing, weaker directing or simply the lack of the song Brajita, but this one didn't seem as impacting as the first.  Regardless, Bones is really going to have to pick up the pace if they want to finish the manga's plot in 50 episodes.   

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 12:17:55 AM »
Please tell me I'm not the only person who doesn't like the cinematography. Why the hell do they keep zooming in so much? I did think it was pretty awesome how in depth they went on the ****ed up mom transmutation and already bringing the Gate into the story.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 06:04:08 AM »
Episode 2

If I recall correctly, in the manga, the train hijack, Nina arc and Scar introduction happened right after the events at Lior.  I don't believe that there ever was a alchemist test arc, which explains why the anime covered that now... though I have no clue why they didn't just start the story at Lior.   

Anyways, this is pretty much a weaker version of episode 3 of the first season.  I don't know if it was due to the faster pacing, weaker directing or simply the lack of the song Brajita, but this one didn't seem as impacting as the first.
I noticed this as well.  How can they tell the brother's backstory and not play the song "Brajita".  It's just like... uh, so much weaker without it.

As far as the pacing is concerned, I think it's too fast.  I think they're not giving anywhere near enough time to let the ideas develop.  Take Izumi's appearance for example.  If it's going to be another twenty odd episodes before she appears again, what's the point of her turning up in this episode.

I think now is a good time to point out that the director of this series isn't the director of the first season.  At first, I thought he was the movie director, but he wasn't even that.  I'm not sure what the intention with this series is so far, but "impact" doesn't seem to be high on the agenda at this stage, as much as delivering a Cliff's Notes version of the source material.

Edit: No *spoiler* house burning *spoiler* scene as well.  Did that come later or have they skipped it.  Because that was one of the best scenes in the series.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13  All   Go Up