Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 02:24:09 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 140604 times)

Offline themaster20000

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #390 on: October 04, 2015, 05:31:02 PM »
Stone Cold:

One of the best B-movie action flicks I've seen.The film has more explosions than a Michael Bay film,but the difference here is it's actually entertaining and knows when to restraint itself(unlike Bay's films).Stars Brian Bosworth,who has the most amazing mullet to ever grace the screen. Then you got the scene-chewing forces of Lance Henriksen,and William Forsythe as your villains. Has one of the most OTT,and badass finales to an action film(it rivals Commando). Hell,this stunt tops anything from Commando.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 05:41:27 PM by themaster20000 »
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• Flawfinder's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with printerthorn using Skype
    • Steam Community :: flawfinder
    • @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #391 on: October 19, 2015, 09:28:41 AM »
Been a bit too busy to watch films lately. Here's what I managed to squeeze in lately.

Crimson Peak: Beautiful visuals, but the ghost story was lame and the atmosphere couldn't draw me in.

Steve Jobs: Basically The Social Network if it wasn't very good. Reminds me of how Uchouten Kazoku kept the smart dialogue from The Tatami Galaxy, but forgot about everything else that made the latter fun.

Alien (rewatched): Still one of the best horror films around. Something about being trapped in space with one of those aliens (I refuse to use the term, xenomorph or whatever it's called) really does it for me.

Noriko's Dinner Table: Finally got to this ridiculously long movie. Not sure why some people consider it an even better sequel to Suicide Club, but it's a Sion Sono film, so it's going to be f***** up either way. Girls that pretend to be your family members if you pay them? Talk about prostitution without the sex. Was a pretty decent watch overall.

Tokyo Tribe: I hope you guys like Japanese rap, because a good chunk of the dialogue is told through it. Also, it's Sion Sono aka the guy who makes live-action anime for adults, so that means teenagers being surprisingly skilled at fighting, young women getting objectified, and over-the-top visuals that either work to the film's advantage or it doesn't. Personally, I thought he overdid it a little here, but it was still more fun to watch than the Madhouse adaptation.
You're an anime. Animate something!

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #392 on: October 19, 2015, 01:46:46 PM »
Man of Steel:

Best scene by far was the "I WILL FIND HIM!!!" scene,which had me in stitches. Other than that it's pretty ****ing boring. Everyone's performances,but Michael Shannon's sucked.He's the only to realize how bad the script is,and gives a wonderful hammy performance. The script is just a of bunch cringe-worthy dialogue,a lot of "tell,don't show" moments,and the constant beating me over the head on how amazing Clark will be.Also a lot of lazy writing,like with Zod needing Lois on his ship for some reason not explained.Or why the military deciding to bring Lois along,other than them needing a scene for Superman to save her. The video game fights were boring as hell,though I did get a laugh during the fight with the world drive,which apparently doubles as a Japanese tentacle rape machine.Also how they kept cutting back to Perry and friends between the action,as if your supposed to give a shit about them

All this shit ending in one of the most headache-inducing fights put to screen. Also what the hell is up with all the shaky handheld-camera work?And gotta love the very 'subtle' symbolism,like in this wonderful shot

A true visionary you are Zack ::)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:53:45 PM by themaster20000 »
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #393 on: October 19, 2015, 04:23:12 PM »
Man of Steel is awesome. I love how it criticizes everything that makes Superman who he is whilst never forgetting he's supposed to be the Jesus Christ that humanity deserves, and the characters are way better developed here than they were in the original films. That scene when he has to take Zod's life still remains one of the best decisions they could have done with the character, forcing him to come to terms with the fact that he's not an invincible god who can reset time by spinning the planet around in circles (seriously, who thought that was a good idea?).

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #394 on: October 19, 2015, 04:34:17 PM »
 I couldn't stand that movie, but whenever I got bored I would just look at Henry Cavill's huge butt chin. Always entertaining.

Another recent movie that had poor scripting was Ant-Man. A lot of the one-liners were decent, but the over all flow was jarring. But unlike Superman, Antman had an acceptable cast, so there many seemingly irredeemable scenes that Paul Rudd and crew were able to turn into real comedy.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #395 on: October 19, 2015, 06:01:04 PM »
Not really into Ant-Man. It's pretty much the definition of a popcorn film, and I don't do popcorn films. Some of the lines were funny though.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #396 on: October 22, 2015, 11:42:40 AM »
Back to the Future (rewatched): Welp, October 21, 2015 didn't have the flying cars and hover boards the sequel predicted, but it did give me an excuse to revisit this movie. And dear god is it still awesome. One of the few films I like solely for the blockbuster presentation, energy, music, and humor (because let's be honest, the story isn't special on paper unless you count the jabs against Ronald Reagan woven into the narrative) with fun characters and a cool 80s take on time travel.

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to listen to some Huey Lewis.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #397 on: October 22, 2015, 02:26:58 PM »
^Shame that movie lied about the Cubs.

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #398 on: October 22, 2015, 06:01:35 PM »
^Shame that movie lied about the Cubs.

Any movie that attempts to claim that the Cubs have any chance ever of winning a a World Series is clearly talking out of its ass. It's how we should've known that the hover board wasn't on its way.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #399 on: October 22, 2015, 08:54:04 PM »
Waltz with Bashir:

Beautiful documentary. Very honest with it's intentions. Such smart idea doing it as an animation,which was the only way to really do this.Some really haunting and beautiful images(the beach scene). The animation itself was just gorgeous.

Definitely one of the best.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #400 on: October 22, 2015, 10:03:07 PM »
Don't get hype about Force Awakens... Don't get hype about Force Awakens... Don't get hype about Force Awakens...

/watches official trailer.

WOO!!!!!!!!!!
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline SQA

« Reply #401 on: October 23, 2015, 02:21:52 AM »
Don't get hype about Force Awakens... Don't get hype about Force Awakens... Don't get hype about Force Awakens...

WOO!!!!!!!!!!

As long as it doesn't suck as terribly at episodes 2 & 3, it'll be a victory.

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #402 on: October 23, 2015, 06:08:26 AM »

WOO!!!!!!!!!!

It almost doesn't matter. We'll be eating this up regardless of whether it's shit or not. I'm so hyped that I timed a visit to America around opening night. Hell, I bought my movies ticket before my plane ticket.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #403 on: October 23, 2015, 08:53:12 AM »

WOO!!!!!!!!!!

It's not written or directed by that hack Lucas,so it won't be a boring green-screen mess.  Am cautious optimism for this one,though I rather just get the unaltered original trilogy blu-ray. I don't need 20 sequels and spinoffs like Disney is planning to do.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:59:42 AM by themaster20000 »

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #404 on: October 25, 2015, 03:59:24 PM »
Yeah, the volumes of shit they're planning on ramming down our throats just in the Star Wars universe alone makes me want to hurl from pre-overdose already.  However, when you look at also the sheer volumes of shit from the Marvel and DC universes coming out around the same time frame, I just want to blow my brains out.

As for the trailer, it looks like they're at least THINKING of a story that would work, and would change everything we know about Star Wars around.  We'll see if it actually does work, or if it just ends up being a horrid mess.  What I want to know is, "do they have the balls?"  I mean, we see Han, we see Chewie, we see R2D2, we see Leia, and there was another trailer with Luke doing a voice over with the lines he spoke in Return of the Jedi to Leia about his family and the force, but we don't see Luke anywhere in this trailer.  Or do we?  Do they have... the balls?  Can we guess who is the Sith behind the new mask?  Or do they not have... the balls?
I'm just like you, only smarterô.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 39   Go Up