Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

November 19, 2017, 09:17:41 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39]   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 141841 times)

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #570 on: September 12, 2017, 08:18:32 PM »
Ocean Waves(again):

Still my favorite Ghibli film by a good margin. Zero criticsms.

Hana to Alice(2004):

Oh No! It was shit...insofar as it wasn't what I wanted.

While Hana really retained her design with the rotoscoping Alice provided quite the disconnect. They did get Hana's house perfect.
What a mess. Much like the animated film, this was all over the place. Apparently, this began as a series of individual shorts, and such an intended structure really shows. This felt like a collection of various independent scenes; some powerful, some just shit. There is also a fascinatingly ****ed pseudo-amnesia(in that a character suffers a mild brain injury and those around said character lie about certain events leading the aforementioned character to question everything about his memories((when in actuality nothing is missing/displaced. people are just taking advantage of his injury to misinform him)) seemingly thrown into this series of sequences for little reason.

The first 20-odd minutes were great, it had both the Hana-Alice dynamic I love as well as Hana being weirdly endearing. Sadly, the rest of the film contained very little Hana-Alice interactions. Towards the end it even goes full-retard and Hana and Alice have a literal fight for no reason. The two are competing for a boy neither one of them knows shit about...not even the boy knows who he is.

The sequence involving Alice's father was clearly reproduced verbatim in the animation. Kinda sad seeing as the scene, while being oddly standalone(much like n this movie), was well done and served to further inform Alice's character.

Dave!? That's my name...when I allow a shortening(I hate my name regardless). So If I just go to Japan I an catch the fancy of an Alice?

The way Alice apologizes, with her fingers pressed upon her nostrils, was very much her. Great character moment.

What Alice says regarding the Ace of Hearts: what it implies(she quotes her father, who may have cheated on her Mom, in such a way that she is mirroring his very actions). I may be conflating the cheating Father from Ocean Waves.

Tuns out Hana has always been ****ed. I do lke that sapect pf her character.

Also Alice is randomly a model. And she sucks, diegetically. But somehow keeps receiving callbacks.
The secretary(?) woman at the end was so ****ing beautiful. I question all this time spent watching cartoons. The "butterfly stroke" girl was also top-tier.
I'm no dance critic but that 3-minute dance sequence was underwhelming as ****. Perhaps, had the move cultivated some sort of narrative or character arc, such a scene could have been truly impactful. I had honestly forgotten ballet was vaguely a thing with these characters. This after they had even forcibly drudged it up like 2 scenes prior.

And it concludes with Amnesia seemingly having had no lasting presence and served no purpose. Hana and Alice are just bff's again and he isn't even mentioned. 

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #571 on: September 13, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »
Suki ni Naru Sono Shunkan wo.: Kokuhaku Jikkou Iinkai:

Apparently Zutto Mae Kara Suki Deshita.: Kokuhaku Jikkou Iinkai(which I oh so meaningfully commented upon on the previous page) extends beyond its own shallow collection of rom-com scenarios.

I guess gaiboi got his own film.
I dont remember the first film in the slightest. They seem to be greatly overexaggerating the impact the first would have

Well ****. The OP is suggesting a needless 3rd party dude. Why? If I'm not mistaken, what I praised that made the first film work so well was its brisk pace and avoidance of oppressive bullshit.
"Oh here comes generic love triangle girl"...wait she snt interested in "default loser guy(who is secretly main guy)"?

Clearly the older siblings of these character are important...I vaguely remember the design of the older sister but I have no idea about the elder brother.

So gayboi get ****ed again?
gaboi always the plot device

What a mess.
Vague Spin-off(or sequel)/10
the idea that characters are left in the wake of a previous narritive is quite nifty.
52minutes just for her to half confess then somehow back down? How is such a sequence of events even possible?
O damn. Turns out gaiboi was above it all to begin with
why even bother with his character at that point?
How m any times can you cuck the same character?

Post Credits.
And gaboi truly never mattered.
the ****?
that ntr final shot.

Too drunk and this was too insubstantial to bother to parse my thoughts. This, in whatever form the original exists, is getting an anime release in the coming months. Happy Days.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:35:38 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #572 on: October 17, 2017, 12:16:06 AM »
Blade Runner 2049

There are two basic styles of SF films: The slow and majestic style (2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Trek: The Motion Picture [1979], Alien [1979]) versus the fast and furious style (Star Wars, Alien 2 [1986], Star Trek [2009]).  It is sort of like the difference between classical music versus rock-and-roll.  Like the original 1982 film, Blade Runner 2049 is very much on the classical side and is the best SF film of this type that I have seen since Space Odyssey.

Its slow pace might be why this amazing SF film is bombing so badly at the box office, despite having an 89% rating at Rotten Tomatoes.  I suspect that under-30 film goers will simply not sit still for a 2 hour 45 minute slow-style SF film that requires the audience to think about what they are seeing.  "Who needs a plot, dude? We want moar explosions!"

Simply put, this is the best SF film I've seen in years.  It is difficult to review this complex film without spoiling it.  I won't drop spoiler tags because the plot twists are just so jaw-droppingly good (the characters drop their jaws too in-story).  Try to go in cold and avoid reading any spoiler reviews before you see it.

Much of the dialog is contextual and/or has hidden meanings until you go back and think about what happened earlier. (Probably another reason the bubblegum audience hates it.)  Tip: Look for a certain small object (you will know) and watch carefully the facial reactions of the several people who see it or are told about it.  It is critical to the plot.

Many fans were hoping that this film would answer the question of whether Deckard himself is actually a replicant or not, a debate has raged among SF geeks for decades, with Ridley Scott himself flip-flopping, and the different theatrical versions going one way or the other.  (Personally I think Deckard is human otherwise the original film would have made no sense with its 'more human than human' thesis that Roy Batty at his death was actually more human at that moment than the unfeeling real human Deckard who was chasing him.  Ridley Scott switched to 'yes' in later theatrical cuts just because he thought it was cool even through it wrecked the plot, IMHO.)   Blade Runner 2049 threads the needle by keeping it deliberately ambiguous by making the plot work either way (which was an amazing hat trick).  So go with whichever answer you like, I guess.

There are some shocking acts of violence and an above-average number of scenes of nekkid female replicants/holograms running around. Not for kids.

The visuals, oh my, they are stunning.  Try to see it in IMAX.  The soundtrack complements the visuals wonderfully and does proper homage to Vangelis' original slow electro-synths.  (In the IMAX theater I was in they blasted some low-frequency square-wave-ish notes too loud and it hurt my ears. Might be a sound balance problem.) 

This film *needs* to be seen on a big screen, so hurry and go see it before it disappears from theaters.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #573 on: November 09, 2017, 09:13:34 AM »
Gyakusatsu Kikan:

O damn. I thought this film was in Limbo and had been abandoned with the fall of Manglobe but here it is. This is the third and final adaptation of a work by the the late Project Itoh. The 2 previous adaptations of his work, Empire of Corspes(lame extrapolate of Frankenstein) and Harmony(lame derivative Ghost in the Shell), were garbage so little hope here.

This movie could not do character animation for combat sequences. Jesus Christ. Whenever a character engaged in any form of CQC it was the stiffest, most awkward thing imaginable.

Project Itoh, in so far as I can understand him through others' adaptation of his work, is the kind of writer more interested in ideas and expressing ideas through isolated conversation than actually establishing a cogent, cohesive narrative wherein fully-fleshed characters organically discuss ideas they would reasonably hold. Meaning, he writes like a teen/undergrad who thinks his base-level ideas are revelations(or at-least interesting) and doesn't understand that ideas are worthless if not the result of genuine character who are intern the result of story. Philosophically driven narrative is hard. If you want to discuss ideas, write a treatise. If you want to create a story which discusses those same ideas you need actual character and proper story. The story cant be just a vehicle to justify a succession of  "2 characters in the same room converse" and the characters can't just be mouthpieces emptily speaking ideas at one another. Learn to theme.

So yea, it was shit. No surprise there.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:19:25 AM by Zeitgeist »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39]   Go Up