Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 06:09:03 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 140374 times)

Offline themaster20000

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #420 on: November 12, 2015, 10:37:49 PM »
I'm not really a huge GITS fan, but have any of the films been worth a shit?  The first one is pretty to look at, but stupidly convoluted, overly philosophical, and ultimately pointless.  I'm okay with Stand Alone Complex taking less of a waxing melancholy approach that the films have, and they're at least competently written for ADULTS and don't really insult my intelligence much, which is why GITS remains a critical favorite of mine.  I just wish more anime was as mature about its content.

However, the new film being garbage doesn't surprise me one bit.  I've noticed something unusual and obnoxious about anime filming, and that's that if the story doesn't contain pretentious points of view, then it doesn't get any kind of recognition.  Like a bunch of film school kids making their final product and it ends up being The Room, there's very few attempts at anime filmmaking that don't bore me to tears with all the philosophical bullshit.  Hell, maybe that's just Obari, I don't know, but I see it everywhere (this isn't to say Obari's films suck, but there are times when I wish his characters would shut the **** up or have some kind of conflicting viewpoints).

Oh I agree with you on the first GITS. Film looks great,but is paced poorly and has it's head up it's ass with the philosophy bullshit(thought that's the case with all of Oshii's works). Most anime directors and writers don't seem to know how to get their message across without  spelling out to the audience or constantly you over the head with it(the 2 episodes of Parasyte are a great example of that).

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes:

It's how you do a summer blockbuster right. Visually wonderfully and the CGI is used properly and looks great. Properly my only issue was the humans characters weren't as strong as the apes. Other than it was great. Not sure how the sequel will since it's the third and that's when series get bad.

It! The Terror from Beyond Space:

Fun 50's B-movie and the inspiration for Alien. Has a lot of moments that had me howling.Apparently astronauts  have pistols,grenades,and bazookas on board rockets. They can use all these without having a hull breach at all;along with being able to expose a nuclear reactor with no protective gear on.

Speed 2:

The film my avatar comes from! It's really a wtf were they thinking type film. Willem Dafoe is funny whenever he's onscreen,but everyone else is acting like they belong in community theater. It's pretty boring for the most part.The worse is the last act which is a Michael Bay fest of excess. Other than Dafoe and the hilariously bad CGI,it's a snoozefest
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 10:42:51 PM by themaster20000 »
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #421 on: November 13, 2015, 01:24:13 AM »
Shit, yah I meant Oshii, not Obari.  I'm not even sure Masami Obari is alive.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• Flawfinder's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with printerthorn using Skype
    • Steam Community :: flawfinder
    • @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #422 on: November 13, 2015, 05:15:13 AM »
Been a while since I've seen any of the Ghost in the Shell films so I can't say. It's possible my taste has changed to the point that I now prefer Psycho-Pass, especially given how cold the franchise in general can be and how it doesn't really have character arcs for Section 9.

Most anime directors and writers don't seem to know how to get their message across without  spelling out to the audience or constantly you over the head with it(the 2 episodes of Parasyte are a great example of that).

I care more about the originality of the message over how it's told to me so I could care less if the director/writer is being pretentious with it as long as it's being driven by satisfactory character journeys (not that Oshii tends to include that either. Only thing I really like from him is Urusei Yatsura and the second Patlabor film). It's a stupidly overused complaint to call something heavy-handed anyways. The Simpsons was never exactly a subtle show during its prime.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 05:41:58 AM by Mr. Flawfinder »
You're an anime. Animate something!

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #423 on: November 13, 2015, 07:54:27 AM »
Been a while since I've seen any of the Ghost in the Shell films so I can't say. It's possible my taste has changed to the point that I now prefer Psycho-Pass, especially given how cold the franchise in general can be and how it doesn't really have character arcs for Section 9.

Most anime directors and writers don't seem to know how to get their message across without  spelling out to the audience or constantly you over the head with it(the 2 episodes of Parasyte are a great example of that).

I care more about the originality of the message over how it's told to me so I could care less if the director/writer is being pretentious with it as long as it's being driven by satisfactory character journeys (not that Oshii tends to include that either. Only thing I really like from him is Urusei Yatsura and the second Patlabor film). It's a stupidly overused complaint to call something heavy-handed anyways. The Simpsons was never exactly a subtle show during its prime.

And I could care less about originally and the message when it's delivered in such a poorly written manner. Am more impressed when it's written in a subtle manner without stilted dialogue or long-winded monologues(Sorcerer or Fury Road do this well). Also The Simpsons never tired to be "deep" with it's simple messages(like every sitcom of that period),nor was anyone watching it expecting something esoteric(I also have no problem with something simple as long as I'm entertained).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:44:07 AM by themaster20000 »
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• Flawfinder's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with printerthorn using Skype
    • Steam Community :: flawfinder
    • @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #424 on: November 13, 2015, 09:26:49 AM »

Also The Simpsons never tired to be "deep" with it's simple messages(like every sitcom of that period)

Did you watch some other show that also happened to be called The Simpsons or something? Because The Simpsons I knew was one of the most biting political/familial/whatever satires in its prime, and you're not going to accomplish that without being deep, let alone by being simple.

And I could care less about originally and the message when it's delivered in such a poorly written manner.

When a message is written poorly, it generally means it's not original, interesting, or what the writer thinks it means. If there's no originality to care for in the first place, of course no one would care about it.

I also have no problem with something simple as long as I'm entertained

There are very few entertaining simple stuff that is actually "simple". Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, for example, is not a good film just because it executes its summer blockbuster status well the way you describe it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 10:17:31 AM by Mr. Flawfinder »
You're an anime. Animate something!

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #425 on: November 13, 2015, 03:49:19 PM »

Did you watch some other show that also happened to be called The Simpsons or something? Because The Simpsons I knew was one of the most biting political/familial/whatever satires in its prime, and you're not going to accomplish that without being deep, let alone by being simple.

I was talking about when it get's sentimental which were usually pretty simple(hits the right emotional tones though). The satire was genius and I don't mind it's heavy-handedness since it's going for comedic value

When a message is written poorly, it generally means it's not original, interesting, or what the writer thinks it means. If there's no originality to care for in the first place, of course no one would care about it.

Well,that is all subjective. Am interested in how it's presented and delivered. When a director and writer has to repeatedly tell what the theme is and beat me over the head it; it shows me that they have no faith at all with their material getting across to the audience.

There are very few entertaining simple stuff that is actually "simple". Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, for example, is not a good film just because it executes its summer blockbuster status well the way you describe it.

When did I the say it was a good film because of that? It's a simple concept,but it has a multi-layered script(could've gone wrong really easily) that elevates it.

Offline Horsebite

« Reply #426 on: November 14, 2015, 12:28:28 AM »
Melancholia - Really liked it. I liked how we got a good look at both sisters through both parts and how they both handled the planet situation differently. I don't usually like films that are total downers but this still had that feeling of hope at the end so it worked. The visuals were some of the best I have ever seen.

Taxi Driver - Also very good. Loved the psychological element of it, and that final shootout was intense as hell. Made me realize how good De Niro was good back in the day, and how shit he is now.

Looper - Good but overrated. It kind of loses focus as it went along and the pacing was really wonky. But that kid was really creepy.

The Usual Suspects - This was weird. I liked it, but I found it really confusing and I was constantly checking the Wikipedia summary to see if I hadn't missed anything. It got better near the end, but I didn't find the 'twist' all that impressive. I guess it was overhyped.

Rosemary's Baby - Great stuff. Psychological horror at its best. That ending was f*cked up.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 12:43:02 AM by Horsebite »

Offline SQA

« Reply #427 on: November 14, 2015, 03:05:26 AM »
On the Ghost In The Shell stuff, the best of the "movies" is SAC: Solid State Society.  It's after the SAC series, but it's mostly self-contained.  It's also truly terrifying in its implications.  On a whole lot of levels.  I really do recommend a watch.

But, most of the mythos of GITS starts with the Manga.  Then Oshii gave us brilliant visuals (and a wonky story) that would give us the Matrix.   The good writing is to be found in the Stand Alone Complex series.  They really did have a brilliant writing staff that very much understood the topic they were dealing with.  The recent reboot stuff just isn't as well written.  Since it can't do the insane visuals that Oshii brings, it's really just a jumbled attempt at being a bit of all of the previous work.  And it falls pretty flat.  (Plus, they really missed on the music in ARISE. )

Edit: "staff" not "stuff".
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 06:23:39 PM by SQA »

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #428 on: November 14, 2015, 05:12:15 PM »
On the Ghost In The Shell stuff, the best of the "movies" is SAC: Solid State Society.  It's after the SAC series, but it's mostly self-contained.  It's also truly terrifying in its implications.  On a whole lot of levels.  I really do recommend a watch.

But, most of the mythos of GITS starts with the Manga.  Then Oshii gave us brilliant visuals (and a wonky story) that would give us the Matrix.   The good writing is to be found in the Stand Alone Complex series.  They really did have a brilliant writing stuff that very much understood the topic they were dealing with.  The recent reboot stuff just isn't as well written.  Since it can't do the insane visuals that Oshii brings, it's really just a jumbled attempt at being a bit of all of the previous work.  And it falls pretty flat.  (Plus, they really missed on the music in ARISE. )

The series is fresh out of ideas at this point,and just should be put out to pasture at this point.

The Proposition:

A fantastic Western.No Hollywood bullshit or sugar coating;it really shows the brutality of that era. It's a simple story,but it's elevated  by a cast of morally ambiguous characters. Then the score and visuals are just outstanding.One moment you'll see the absolute desolation of the Australian Outback to it looking dreamlike in some shots.

Fantastic film all around.

Offline Horsebite

« Reply #429 on: November 16, 2015, 12:03:52 AM »
Well I've finally watched Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation; both of which were miles better than Spectre. Ghost Protocol was maybe the slightly better of the two, but Rogue Nation was more Bond-esque. Especially that opera scene.
A real shame about Spectre because I had high expectations from the trailers. The film tried too hard to be 'nostalgic' for older fans but there wasn't really anything new to it at all. Overall, it felt really convoluted and messy, and felt like it needed to be thirty minutes shorter.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blade Runner - Slightly overrated, but still my second favourite Ridley Scott movie behind Alien. I could see that twist about Deckard coming a mile away, but that ending speech by Batty was pretty powerful.

Offline KS

« Reply #430 on: November 19, 2015, 09:57:29 AM »
After seeing Lawrence of Arabia years back, it was on my bucket list to ride a camel while listening to the overture. Now that I have accomplished that and have seen the movie again, that goal has expanded to riding from Wadi Rum to Aqaba listening to the entire score. If I were to point to any movie in the first fifty years of sound film and say which one was the absolute best, it would be this one (alongside Annie Hall that is). This movie's sense of scope is astounding, contrasting the grandeur of the desert with the smallness of any single man. Lawrence's narcissism and presence captures the whole screen, while his human failings make his a rather powerless individual against both the forces that be in the Middle East as well as his own sadomasochistic urges. Few other movies are there as well that are so eminently quotable, but every line in it is golden. "Nothing is written." "I am river to my people!" "It's clean." Wherever there is an excuse in life to invoke this movie's script, I do.

Watching it when I was younger, my biggest gripe with the movie was the feeling of exhaustion the second half causes, which seeing again I understand better in how it juxtaposes with Lawrence's godlike image early on in the film. Watching this time though, I cannot not ignore the "white man's burden" subtext that is present throughout. There is a sense of self awareness about the film understanding that the idea of the quaint savage is less a reality and more a construct which rationalizes a western colonial mindset. But its portrayal of Arabia and the Levant often plays into that same construct quite straight. The film was ironically banned in Jordan where it had been filmed, but it was a massive success in Egypt, which may mean that portrayal here comes down to perspective.

I've seen this movie three times in as many years now and honestly I think it might actually have become my favorite movie of all time.  There's just something about how it tells the story, the on set shooting in the desert which really gives a sense of the scope and isolation and the fact that it's a World War I movie about what is kind of a lost period in time when the Ottoman's controlled most of the Middle East and Europe was at the peak of it's colonial period.  The acting is all around fantastic and they really just do not make grand epic movies like that anymore with that kind of scope that are over 3 hours long.  I think the Well scene is my favorite highlight from it which again just gives a sense of the sheer size of the desert and how it takes a good several minutes for a man riding on a horse over the horizon to make it to the location of the cast even though they hear him coming so much sooner.  It's also the first real introduction to the Bedouin culture and it's rules and mores.  You drink from someones well without asking permission they have the right to take vengeance on you, but if you are welcome in their land and/or ask than you may drink your fill.  Simple, brutal, traditional.  "No Prisoners!" might be my second favorite scene in the movie since it marks the biggest turning point in Lawrence's outlook on things and reveals his weaknesses in succumbing to his own delusions of grandeur and thirst for vengeance against the Turks that he would lead men into a completely pointless battle on the cusp of what would should be their greatest triumph in Damascus just to satisfy it a little earlier.  Also just how the movie makes certain kinds of scenes absolutely riveting in ways that modern sensibilities in film making would never allow for like how everything falls apart at their town hall meetings and just how long Lawrence spends in even meeting up with Faisal and organizing the Arab Revolt.  It's a very performance driven movie, very Shakespearean in a sense yet pretty much did make the most of what was available at the time in terms of practical effects making it kind of hard to believe it was made in the 60's.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #431 on: November 25, 2015, 08:15:14 PM »
Mononoke Hime

Holy shit. This was one of the first 'amazing' anime I'd ever heard of, and nobody was joking with their praise. I think the biggest compliment I can give is that there are no real villains, but there's still extremely real conflict. If I have any complaints, it's that the movie boils down to fairly simple "don't be a greedy jerk" message, and that the characters aside from the spirit animals seem too perfect.

Still one of the best anime I've ever watched, 9/10 for sure.   
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #432 on: November 26, 2015, 07:58:57 AM »
If I remember correctly, Mononoke has a horrible deus ex at the end; how could you give it a 9/10? And the romance was painfully generic...
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline KS

« Reply #433 on: November 26, 2015, 11:37:41 AM »
Realizing that I'm getting sick of the anime scene and what I still feeling is a creeping wave of blandness and sameness (this season hasn't been so bad but I can see it's coming like a tidal wave already with Winter) I chose to watch an old movie I'd heard about called This Boy's Life.  It was pretty much Leonardo DiCaprio's first leading roll and curiously he stares aside the person he'd eventually be replacing as Martin Scorsese's go to guy in Robert Di Niro.  The movie suffers from a little bit of early 90's schmaltz but it's a pretty interesting story and DiCaprio despite being young and early in his career puts in a very good performance.  De Niro who plays his stepfather Dwight who is pretty much a loser with low self esteem that likes to exude power and control over Dicaprios character Jack and generally harass him all the time because he's a loser who can only pick on someone smaller than him is also generally good but there's always something that bothered me about his acting style where he has a tendency to be repetitious with line delivery, motions and actions (he even basically does that "hit me" bit from Raging Bull that seems to show up in every movie) just kind of takes things too over the top and into a level of unbelievability making it hard to get a bead on his characters. 

It's not quite Cape Fear levels of ham or anything like that (he's surprisingly subdued when he could be flying off the handle a whole lot more like in that ridiculous movie) and it's really hard to describe the problem without talking about his career in and of itself.  Like he's an integral part of any movie he's in more often than not and not a bad actor by any stretch that's for sure, but I don't know his roles never quite click 100% or feel like he's successfully disappearing into a character like you expect from a top method actor (DiCaprio IMO is very good at this in comparison) even though I'm almost certain what they were going for is a guy that seems like he could be reasonable and has a pathological tendency towards believing he's always right and the whole world is always siding against him and he just has to lash out and feel important and like the center of the world in his own household but he does the character weird still aside from one scene where he's driving in a car and has this look in his eye where you can first see the devil lurking behind the mask of a concerned wannabe father figure.

Just as an example of what I mean by reptitious De Niro dialogue and weird seemingly pointless scenes, some examples:

Deer Hunter: *Holds a bullet up to Walkens character* "See this, this is this"
Raging Bull: "Hit me! Harder! Harder! Harder! Harder! Harder! Harder!" *Pesci questions the purpose of this, scene just ends*
This Boys Life "I know a few people around town and they tell me a thing or two and I know a thing or two about a thing or two and what they tell me is that that Kennedy is no good and they don't want to support it not going to do it no I'm not and neither are you because in my house it's my rules and I need to learn you a thing or two that's for sure" *lights a cigarette scene end*

And probably the most famous one:

[looking in the mirror] Yeah. Huh? Huh? Huh? [draws] faster than you, you ****in' son of a...I saw you comin', you ****. Shit-heel. [reholsters] I'm standin' here. You make the move. You make the move. It's your move. [draws gun from concealed forearm holster] Huh? Don't try it, you ****. [reholsters] You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? [turns around to look behind him] Well, then who the hell else are you talking- You talking to me? Well, I'm the only one here. Who the **** do you think you're talking to? Oh yeah? Huh? 'kay. [whips out his gun again] Huh? [Travis voiceover: Listen you ****ers, you screwheads. Here's a man who would not take it anymore. Who would not let- Listen you ****ers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the ****s, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is someone who stood up. Here is...] [draws his gun] You're dead.

He also does a bit very similar to this several times at the dinner table in this boys life where he likes to tell a story about how he cold cocked a guy at the convenience store that was giving him a dirty look and a hard time once to try to exude and aura of masculinity and importance that he generally lacks in reality which is fine, but like it's so much the same old De Niro bit it kind of hurts in a way and kinds of takes away from the impact even if the delivery is and all is fine.

And that sort of thing has followed him throughout his entire career and when I compare him to his apparent successor in DiCaprio I can't help but feel that DiCaprio is just so much more versatile at disappearing into roles and tailoring himself to them whereas I feel De Niro has pretty much just played Robert De Niro or at least an aspect of him or perhaps just the Travis Bickle role and how he played that throughout his entire career.  It was just interesting to get to see that sort of little story within a story between two Italian American acting legends here.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #434 on: November 26, 2015, 04:39:48 PM »
Watched 2 schlock films and 1 great film recently.

Dracula A.D. 1972:

Oh boy,did Hammer films really run out of ideas at this point ::). It's not campy enough and mostly boring as hell for the most part with godawful direction. Some scenes just drag out forever;such the opening dance scene that goes for like 8 mins. I did enjoy the few bits Cushing and Lee,otherwise it was just boring shit.There is a charm to seeing them fight in a dark Gothic cathedral while unfitting funk music plays.

The Tingler:

Enjoyable B-movie schlock. It's worth watching just to see Vincent Price act out an acid trip(one of the first in films apparently). Enough camp to be entertaining.

The Sand Pebbles:

Steve McQueen is fantastic in this. It does start slow but it turns into a pretty epic on navy war film.Enjoyed it's take on issues like racism,and foreign policy of the time. Wonderful direction by the great Robert Wise(the man was quite a versatile director).

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 39   Go Up