Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 09:33:33 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 140457 times)

Offline themaster20000

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #510 on: June 30, 2016, 11:50:26 AM »
Demolition Man:

Tries a little too hard with the satire,otherwise it's a kickass action film (not quick-cut editing bullshit like today). Wesley Snipes is great as the villain and Stallone's lip gives a good performance like usual.

Cobra:

80's trash it's finest! So much cheese and so poorly at made at points;like the wonderful scene where Cobretti rips some punk's shirt and you can clearly see the actor's mic.

God Told Me To:

It's a messy film,but it has a lot of interesting low-budget visuals. It's got some cool ideas to it too.
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #511 on: July 07, 2016, 10:04:59 AM »
Batman vs Superman Ultimate Edition:

First time watching the film in general,but the cut in seems to add more pointless scenes on top of the many pointless scenes already.It feels like they just took scenes at random when editing it,since it doesn't have anything propelling the narrative through most of it. The first half is just a bunch of scenes that beat you over the head with the same points over and over,with it's heavy-handed dialogue,mixed with some laughable detective work from Batman. Then you got all the blatantly setup for future films which add nothing at all (had a laugh at armchair critics who said this had none of that). The best of this was the scene with Batman comically wearing a duster jacket in the future while gunning people down,with bugmen randomly appearing at the end.Also the great scene where Aquaman pokes at a camera like an idiot (that sure added a lot to the film!).

Then you get to the last half where the film decides it needs like 7 climaxes. The fight with Doomsday has some of the worst CGI I've seen in a blockbuster film. The fight itself is like something out of a shitty anime,with a shot straight out of DBZ,and Doomsday constantly evolving into an even stronger form! Then Wonder Women shows up to help,but I couldn't care less since the film does nothing for me to care about her character at all (am confused by all the people saying she was an amazing part of this).I could keep going,but at the end of the day this film is a 14 teen-year-old's idea on what dark and mature is. As bad as Snyder direction is,David Goyer's is just the worst.
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #512 on: July 11, 2016, 11:55:12 AM »
Harmony:

Oh shit, brought to us by director Nakamura Takashi aka the director of Fantastic Children aka my favorite anime of all time aka the only thing the man has done in a damned decade, Harmony was...wholly mundane and, as such, massively underwhelming. It was your basic post A.I.singularty narrative. As for the directing, it was noticeably dated; which I suppose is the most interesting aspect of this film.

generic post singularity
muh Japanese Humanism

At teh very leasy, the mediocre OST gave me a few hours of amusement. Playing the songs with my roommates was the best thing to come out of this film.

Kire's CO ought be deserving of an award "Most Ineffectual Person of Immediate Authority within a Narrative."

Apparebtly Miach was a member of the Sami people.

Post-modernist Ergo Proxy...Ergo Proxy.

Aldus Huxley reference

undeserved beauty

Everyone wartch The Prodigies. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1374990/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:00:59 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #513 on: July 19, 2016, 10:16:23 AM »
In The Mouth of Madness:

The closest a film has gotten at doing H.P. Lovecraft film. It got the atmosphere down and the creatures down perfectly.Perfect ending too for a horror film. John Carpenter's last good film.

2001 A Space Odyssey:

I appreciated more than I actually enjoyed. The visuals are still some of the best ever. My issues being the film did nothing for me on an emotional level at all. So many scenes drag forever,when I've long gotten the point. Then the acid-trip last act which is great visually,though I have no idea what to make of it. I will give it a watch again at some point.

Clockwork Orange:

Loved it. Malcom McDowell is fantastic as Alex. Love me some dark humor and this had a lot of that. It's take on violence and how society tries to deal is handled so well. 

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #514 on: July 23, 2016, 07:14:14 PM »
Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below:

Yet another "Muh Japanese Humanism" - The Movie.

Aside from the visuals, this was such a by-the-numbers film that IDK. Ill say that the credits bit had some serious undeserved pathos, shout out to Kumaki Anri.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #515 on: July 25, 2016, 08:23:09 PM »
Shisha no Teikoku aka The Empire of Corpses:

What a mess.
The pacing was shit.
The progression of events was shit.
The characters were shit.
The story was derivative as shit.
But god damn did it both look and sound good.

The naming sense is inexcusable. Every name needn't be a reference. Though I suppose why the f**k not.
Aint no country supplanting the entirety of their existing workforce for automatons. l
Hadaly worst tits in anime.
Chalk up another "Muh Japanese Existentialism(is a Humanism)" movie.

Thef**k was that post-credit scene?

Project Itoh is 0/2 on these film adaptations. Should Genocidal Organ ever see the light of day I'll be sure to check it out, if only to complete the set.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #516 on: July 25, 2016, 09:11:59 PM »
^I heard nothing but bad things about those Project Itoh films (Harmony sounded like a huge pile of shit)

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (original):

Fantastic thriller. Great cast,does a great job of showing gritty NY,funny,and a fantastic OST.

Touch of Zen:

Classic. Some of the best cinematography I've ever seen in a film.

It pulls you in with it's atmosphere and setting,which really hook you in. Then you got you fights scenes which are fantastic. You could definitely see how this film inspired Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger,Hidden Dragon.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #517 on: July 26, 2016, 10:00:59 PM »
Only Yesterday aka My Favorite Ghibli Film:

Such a beautifully simple premise executed masterfully. Though I must say, the film has a tendency to linger somewhat on the flashback sequences. On more than one occasion I was abruptly torn from "10 yr old MC"only to find myself in an unrelated "Adult MC" scene.

Ocean Waves aka "Ghibli Made This?":

For 50-odd minutes this was the truest-to-life, most seemingly intrusive anime film I had ever experienced....what happened? Why? What was that massive shift in focus and tone?. Perhaps since the film was seemingly portraying a chapter of my high school years I just assumed it would resolve all the same? It had a singular point of interest, namely Muto, or rather the MC's perspective of/relationship with Muto, and it kinda just f**ks off with such nonsense. What the hell. 

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #518 on: July 28, 2016, 09:33:38 AM »
Maniac Cop 2:

An extremely well made B-movie. A lot of great set-pieces with some terrific stunt work.

The Killing Joke:

It's great if you enjoy lots of  shitty edgelord dialogue with some of the most atrocious animation in a while. It's bad to the point that scenes have no emotional emotion to them at all (mixed with poor direction). Even the vocal performances aren't that good.For a story Mark really wanted to do,he doesn't really put a whole lot into his performance (he totally phones it in during the Joker origin scenes). Kevin sounds like he wants to take a nap. It's quite amazing how little effort was put into this.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #519 on: July 28, 2016, 01:38:23 PM »
Kevin sounds like he wants to take a nap.
To be fair, the Batman isn't a role that calls for much range to begin with.

The movie did indeed suck, though it's no surprise since Moore and Bollard's comic was pretty bad too.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #520 on: July 28, 2016, 08:57:02 PM »

The movie did indeed suck, though it's no surprise since Moore and Bollard's comic was pretty bad too.

I haven't read the comic,but the material definitely feels dated. Can't say I was a fan of the abuse of Barbara,which was done in such poor taste.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #521 on: July 28, 2016, 09:40:36 PM »

I haven't read the comic,but the material definitely feels dated. Can't say I was a fan of the abuse of Barbara,which was done in such poor taste.

Again, to be fair, the existence of the prologue at least gave me the understanding that the scriptwriters they at least wanted her to be more than just some prop to fridge. That's the only way I can describe any of this as tasteful.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #522 on: August 02, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »
Redline:

Pardon my potential ignorance, anime films need to be more viscerally indulgent.  Too many anime films go for something "artsy" or pontificate on the nature of the human condition. Id love to see more blockbuster-esque films from anime.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #523 on: August 04, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »
They Were Eleven:

The opening info-dump was entirely unnecessary. Narrative prejudice is easily established through dialogue/interaction. Also it didn't f**king matter.

Infinite Ryvius meets House Arrest

Great film with a kinda inconsistent tone

pacing was too quick

So did she become of women because she has since, since wanting to be a man, encounter a more establishing reason to be a women - namely love. Or did she simply forgo her characterized desire in service of a shallow romance?

And what was that casual "He died doing what he loved" credits sequence?

All-in-all a great anime film which sits comfortaly in my "enjoyable" category rather that my "My Japanese Humanism" pile.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:59:21 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #524 on: August 04, 2016, 04:01:27 PM »
Redline:

Pardon my potential ignorance, anime films need to be more viscerally indulgent.  Too many anime films go for something "artsy" or pontificate on the nature of the human condition. Id love to see more blockbuster-esque films from anime.

Does that mean you didn't like it? Felt Redline was too artsy?
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 39   Go Up