Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 01:00:43 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood  (Read 89592 times)

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 03:02:05 AM »
I love nazis.

:(

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 01:12:47 PM »
Maybe if this adaptation did not do such a good job at making the original look that much better, then there might not be comparisons in the first place.  Thus far, light-heartedness and bad jokes have proven themselves to be completely instrumental in creating an inferior piece of work.  Not even counting the fast forward button or that the manga actually sounds bad from what Shadowmage has alluded to. 

Episode 6

I hate how simple, yet bad jokes are taken and stupified even worse in this series.  (Al stuck in the cart of sheep.)  Not to mention, the part with Marcoh shooting the gun still shows that serious parts are going to be impeded upon for no reason at all.  Armstrong is still a character I will never get used to since he is just completely awkward.  This part was never my favorite since I never liked Winry in the first place, so I am just glad this episode is over.

Somehow, I thought there was a part where Armstrong decides to take on both Al and Ed once they were repaired.  Even if that was not the case, I am glad it was omitted since it was rather stupid, even with the message of unity between the two brothers.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2009, 05:53:48 PM »
Not even counting the fast forward button or that the manga actually sounds bad from what Shadowmage has alluded to. 

Now, now, I never said it was bad.  It is quite excellent relative to other shounen manga, but it's not quite as good as the first anime.  To keep explanations short, it's best to think of the first anime as a drama with shounen elements, whereas Brotherhood is a shounen series with drama.     

Episode 6

Not bad.  Since this episode was pretty much something to push the plot forward, there really isn't all that much to say except that obligatory "original was better" quip.  (Since the manga is a montly syndication, I understand why the author would want the brothers to meet Marco (by pure luck) as opposed to them following a trail of rumors in order to track the man down.)

Oh yeah, as for some mild spoilers, Roy didn't kill Winry's parents (making him a less fascinating character), and Marco has no real ties with Roy (making him less fascinating as well).   

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 05:09:30 AM »
Oh yeah, as for some mild spoilers, Roy didn't kill Winry's parents (making him a less fascinating character), and Marco has no real ties with Roy (making him less fascinating as well).
Wait, do you mean in the manga, or in this anime?  Because I didn't see any indication that was the case from this episode.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2009, 09:44:43 AM »
Wait, do you mean in the manga, or in this anime?  Because I didn't see any indication that was the case from this episode.

In the first anime, Marco was a fairly important character who educated the brothers about Ishabal massacre, thus broadening their view of the world, and also fleshing out Roy. Notice how in this version is Marco just exists for half an episode to push the brothers to the secrets of the philosopher's stone.

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 10:04:16 PM »
Episode 7

I have no appreciation on the consensus taken regarding how to make an episode involving Sheska more annoying today.  The atmosphere and drama built up to each part in need of it was dashed instantly with the flow totally smashed every time.  When the part displaying Al and Ed's gruesome discovery becomes hard to care about within a frame or two, something is quite wrong.

Plot and story-wise I have no problems with where its going at least.  Honestly, I don't know which explanation on why the Central Library met destruction was preferrable.  Either way, things seemed satisfying enough to me minus the terrible flaws behind the episode.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 01:25:23 AM »
I am dissapoint.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 08:16:05 PM »
Episode 7

Well crap, my worst fears seem to have been confirmed. 

From what I've I've seen for the last seven episodes, I'm coming to the temporary conclusion that Fullmetal Alchemist is a project outside the league of director Irie Yasuhiro. I was willing to forgive him for the last few episodes since the guy was quite frankly condensing vast amounts of material into short time frames, but for the first time, he had a full 21 minutes to cover around 40 pages of material... and he botched it.  Yes, the whole revelation that the philosopher's stone is made out of humans isn't all that dramatic if you already know what's coming, but so far this show is pretty much incapable of sustaining even a thin veneer of tension or drama.  I don't really recall ever being fully immersed in this series except perhaps the first episode where I was drugged up on nostalgia and I had no reference point to make comparisons.   

It takes 40 minutes to read a volume of the manga.  There are around roughly 21 volumes for around 840 minutes of reading.  Assuming this anime goes for fifty episodes, there are 43 episodes left.  So in short, save yourself an hour and three minutes and get a more rewarding experience by reading the manga. 

Oh yeah, and to do a bit of deprogramming from the first series, the alchemy circle for the philosopher's stone is not some massive, complex shape.  It's a literally just a pentagon with a circle around it. (This is a piece of imagery that's shown numerous times during the first few minutes of every episode).

Quote from: Flash Sword Irene
Honestly, I don't know which explanation on why the Central Library met destruction was preferrable.
In the manga, back when Ed and company meets up with Marco, the final pages show Lust forcing Marco to tell her where his research is hidden (thus implying that she burned it down by the time Ed finally arrives).   
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 08:26:37 PM by Shadowmage »

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2009, 03:50:40 PM »
Episode 8

Things were more interesting in the original when Ed and Al knew about Barry after encountering him in an earlier time.  This is one of those differences from the manga that I can not say I like.  Even then, the episode was still ruined by the same damn things that keep killing this remake.  If this episode was kept 100% serious the entire way, then it would have been awesome.  Even Hughes managed to become more aggravating in the process. 

So, I wonder how many episodes until things start to show the real direction of this anime?  It should probably be within a few I am thinking.

Offline Thot

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2009, 09:26:33 AM »
If this episode was kept 100% serious the entire way, then it would have been awesome.
[...]
So, I wonder how many episodes until things start to show the real direction of this anime?  It should probably be within a few I am thinking.
If they continue to closely follow the manga, it'll be quite a while till the jokes really start to subside.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 02:26:25 AM »
Episode 8

Things were more interesting in the original when Ed and Al knew about Barry after encountering him in an earlier time.  This is one of those differences from the manga that I can not say I like.
That's a good point.  I'd forgotten that there was an entire episode dedicated to Barry the Chopper before they encountered him at this point in the original anime.  Arguably it's only a small thing, but it's one that makes the encounter in this episode slightly more meaningful.

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 04:09:29 PM »
Episode 9

Winry is a cancer to the show and unconvincing as someone to snap Al out of his somberness after the last episode.  Hopefully, she actually dies off in the manga since she should meet her end alongside Hughes (another cancer) next episode.  It also looks like Ed and Al's teacher makes a random appearance as a passerby today.  If there was anything that saved today's episode it is the voice acting for Scar since that was well done to build up tension and foreshadowing on its own.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 09:29:55 PM »
Winry is a cancer to the show and unconvincing as someone to snap Al out of his somberness after the last episode.  Hopefully, she actually dies off in the manga...
Yeah... She is actually a major character in the manga rather than someone who just comes and goes.

Episode 9

Decent episode.  It's vastly inferior to the first incarnation, etc.  And we should be getting to the Greed arc after Hughes gets put out of his misery, Ed, Al and Winry go to Rush Valley, and they meet their teacher.   

Offline smacharia8

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2009, 12:40:45 PM »
I for one didn't like this episode much. I feel like they could've done a better job in setting the mood, both for the brothers' confrontation as well as Hughe's family. It seems like they can't get the emotion through all the way, or maybe it's just that visualizing the manga for myself delivers more for me. Anyways, I'm glad they didn't forget to capture Izuru and her husband in the background when Winry arrived.

I usually list the chaps used at CB but since they're down I'll put the current ones here for reference...
Episode 09: ch13p30-ch14p1-5, ch14p11-p19, ch16p26-p39
- Bunch of stuff omitted/shrunk again
- Preferring the manga and original animation more n more...

Those who think
they know everything
annoy those of us who do.

Bleach Direct DL (ENTIRE SERIES in AVI/MP4/RM)
- Club Bleach
- Bleach Forums

Flomp-Rumbel
- Main
- Direct Download
[/color][/font]

Offline kirarakim

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2009, 11:21:08 AM »
Decent episode.  It's vastly inferior to the first incarnation, etc.  And we should be getting to the Greed arc after Hughes gets put out of his misery, Ed, Al and Winry go to Rush Valley, and they meet their teacher.    

Shadowmage I think you are awesome so don't get me wrong but how was the last incarnation of this episode better? Okay I am going to respect that people do not like the SD faces (and maybe they have been overdoing them a bit in this series, although I think that is a minor issue). But I don't see how storywise wasting almost an entire episode of Al running away and then hanging out with an Ishbalan Kid and Scar (you know the guy who previously tried to kill Al's brother, I can just feel the brotherly love) was well written. And then when they finally did resolve the brother's issues they do it as an after thought in the middle of a battle. Here they allowed Ed & Al to have a real heart to heart and in the end if anything there relationship grows stronger. And personally I loved the bit of Winry literally bashing sense into Al. Although Winry felt like she couldn't connect to Ed & Al, she really understands them better than she gave herself credit. But I love Winry so more Winry is always a good thing for me.

Oh and as for Barry the Chopper while I did highly enjoy episode 8 of the 1st anime where he was first introduced. The first anime's rendition of Barry the Chopper after that was absolutely horrendous. One of many characters ruined by the 1st anime for me.

Anyways not as good as the manga but miles better than the 1st series for me, except for maybe when it comes to music. I did love the 1st series OST. But this series' music is improving. The music playing when Hughes & Winry were talking was just gorgeous.

On another note episode 7 did not cover 1 chapter (40 pages) it covered almost 2 chapters so more like 70 pages. It covered all of chapter 10 and most of chapter 11. Every episode except episode 4 has covered more than 1 chapter. The next episode looks like it will cover the end of chapter 15 and chapter 16 (plus it looks like they will be adding a few scenes from a flashback chapter that in the manga doesn't happen until Vol. 15).

In the first anime, Marco was a fairly important character

He was? You could have fooled me. It seems like another character the first anime had no idea what to do with. Any character could have told Ed & Al about the Ishbal massacre. I guess that makes the character that did tell them a more important character because of this role in the manga. Oh but wait but that character and Marcoh both do more in the manga besides tell characters about the Ishbal massacre.

And as for Roy despite the one difference you talked about he is still a more developed and fleshed out character in the manga because he actually grows and changes. Just because a character isn't shown to be EMO and suicidal doesn't mean they are not developed. Roy was one of the few well written characters in the 1st anime (well until the movie) but his manga characterization is still 100 times better. And as for being less fascinating you seem to ignore what role he did play in Ishbal.

And sorry guys someone has to be the anti 1st anime voice around here. Don't take it the wrong way I do respect all of your opinions I just don't think the 1st anime is as good as some people make it out to be. It had some great moments and episodes, interesting themes and great atmosphere. But to me it failed in terms of plot and characterization and I just think the manga storyline is miles better.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:06:05 AM by kirarakim »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13  All   Go Up