Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 06:32:24 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 140656 times)

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #540 on: December 10, 2016, 09:10:30 PM »
I think Canada's okay. Please ignore the guy holding a gun next to me. I like Canada.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #541 on: December 10, 2016, 09:57:19 PM »
Canada's my jam, and it's great yo. You want a quiet place to do whatever, be our guest.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Kubi

« Reply #542 on: December 19, 2016, 03:25:42 PM »
Got hooked on Terrence malick films. Namely knight of cups and to the wonder. He walks the line between pretentious and mind blowing. I side with the latter, but depending on who you ask you'll certainly get mixed reviews. The best way I can describe his films are that they don't seem to be conceived with pen and paper at all, they feel like a piece of his soul was ripped out and thrown on the big screen with some of the best cinematography around. If you're looking for a clear cut plot, bad guys/superheroes, or obvious resolutions, look elsewhere. If you want something deeply engaging on an emotional level, something to think about, these are for you.

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #543 on: December 19, 2016, 05:44:10 PM »
Wow, Collateral Beauty was a great film. Such a good film about grief. Such great plot twists. I guarantee that you'll be crying by the end of it all. I cried so much, the tears were coming out of my mouth instead of my eyes. Don't watch Manchester By The Sea, because that movie depicts believable human beings who demonstrate actual emotion and emits tones that are synonymous and accurate to said emotions. That's depressing. Movies about grief shouldn't be depressing - they should be uplifting and hopeful! Yeah, go watch Collateral Beauty instead, so you can watch Edward Norton do absolutely nothing interesting or even remotely relevant to the film's storyline. Maybe you'll learn a thing or two about the collateral beauty you're giving up in the time you spend watching this movie.

Seriously, though, what the f*** is "collateral beauty" even supposed to mean?

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #544 on: December 31, 2016, 02:10:20 PM »
Silence (2016)

Scoring 90% at Rotten Tomatoes, Silence is a Martin Scorsese film based on the 1966 novel of the same name by Shūsaku Endō, one of Japan's major writers in the post-WWII era.  As a youngster Endō was ostracized for his family's Christian beliefs and he suffered ill health for most of his life. He died in 1996.

Silence takes place in the early 1600s with the Tokugawa Shogunate's brutal persecution and eradication of Christianity from Japan.  The faith went underground and was kept alive by word-of-mouth by the kakure kirishitans.

Wikipedia sums up the plot of the novel:

Fr. Rodrigues and his companion Fr. Francisco Garrpe arrive in Japan in 1639. There they find the local Christian population driven underground. To ferret out hidden Christians, security officials force suspected Christians to trample on a fumie, a crudely carved image of Christ. Those who refuse are imprisoned and killed by anazuri (穴吊り), which is by being hung upside down over a pit and slowly bled.

Rodrigues and Garrpe are eventually captured and forced to watch as Japanese Christians lay down their lives for the faith. There is no glory in these martyrdoms, as Rodrigues had always imagined only brutality and cruelty. Prior to the arrival of Rodrigues, the authorities had been attempting to force priests to renounce their faith by torturing them. Beginning with Fr. Ferreira, they torture other Christians as the priests look on, telling the priests that all they must do is renounce their faith in order to end the suffering of their flock.

Rodrigues' journal depicts his struggles: he understands suffering for the sake of one's own faith; but he struggles over whether it is self-centered and unmerciful to refuse to recant when doing so will end another's suffering. At the climactic moment, Rodrigues hears the moans of those who have recanted but are to remain in the pit until he tramples the image of Christ. As Rodrigues looks upon a fumie, Christ breaks his silence: "You may trample. You may trample. I more than anyone know of the pain in your foot. You may trample. It was to be trampled on by men that I was born into this world. It was to share men's pain that I carried my cross." Rodrigues puts his foot on the fumie.

Scorsese has been trying to make this film for 28 years.  What is interesting is that the film is getting strong positive reviews from both religious and non-religious reviewers.  (I did a double-take when I saw a good review at Vox of all places.)

I have not yet seen the film because it has been given a limited release only in Los Angeles and New York (for Oscar consideration maybe?).  Hopefully the film will get a wider release later this winter.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 02:24:03 PM by HuuskerDu »
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #545 on: December 31, 2016, 04:15:33 PM »
Hey! I read Silence in college.

Maybe I'll finally be able to be one of those "the book is better" people.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #546 on: December 31, 2016, 08:00:34 PM »
Don't know if I've ever posted in here, but I watched two movies in flight during my trip to Italy.

Finding Dory

PIXAR movies are amazing; I don't know how an animation studio can make me cry so consistently. But Finding Nemo isn't one of my favorite movies. It's great but on an emotional level it didn't really click with me. Finding Dory is great too but I felt that it was too rushed. One event happened after another so rapidly that I felt the movie is running out of time. I thought that 96 minutes as its duration in the description was short, and I felt that too after watching it.

But there's PIXAR written all over it and it's still great in its own way.

Room

Oh man, this movie is rough. No doubt it's a phenomenal movie: a novel loosely based on a true incident in Austria being adapted into a movie, about a boy and a mother held captive in a garden shed for 5-7 years and lived to see the world. Just from the synopsis (and from the things I've heard from various sources), I knew that this isn't going to be a pretty movie.

And pretty is the last thing I would use to describe the story. It's gritty, visceral, intimate and ultimately cathartic. It's paradoxical too: it's only intuitive to say that the two are living in hell for being trapped in a room for years, yet from the precious moments they've shared in there, they still learned how to find some solace. Ironically, when they got out and became free, they feel trapped again by the uncertainties of the big world. Their precious times get spread out and they end up feeling more separated precisely because of this new freedom.

It's ugly but beautiful.

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #547 on: January 12, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »
Rogue One

I'm gonna break ranks with everyone and call this movie...okay. It was fun with some great set pieces. But if it weren't for the last space battle, I would have found myself dozing off. I like the idea of telling a non traditional Star Wars film in the Star Wars universe. But it was at the expense of what made those films so great, chiefly the sense of wonder at the alien environments and the comdraderie amongst the main characters. This just felt like going from set piece to set piece without enough time to connect with anybody or let the stakes sink in. The music played into that too. It had the grativas of a John Williams soundtrack, but its impact was lessened by a lack of diversity in mood or style. As for all the scenes with the Empire, they gave me what I wanted every time, tension, character, sense of scope, time to breathe. And the final space battle should be the standard that other action movies try to reach.

Sof Ha'Olam Smola (Turn Left at the End of the World)

A movie about the frustrations of Moroccan and Indian immigrants in a small town in the middle of nowhere, both with their circumstances and between each other. I've seen this move twice already and it's slowly becoming one of my favorites. The movie does an excellent job at showing the descent in status at the onset of immigrations, the lingering resentment, and the undying sense of dignity mixed with a splash of self denial. There is an undercurrent of misanthropy throughout, especially when matters of ethnicity are involved, but the humor gives the movie enough levity to make everybody sympathetic even as they are horrible towards one another. If I could complain about anything it's only that because the movie is in four languages, it is a little annoying to have to switch between listening and substitutes, sometimes mid-conversation. Although, bonus points for taking such a beautiful setting and making it so fundamentally desolate.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:09:00 AM by Kavik Ryx »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #548 on: February 02, 2017, 05:47:30 PM »
Tropic Thunder

The one movie that always leaves me in stitches. There are always movie that offends, but very few effectively and successfully does it as a satire. And Robert Downey Jr. here is better than all of his Iron Man movies put together... although the spotlight is mostly on Tom Cruise a little too much.

Hacksaw Ridge

The thing about war movies is that it can easily fall into mediocrity very easily. I have a few guilty pleasures in war movies - Black Hawk Down is always my go-to action war movie - but love him or hate him, Gibson has done a good job with this movie. I love the balanced juxtaposition between a love story for first half of the movie, and a war story in the second. Same goes for the balance between light-hearted moments peppered throughout an otherwise serious movie.

Will this movie win Best Picture at the Oscars? I highly doubt so; it's a solid movie but it's hardly groundbreaking (even Arrival stands a better chance at winning it). There are many movies in the category I haven't watched yet, namely Machester By The Sea and Fences. Then again, I never always agree with the choices of winners.

Offline Kaikyaku

• Reviewer

« Reply #549 on: February 11, 2017, 03:38:44 PM »
Manchester by the Sea: I'm not sure what to say about this movie. It's a weird case where all the pieces were individually great, but I walked away really never wanting to see it again. The acting was superb. The story was compelling. The cinematography was excellent. Even the music was well done. But I didn't like it. I'm not even sure I can really explain it. I left the theatre feeling terrible. The story played out in a way that felt very real. It just made me feel awful. Considering the rave reviews its been getting I'm sure I'm in minority, but I could only recommend this movie if you are looking for a kick to the gut. It's not just that it's sad. But it's not that it's entirely hopeless either. It's more that some things will never be ok.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #550 on: February 11, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »
Manchester by the Sea: I'm not sure what to say about this movie. It's a weird case where all the pieces were individually great, but I walked away really never wanting to see it again. The acting was superb. The story was compelling. The cinematography was excellent. Even the music was well done. But I didn't like it. I'm not even sure I can really explain it. I left the theatre feeling terrible. The story played out in a way that felt very real. It just made me feel awful. Considering the rave reviews its been getting I'm sure I'm in minority, but I could only recommend this movie if you are looking for a kick to the gut. It's not just that it's sad. But it's not that it's entirely hopeless either. It's more that some things will never be ok.

I tend to think art is great when it can provoke these sorts of emotional responses in you. There are movies we never want to see again precisely because of how gut wrenching it is. In many ways I was happy it didn't have that fairy tale ending. It was real, and so raw. Sometimes life doesn't leave us with hope and they didn't go for a cheap ending here.

It'll be in the same category of stuff for me like Grave of the Fireflies. Something I'll never want to go through again, but goddamn the experience is powerful.

Offline Kaikyaku

• Reviewer

« Reply #551 on: February 11, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »
Ya. I probably just need to digest it a little more. With something like Grave of the Fireflies it felt like tragedy was needed to show how terrible war can be. With Manchester by the Sea, I haven't yet figured out the why yet, other than that it simply is.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #552 on: February 12, 2017, 06:35:07 PM »
Slumdog Millionaire

It's a feel-good movie for sure, and I can understand why it won Best Picture at 2009 Oscars. I admit that the movie does well with the theme of destiny and the surrealism that comes with it. The plot doesn't sound plausible at all, but that's the whole point, right?

I don't always agree with the winners of Oscars and for this one, I'm not sure if I can. It's hard for me to say because I haven't watched the other Best Picture nominees yet but intuitively, I feel that the movie won a lot of awards only because there weren't really strong contenders in other categories (I think winning 8 awards is a bit much in this case). Plus, the movie's use of the Indian slums, a rather novel setting, as the background works as a big novelty.

iirc, Sorrow-kun once mentioned that Frost/Nixon should have won in his books but Slumdog Millionaire won only because it's the 'safe choice' among the judges. I don't know for sure, but I'm been interested in watching Frost/Nixon ever since. Still haven't had the chance to watch, though.

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #553 on: February 12, 2017, 08:21:57 PM »
Manchester is not a happy film. It's not an experience you bring popcorn to, hoping to be entertained in one form or another. You go to watch Manchester By the Sea for perspective. The kind of perspective that makes you want to leave the theatre - not because it's untrue or obnoxious, but because it's so damaging, honest, and involving. Manchester is a movie that actually grabs you, and makes you feel the grief and guilt of its protagonist. It doesn't just slap you with some depressing details. It makes you want to understand what's so depressing about them, and understand just what it may be like to have such feelings. Nobody wants to be Manchester's protagonist. They don't want to be there for two hours, and they don't want to be there for ten years. But some people are in that seat, and this may be a good examination of what that life is like.

Some people watch films to relate. Others watch to empathize. You watch Manchester for the latter. Hopefully you learned something from the experience.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #554 on: February 21, 2017, 06:39:47 PM »
Kokoro ga Sakebitagatterunda:

Ya know, I wanted to supplement my useless commentary, included below, with something akin to an actual review....but the movie was just such such garbage I couldn't be bothered. By no means is this movie worth the 2hr run-time. Sadly, this movie just reminds me why I dont actual venture into the land of anime film. That while my MAL has something like 400days /watched, not even 1% of that is movies. 

Spoiler for inane drunken commentary:
Movie opens with the most generic voice over.

Lawl and the dad brings the heat. blaming the 7(?) year old for his failings.
this is hilariously overthetop

How does this small town even have a love hotel, let alone one styled by Disney

I find it interesting that the 2 mute character in anime, that i know of off the top of my head, both look similar. These characters being Jun from this film and Shion of Shion no Ou. They share a cute diminutive innocent design. Such daughteru bait.

I do like the random baseball kids backstory. Koshien and Japanese high school baseball is insane. Makes the NCAA look tame; well I suppose its the same shit just with even younger kids being exploited.

I have yet to read or see Koe no Whatever but I feel this was the more farcical version. ie shit version

"I kind of get where she is coming from. I mean, there are things that I cant say either"
   -36minutes in
      I suppose this is thematic core of this shit-film.
         I just dont see the merit in this conceit.
I dislike the whole "4cast memeber, 2 guys 2 girls, let's pair em off".
   It's inoffensive but nonetheless obnoxious.

40 minutes in and now we're getting into some more human drama.
   The baseball kid is understandable
   the mom seems to blame Jun in some way. Sure the Japanese shame culture is strong and she wouldn't want the neighbors thinking less of her family but there was definitely some animosity from her towards Jun. I mean if Jun never mention the adultery, she could have been none-the-wiser and life could have gone on as was.

The scene in the hospital was just "too anime."
   this private confrontation being layed bare in front of all relevant cast members was just painful
      but yo gotta advance the character dynamics

"Words can hurt. You can never take them back."
   -52minutes in
      Seems like an ultimately lesser theme

Watching this just makes me wish Fune wo Amu was all the better. Why did that show have to be so mediocre. Thats the real tragedy here.

I do like what was more than likely the time when the MC-kun's parents died was just glossed over. Well, not so much glossed over but utilized in a far more subtle and effective manner than expected. The scene with him and Nito was pretty great.

The more scenes which involve Baseball-kun, the more I realize how much I would love a movie solely about him and his specific struggle. That anime film exist?

WAIT WHAT.
   HIS PARENTS ARENT EVEN DEAD?
I suppose the mutual kids of divorce is....a thing....but aint none of this relevant to the main duos dynamic.
Knowing he had/is suffered similarly I with MC-kun emoted more when he first heard the tale of MC-chan. Though I woulda bitched about that anyway

Strange choice to have an insert song begin a montage at what should be an emotional realization accompanied by the established main song "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"
   I suppose theyre saving it for the climax.
                By strange I of course mean dumb

WELL I GUESS I KNOW WHY THERE IS STILL HALF AN HOUR LEFT.
   Seriously, since about 50minutes in we have had a clear understanding if these characters and their motivations. For the last 30 minutes ive been sat here wondering "How is there still an hour of run time?" and it would seem they finally decided to shit the bed and cause romantic tension to allow for one more branching narrative.
   Why couldnt everyone self-actualize and pair off amicably?
   I dont give a **** about Nito and her feeling for MC-kun or MC-kun hitherto,though apparently very real, feelings for Nito.
      This is just a shitty Tsubaki-Kaori>Kousei thing

"I want you to take Naruse's place"
   lawl the gutpunch. I jut wish MC-kun was the one asking.

Well atleast the ridiculous Disney-themed Love Hotel is out of business. Though that doesnt excuse it's existence. Seriously wtf.

I still hate this conceit. Is magic real? Is this just some metaphor?
   Well they confront it and it was hilarious.
      "I just want it all to burn. Me. Everything."

I dont know what they were going for with that "words of truth" scene but it was massively underwhelming.
   I assume they were wanted something like "As bitter as she was she ultimately had far more words of praise than vile."
      or some such nonsense

OMG.
The confession scene made it all worth while.
   quite the literal LOL
   Rem forever the cuck.

The mother still blows. So the daughter didnt play the lead? what about the fact that the entirety of the play thus far was a lazily veiled metaphor for her daughter's trauma? nah, I'll just leave.

Hearing Minase Inori singing the climactic song was quite cathartic. Not that the movie earned any emotional resonance or payoff.

OH SHIT.
   They tricked me and subverted the arbitrary pairings.
Wel i'm glad ****boi Oreki-clone didnt end up with Naruse.
I still want that Baseball-kun film.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39   Go Up