Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 18, 2017, 07:28:33 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood  (Read 90833 times)

Offline zzeroparticle

• NEET
  • Reviewer
    • Google+
    • zzeroparticle's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with zzeroparticle using Skype
    • Steam Community :: zzeroparticle
    • @zzeroparticle
    • http://blog.animeinstrumentality.net/

Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 08:40:05 AM »
I noticed this as well.  How can they tell the brother's backstory and not play the song "Brajita".
Presumably because Michiru Ooshima didn't compose the soundtrack to Brotherhood.  I'm not sure how music licensing works, so I don't know whether they can freely use Ooshima's compositions.

Besides, Senju's doing a fine job so far.  :P

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 03:57:50 PM »
I've reread a part of the manga, and it seems that my recollection isn't all that good.  There was indeed an alchemy exam in the manga and it happened exactly as the the anime portrayed it.  Episode 2 was pretty much a condensed version of chapters 23 and 24.  Considering that this flashback happens after Ed and Al meet with Izumi, why Bones chooses to cover this part of the story now is beyond me. 

Edit: No *spoiler* house burning *spoiler* scene as well.  Did that come later or have they skipped it.  Because that was one of the best scenes in the series.
That scene was the last few pages of chapter 24.  I think they may have skipped it for good, but then again, they can show it any time in the future.

Quote from: Flash Sword Irene
If I had a nitpick, the way Ed's arm and leg came off seemed far less violent then the last time.  I think had those been completely ripped apart, it would have had more convincing effect.
Actually, the visuals for that scene (and 95% of episode 2) were damn near exact transitions from the manga.  Also, for a technical reasoning, it seems that anything that is broken apart or created by alchemy are made up by rectangles (ie you can see plenty of these on the weapons Al creates).  At one point, Ed comments on how he can see the residues of alchemy by pointing out these rectangles on a wall.   

Anyways, I've read up episode titles on ANN. If my guess is correct...
Spoiler for Hiden:
we'll be seeing Nina and Scar very, very soon

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 01:06:52 PM »
Episode 3

How the hell did they manage to do that entire arc in virtually one episode?  Not only that, the producers need a serious remedial course on moderation with comedic elements as they hindered the entire episode inappropriately by shoving it in almost every facet.  Also, did Cornello transmute himself into some sort of monster in the manga?  I think the original anime had a more fitting conclusion and much better execution with details overall.

If there is that much of a rush to get into the manga material not covered in the original anime, I guess there will be more episodes like this one.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 01:43:10 PM »
Quote from: Flash Sword Irene
Also, did Cornello transmute himself into some sort of monster in the manga?
No, he went down hard after the rebound, and he is finished by Ed's wrath of God.  Rose doesn't actually shoot anyone either.  She hides inside Al and finds out that the Priest is a fraud.

Episode 3

Wow, who directed this episode?  It was absolutely horrible.  Seriously, cut back on the dramatic angles, chibi form and screen splits; the content here is strong enough that you don't need them.  Also, I do realize that Bones is working on a schedule, but they need to slow down.  They should get rid of the frivolous content and give more time to the dramatic moments to let the ideas sink in.  The art was absolute trash as well, and I'm surprised that Bones would actually release something so mediocre so early into production.  Yes, there was far more movement here compared to the original television series, but I prefer the dark, well defined art of the first; that actually had something known as atmosphere.

Plot-wise, I like what the manga and the original anime did better, but I don't have anything against what happened in this episode save Cornello's final transformation. The scene where Rose started to raise the gun with such dramatic ado (only to point it at Al) made me laugh, but nothing else stood out. 

Looking at the episode preview, it seems that they are skipping some of the earlier story lines and going straight towards Nina.  The train hijack is no real loss, but I think that the Youswell story was important (It's the story about the miners who were unfairly taxed by a domineering ruler).  Okay, the people introduced in the chapter are not all that important and the idea that not everybody likes the military is not all that critical to the future storyline, but I believe that the message that Ed and Al value their home is fundamental to understanding the brothers (or at the very least, it helps me to empathize with them). Also, what about Yoki? Who doesn't like a slime-ball dog of the military who taxes his people into severe poverty?     

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 08:43:21 PM »
I think this episode might have had more impact if you watched it at 1/2 speed.  Seriously, how rushed was that.  The only thing that redeems it is that Lior wasn't all that interesting an arc to begin with.

Offline zzeroparticle

• NEET
  • Reviewer
    • Google+
    • zzeroparticle's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with zzeroparticle using Skype
    • Steam Community :: zzeroparticle
    • @zzeroparticle
    • http://blog.animeinstrumentality.net/

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 08:54:06 PM »
Well, even if you do let this show stand on its own merits instead of comparing to the first season, it's still moving at a horrendously fast pace.  1/2 speed seems to be about the right pace and had the arcs presented so far been spread over to two episodes, I don't think there'd be any issue.  As things stand, the way this series progresses feels really bipolar because of how rushed things feel.

Still reserving judgment once they get to the fork in the proverbial road, but so far, it's only slightly above average.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 10:38:13 AM »
Episode 4

Okay, I'm willing to wipe part of the slate clean and pretend that episode 3 doesn't exist.  This episode was a good adaptation of the Nina chapter, and I hope they keep this up.  The only "problem" I had with this episode is more of a personal preference than a serious complaint.  I wish they didn't show Tucker clinging onto the his State Alchemist Watch at the end.  This is not just because it's not in the manga, it's just that without that scene Tucker's intentions become more ambiguous (and in my opinion more interesting).  By having him cling onto it so dearly, it makes it seem as if Shou Tucker's actions were largely due to the State Alchemist qualification, and thus make it easier to conclude that this was his root of his evil.  Personally, I like how the manga did not not give any one strong reason for his actions, and let the State Alchemist exam be merely a catalyst to his actions, not the primary cause.     

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 12:47:53 PM »
Episode 4

Scar's introduction was quite nice along with the fact that they showed his eyes rather early.  I still dislike the comedic elements as they should be abolished entirely.  Honestly, I hope there is none of this during the next episode where Ed and Al battle Scar.  As for the episode itself, I did not mind since it was watchable.

Offline kirarakim

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 01:21:11 PM »
Drops in from lurking:

I still dislike the comedic elements as they should be abolished entirely.  Honestly, I hope there is none of this during the next episode where Ed and Al battle Scar.  As for the episode itself, I did not mind since it was watchable.

Well I am going to warn you right now that the comedic elements will not go away. The manga is way less dark and melodramatic than the 1st series  and is much more about hope (although the 1st series had plenty of humor as well which people seem to be forgetting). That does not mean there are no serious/dark moments in the manga storyline, really there is a very good balance between both serious and comedy moments. And when the mood is supposed to stay serious it stays serious.

So if you expect there to be no comedy in this series or expect it to have the same tone as the first series then you will be disappointed.

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 08:42:16 PM »
The imbalance is what bothers me most due to how intrusive said comedic elements detract away from either the momentum, atmosphere, or mood of the series.  Mishandling such a thing to the point of becoming disparaging means a remedial course or abolishment altogether.  It is one thing to have bad slapstick comedy that will not impede an episode's progress.  It is another when it becomes a complete detriment and eyesore.

If the manga actually handles the balance quite well then that is fine if it translates.  Thus far, I have yet to see anything that suggests otherwise.

Offline kirarakim

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 04:11:41 AM »
The imbalance is what bothers me most due to how intrusive said comedic elements detract away from either the momentum, atmosphere, or mood of the series.  Mishandling such a thing to the point of becoming disparaging means a remedial course or abolishment altogether.  It is one thing to have bad slapstick comedy that will not impede an episode's progress.  It is another when it becomes a complete detriment and eyesore.

If the manga actually handles the balance quite well then that is fine if it translates.  Thus far, I have yet to see anything that suggests otherwise.

Well then you are a little hard to please. Because there was no comedy that intruded on any emotional scene in this episode. Yes there were comedic elements when Ed & Al were playing with Nina. But those moments are supposed to be light & happy. It's not like Ed suddenly turned Chibi when confronting Tucker. If that happened I could understand your complaint a bit better.

But yes there are comedic elements during the Scar fight not necessarily when Ed & Al fight Scar but certainly afterwords. Just warning you!

On another note the mood of this series is not supposed to be as dark as the last one.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 03:17:55 AM »
I'm seriously getting fed up with how they're zooming in and giving these ridiculous close-ups all the time.

As for the pacing, I think a big reason why it seems like it's flying by is because they're completing entire arcs in one episode. In the first FMA they could wrap up in arc in the time it took for an episode to elapse but they stretched it to be the ending of one episode through the beginning of the next episode so there was that week of development in the viewers imagination. Of course, now we know what happens but I still think that it would work a lot better than just cramming everything into an episode. Actually, all  the episodes so far could be watched as standalone OVAs. :/

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 01:42:03 PM »
Episode 5

Best episode until Roy's fiasco where things went downhill from there.  The original anime had that moment, yet handled it far better.  The fact that end moment between Al and Edward became less endearing and cheap due to the humor was almost a total disaster.  At least the part with the brief explanation on the Ishbalans made up for things in the end, slightly. 

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 12:43:44 AM »
Maybe our expectations are too high considering the first season was so wonderful. :/

Offline kirarakim

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 09:58:17 AM »
Maybe our expectations are too high considering the first season was so wonderful. :/

Maybe :)

But I certainly don't think the first series was all that wonderful. It had its good points don't get me wrong but it also had plot holes, annoying characterization, too much melodrama, and a lame ending with Nazis.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13  All   Go Up