Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 11, 2017, 04:18:25 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fragile  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Godai

• Maison Ikkoku
  • Ex-Reviewer

Fragile
« on: February 09, 2009, 02:24:14 AM »
My friend purchased this recently. It's things like this that encourage me to pick up my Japanese book and damn my country of origin! Unfortunately right now there's no plans to bring it over to the States =(. Looks beautiful though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7HFO37RtwI

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Fragile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:06:31 AM »
I'm interested in it from the point of view that there's a real dearth of RPGs for the Wii, which is something, if one believes the hype, that could well change in the next few years.  The trailer doesn't especially spark my interest.  They could have put more gameplay footage in the trailer, I'm usually far more interested in gameplay in console games than I am in story.

Offline Godai

• Maison Ikkoku
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 03:36:24 PM »
I agree. If they came out with more RPGs like this in the States I might actually be compelled to buy a Wii. I've kind of lost my faith in Nintendo in recent years. The only reason I bought a N64, and a gamecube, and someday a Wii - Zelda and Smash Bros.

I love the soundtrack too!

Yeah, the game play really isn't anything too worth mentioning. But story is the fundamental concept that makes RPGs what they are!

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 09:47:46 PM »
I kinda disagree with that.  I'm still not convinced that console video games are a pertinent medium for storytelling.  It's one thing for visual novels (which aren't really "games" in the traditional sense), but as soon as you introduce a gameplay element, you need to work the story around so the gameplay has a point, which puts limitations on what type of stories you can tell in video games.  This is kinda why I got to a point where I couldn't give a rat's about story in video games, as long as it has good gameplay.

Maybe this is me showing my casual gamer side, but I love my Wii.  I'm currently playing Super Mario Galaxy, which is probably the best game I've played in years.  Twilight Princess is also excellent (even if there were a few little things that bugged me), and there are a whole slew of games that I'm looking to pick up in the near future.  Even Wii Sports has a surprising amount of longevity.  I'm still playing it almost every other day.  And the rumour mill kinda suggests that third parties are growing more interested in the Wii, which could mean a crapload of good games coming to the console in future years.  I'll admit I'm a total Nintendo fanboy, but I'm pretty happy with the Wii.

Offline Godai

• Maison Ikkoku
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 07:17:39 PM »
Well Zelda -does- pertain to the story line. I mean, granted, its more game play than story thats making the games the way they are.

But take something like Metal Gear Solid 4! Amazing storyline, and game play, while still entertaining, definitely takes back seat. Yet I don't think the story, including the prequels, would be so defined in any other medium.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:12:25 PM »
The story in Zelda games are an afterthought.  They usually make the gameplay mechanics before coming up with the story.  That's why they generally follow a similar formula: find gems in dungeons, rescue Zelda, ???, profit.

I haven't played any of the MSG games, but a lot of people criticize them for having way too many cutscenes, and not enough gameplay.

Offline zzeroparticle

• NEET
  • Reviewer
    • Google+
    • zzeroparticle's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with zzeroparticle using Skype
    • Steam Community :: zzeroparticle
    • @zzeroparticle
    • http://blog.animeinstrumentality.net/

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 11:35:59 PM »
I kinda disagree with that.  I'm still not convinced that console video games are a pertinent medium for storytelling.  It's one thing for visual novels (which aren't really "games" in the traditional sense), but as soon as you introduce a gameplay element, you need to work the story around so the gameplay has a point, which puts limitations on what type of stories you can tell in video games.  This is kinda why I got to a point where I couldn't give a rat's about story in video games, as long as it has good gameplay.
I know you're generalizing here, but I'd highly recommend taking a look at Final Fantasy Tactics (the first one that came out on the Playstation) as it's got the best story of any RPG that I've played.  The scope of the conflict is absolutely awe-inspiring and the story is heavily political and deals with some serious issues.  Granted, we're talking the best of the lot here, but if there's one game you should play for the storyline, it'd be that one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up