Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 09:26:25 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 140695 times)

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #495 on: March 28, 2016, 10:08:38 PM »
Do you have any interviews or the like where Snyder professes to make deep films? I'd actually be pretty surprised if he implied anything as such.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #496 on: March 28, 2016, 10:38:18 PM »
Any interview where he talks about Sucker Punch or the very 'subtile' symbolism he shoves into his films(like the film school-level shot in MoS where Superman is in front of a stained-glass panel of Jesus). He really just comes off more of a clueless moron who doesn't understand why people criticize certain aspects of his films(like in this piece http://comicbook.com/2016/03/23/zack-snyder-says-star-wars-the-force-awakens-has-more-collateral/).
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #497 on: March 29, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
For the record, I liked Watchmen, though I understand fanboy criticism of it.  Well, okay, that rather protracted sex scene was not necessary at all, but at least Malin Akerman is smoking ****ing hot, so it can be dealt with.  Never, ever want to see Patrick Wilson's O-face ever again, though (fun fact, he's the US President in BvS).

I didn't like Man of Steel for the same reasons I didn't like Smallville.  Too much brooding, conflicted, confused, and depressed Superman.  Also, for some ****ing reason, Superman franchise directors just have to kill off John Clark.  What the hell did John Clark ever do to Zack Snyder and Richard Donner?  Inevitably, the whole Zod plot and the convoluted bullshit with Clark himself and how he relates to Zod's plot was just retarded.  It is interesting to me that the last time Zod was used, it was a much simpler plot and a much better movie.

I think that's where Snyder loses me.  His overindulgence in special effects is basically Lucas levels of pathology.  I realize Superman isn't human, but it is amazing how much more inhuman he gets standing in front of green screens.  Might just be my problem with modern filmmaking in general, though.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #498 on: March 29, 2016, 04:29:27 PM »
Well Snyder has a similar problem to Peter Jackson. They do tend to get a bit over indulgent with the special effects.

I think your other problems though speak more from the Superman fandom side, and I actually appreciated this brooding Superman. I liked it for the very reasons you disliked it :P.

Any interview where he talks about Sucker Punch or the very 'subtile' symbolism he shoves into his films(like the film school-level shot in MoS where Superman is in front of a stained-glass panel of Jesus). He really just comes off more of a clueless moron who doesn't understand why people criticize certain aspects of his films(like in this piece http://comicbook.com/2016/03/23/zack-snyder-says-star-wars-the-force-awakens-has-more-collateral/).

Symbolism is one thing, but I just never got the impression that Snyder thought he was making high art haha.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #499 on: April 13, 2016, 03:14:42 PM »
X-Men First Class:

It was fine.Michael Fassbender killed it as a young Magneto.I could've done without the whole "mutant and proud" stuff which the film really beats you over the head. Last act had some flaws,with the effects being noticeably shittier,and them constantly cutting back to the nameless battleship commanders.

Space Adventure Cobra the movie:

Solid action film.The plot is basically an excuse to have all these great action set pieces.The  animation still looks great today with some of the scenes coming off as if the  animators were on LSD when drawing some of them(some really trippy stuff in this).

That Man from Rio:

Such a fun film. It's suppose a spoof if the spy genre but it comes off more as a spoof of those adventure serials from the 50's.Nothing really to say other than it's funny and extremely entertaining. Also has a ton of dangerous stunts,which they would never dare to attempt today.
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #500 on: April 19, 2016, 10:08:22 AM »
Wolfcop:

It's exactly what you expect from a film called Wolfcop :lol: The effects were pretty damn good considering how low-budget this was. Starts a little a slow,but becomes a really fun B-movie.Looking forward to that sequel!

Planet of the Apes:

My 3 time watching and it's as engaging as the first time. The thing that really works for me is the experimental score by Jerry Goldsmith,which really does a great job of setting the atmosphere.

Escape from Planet of the Apes:

Decent sequel. Enjoyable fish out of water story for the first half before becoming pretty dark with some good social commentary.

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes:

It's basically Rise of the Planet of the Apes on a smaller budget. Both are led by a fantastic performance from the lead actor.  The story is basically a giant allegory for the civil rights movement of the time. By far the best sequel of the original series.

Battle for Planet of the Apes:

It's a film that wants to be an epic but doesn't have the money to do so. The story doesn't even have enough to fill the runtime. It's kinda watchable but pretty boring.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #501 on: April 28, 2016, 04:25:09 PM »
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2:

I thought it was pretty great. You have to go in accepting that it's a black comedy and no even close to being similar in tone to the first (they take the disturbing dinner scene of the first and make it a joke here). The film is so OTT with the villains;Choptop is one of funniest and characters I've seen in a film.And then the film ends with an epic chainsaw duel between a nutty Dennis Hopper and Leatherface,lol.

Jurassic World:

It was decent popcorn. Does the same themes as the original but nowhere near as smart with them. The big issue were the characters,which are so stock(especially Vincent D'Onofrio's character). It became a really shitty B-movie at points,like the scene when Vincent reveals his whole stupid evil plan.Better than the first two sequels(not saying much). Not something I would see again.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #502 on: May 10, 2016, 10:46:29 AM »
Captain America: Civil War --

Pretty good stuff. The action was noticeably better this film, which is really saying something, since Marvel already had it down. Dialogue was typical Marvel wittiness (except for Scarlet Witch; almost every line she delivered fell flat). Great set up for the next movie. Black Panther was well casted, but will need some sort of origin story. This Spiderman was definitely the best one this side of the millennium; he couldn't have been done better. The balance of having a such a large cast was really well done. Villain coulda used a wee bit more backstory. My only big time gripe (in spoilers):

Spoiler for Hiden:
Why didn't Cap and Iron Man ever try and talk it out?! It was obvious that they weren't gonna come to a consensus on the charter thing, but many of the later issues with Bucky wouldn't have been a problem if Cap and Iron Man could set aside there fetish for one-liners for just one moment and actually have a human conversation. Seriously, the way Cap was acting in the end made it feel like I was watching some shounen bull crap. That was a real gear grinder.

But, aside from that, it was still well worth my money. 8.5/10, will see again.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #503 on: May 10, 2016, 01:05:53 PM »
Dolomite:

I was really expecting to laugh more at this,instead it's kinda dull for the most part. It's really one of those films that just baffles you at how inept it is. It has some of the worse editing I've seen a film;they'll be in the middle of a scene and then cut to the next one with no establishing shots for the most part (most of the scenes have no purpose either). Had some funny moments,but not enough to rewatch it again.

Resident Evil Apocalypse:

Was watching it on a stream for shits and giggles just to remind my self how bad this was,and it was even worse than I remember. The one thing that stood out was how bad the editing was during any fight scene; they will cut to another shot every second( try watching the stupid Nemesis fight at the end without getting a headache). Otherwise the film is pretty boring schlock for the most part. I don't really understand the appeal of this series anymore,since it's just shitty actor's cosplaying as RE characters with pretty dull action scenes.

Phantom of the Paradise:

Wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I did,since am not a fan of De Palma's at all. This was a wonderful take on the Phantom of the Opera. I especially loved the production design which was just booming with creative visuals. Also the Phantom wears Griffith's helmet from Berserk,so the film get's a 10 just for that!

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #504 on: May 14, 2016, 09:31:33 AM »
Doomsday:

The most fun I had with a film in quite a while. It's a loving homage to 80's film like Escape from New York,and Mad Max;what makes it work really well is how it doesn't excessively wink at the audience. Probably my only bad complaint was the performance from Malcolm McDowell;you get one of the best scene-chewing actors ever and you give him nothing to do! Otherwise fun action film.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #505 on: June 05, 2016, 02:10:45 PM »
The Rocketeer:

Had a ton of fun with this one. The effects for the most part still holdup. My favorite aspect was how clever it was with setting everything up in such a subtle manner.

Ride in the Whirlwind:

Pretty good atmospheric Western. Does a great job of subverting aspects of the genre.

Tremors:

Watched it again due to RLM's recent video discussing it. One thing that sticks out to me is how it respects the audience,by not bogging itself down with pointless scientific explanations to explain these creatures;instead show you everything you need to know. Still a fantastic film that works due to you caring about it's characters and those effects still holdup great.

Gods of Egypt:

It could've been a great bad movie,but it was way to long for it's own good. Gerald Butler is actually the best part of this;he chews the hell outta of that scenary (his Scottish accent comes out a lot in this!). The whole film is shot on green screen and the CG looks like something from a PS2 game. Hard to believe this film got made.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #506 on: June 05, 2016, 07:12:56 PM »
Rocketeer has always been one of my favorite little movies that nobody really expected to be good.  It has everything:  campy heroes, a Dick Tracy villain, Nazis, hot dames, mobster patriots (I shit you not), good humor, and a lot of fun.  It almost feels epic because of its simplicity.  It is basically what Sky Captain should have been.

Tremors is another one of those wonderful cult classics that Red Letter Media guys did a great job explaining better than I could.  The characters are just so damned lovable.

Offline SQA

« Reply #507 on: June 07, 2016, 07:19:31 AM »
Agree on the Rocketeer.  It would end up being the template that the MCU ended up using, oddly enough.  Plus, you get Timothy Dalton chewing the scenery lightly enough to make a great Villain.  It's not often that they'd make a "Hollywood Leading Man" the Nazi-supporting Villain of a movie.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #508 on: June 24, 2016, 09:40:46 PM »
I just saw The Neon Demon and The Shallows.

The Neon Demon was... well, a fascinating movie. At times, it's a weird sort of art film that is almost far too blunt about its message and theme through the imagery, and sometimes, it's something that just makes no sense at all - with a theme that doesn't really justify taking it apart and figuring out the hidden meanings behind nonsense. A nice riff on the modeling industry. Too bad Zoolander did the same exact thing without having to play art film. The direction is the most notable thing about this film; the camera work is fantastic, and the cinematography is killer.

The Shallows was a Gravity-styled thriller that should have been a short film, but short films don't get theatrical releases or really make money, so a full-length feature it is. The Shallows gets to join this year's 10 Cloverfield Lane in the unfortunately thin smart-protagonist thriller section of the video rack - the protagonist is a sharp, attentive medical student who is constantly observing the environment, and her conditions, to find her way to safety. All this while she acts as human as you'd expect someone to be in her situation. Despite not doing much else to break thriller grounds, some nice action sequences and a killer performance by Blake Lively makes it one of the more refreshing, if not simpler movies in recent memory.

The Neon Demon - 5/10 (don't watch it unless you want to look at pretty pictures)

The Shallows - 6/10 (hit it if you're in the mood for something like 10 Cloverfield Lane or Gravity)
harvey beaks is the best anime

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #509 on: June 25, 2016, 03:20:36 AM »
I had already written off The Shallows as a cheap Jaws knockoff.  Sounds much more profound than that.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 39   Go Up