Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 18, 2017, 03:54:29 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 143348 times)

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #525 on: August 04, 2016, 05:50:04 PM »
From Up on Poppy Hill:

So by-the-books Ghibli; especially the intro sequence.
Wait.
Incest? WHy.
Conveinent Resolution? Can one say such a thing if it pertains to reality?

The leads are a bit too mature. From how Umi dutifully undertakes her matron role to Shun's immediate understanding/acceptance of the incest implications the two of them were nothing short of perfect.

Enjoyable.

Redline:

Pardon my potential ignorance, anime films need to be more viscerally indulgent.  Too many anime films go for something "artsy" or pontificate on the nature of the human condition. Id love to see more blockbuster-esque films from anime.

Does that mean you didn't like it? Felt Redline was too artsy?

Oh I enjoyed the sh*t out of Redline. I want more anime films from such a vein.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #526 on: August 04, 2016, 08:32:32 PM »

Redline:

Pardon my potential ignorance, anime films need to be more viscerally indulgent.  Too many anime films go for something "artsy" or pontificate on the nature of the human condition. Id love to see more blockbuster-esque films from anime.

Your freshly baked cookies are in your mailbox.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #527 on: August 05, 2016, 09:21:50 AM »
Nerawareta Gakuen:

Oh shit. Mouryou no Hako aka My favorite anime of 08...off handedly. The man, apparently, directed Grimgar. ...but I cant glean a style from these offerings.
Whats with the lightning? Crystal prism? SO it all exists in a dream? Such meaningless nonsense.
Anyway, so they took what would have otherwise been a mediocre single cour narrative and made a somewhat beautiful, if a bit visually visually over the top, movie. I like this. Im on-board for more such movies.
it was fun until the explanations started.
I love Natsuki
did Seki just use light-years as a measure of time?

I hated the animation.

Redline:

Your freshly baked cookies are in your mailbox.

I literally haven't the foggiest as to what this means.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #528 on: August 23, 2016, 06:33:54 PM »
Sausage Party:

It  was meh. So many of the critics talked about how it wasn't just a juvenile comedy and that it was "smart". It had like two thoughts to it,and it beats you over the head with them. Otherwise most of the jokes were just Seth Rogen thinking anthropomorphic food dropping f-bombs was the funniest thing ever,along with a lot of lazy stereotype jokes. Had some clever gags,otherwise it was pretty mediocre.

Titan A.E.:

The definition of bland. It has no imagination to it at all. It had a bunch of setpieces that didn't flow together. Then the mixture of 2D and CG animation didn't work at all,on top of the CG just looking terrible and being unfinished at points.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 07:34:23 PM by themaster20000 »
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #529 on: September 01, 2016, 06:01:35 PM »
Title: Kubo and the Two Strings

Scoring 96% at Rotten Tomatoes, this animated film is a powerful Japanese folk tale about family ties, the importance of memories and of telling stories, and of sacrifice.  Despite what you might have heard this is not a 'downer' film.  (It has a happy ending if you are an adult.)

Beautifully animated using stop-motion photography (YouTube) and limited CG, it is a shame that this film had grossed only a pitiful $7.8M on its opening weekend (Aug 26-28).

Go see it now before it disappears from the big screen.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #530 on: November 06, 2016, 04:51:16 PM »
Dr. Strange

Cookie cutter Marvel origin story. Which can be good and bad. Good because the graphics were beautiful. Bad because the villain was generic boring, the MC underdeveloped, the magic system barely unexplained, the action oh-so convenient, the lines were ready-made.... Not worth my money.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #531 on: November 06, 2016, 07:38:34 PM »
Dr. Strange

Cookie cutter Marvel origin story. Which can be good and bad. Good because the graphics were beautiful. Bad because the villain was generic boring, the MC underdeveloped, the magic system barely unexplained, the action oh-so convenient, the lines were ready-made.... Not worth my money.

The movie is actually disappointing in terms of the story, albeit understandable. It wouldn't set the bar too high for itself because of the upcoming Marvel movies i.e. this movie is just a step towards something greater. An introductory movie for the titular character, so to speak. Special effects are well, visually spectacular.

A side thought: since many people compared this to Inception, was it as groundbreaking? I hardly think so; I've always thought that there is no directional ingenuity in any of the Marvel movies because of this unbreakable rule: no director is bigger than Marvel Studios. I always feel that Christopher Nolan owns his movies, but never for any director for any Marvel movie (I bet many people can't tell who directed what Marvel movie).

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #532 on: November 06, 2016, 11:20:53 PM »
I would agree with that, especially with Joss Whedon telling Marvel Studios to **** off.  Weirdly enough, Whedon has no credits in Doctor Strange, but a number of people I know who have seen it said there was a number of "Whedon dialogues" in it, which felt "out of place".  I don't know what to think about that.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline SQA

« Reply #533 on: November 14, 2016, 03:25:21 AM »
I would agree with that, especially with Joss Whedon telling Marvel Studios to **** off.  Weirdly enough, Whedon has no credits in Doctor Strange, but a number of people I know who have seen it said there was a number of "Whedon dialogues" in it, which felt "out of place".  I don't know what to think about that.

Whedon is known to do a lot of unlisted Script Touchups.  It wouldn't surprise me if someone asked for his input on a few things, to add levity. 

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #534 on: December 03, 2016, 01:25:57 PM »
Loups=Garous:

So I was rewatching one of my old favroites, Mouryou no Hako, and thought I'd check out some the the other adaptations of its original author  Natsuhiko Kyogoku. Big mistake.

Why must anime perpetuate this meme of the MC being the blandest mother****er in the cast.  This MC is similar to Yoriko Kusumoto of MnH in that they are both outsiders whom find themselves through others but this girl never does a damn thing. You could literallt remove her from the plot and not only would it rogress exactly the same but you wouldnt be losing any "themes" either.

This narrative is clearly segmented into 20minute portions.
Which is the main problem.
TONE(pacing).

My god these robots are ineffectual. They are literally destroying themsleves in an effort to kill the MCs.
My god. They eevn managed to name-drop the meaningless title.
Werent sunflowers also thing in Psycho-Pass? Is there some real world scientific endeavor seeking to transmute sustainable protein from sunflowers?
Robot jobbing.

I hate everything about this movie.
ALL OF THIS IS JUST FOR THE SAKE OF CANNIBALISM? wtf.
Up.
He went down just like that?
Why even bother.

This may be the worst thing I have ever seen to completion.

Mio was cute.
Myao was hot. I love *insert voice actress*
I want a functional plushie of Mio's doll.
The only three things I got from this movie.

I guess I'm off to watch Natsuhiko Kyogoku's last adapted work, the series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wicked_and_the_Damned:_A_Hundred_Tales_of_Karma  Much like Project Itoh, I supose I'll never know if the adaptations were shit or the source material was simply wank from the beginning. I guess based on this third adatation I'll arrive at some conclusion.

Offline genki sakura

• Vwoop! Vwoop!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #535 on: December 04, 2016, 07:26:38 PM »
Allied:

WWII drama about whether or not THE CANADIAN DUDE'S WIFE A GERMAN SPYYYYY?!

The first part of the movie felt like the people who made the movie were like: "this is a war movie lolz!". The second half felt like the mindset changed to: "this is super cereal, guys. /al gore"

The ending annoyed me. I also think they could've completely removed one part and just thrown the important line from the entire bit into an earlier scene and it would've had the exact same impact on Brad Pitt's character.

If you just feel like watching a flighty period drama, it's good for a one-time watch. Not something I'd rewatch unless it was on tv and I was bored. I liked Marion Cotilliard's performance and I wish her character had been written better at the end. Brad Pitt's performance wasn't anything extraordinary. Also it was pretty obvious his French was dubbed at the beginning.

Possibly the best line of the movie: "I'm from Ontario."
When in doubt, speak Italian and sing "Seven Nation Army"

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #536 on: December 04, 2016, 10:04:23 PM »
Is it a comedy?  Sounds like a comedy.  Who gives a shit about Canadians?  Canada was on vacation in World War 2*.

* yes I know this isn't true, but **** Canada.

Offline genki sakura

• Vwoop! Vwoop!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #537 on: December 08, 2016, 07:18:36 PM »
It's technically a drama. It was unintentially funny at times...

...but my husband and I were cracking up with laughter during the film though....and afterwards.

(I have to be nice about Canada since I'm visiting there next year lol)
When in doubt, speak Italian and sing "Seven Nation Army"

Offline Kaikyaku

• Reviewer

« Reply #538 on: December 09, 2016, 08:30:17 PM »
What part? Not sure what you're into but next year Parks Canada is waiving all the entrance fees for national parks (and maybe national historic sites?) in honour of our, *gasp*, 150th birthday!! So that might be worth looking into. TIF is not invited.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #539 on: December 09, 2016, 11:57:23 PM »
Keep your gravy fries, ya hoser.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39   Go Up