Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 02:56:51 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 140643 times)

Offline themaster20000

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #360 on: August 08, 2015, 10:11:05 PM »
Fantastic Four is like the most hilarious doomed and plagued of all Marvel Universe franchises.  I swear you could probably do something good with the whole Reed vs. Victor or Silver Surfer vs. Galactus mechanics nowadays and have it be pretty interesting too provided the write kind of director and writing team.  Also I hope that "Grrr Dark and gritty bullshit" isn't the new trend with comic book movies because I think that would be missing the point entirely and yet it seems like Man of Steel might be a pace setter for that sort of thing. 

Expect that with DC flims,especially with Zack "I did it because it looked cool" Snyder at the helm for the major ones. Along with hack writer David S. Goyer. I don't mind something being dark,but when your forcing it onto a story for no reason,it's comes off as stupid and immature.

Anyway I watched "The Man from Laramie" which is a classic Jimmy Stewart Western. Great cast of morally ambiguous characters.Cinematography was great too.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:42:32 AM by themaster20000 »
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• Flawfinder's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with printerthorn using Skype
    • Steam Community :: flawfinder
    • @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #361 on: August 15, 2015, 11:03:50 AM »
The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015) - All I can remember about this movie after I finished it was "what was I supposed to care about?". Which pretty much sums up Guy Ritchie's movies in general: lots of energy, witty banter, stylistic fight scenes, absolutely no story, characters trade in pathos for looking cool, and not the least bit fun to watch.
You're an anime. Animate something!

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #362 on: August 15, 2015, 11:28:34 AM »
The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015) - All I can remember about this movie after I finished it was "what was I supposed to care about?". Which pretty much sums up Guy Ritchie's movies in general: lots of energy, witty banter, stylistic fight scenes, absolutely no story, characters trade in pathos for looking cool, and not the least bit fun to watch.

Am not surprised a movie starring two blocks of wood sucked.

Godzilla:Final Wars

Mixed bag. It comes off as two films edited together. All the Godzilla scenes feel tacked on. I got a lot of laughs from the films attemepts at being "cool"(the motorcycle fight scene was absolutely hilarious). The whole production really comes off as an Asylum film. The monsters look great,but you got some really bad videogame level CGI in there. Could've used some editing since this runs for 2 hours,which a film like this doesn't need to be that long.
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #363 on: August 20, 2015, 06:53:53 PM »
I'm going to include movies I've seen before, but not in years to the point that I don't remember my opinion.

Hitman (2007) - Thought I'd see the new Hitman movie in theatres, but since I've never played the games nor seen the original film, I'd see what the fuss was about. This movie killed my interest in seeing the (even more panned) new film. People say this is okay for a video game to movie adaptation, but obviously these people have never seen the Street Fighter II anime film. It's even worse than Man from UNCLE in terms of "all style and no substance" and I stopped paying attention thirty minutes in.

Predator (1987) - Haven't seen this since I was a kid. Watching it again brought back all the good memories. Okay, the fact that Ahnuld is the main character pretty much kills all horror the creature was probably supposed to convey, but Predator always came off to me like 80s action movie camp, and I'm always up for laughing at camp.

Yeah, because Guy Ritchie's movies were so much better when he was using people like Jason Statham and Brad Pitt. Oh wait no. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels was meh. Snatch was meh. Those Sherlock Holmes movies were the definition of mediocre.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #364 on: August 20, 2015, 07:16:21 PM »
I'm going to include movies I've seen before, but not in years to the point that I don't remember my opinion.

Hitman (2007) - Thought I'd see the new Hitman movie in theatres, but since I've never played the games nor seen the original film, I'd see what the fuss was about. This movie killed my interest in seeing the (even more panned) new film. People say this is okay for a video game to movie adaptation, but obviously these people have never seen the Street Fighter II anime film. It's even worse than Man from UNCLE in terms of "all style and no substance" and I stopped paying attention thirty minutes in.

Predator (1987) - Haven't seen this since I was a kid. Watching it again brought back all the good memories. Okay, the fact that Ahnuld is the main character pretty much kills all horror the creature was probably supposed to convey, but Predator always came off to me like 80s action movie camp, and I'm always up for laughing at camp.

Yeah, because Guy Ritchie's movies were so much better when he was using people like Jason Statham and Brad Pitt. Oh wait no. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels was meh. Snatch was meh. Those Sherlock Holmes movies were the definition of mediocre.

And where in my comment did I say Guy Ritchie movies were good?(never really cared for the ones I seen ). To quote a masterpiece of filmmaking "Assumption is the mother of all ****ups".

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #365 on: August 20, 2015, 07:28:15 PM »
And where in my comment did I say Guy Ritchie movies were good?(never really cared for the ones I seen ). To quote a masterpiece of filmmaking "Assumption is the mother of all ****ups".

Then why the heck would it matter who the film starred if the director isn't good?

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #366 on: August 20, 2015, 07:50:09 PM »

Then why the heck would it matter who the film starred if the director isn't good?

Even you if it had a good director,they can't do a whole lot with actors who are charisma vacuums.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #367 on: August 20, 2015, 08:43:21 PM »
Given that I've liked Barry Lyndon, which stars Ryan O'Neal, along with some of Russell Crowe's movies, I'm going to have to disagree severely with that statement.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #368 on: August 21, 2015, 01:38:39 AM »
I randomly decided to watch Beauty and the Beast, and rewatch Howl's Moving Castle.

Beauty was a strange experience. I could immediately tell that it was an early animated film, because some of the body motions I had only ever seen done in an ironic manner. I think Belle did the classic "Woe is me!" sigh, and I laughed; Beast jacked both his hands backwards in anger, and ditto. On a different note, I felt bombarded by multiple agendas that I didn't fully understand. Beast and Gaston are clearly stand-ins for something, but I don't know what. Is Belle an old-timey nerd?

Overall, fun but somewhat uncomfortable to watch.

Howl still had that magical Ghibli vibe, but being older, Sophie's self esteem character arc was blindingly obvious; so much so, that I'm not sure it qualifies as character development. I mean, she's literally getting prettier and less old as time goes on. It was also extremely strange to recognize Christian Bale as Howl. Still a great movie, and you rarely see anime with the balls to make their female romantic lead anything but PrettyGirl.v1923. Hooray for ugly old ladies!
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Kaikyaku

• Reviewer

« Reply #369 on: August 21, 2015, 07:30:27 AM »
I re-watched Beauty and the Beast recently too, and the biggest thing I noticed was that the level of detail in the animation was a lot less than I remembered. Still one of my favourite Disney films though.

4 Months, 3 weeks, 2 days (2007) - This is a Romanian film that takes place in the 1980s when abortion is illegal. The main character is helping her friend who is pregnant to arrange a secret meeting with someone they've been told can help them. The whole story takes place over the course of one day in a series of long takes with no close-ups, so you really feel like you are simply watching everything unfold. It's based on a true story and it definitely left me with a lot to think about.

Sansho the Bailiff (1954) - This is a Japanese film I've been meaning to see for a while. It's based on an old folk tale and is not so much about the Bailiff as about two slaves, a brother and sister, who end up in his household despite their high birth. The acting and directing is fantastic and it manages to turn a relatively short story into a full length feature film without losing the epic and timeless feeling.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #370 on: August 21, 2015, 11:03:25 AM »
Given that I've liked Barry Lyndon, which stars Ryan O'Neal, along with some of Russell Crowe's movies, I'm going to have to disagree severely with that statement.

there are exceptions depending on the type of film your doing,but most of the time you gotta have an actor who can emote.And disagree that Russell Crowe is a bad actor,he has just done terrible job picking roles as of late.(He was terribly miscast in Les Miserables for example).

I re-watched Beauty and the Beast recently too, and the biggest thing I noticed was that the level of detail in the animation was a lot less than I remembered. Still one of my favourite Disney films though.

4 Months, 3 weeks, 2 days (2007) - This is a Romanian film that takes place in the 1980s when abortion is illegal. The main character is helping her friend who is pregnant to arrange a secret meeting with someone they've been told can help them. The whole story takes place over the course of one day in a series of long takes with no close-ups, so you really feel like you are simply watching everything unfold. It's based on a true story and it definitely left me with a lot to think about.

Sansho the Bailiff (1954) - This is a Japanese film I've been meaning to see for a while. It's based on an old folk tale and is not so much about the Bailiff as about two slaves, a brother and sister, who end up in his household despite their high birth. The acting and directing is fantastic and it manages to turn a relatively short story into a full length feature film without losing the epic and timeless feeling.

I've meaning to get around to seeing Sansho the Bailiff(have it on my shelf from the Criterion sale). Heard nothing but great things about it.

The Quartermass Experiment:

Classic Hammer horror film.Has good acting and a solid script. Does a great job of building tense without dragging on.John Carpenter was obviously influenced by this film when doing his remake of 'The Thing',considering the creature is similar to the design of 'The Thing' at the end of that film

Pretty damn funny. Only in the 80's could you have a middle-aged Italian man playing a ninja. I don't understand why the hell they got Franco Nero for the role; the man looks so bored(can't blame him since he's dubbed the entire time). The fight choreography is hilariously stiff,along with having bad editing(makes Nero's stunt double even more obvious). I loved the main villain,who is just chewing the hell outta of the scenery. It's pretty funny Cannon Group schlock at the end of the day. It has one best death scenes in a film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EvPvfVOUV8
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 11:09:31 PM by themaster20000 »

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #371 on: August 26, 2015, 11:05:12 PM »
Hitman (2007)

The lack of quality among video game movies is such common knowledge that I actually never really took the time to confirm this myself. Now having seen one, assuming it's a fairly decent exemplar, I can say fairly wholheartedly why they don't work. This may be the only movie I've ever seen without any lulls in action. Even the transformers movies took time out for a little light humor and characterization. It felt less like a narrative and more as if I was watching all the cutscenes stitched together. The music being at the same intensity throughout reinforced this. The only reason I knew the climax had been reached was that it had reached a logical end point.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #372 on: August 27, 2015, 08:53:14 AM »
Hitman (2007)

The lack of quality among video game movies is such common knowledge that I actually never really took the time to confirm this myself. Now having seen one, assuming it's a fairly decent exemplar, I can say fairly wholheartedly why they don't work. This may be the only movie I've ever seen without any lulls in action. Even the transformers movies took time out for a little light humor and characterization. It felt less like a narrative and more as if I was watching all the cutscenes stitched together. The music being at the same intensity throughout reinforced this. The only reason I knew the climax had been reached was that it had reached a logical end point.

That's the big issue.They're so methodically in treating these movies like a live-action video game,which is terrible way in going about it. You do get some funny ones though(Street Fighter 2 and House of the Dead are excellent comedies). Some of the upcoming actually look promising such as the Warcraft film,which has a decent director,budget,and a very good cast of actors.

Over the Top:

It has some good cheesy moments,but otherwise is just boring as hell. The entire script is made up of cliches,and all of them are done in the most boring way possible. Then you got Stallone who gives one of his worst performances(not that hard to find a bad one from him). Every scene he mumbles his lines and looks so bored throughout.

Broken Arrow:

John Woo Hollywood action schlock. Worth watching just for John Travolta's ridiculous performance as the villain. He's suppose to be menacing,but he plays his usually 'cool' character. He does this while saying hilarious lines,all while having a shit eating grin the entire time. The action scenes are decent,nothing really special. Don't bother thinking about the plot since it falls apart when you do.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:32:48 PM by themaster20000 »

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #373 on: August 29, 2015, 06:15:12 AM »
Efes Yahasi Enush (Zero Motivation):

A black comedy about the hell that is the personnel office of Tzahal (Israeli Defense Force). Given all the films about the military shredding ones soul by becoming a cog in a killing machine, this one deals with having one's soul shredding by being a cog in a logistics paperwork machine. The film plays to a shared cultural sense of suffering brought upon by universal conscription, where there are more soldiers than skilled positions and jobs like paper shredder are established to compensate. I can say from personal experience that it captures nihilism and narcissism that develops, where you scoff at one of their impudence and laziness as you do the same. It does mean that nobody is particularly likable, many would fall under loathsome. But there is some vicarious satisfaction at seeing people's schemes and venegence succeed.

There was fun personally, in seeing how much I could understand without having to rely wholly on subtitles. Even being able to hold a conversation in Hebrew, listening to others (particularly in movies) still causes me trouble. So it was reassuring to feel as if I had made some modicum of progress.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #374 on: August 29, 2015, 08:33:05 PM »
The Garden of Words

Just as good as the reviews said. When people were hyping it to be one of the greatest pieces of animation that anime had ever seen, I was skeptical. But it truly lived up to the hype. As an artist, I found it extremely gratifying to see shoes done so well; shoes are notoriously difficult in just about any art style, and uniquely difficult in anime due to the economy of lines that the style stresses. And the story was pleasant; it did a good job of not being sucked too much into typical drama, and the character development was just as high quality as any other Shinkai Makoto product. To top it all off, the voice acting was top of the line, with Hanazawa Kana, of recent Nisekoi fame (Onodera), really taking the cake when it comes to performance.

Big Hero 6

A huge disappointment. This movie did not live up to the hype. A stereotypical plot, a stereotypical deus ex, a stereotypical tragic backstory, a stereotypical cast of characters... this movie is dripping with stereotypes. Nevertheless, it continues to be popular among my friends because of the 'feels,' a.k.a. abrupt and sloppy killing off of one of their poorly built characters at the start of the movie. At least Baymax (the big balloon robot) was really cute.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 39   Go Up