Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 09:28:38 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 140617 times)

Offline themaster20000

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #480 on: March 22, 2016, 12:29:31 PM »
Elysium:

The only thing I really enjoyed about this was the visuals. Neil Bloomkamp really understands how to use CG properly and should really stick to being a visual effects director,cause he is just a terrible writer. I didn't the heavy-handed premise of the rich living in space with them hogging the free medicare. The characters were pretty underdeveloped. Matt Damon was playing himself and Jodie Foster was terribly miscast as the villain.The other villain,Kruger was just way too OTT(Neil only seems capable of writing cartoon character villains).

It's not even enjoyable as an action film since all of those scenes are plagued by the overuse of slo-mo and quick-cut editing. It's a heavy-handed piece of shit at the end of the day.

Yankee Doodle Dandy:

It works due to James Cagney's masterful performance. The man was type-cast as gangsters his whole career and here he really shows how versatile of an actor he really was. Am not even a big musical fan and I loved it.Great movie

Billy Budd:

Starts a little slow but evolves into an excellent navel drama. This is due to the performance of Terrance Stamp as the title character and the extremely underappreciated Robert Ryan as the villain;he does a great playing this lonely man,who's only pleasure in life is from abusing these sailors in any way he can. The only bad thing about the film is the ending,which is extremely rushed due to the novel it's based on not having an ending. They really did not know how to end the film. Excellent film otherwise.
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #481 on: March 24, 2016, 08:18:24 PM »
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Dear fellow filmgoers: this is the worst superhero movie I've watched in years. Don't waste your money. Thanks, bye.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #482 on: March 24, 2016, 09:00:37 PM »
Ex Machina:

Perhaps the most underrated movie of 2015. There are a lot of AI movies out there but the sheer minimalist approach (US$15 million budget? Seriously?), and one-on-one interactions especially with Ava is masterfully directed. Disturbingly beautiful and a hauntingly unsettling ending.

It's amazing how this movie got the best visuals award at the Oscars with such a low budget. That's ingenuity at its best.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #483 on: March 25, 2016, 10:05:12 AM »
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Dear fellow filmgoers: this is the worst superhero movie I've watched in years. Don't waste your money. Thanks, bye.

Can't say am surprised since it's by the man who directed Sucker Punch,which was apparently suppose to be a deep piece about female empowerment  ::). The man is about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the head. It's the fim was a rush job by DC to get to their Avengershttps movie without taking their time to get there. I honestly can't comprehend how much of a mess the Justice League film is going to be.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 08:39:21 PM by themaster20000 »
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #484 on: March 27, 2016, 07:51:23 PM »
I didn't realize that disliking Batman vs. Superman would be the cinematic equivalent of being an atheist. I've not been having a good weekend at the theater... or anywhere, really. =w=
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #485 on: March 27, 2016, 08:36:57 PM »
I actually liked Batman vs Superman, though of course it has some flaws. I'm honestly having trouble understanding a lot of the criticisms, but when it comes down to it I think people want their superheroes to be fun and not serious. Hollywood never wants to take their superheroes seriously, but the DC universe is inherently more serious to begin with. The Marvel films are riddled with just as many flaws, if not more in my view, but I always found the DC heroes more captivating. Particularly Batman of course.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #486 on: March 27, 2016, 09:12:30 PM »
Batman V Superman:

The stereotypical dumb 'Murican come to life. A half baked mess of pretentious biblical references, uninspired fights, and horrible characterization. I didn't exactly get cancer, but I don't think it has a single redeeming quality.

Zootopia:

Loved it. I laughed, I cried, I nodded my head in agreement. A little simplistic and rather too tidy, but otherwise executed to perfection.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #487 on: March 28, 2016, 01:49:26 PM »
I'm honestly having trouble understanding a lot of the criticisms, but when it comes down to it I think people want their superheroes to be fun and not serious.

And you can pretty much blame this on Christopher Nolan.  The Dark Knight series was phenomenally successful, partially because of his choices for direction, theme, style, and mood for the Batman character and the villains, and Hollywood loves to copycat that shit into oblivion believing that they've hit on a trend that people want.

You're right, we DON'T want to take our superheroes too seriously.  Especially not Superman, who is inherently silly, as are all of his feature villains.  They're world destroying phenomenon, incomprehensible to the average person.  That's what makes them work.  For THIS movie, I am okay with the idea that Superman should be taken deadly serious, and if the whole movie was being done, and told, through the eyes of the paranoid Batman, who was seeing Superman for the dark and looming threat that he is, then it would work really well.  However, that's just how the movie is, not because of some thematic reasoning through perspective, but just because Snyder likes dark and edgy and is trying to repeat Nolan's success.  That's all.  Look at his films.  Snyder doesn't do a bright and happy film.  He's like a heavy metal version of Tim Burton.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #488 on: March 28, 2016, 02:21:42 PM »
I'd say he has a 12-year-old's idea of what's dark(Sucker Punch which is something only a hack could make). That big issue is that most of the DC heores are really corny and stupid(how the **** are you going to make a silly character like the Flash dark and gritty?).

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #489 on: March 28, 2016, 02:35:49 PM »
That's not something to blame on Christopher Nolan. DC is more edgy and dark than Marvel generally. Marvel became famous in the first place because they made their heroes more human and relatable (i. e. the teenage Peter Parker who worried about his love life with Mary Jane). I just think that critics tend to sneer at superhero movies that take themselves seriously (Which makes them come off as immature IMO).

Superman has always had that conflict in the comics. His overwhelming power makes him a practical God among humans, and this existential crisis is what defines his main struggles in the comics. It's the same in the movie that Snyder made. I honestly thought the first scene we see through Bruce Wayne's eyes in the movie is masterfully done. In one scene Synder manages to convey how terrifying a being like Superman is to the entire audience in a manner that revertebrates through your bones.

Note though that I do generally prefer DC over Marvel, so that could be part of it.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #490 on: March 28, 2016, 04:29:47 PM »
Erm, by that scene, are you referring to the dream sequence?
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #491 on: March 28, 2016, 04:38:11 PM »
I generally prefer DC over Marvel, too, which is why I am so much more critical of these bullshit movies we've been getting.  Nolan's Batman was fine, but Snyder's Superman is not, and that's where I am standing.  Supes has always been my favorite superhero, on a purely philosophical level, while Batman is more of my preferred series of stories.

I haven't seen the movie yet, myself, but the things I've heard just disgust me.  Red Letter Media's review doesn't help at all.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #492 on: March 28, 2016, 05:17:44 PM »
Ah if you disliked Man of Steel then there's nothing to say ( I also liked that one, but then I also liked his Watchmen so maybe I just like Synder) :heh:. Though oddly I read some reviews of people who disliked that movie and liked this one

Offline SQA

« Reply #493 on: March 28, 2016, 08:36:56 PM »
Snyder has a good eye for visuals, but he can't helm a story and hold it together very well.  300 is going to end up being the best work of his career simply because it was a really simple story that mostly told itself (and lended itself to his visual style).  He's a better version of Michael Bay, who's main problems aren't quite as annoying.

There's also the issue that, if they're going to do these massive team-up movies, they've really got to be willing to stretch it past 3 hours.  There's just too much story to fit in, as most of the "critical" types (that super panned the movie) tend to focus on the pacing & editing.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #494 on: March 28, 2016, 08:54:42 PM »
I would call him worse than Michael Bay. Bay is very self-aware of the type of films he's making,while Snyder believes he's making these deep profound works. I'd say his best work was the Dawn of the Dead remake,where he basically just a yes man director(film was good due to the script by James Gunn),where 300 was just Gerald Butler yelling shitty dialogue in front of a green-screen for 2 hours.

DC is just doing a really shitty job trying to copy Marvel with the cinematic universe.You gotta slowly build up to the big film like Justice League,which by the ways things are going is going to be an even bigger train wreck than BvS.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 39   Go Up