Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 12, 2017, 02:48:28 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 143051 times)

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #435 on: November 26, 2015, 06:21:26 PM »
If I remember correctly, Mononoke has a horrible deus ex at the end; how could you give it a 9/10? And the romance was painfully generic...

My understanding was that all the destruction was undone by the same god who caused it, and possibly at the cost of his life. Said god was also repeatedly said, and shown, to have the power to give and take life. Plus it's not like ancient trees shot up out of nowhere, it was just a bunch of little shoots. Above all, it's exactly what I expected to happen. I really don't consider this deus ex machina.

The romance was certainly rather cookie cutter, but I'm very willing to look past that. Romance was never the focus of Mononoke Hime, what little there was didn't get in the way, and it scored a lot of points back by not going with a Disney marriage; both characters stayed true to themselves. For me the romance was a minor point that was average instead of amazing.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #436 on: November 27, 2015, 06:06:15 PM »
Only comment on DeNiro and his acting is that Taxi Driver scene was all ad-libbed, so it became his "thing".
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #437 on: November 28, 2015, 09:56:56 AM »
Deniro is good whatever he isn't phoning it in withnhis usual schtick.

The Exorcist:

First time really watching and it was excellent. It is really a shame how far the horror genre has fallen since this. Today this would handled in such a goofy OTT manner,compared how serious it's treated in this. William Friedkin was just a god-tier director in the 70's(this,French Connection,and Sorcerer all made during that period).

Alien 3(assembly cut):

This cut makes it so much better(first time watching it and always hated the original cut).I love how it just screws the happy ending if the last and goes into bleak situation (Ripley never catches a break).  The atmosphere and visuals are excellent.David Fincher may have disowned it but it is definitely his work visually(has the drained out colors and a lot of grays). The worse part of it ironically is the Alien itself which is just a terrible effect. It is still flawed film but it's amazing the film is even watchable considering the cluster**** of a production it had.

On another note am glad Aliens 2 is most likely not going now. On top of it being just pointless and stupid to erase 3 as canon, I don't want a hack like Bloomkamp doing it(not interested in anymore of his ham-fisted social commentary).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:41:37 AM by themaster20000 »
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #438 on: December 02, 2015, 11:31:50 AM »
Emperor of The North:

One of the most 'manly' films ever made. A great cat and mouse between a hobo(Lee Marvin) and a sadistic conductor(Ernest Borgnine) on a fast moving fright train. Both of them are excellent and also do most of their stunts which are pretty damn-impressive. Doesn't get anymore badass than two man fighting on a moving train with 2x4's and chains.
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #439 on: December 06, 2015, 02:45:45 PM »
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay p.2

It was... good. Not great. Not very good. Not even pretty good. Just plain good. But not bad either.

The good

• Scripting: The scripting was pretty near perfect at times. You know how some books, movies, animes, mangas, cartoons, etc. get too a point where the character lines are so good that they're irrational? The sort of unrealism that Shakespeare reaches, where his characters are spouting of such unbelievably brilliant lines that we know no normal human would say that sorta thing as they consider life and death, or the grave of an old friend. This happened on multiple occaisons, where the depth of a conversation superseded its realism.
  • The Acting: Jennifer Lawrence was very good, Josh Whatshisjaw good, Liam Hemsworth great, and Donald Sutherland awesome. Most impressive was the lack of bad acting. It really let you get into the characters and scripting.
  • Story: It was good. The anti-hero was well played, and showed how conscious the writer was of her character. She knew Katniss was no hero, and showed just how awful the average human can be when thrown into extreme situations. It was also nice how they really toned down the love triangle thing. It was starting to get annoying.
The bad
  • The Scripting: Although it was near perfect at times, it was certainly not without its flaws. Sometimes it went for poetic and just plain failed. And that was very jolting, especially as you started to get into the swing of things.
  • The CG: Call me a stickler, but after being fed One Punch Man, and haven recently watched The Garden of Words, I can't stand bad graphics.Some of the 3D renderings of buildings and shadow effects were so PERFECT, like the annoying kind of perfect that only happens from computer graphics.
  • The Costumes: Not even remotely realistic. Nuf said.

The Verdict

The conclusion to the Hunger Games Series was a worthy ending. It fixed up some key issues, namely plot and dialogue (though the dialogue was not a perfect fix; it had it's fair share of issues. Still, better than previous movies.), while keeping the same old good acting. Unfortunately, it really dropped the ball on some seemingly minor issues, which interrupted the immersive feel of the movie. Over all a 6.5/10
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #440 on: December 06, 2015, 11:20:27 PM »
Half Past Dead:

Mind-numbingly retarded,even by Steven Seagal film standards. It is hilarious in how utterly incompetent it is in everything.So Seagal's character is Russian,but not once does he even attempt an accent. Then the action scenes which are hilariously bad.Not once do you see a blood squib,instead you see a lot of spark explosions(worse than an episode of Power Rangers)and people just falling with no blood on them.It follows the trends of the time by dubbing down R-rated action films to PG-13,along with copying the Matrix terribly.Then you got the most unintimidating bad guy played by Morris Chestnut(seriously?) .It's over-stylized mess,but pretty funny to laugh at. Hell,am surprised this shit got released in theaters;considering how cheap it looks and it's DTV plot.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 11:43:56 PM by themaster20000 »

Offline KS

« Reply #441 on: December 08, 2015, 01:09:20 PM »
Deniro is good whatever he isn't phoning it in withnhis usual schtick.

Pretty much where I was trying to go.  I was really tired and half asleep when I made that post, noticing a ton of spelling mistakes now.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #442 on: December 18, 2015, 02:52:20 AM »
Laputa: Castle in the Sky

The reputation of this show far exceeds it's actual quality. In a time where simply watching a well-realized floating castle would be astounding, I suppose Laputa would be impressive, but the overt simplicity of the characters, setting, and plot drags this down. Laputa strains to find that ghibli magic, and as far as I'm concerned fails completely. I fell asleep partway through and had to jump back to finish.

It pains me to do this, but 6/10.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #443 on: December 18, 2015, 09:36:04 PM »
By the by, I'm banning anybody who spoilers anything from The Force Awakens over a period of at least this week.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #444 on: December 18, 2015, 10:46:54 PM »
TIF: Thank you.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #445 on: December 19, 2015, 12:29:07 AM »
By the by, I'm banning anybody who spoilers anything from The Force Awakens over a period of at least this week.

Bruce Willis was a ghost the whole time and Brad Pitt is really Edward Norton.

I'll save my thoughts about the movie other than saying that it makes up for Attack of the Clones.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• Flawfinder's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with printerthorn using Skype
    • Steam Community :: flawfinder
    • @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #446 on: December 20, 2015, 09:16:34 AM »
Saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens yesterday. I have my complaints, but they were swallowed up by everything it got right, namely by doing everything that made Elysium so good. We need more stories where who you expect to be the hero is ultimately a catalyst for the real heroes to take the stage, and Elysium/The Force Awakens is proof of what you can accomplish with them.
You're an anime. Animate something!

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #447 on: December 20, 2015, 07:30:11 PM »
THAT'S CLOSE ENOUGH!

/whips out ban hammer!

Okay fine.  But stay off my lawn!

Offline Marid King

« Reply #448 on: December 20, 2015, 10:54:41 PM »
Star Wars: The Force Awakens (spoiler free)

It was a good try, but mostly a let down that severely lacked impact. I say that as a diehard fan of the originals, who was desperate for this to be amazing. The movie did it's best to be true to the letter of the saga, but failed to adhere to it's spirit, and the latter is what really mattered. There was also a serious case of new actor syndrome; the cast lack charisma and chemistry, and in a few cases, talent.

A moment that captured the difference between new and old was when a Force Awakens X-Wing pilot said their line in the most lifeless, deadpan manner possible. Immediately I remembered A New Hope, and how all the X-Wing pilots were hardass 40-something veterans yelling their heads off as they were picked off one by one. Now that's a battle that I can 100% believe is happening, and which created immersion so deep that over a decade later, I still haven't surfaced. 

Bottom line, it's barely good enough. Maybe they'll pull a The Dark Knight? (oh the grammar)

Edit: Also, remember the music in the third trailer? That epic orchestral rendition of the classic Star Wars theme, that rises with the action and booms with the climax, sending chills down your spine and making the scenes look f*cking epic?

Yeah they didn't use that. Why in the f*ck not!?!?!?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 11:30:04 PM by Marid King »

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #449 on: December 21, 2015, 01:43:10 PM »
I Come in Peace:

A great B-movie knockoff if Predator/Terminator. Instead of having the alien hunting for sport,it's a drug dealer alien sucking the endorphins from humans which is a great twist on the formula. I was really surprised by Dolph Lugren,who is does a good job as the wiseass cop(shame he was just typecast as generic action man). Pretty amazing the amount of shots that had the actors with explosions going off a few feet from them(this would all be CGI and green screen today). Solid action worth watching.

The Exorcist III:

I thought it was great despite some flaws(mostly due to the studio execs ****ing with the film. The film has a really creepy and unsettling atmosphere which is something most horror films lack.The performances are excellent.George C. Scott is great as the angry detective,and Brad Dourif is amazing like usual. The big issue with the film though is the tacked exorcism ending forced on by the studio(the film wasn't suppose to have one or be called The Exorcist). It is OTT nonsense which makes the exorcism from the first film look subtle. This also screws up the main plot since the director had to add scenes to set this shit up,along with cutting out others scenes which included the original ending.Still really effective horror film despite the changes forced by the studio(thankfully a director's cut is finally happening to fix that though).

Akira:

Beautiful visuals in service of thin characters and a convoluted mess of a plot. Yeah,you have all these good action scenes,but am bored to death by them .since I don't care about these characters or any of the stakes involved during them;which was even worse during the last hour which was nonstop action for the most part. They try make Tetsuo this tragic figure,but the film didn't do enough for me to care about him(I thought it was hilarious that they try to give his relationship with Kaneda something during the last 3 mins). It's a well made film on a technical level(I thought the soundtrack and they way it was used was excellent),but I felt pretty empty during the whole runtime.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39   Go Up