Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 06:11:18 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 140720 times)

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #465 on: February 11, 2016, 10:51:43 PM »
Deadpool:

Loved it. Thanks for the great time, Wade. I, too, am touching myself tonight.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #466 on: February 12, 2016, 03:27:58 PM »
Robot Carnival:

Pretty good. The animation was just jaw-dropping(back when the industry had a ton of money to burn). Enjoy all the shorts except "Deprive" and Starlight Angel" which were both hilariously bad(your given free reign and this is what you come up with?). Big fan of that soundtrack which was excellent.It was surprised by how most of these shorts didn't use dialogue,and just used their visuals to tell their little stories.

The Prisoner of Shark Island:

Above average John Ford film(which is still better than most). Does great job of capturing that time peroid. It does take a lot of Historical license,but it's entertaining nonetheless. It helps a lot that you have a master director at the helm.

East of Eden:

Slow start,but otherwise I thought was excellent. James Dean's performance is filled with so much raw emotion,it's pretty hard to watch at some points. Just a great character piece at the end of the day.
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #467 on: February 12, 2016, 08:43:48 PM »
Wade. I, too, am touching myself tonight.

Gross!

Top Ten of 2015:
Spoiler for Hiden:
1. Inside Out
2. Amy
3. Room
4. The Big Short
5. Anomalisa
6. Mad Max: Fury Road
7. Ex Machina
8. Diary of a Teenage Girl
9. It Follows
10. What We Do In The Shadows

Honorable Mentions:

The End of the Tour
Selma
Steve Jobs
The Gift
Infinitely Polar Bear
Grandma
Predestination
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
Trainwreck
Love and Mercy

Bottom Ten of 2015
Spoiler for Hiden:
1: The Loft
2: Out of the Dark
3: Jem and the Holograms
4: Love the Coopers
5: Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension
6: Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2
7: Mortdecai
8: Treehouse
9: Hitman: Agent 47
10: The Gunman

Dishonorable Mentions:

Pan
Jupiter Ascending
The Gallows
The Perfect Guy
Unfinished Business
Aloha
Taken 3
The Boy Next Door
The Lazarus Effect
Insurgent

January:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The Masked Saint: 2/10
The Lion King: 6/10
The Forest: 1/10
Ride Along: 4/10
Ride Along 2: 3/10
Norm of the North: 1/10
The Revenant: 7/10
Kung Fu Panda: 7/10
Kung Fu Panda 2: 7/10
The 5th Wave: 4/10
The Boy: 3/10
Dirty Grandpa: 0/10 (God this was awful)
13 Hours: 5/10
Fifty Shades of Black: 3/10
Kung Fu Panda 3: 6/10

February:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Pocahontas: 3/10
Zoolander 5/10
Hunchback of Notre Dame: 6/10
Anomalisa: 8/10
My Big Fat Greek Wedding: 7/10
Ringu: 6/10
The Ring: 5/10
Hail, Caesar: Rewatch necessary. Low opinion.
The Choice: 2/10
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: 4/10
Rango: 6/10
Deadpool: Rewatch necessary. Medium-high opinion.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:01:39 PM by Kiniest »
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #468 on: February 13, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »

We dun like yer kind 'round these parts.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #469 on: February 13, 2016, 08:47:11 PM »
Oh, no, I'm so sorry! I'll go and change that score right now!

Huh, I guess it's not changing, then! Bummer!

Offline Marid King

« Reply #470 on: February 13, 2016, 08:48:21 PM »

We dun like yer kind 'round these parts.

For shame, Kiniest. I suppose you hate the original Star Wars trilogy and think Vader is lame.

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #471 on: February 13, 2016, 08:51:06 PM »
For shame, Kiniest. I suppose you have mixed feelings about the original Star Wars trilogy and think Vader isn't as impressive as he could have been.

I'm wearing my hat of shame right now. It's got a little smiling Jack Frost sticker on it.

Zoolander 2:

My kind of humor when it's trying, but the movie has a lot more exposition and dead-time than Deadpool does, and eventually simmers out until the final confrontation scene with Mugatu around the end. I feel as if the filmmakers should have put more time and energy into the humor and less into the celebrity cameos. Yes, we get it, Katy Perry showed up onto the scene for no reason. Yes, we get it, Justin Bieber died. Come on. 4/10.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #472 on: February 23, 2016, 05:38:28 PM »
Bone Tomahawk:

Really good,slow-burn character piece at it's best.The characters are three-dimensional with excellent performances,and strong dialogue. The building of it's atmosphere and suspense is excellent. The bit of action you get is blunt,brutal,and straight to the point.

Sword of the Stranger:

Had me from the opening credits. Just a solid action film overall. The story does just enough to keep you interested(helps that the direction is great). The characters despite being a bunch of stock samurai film characters,had enough to them personality and performance-wise. The animation and action was just phenomenal.Am glad director Ando didn't bog the film with the usually OTT anime nonsense,like idiotic super powers(like in Ninja Scroll). Great choice by grounding it to reality.
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #473 on: February 25, 2016, 04:35:23 PM »
The Good Dinosaur:

No ****ing idea what Pixar was trying to go for with this one.The film is tonally all over the place.The numerous rewrites are so damn obvious,like when the film all of a sudden becomes a John Ford film,along with a t-rex that happens to sound like John Wayne. The characters suck and it's pretty boring for the most part,with the only good thing being the animation which is waste on nothing.

Logan's Run:

Aged terribly.It's good for the first half,due to some of it's idea's and how bizarre it is at points(the Carousel scene for instance).Then last half comes and it just comes to a halt;it becomes sleep inducing at points.I love practical effects,but these have just aged terribly.It's so reliant on obvious miniatures,and the robot was just a joke. It's a film that really needs a remake.

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #474 on: March 02, 2016, 03:01:53 PM »
February Overall:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The Princess and the Frog 8/10
Winnie the Pooh 7+/10

Deadpool: 7/10
Mulan: 7/10
Lilo and Stitch: 7/10

The Witch: 7/10
Tangled: 7/10
The Emperorís New Groove: 7/10

The Mermaid: 7-/10
My Big Fat Greek Wedding: 7-/10
Fantasia 2000: 7-/10
Toy Story: 6+/10
(Sorry for being a monster)
Toy Story 2: 6+/10 (Not really)
Ringu: 6+/10
Tarzan: 6+/10
The Hunchback of Notre Dame: 6+/10

How to be Single: 6+/10
Hercules: 6/10
Bolt: 6/10
Frozen: 6/10
Rings: 6/10
Treasure Planet: 6/10
A Bugís Life: 6-/10
Wreck it Ralph: 6-/10
Meet the Robinsons: 5+/10

Risen: 5+/10
Hail, Caesar!: 5/10
Brother Bear: 5/10

Eddie the Eagle: 4+/10
Zoolander 2: 4+/10
Atlantis: The Lost Empire: 4+/10
Race: 4/10
Dinosaur 2000: 4/10
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: 4-/10
Triple 9: 3/10
Gods of Egypt: 2+/10
Home on the Range: 2/10
The Choice: 2-/10
Chicken Little: 0/10 (Watched this on 4x speed, and it still felt never-ending)
Non-2016 Movies are Italicized

Here's hoping Zootopia, and 10 Cloverfield Lane (and to a lesser extent, The Little Prince and My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2) will hit. Looks like March'll be a pretty bad movie month otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:39:03 PM by Kiniest »

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #475 on: March 03, 2016, 11:00:03 AM »
February Overall:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The Princess and the Frog 8/10
Winnie the Pooh 7+/10

Deadpool: 7/10
Mulan: 7/10
Lilo and Stitch: 7/10

The Witch: 7/10
Tangled: 7/10
The Emperorís New Groove: 7/10

The Mermaid: 7-/10
My Big Fat Greek Wedding: 7-/10
Fantasia 2000: 7-/10
Toy Story: 6+/10
(Sorry for being a monster)
Toy Story 2: 6+/10 (Not really)
Ringu: 6+/10
Tarzan: 6+/10
The Hunchback of Notre Dame: 6+/10

How to be Single: 6+/10
Hercules: 6/10
Bolt: 6/10
Frozen: 6/10
Rings: 6/10
Treasure Planet: 6/10
A Bugís Life: 6-/10
Wreck it Ralph: 6-/10
Meet the Robinsons: 5+/10

Risen: 5+/10
Hail, Caesar!: 5/10
Brother Bear: 5/10

Eddie the Eagle: 4+/10
Zoolander 2: 4+/10
Atlantis: The Lost Empire: 4+/10
Race: 4/10
Dinosaur 2000: 4/10
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: 4-/10
Triple 9: 3/10
Gods of Egypt: 2+/10
Home on the Range: 2/10
The Choice: 2-/10
Chicken Little: 0/10 (Watched this on 4x speed, and it still felt never-ending)
Non-2016 Movies are Italicized

Here's hoping Zootopia, and 10 Cloverfield Lane (and to a lesser extent, The Little Prince and My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2) will hit. Looks like March'll be a pretty bad movie month otherwise.

you're bangin' out far too many movies.

Edit: And Zootoups is pretty awesome.

Offline Kaikyaku

• Reviewer

« Reply #476 on: March 04, 2016, 08:03:25 PM »
I went to see Zootopia today and came away rather pleased and a bit surprised. Disney has always made movies with a message, but they are usually general and timeless. This one felt so... modern. Not only is the setting a big departure from the usual Disney fairy tales, but the whole time I felt like this movie was made for the US in 2016. Yes, the issues addressed have been around for a long time, but they way they were presented was very now. Simply the fact that the story centered around the police made it feel like a direct response to recent American history. It's a story that the whole world can enjoy, but perhaps it's a story the US really needs? I'm not American, so I can't really say.

The other thing that surprised me was how mature and dark it was. First, there were a lot of subtle references that children will definitely not get. And not just the references to Breaking Bad, I mean the larger context I mentioned above. Plus there is a lot of violence, bullying and confinement that is portrayed very realistically. These are not cartoonish fights. I honestly thought it might be a bit much for really young kids. Even I tensed up during a few scenes.

That said, these are not complaints, only observations. Other than a few scenes that didn't really work or dragged on too long (you know the one) I thought it was really well put together. The story is well structured with the characters solidly established and all the threads coming together in the end. Honestly, this is more of a movie for adults than it is for kids. It's a very good film, but it's not something I would throw on to kill time. It requires a lot more engagement to make it worthwhile.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #477 on: March 07, 2016, 09:31:04 AM »
Birdman:

It didn't like it at first,and then ended up loving it by the end.It's a really intimate character study,and the cinematography does such an excellent job of giving you a personal look at this character. The cast was perfect,everyone gave a 110% to their roles.

13 Assassins:

Really good.Miike does a excellent setting up the conflict and characters.All building up to that epic 45min battle scene.The only stupid thing in that battle was the terrible CGI flaming bulls(I'd liked to know how they were able to set that up). Otherwise it's an epic samurai film.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #478 on: March 12, 2016, 06:04:05 PM »
Into the Sun:

It's a pretty funny DTV Steven Seagal flick. What makes this one a little different from the others is that he actually wrote the script and was a producer,so it's even more of ego trip than usual. It's basically 2 hours of him showing how much of a weeaboo he is.He occasionally fights some Yakuza thugs and shops for swords at the "Japan Sword" shop(where he shows off how his 'great' use of the Japanese language). It's boring at points due to a lack of action,but it's worth watching just to laugh at how much of ego this man has.

The 6th Day:

One of the few Arnie films I never got around to seeing.The main issue is how it's trying to be this serious Sci-Fi about the ethics of cloning,but you can't take any of this shit seriously because of Arnie.It isn't boring though and pretty fun to laugh at(those scenes where Arnie is acting with his clone are gold). Had a lot of potential to be good Sci-Fi film and it's sadly wasted.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #479 on: March 15, 2016, 07:08:34 PM »
Bakemono no Ko:

Very all over the place and rather simplistic, but fun. 7/10
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 39   Go Up