Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 18, 2017, 03:55:55 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 143349 times)

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• Flawfinder's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with printerthorn using Skype
    • Steam Community :: flawfinder
    • @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #330 on: July 03, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »
Terminator Genisys (2015) - Starts off alright if you take it as a stand-alone entry. Gets really bad once Kyle and Sarah time travel to the year 2017. I fell asleep for a few minutes into that act partly because I was real tired and partly because it was just so boring and generic. Arnold was fun in it though. 5/10.
You're an anime. Animate something!

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #331 on: July 11, 2015, 09:53:26 PM »
Self/less (2015) - Meh, not one of Tarsem's more memorable movies. Had some nice cinematography and starts off interestingly, but the story becomes generic very quick when Ryan Reynolds decides to just play Ryan Reynolds rather than Ben Kingsley in Ryan Reynolds' body. 5/10

Hana and Alice (2004) - I would have liked this movie if a) the story was more ambitious than just your average teenage self-realization plot b) trimmed thirty or so minutes of content from the final product. The love triangle didn't annoy me since that was merely a tool for characterization, but it wasn't entertaining, and neither were the other plot points that resulted from it. As good as the dancing is, it gets old after a while. 5/10

Little Witch Academia 2 (2015) - Couldn't even finish this thing. It was so earth-shatteringly boring and devoid of anything I consider entertainment aside from how it looked, which doesn't help because LWA2 (and LWA1 for that matter) don't use said visuals for anything all that interesting. Worse yet, it was twice as long as the last one! Two big "f*** you Studio Trigger"s/10
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 10:42:15 PM by Mr. Flawfinder »

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #332 on: July 18, 2015, 11:06:30 AM »
Ant Man (2015) - Not as bad as July's other summer movies, but Ant Man suffers from the same problems all the other Marvel Universe movies do. Some kinda amusing jokes and decent actors that are unfortunately let down by a severe lack of story. And it's a pity, because it started off interesting with regards to the main character being a thief. 5/10

Happiness of the Katakuris (2001) - Still haven't found a tongue-in-cheek zombie movie I've loved and this didn't change that, but it was a fun time. It's a better mixture of zombie apocalypse and happy musical than Nudist Colony of the Dead, and Miike's usual quirks add to the upbeat flavor. 7/10

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #333 on: July 18, 2015, 11:32:09 AM »
I watched Big Hero 6.

What? Opinion? Well, if you'd told me that before I'd have taken notes. I don't know. Forgotten most of it. Except that it had a big marshmallow and Prince of Persia's Alchemist in it. Maybe.
Ok, fine, jokes aside, except for its technical visual and design merits, its an entirely unremarkable work. The only remark-worthy thing is that Callahan gets too little screentime.

I also watched the LWA: Enchanted Parade thing.

/See above.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #335 on: July 23, 2015, 02:16:26 PM »
"Yep", or "Why I Don't Watch Movies Anymore".

It's not like I watch these Marvel movies (or these unnecessary franchise sequels for that matter) because I think they're going to be good. I've watched all of them, I haven't enjoyed a single one (well, Iron Man 3 was okay), and overall I hate how you "have" to watch all these movies in order to get the full story, and a lousy one at that. But I'm as much a movie fan as I am an anime one (almost moreso because movies are mostly only two hours long), and just like anime, I keep up with all the geekery**.

Now back to the movie judgments:

The Bird People In China (1998) - Not really the kind of religious movie that I'm interested in. If you are, you'll probably love this. 6/10.

Metropolis (2001) - The anime one. And I'm not grading this one because I didn't finish it. Love the visuals, but the thing refused to make the characters do anything interesting and after 50 minutes of nothing happening, I decided I was better off watching the original black and white film.

** Of course, I have my limits. It'll be a cold day in hell before I sit down and watch Kung Fu Panda 3.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #336 on: July 23, 2015, 03:51:10 PM »
How about watching a good movie in theaters like Love and Mercy rather than the "must see" box office hit of the weekend :p.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #337 on: July 23, 2015, 03:55:28 PM »
Not really interested in the biopic genre and it's not showing in my area anyways.

Offline KS

« Reply #338 on: July 23, 2015, 05:57:46 PM »
How about watching a good movie in theaters like Love and Mercy rather than the "must see" box office hit of the weekend :p.

But what could be worth it but for Jurassic World in IMAX with YOUR Jurassic sized Popcorn and Soda with Candy for $50.  Chris Pratt is such an inspiring actor after all.   ;D

Honestly I actually kind of like most of the Marvel universe movies.  They could just be the cheesy Superhero flicks of the early 2000s but I think they've done a great job of usually capturing what made people interested in superheroes in the first place and just being good entertainment and sometimes character pieces.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:56:30 PM by KS »

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #339 on: July 25, 2015, 10:26:11 AM »
Pixels (2015) - Of course this was going to be bad. I mean it has Adam Sandler and Kevin James in it (and Peter Dinklage, but Happy Madison has been ruining good actors for years, so his involvement doesn't help). The only nice thing I have to say about this movie is that by Sandler standards, it's not THAT bad. 3/10.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #340 on: July 25, 2015, 11:29:08 AM »
I have another large list of movies to dump here, again, but I'm waiting to access my word file -- I saving up for a new computer, and all my movie lists are currently on dropbox.

I will say, documentary fans should definitely check out Amy. This documentary, which focuses on Amy Winehouse's life and talents up to her "success" and death, is about as intimate as a movie can get. Since I live under a rock, I knew absolutely nothing about her before watching the movie. After viewing, I felt as if I knew and appreciated her as well as a close friend. At the end of the day, I lamented the loss of her struggle against drugs and alcohol just as much as the loss of great talent. You've heard it before -- fame and money don't make your life grander. But I feel as if a narrative can only go so far to "prove" this. While movies like Birdman and Whiplash are certainly visceral experiences, I don't think the fact really hit me as hard until I watched Amy.

Take away: I need to watch more documentaries.

Also notable is The Gallows, for having such an obnoxious main character that I actually clapped when he finally got killed by the movie's ghost (who really has no stated reason to be going around killing millennials in the first place). Coupled with that is the fact that said character basically decides to film himself and his friends sabotaging a school play for no stated reason. Coupled with that is the fact that said titular play is the same play in which the movie's ghost got killed in the first place - and the movie takes place only ten years after the tragic event supposedly happened. Also, another character puts so much faith in the police (that aren't even in the school) that he runs back into the (obviously) haunted building instead of continuing his escape. I suppose the police have enlisted ghostbusters in this movie's universe.

The first two Terminator movies, Trainwreck, and Me and Earl and the Dying Girl were also good.

Other than this, no movies have really impressed or interested me since.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 11:49:48 AM by Kiniest »
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #341 on: July 25, 2015, 07:52:18 PM »
Movies like The Fast and the Furious generally don't appeal to me. But it's what my bunk mates insisted on, so now I am five movies later wel acquainted with the franshise and only halting the marathon because I have somewhere to be in the morning. Before saying anything about the films individually, they all pretty much the same product aside from 3. The plots are interchangeable, the characters bland, the acting passable, and the sexism rampant. But nobody sits through these movies for that so I tried to shut off compartments of my brain dedicated to higher thinking and enjoy these soley on the vehicle stunts.

1. Any movie where a car explodes in a green fireball has already gotten my attention. The thing I found interesting about this one was how it at least tried to appeal specifically to auto enthusiasts. I kind of snickered nerds in the same way any normal person would when listenin to me talk about anime.

2. I won't lie, I fell asleep before the climax here, but I don't feel like I missed much. As obvious a sequel as it could be, and despite the more intense car scenes and more coherent plot, it didn't leave me feel like I got anything extra out of it.

3. I'm no Paul Walker fan. But even then I fail to see the point of this film. It's like doing Home Alone without Macully Culkin. Watching obviously 30 year olds act in a played out high school drama was painful to say the least, and the driving took a steep nosedive in quality here. God this oboe sucked.

4. Bit of a soft reboot is welcome here, even if is basically just a retread of 2. The heist at the beginning set the action standard high, though never really matched it in the film proper. Points though for giving Michelle Rodreguez something badass to do. Points taken away for wasting her in the first 15 minutes. Likewise I am nationally obligated to give praise to any project involving Gal Gadot even if she didn't have much to do.

5. For a movie that is pretty much a poor/dumb man's Ocean's 11, I actually kind of enjoyed this one. The amount of gunplay compared to car chases was a little too high. But there was enough variety in the set pieces and the climax got me to ignore every single way the laws of physics are being broken. 

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #342 on: July 26, 2015, 11:41:58 AM »
My personal ranking of the FF movies:

5 > 6 > 7 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 2

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #343 on: July 29, 2015, 02:06:34 PM »
Gangs of Wasseypur - A 5 and a half-hour gangster epic. You see the cycle of violence between these two families which span decades. The direction and camera work is excellent.Great performances from everyone. Don't let the run-time deter you,since the film never feels padded out at all.
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #344 on: July 30, 2015, 09:05:12 PM »
Christ alive. Finally, this lousy month actually produced some good movies. Saving the best for last, aren't you July?

Psycho-Pass Movie (2015) - Liked this movie a fair amount. It's a side-story film that's really more of the same because why fix what's not broken, but it's one that's fun to watch. Pacing is good, action is good, characters were fun (even the villain who might as well have had evil theme music accompanying him), and the philosophy is still nowhere near as smart as it thinks it is. Not exactly Inception in terms of big-budget, idea-driven action films and it's unnecessary at the end of the day, but the camp factor sold me.

Vacation (2015) - I absolutely love the original Vacation movie. It's my favorite movie of 1983 (admittedly competition sucked that year) and one of my favorite comedies ever, so I was cautious going into this one. Whilst the idea that the Griswold kids would grow up into Ed Helms and...um...that bimbo that's apparently the daughter is kind of stretching it and the entire film is obviously a nostalgia-bait cash-in, I actually liked this new Vacation film. I know the critics hated the amount of dick jokes and a bunch of them did fall flat, but the ones that hit were funny. Loved everything related to the car along with questioning why one of the buttons had a swastika on it. Way more entertaining than those post-Christmas entries, that's for sure.

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (2015) - Everything I liked about the Psycho-Pass film, the new Mission Impossible also did and did it better to boot. Story is pretty typical for the spy genre, but the action set pieces and overall tension make this movie, even moreso than Ghost Protocol since the villain is more interesting in this. Not sure if I'd classify Tom Cruise as one of this generation's action stars as aside from Mission Impossible, I'm not too big into his other action films (Edge of Tomorrow for one), but he's good here and I'm really glad the Mission Impossible series is transforming into something good after that rather mediocre trilogy (though I kinda like the first one even if it craps over the TV show and the script wasn't that good).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:23:22 PM by Mr. Flawfinder »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39   Go Up