Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 12:54:51 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 140707 times)

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #345 on: July 30, 2015, 09:24:35 PM »
...Psycho Pass movie, more of the same?

Putting aside every reason that's it's a different beast from both seasons, what happened to it being like Black Flag?
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• Flawfinder's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with printerthorn using Skype
    • Steam Community :: flawfinder
    • @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #346 on: July 31, 2015, 04:37:05 AM »
Changed the comparison to Brotherhood since then.

And seriously, the movie is just Psycho-Pass set in a jungle and with Akane not having her dominator for a large portion of it. Yeah, that's a big difference.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:14:25 AM by Mr. Flawfinder »
You're an anime. Animate something!

Offline Marid King

« Reply #347 on: July 31, 2015, 11:12:35 AM »
Psycho Pass was the single most thorough, fair, and interesting exploration of a setting in all of anime. Almost as important was it's exploration of people; who they are, what they believe, and how they ultimately fared under the system. To accomplish all that, Psycho Pass spent the vast majority of its time on quiet, expository scenes. I see a lot of people argue that Makishima isn't a villain at all, and they actually make a fair point. I completely disagree, but the debate can't be cleanly won by either side, and that is the sign of a show with depth.

More on fairness, because that was one of the most unique aspects of Psycho Pass. When I finished the show, I thought to myself, 'This ending is perfect. There's no other way to do it.' Then I found out a sizable fraction of viewers complained about the ending, because they were expecting them to blow up the Sybil System, which is ludicrous. The show spends it's entire run showing you different aspects and effects of the system on society and people; some of it is incredibly useful, some of it causes ethical issues like class division, and some of it is negative, like people becoming unable to cope with stress and violence. The show does not attempt to paint the system one color or another; it simply takes the idea as far as they could push it, shows you the results, and allows the characters to present opinions. That's a level of nuance and control on the writer's part that I haven't found elsewhere in anime. To watch this show, and conclude "BLOW IT UP LIKE THIS IS THE EXPENDABLES", is to have not paid any goddamn attention.

The Psycho Pass movie does not explore it's setting or it's characters, and it doesn't present any interesting ideas. Action for it's own sake is the most important aspect, followed by basically nothing. Saying that the series is the same thing as the movie is wildly inaccurate, and insulting to the former. Your Black Flag comparison, while a bit odd in that the sequel is way better, does capture the difference between the two; Black Flag ignores what it's predecessors did and focused on something completely different, in terms of gameplay.

...and seriously, the movie is not even set in a jungle. 

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #348 on: July 31, 2015, 11:52:24 AM »
Don't take everything I say so literally dude. And the Assassin's Creed comparison was in reference to how they're still prolonging the series even with what little main story there is is all but done.

And I could care less if my comparisons insult a movie/series that I have admitted to liking. They don't have feelings, so who cares?

Offline Marid King

« Reply #349 on: July 31, 2015, 12:41:11 PM »
I see a post with something I strongly disagree with in it, I take it seriously, and respond seriously. That's why I frequent this forum and not MAL, or any other.

I use the word "insulting" to express how much better I think the series is compared to the movie; to me, saying the two are equal is like calling the series trash, because that's what the movie is (hyperbole, but that's idea). Obviously I don't mean that either of them are literally offended and demand an apology.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #350 on: July 31, 2015, 12:53:55 PM »
When has "more of the same" EVER translated to just as good, let alone equal? Every single review I've seen that has used that phrase means it as a negative. *I* used it as a negative. Doesn't stop me from liking the movie, but I never said they were on the same level.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #351 on: July 31, 2015, 03:41:03 PM »
Replace "equal" with "similar" if it suits the phrase better. The point is that the movie and and the series are not the "same" in any sense of the word.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #352 on: August 07, 2015, 05:08:34 PM »
Not scoring anything anymore because I discovered you don't need to do that on here and honestly, I hate scores in general.

Fantastic Four (2015) - You remember that Parasyte anime from last Fall? How the presentation was rather dry, but the characterization carried it up until they started introducing supervillains, and then it turned into a shitty action series? That's the new Fantastic Four. Laaaaame.

Mushishi Suzu no Shizuku (2015) - Fitting end to the Mushishi series. I have no real complaints other than I hope we never get more of the series, because it's past its prime by now.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #353 on: August 07, 2015, 08:41:29 PM »
Mushishi Suzu no Shizuku (2015) - Fitting end to the Mushishi series. I have no real complaints other than I hope we never get more of the series, because it's past its prime by now.
The final seconds in which the episode title faded and wasn't replaced with a new one pretty much put a period on Mushishi. And there's no manga chapters left.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #354 on: August 08, 2015, 04:18:09 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about this one, but that's understandable considering what it is.

Parasyte: Part I (2014) - Not very good. Way too much happens in the movie and it botches most of its plot lines to boot. I stopped paying attention at the halfway point and all I remember was Shinichi taking down a Parasyte with a bow and arrow.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #355 on: August 08, 2015, 08:55:28 AM »
Fantastic Four (2015) - You remember that Parasyte anime from last Fall? How the presentation was rather dry, but the characterization carried it up until they started introducing supervillains, and then it turned into a shitty action series? That's the new Fantastic Four. Laaaaame.

Just watched this tonight.

I have to say, it was rather disappointing. I will never compare this with Parasyte though, because Parasyte was one of the best anime in recent times for me. How the movie narrates the beginnings of the F4 was actually great but it suffered from pacing issues (the pacing difference between F4 being captured and 1 year after was starking).

The saddest thing is how Doctor Doom is reduced to a mere cameo appearance/supervillain that only had a few minutes on screen. No sense of egomania or tragic past at all? How (ironically) tragic.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #356 on: August 08, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »

Just watched this tonight.

I have to say, it was rather disappointing. I will never compare this with Parasyte though, because Parasyte was one of the best anime in recent times for me. How the movie narrates the beginnings of the F4 was actually great but it suffered from pacing issues (the pacing difference between F4 being captured and 1 year after was starking).

The saddest thing is how Doctor Doom is reduced to a mere cameo appearance/supervillain that only had a few minutes on screen. No sense of egomania or tragic past at all? How (ironically) tragic.

I find it pretty hilarious how the Roger Corman Fantastic Four is better than last 3. Could tell this one was going a disater from the reshoots,the director not being to handle a big budget movie,and it going for "GRR DARK AND GRITTY" bullshit.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:10:20 PM by themaster20000 »
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #357 on: August 08, 2015, 11:08:33 AM »
I heard that the director was booted off the movie and they edited his film, so not even the director is happy with it which says all you need to know about F4 movie.

Offline KS

« Reply #358 on: August 08, 2015, 12:57:06 PM »
Fantastic Four is like the most hilarious doomed and plagued of all Marvel Universe franchises.  I swear you could probably do something good with the whole Reed vs. Victor or Silver Surfer vs. Galactus mechanics nowadays and have it be pretty interesting too provided the write kind of director and writing team.  Also I hope that "Grrr Dark and gritty bullshit" isn't the new trend with comic book movies because I think that would be missing the point entirely and yet it seems like Man of Steel might be a pace setter for that sort of thing. 

The main reason I've enjoyed the Marvel Universe stuff up until now has had to do with the character dynamics, how they play off of each other and the struggles of the heroes to manage their own lives and personal problems while still trying to be heroes.  Characters like Loki or Wilson Fisk also make very charismatic, flawed, kind of human but nonetheless great villains you just love to hate, but not without being able to understand on some relatable level what makes them tick.  Galactus is like a force of nature more than an outright villain too so again there's an opportunity to do something interesting there.

In contrast characters like Zod could be interesting if explored more (I wish that movie had shown some sort of flashback of him actually being a hero for Krypton and why it's such a shock that he led a coup d'etat instead of just saying that's his role) , just his movie seems more concerned with him trying to **** over Kal-El and Earth out of some petty squabble with Jor-El that has carried over and also has a strange fascination with Gunmetal grey.

Fantastic Four
2015 film
4.3/10·IMDb
9%·Rotten Tomatoes
27%·Metacritic

OUCH!   It'd be kind of hilarious if Fantastic Four (2015) proves to be the start of another downturn in comic book movie popularity.  Given it's low opening gross and early reviews it's looking pretty safe to say the Fantastic Four banner is pure box office poison in any case.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #359 on: August 08, 2015, 04:51:37 PM »
Also I hope that "Grrr Dark and gritty bullshit" isn't the new trend with comic book movies because I think that would be missing the point entirely and yet it seems like Man of Steel might be a pace setter for that sort of thing.

Considering The Dark Knight and Man of Steel (and Watchmen for that matter) have been some of my favorite superhero films in the last few years - which is ironic because I'm much more of a Marvel fan than I am a DC one - I say we get more of the dark stuff as long as it's executed as well as them (and not like those Amazing Spiderman films). It may miss the point, but at least there'd be some actual stories to go along with the characters.

The main reason I've enjoyed the Marvel Universe stuff up until now has had to do with the character dynamics, how they play off of each other and the struggles of the heroes to manage their own lives and personal problems while still trying to be heroes.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that sort of "character dynamics as substance" method of storytelling that stuff like Spice and Wolf, Mass Effect, Guy Ritchie movies in general (although I'm still watching The Man from UNCLE anyways), and Iron Man occupy. It's like cover-based combat in shooters in that I'm fine when it's used as a tool for something larger (ex. The Dark Knight), but on their own, they start out cute at best but get old really fast. As such, I was fine with Fantastic Four using the gritty to convey how talent/super powers can be exploited. I was not fine with Dr. Doom showing up and turning the whole thing into a stupid action scene that throws away said previous story.

And whilst I compared the final stretch to how Parasyte fell off in quality, that anime was ultimately using that giant mutant Parasyte as a tool to convey that humans ultimately fought for themselves. I don't know what the f*** the fight with Dr. Doom was supposed to convey other than "oh right, we're a superhero movie. Let's do what superhero movies do and fight bad guys".
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 05:22:12 PM by Mr. Flawfinder »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 39   Go Up