Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 08:50:48 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 143296 times)

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• Flawfinder's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with printerthorn using Skype
    • Steam Community :: flawfinder
    • @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #405 on: October 25, 2015, 06:42:52 PM »
I've honestly kind of warmed up to the prequel trilogy over time (well, not Episode 1). Their underlying stories were mostly good. Most fans just didn't like how they were told (which is important too, don't get me wrong. I just don't place as much emphasis on the how as others seem to).

And whilst it didn't get me as excited as the Jessica Jones trailer and I'm not an Abrahms fan in the least, heck yeah I'm excited to see the new movie.
You're an anime. Animate something!

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #406 on: October 25, 2015, 07:56:36 PM »
Oh yeah, films. Been trying to squeeze in some horror films before the month is out, so let's get on with this.

Kyoukai no Kanata: Mirai-hen - Forgot to list this movie last time I posted here, which pretty much tells you all you need to know about it. Nowhere near as bad as the series, but being utterly forgettable is not a label you want slapped on your product.

The Shining (1980 version, rewatched) - I don't love this movie like most people seem to. It's good, but I honestly think its appeal is overrated.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974 version, rewatched) - Love it. Still one of the exploitation greats, even if it's not my favorite from the field.

Children of the Corn (1984 version) - Bahahahahahahahaha...no.

Offline SQA

« Reply #407 on: October 26, 2015, 12:25:21 AM »
The Prequels to Star Wars suffered from 2 things, mainly.  1) No one told George Lucas "no" and 2) because of #1, the acting was atrocious.     No one in all 3 of the prequels came out good, and pretty much everyone involved was a really good actor. 

The stuff in the Trailers to #7 hint that at least the current production staff "gets" far more about Star Wars than Lucas himself did when he did the prequels.   Much of Star Wars original brilliance is that it looks & sounded epic.  The prequels just didn't.  They were obsessed with CG.  The Trailers, so far, seem that they "get" the need for scale in the series.  And practical effects.  PRACTICAL EFFECTS.  (And I really hope we see the tomb for Jar Jar somewhere in the movie, in passing.  Just so we know they got the point.)

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #408 on: October 26, 2015, 08:40:29 AM »
The only actor who seemed to care in the prequels was Ian McDiarmid. He gave a wonderful hammy performance. The prequels just have so many issues,like the video game action scenes that you can't get emotional invested in(why the **** is Yoda flipping around like idiot?). Then the hilariously bad script,like with how Anakin was 'seduced' by the dark side,when it's more like him being a moron,and believing this vague story from a comically evil guy. Speaking of George...

THX-1138:

Recently watched his directorial debut. It was actually pretty decent. What makes it work is it's minimalism style(total opposite of Lucas now) and it's unsettling atmosphere. The cast also did a great job with Robert Duvall giving a great performance. The thing that irked me the most was the pointless CGI that was added in this version(he couldn't help himself as usual).

"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #409 on: October 26, 2015, 06:07:13 PM »

the acting was atrocious.

the video game action scenes that you can't get emotional invested in.

Then the hilariously bad script,like with how Anakin was 'seduced' by the dark side,when it's more like him being a moron,and believing this vague story from a comically evil guy.

They were obsessed with CG.  The Trailers, so far, seem that they "get" the need for scale in the series.  And practical effects.  PRACTICAL EFFECTS.

etc.

etc.

I ALWAYS give realism/directorial/acting issues a pass if I think the characters and story are interesting. I'd have to hate practically every anime in existence if I didn't do that, let alone most movies.

Offline Horsebite

« Reply #410 on: October 30, 2015, 08:10:58 PM »
Persona (1966) - 9/10 First time watching this, and I loved it. Total mindf*ck, but the drama was some of the most intense I have ever seen. Will definitely rewatch very soon.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #411 on: October 31, 2015, 10:51:58 AM »
Halloween 1:

Classic.Great atmosphere and excellent camera work.

Halloween 2:

It's okay. The big problem is it's just a generic slasher film now. That and you give Myers too much motive now,which worked so much better when he wasn't really given any(you also see way too much). Jamie Lee Curtis also doesn't really do that much in this one(other than sport a bad wig). Watchable,but an unnecessary sequel at the end of the day.

Halloween 3:

Didn't deserve the amount of it hate it got. An interesting take on big corporations,and mass consumerism. The plot is off the walls with it's mix of Stonehenge,robots,and evil Irishmen. Some creepy scenes,and a wonderfully bleak ending.

Halloween 4:

Hilarious how they retcon the ending of 2,just to have Myers and Loomis again in the series. Generic slasher film,with mostly disposable characters. Not terrible,but not really good.

"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #412 on: November 01, 2015, 06:20:45 AM »
Back from my horror movie splurge. Let's list these suckers out.

Nightmare on Elm Street 1/2/3 - Finally got to seeing Freddy Krueger in action and it was cute. Although Freddy's invincibility did get ludicrous at times. He's not exactly Jason Vorhees (should watch Freddy vs. Jason sometime)

Suspiria (rewatched) - Anyone who likes Yuri Kuma Arashi really needs to watch the film it took a lot of inspiration from. Hauntingly atmospheric in every technical term you can find, and the good writing regarding these girls' psychological episodes just seal the deal.

Silent Hill (rewatched) - I remember loving this movie when I last saw it. That love got sucked away with this rewatch because it was really lame. The visuals were too pretty to be scary and the whole thing felt padded, like a Dario Argento story suffering from overcomplication. Also, the cult stuff in the Silent Hill games was NEVER scary. Once you realize there's a human face behind the supernatural, there's little reason to be scared the second time you watch it.

A Tale of Two Sisters - Never watched a Korean horror film before (unless you count The Host, which I don't) but I gotta say, this wasn't a bad introduction. Twists are kind of standard for the genre, especially at this point in time, but the way it gave light to some serious family problems alleviated that somewhat.

Cabin in the Woods (rewatched) - Still a funny horror comedy. Not a constant gut-buster, as most of the jokes are spread out thin, but the horror aspects in-between are good enough to stand on their own even if you know it's all done in a Truman Show fashion. Even Joss Whedon's usual quirks couldn't ruin the film. Heck, I'll take a little of his smugness over the hyper-stylization most horror comedies have gone for these days like Planet Terror or Shaun of the Dead. Remind me why being energetic is supposed to equal humor again?

The Hills Have Eyes (1977) - It was okay, but in terms of stories about a crazy cannibal family and such, I much prefer The Devil's Rejects

One Missed Call (2003) - Okay for the most part, although that ending was freaking weird. After that great opening 20 minutes, it just turned into a typical Japanese supernatural mystery and couldn't keep the thrills up at a high level. Also, the scares kind of lost something when the supernatural phenomenon got broadcast through the entire country.

Don't Go Into The House - I hate serial killer stories.

Maniac - I hate serial killer stories Mk. 2. Someone please explain to me the appeal of this genre? Next to bullies, serial killers have got to be the most boring antagonists in the history of fiction, so why would I want to watch films centered on their mindset?

Audition (rewatched) - Still one of my favorite Japanese horror films. Creepy as f*** and the successful blending of romantic comedy and mindf*** into the "kiri kiri kiri" just makes it even more unnerving.

The Night of the Hunter - This wasn't that bad for a serial killer story and I'll put some more of the cliche parts down as the film being made in the 50s. Still couldn't take the priest seriously though. In a world where The Joker set the bar for looney antagonists, this guy is severely outclassed.

Dawn of the Dead (1978, rewatched) - Perfection.

Dawn of the dead (2004) - Not perfection. Also, man was Phil Dunphy (Ty Burrell) a prick in the old days.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #413 on: November 01, 2015, 10:06:34 AM »
I pretty much stopped watching anything horror after I watched the first Jeepers Creepers and couldn't stop ****ing laughing.  I realized after that this was all just schlock and the most ludicrous bullshit in the universe.  Horror movies are made for stupid people, and the recent trend of those "found footage" films and ridiculous overuse of "jump scares" just pads that opinion.  The really good fear inducing thriller is a rare treat these days, but I'm not delving through tons of garbage to find that one gem.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #414 on: November 01, 2015, 11:02:32 AM »
I agree,the current trend of haunting and "found footage" suck ass. You get some interesting ones from the indie-scene(the recent Bone Tomahawk for example),but the current horror scene is just boring schlock that doesn't understand how to approach horror,without focusing on gore or "jump scares",and a overuse of quick-cut editing.

Frankenstein must be Destroyed:

Wonderful take on the character by making him full-on villian. One of Peter Cushing's best performances. He is so deplorable and is just having a ball in this role. Atmosphere is excellent(as expected with Hammer films). Wonderfully dark horror film.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 11:22:25 AM by themaster20000 »

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #415 on: November 05, 2015, 01:37:39 PM »
The Street Fighter:

Some good cheese,but the fights suck. People get punched and kicked,with no real creative to the fight choreography;it's bland as hell. I was more entertained by Sonny Chiba's 'acting'; which consist of him making an angry face during the talking scenes,and making a ton of stupid faces during the fights. Has some good laughs, like with the famous x-ray punch scene which is just him punching a rubber skeleton. Am surprised that this got an X rating when this got released here(The Wild Bunch is more violent than this shit). The film doesn't even have the usual rubber arm getting chopped off scene that these films usual go for!

What We Do in the Shadows:

Absolutely hilarious. It's such a simple concept,but does such a great job of making jokes out of the tired vampire tropes. It also helps that the characters are very likable,and also have great chemistry together. Best comedy I've seen in quite a while.

Kara no Kyoukai film 1:

Watching paint dry is more exciting than this.They throw you in as if your already familiar with these characters already.Has some of the most stilted dialogue I've ever heard,which had me rolling my eyes several times(especially during it's philosophy bits).Even the fight scene which is visually great is so boring.Then you got scenes that drag on for an eternity(do I really need to see the whole process if this girl eating some ice cream?). It's gorgeously animated and the music is great,and that's about all I enjoyed.It probably get's better with the other movies,but I can't imagine sitting through anymore of this. You didn't give me anything to hook on to,and dialogue so unnatural it would make George Lucas blush.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 02:53:12 PM by themaster20000 »

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #416 on: November 07, 2015, 05:03:23 PM »
The really good fear inducing thriller is a rare treat these days, but I'm not delving through tons of garbage to find that one gem.

Yeah, I only check out current-day horror films if they get critically acclaimed or belong to a director I like. Or if it's Japanese, because their horror tends to be fine for the most part. Haven't touched Unfriended or The Gift and whilst I liked It Follows, I thought it was more complicated than it needed to be.

Now as for movies I saw recently...

Spectre - I'm not sure if this is the end of Daniel Craig's run as Bond, but if it is, what a disappointing conclusion. It tries too hard to tie-in to the other three films and to make matters worse, the way it does that is by playing out events like every other Bond movie ever. That's like replacing Thunderball with Dr. No. I'm not sure if it's as bad as Quantum of Solace, but it's definitely up there in terms of messiness.

The Peanuts Movie - Fine, but it assumes you know who Charlie Brown and all these other characters are because none of them get any sort of introduction and Linus doesn't even have much screen time. On top of that, the story and jokes are charming, but lacking in anything meaty, especially compared to the 2011 Winnie the Pooh movie.

Anthem of the Heart - Can't speak for the new Gundam show since I refuse to watch it, but that team's original drama movie wasn't very good. I tend to enjoy romance stories where (mild spoilers for the film) the romance doesn't work out due to personal problems, but the film's story was incredibly bloated and it seemed to be in control of the characters rather than the reverse. The four leads' stories don't connect to each other very well (one guy's personal problems could have been cut out entirely and the movie wouldn't have suffered for it) and it's not until the end when the drama stops building up, in which case Okada overdoes it with the dramatic delivery again. Also, how many times can you make drama centered on a music/theater club anyways?

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #417 on: November 12, 2015, 03:09:22 PM »
Ghost in the Shell (2015) - Hey kids. Do you want to see a version of Ghost in the Shell without any interesting character arcs, philosophy that goes somewhere, or mysteries that end satisfactorily like in the previous iterations? Well then this new movie is just for you. I hope you're happy with your neutered classic.

PS: Okay, the Laughing Man stuff in the first Stand Alone Complex didn't have the greatest ending either. But I'll take it over the ending to this snorefest.

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #418 on: November 12, 2015, 03:44:59 PM »
After seeing Lawrence of Arabia years back, it was on my bucket list to ride a camel while listening to the overture. Now that I have accomplished that and have seen the movie again, that goal has expanded to riding from Wadi Rum to Aqaba listening to the entire score. If I were to point to any movie in the first fifty years of sound film and say which one was the absolute best, it would be this one (alongside Annie Hall that is). This movie's sense of scope is astounding, contrasting the grandeur of the desert with the smallness of any single man. Lawrence's narcissism and presence captures the whole screen, while his human failings make his a rather powerless individual against both the forces that be in the Middle East as well as his own sadomasochistic urges. Few other movies are there as well that are so eminently quotable, but every line in it is golden. "Nothing is written." "I am river to my people!" "It's clean." Wherever there is an excuse in life to invoke this movie's script, I do.

Watching it when I was younger, my biggest gripe with the movie was the feeling of exhaustion the second half causes, which seeing again I understand better in how it juxtaposes with Lawrence's godlike image early on in the film. Watching this time though, I cannot not ignore the "white man's burden" subtext that is present throughout. There is a sense of self awareness about the film understanding that the idea of the quaint savage is less a reality and more a construct which rationalizes a western colonial mindset. But its portrayal of Arabia and the Levant often plays into that same construct quite straight. The film was ironically banned in Jordan where it had been filmed, but it was a massive success in Egypt, which may mean that portrayal here comes down to perspective.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #419 on: November 12, 2015, 09:37:36 PM »
I'm not really a huge GITS fan, but have any of the films been worth a shit?  The first one is pretty to look at, but stupidly convoluted, overly philosophical, and ultimately pointless.  I'm okay with Stand Alone Complex taking less of a waxing melancholy approach that the films have, and they're at least competently written for ADULTS and don't really insult my intelligence much, which is why GITS remains a critical favorite of mine.  I just wish more anime was as mature about its content.

However, the new film being garbage doesn't surprise me one bit.  I've noticed something unusual and obnoxious about anime filming, and that's that if the story doesn't contain pretentious points of view, then it doesn't get any kind of recognition.  Like a bunch of film school kids making their final product and it ends up being The Room, there's very few attempts at anime filmmaking that don't bore me to tears with all the philosophical bullshit.  Hell, maybe that's just Obari, I don't know, but I see it everywhere (this isn't to say Obari's films suck, but there are times when I wish his characters would shut the **** up or have some kind of conflicting viewpoints).
I'm just like you, only smarterô.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 39   Go Up