Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 01:26:25 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 140638 times)

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #225 on: January 31, 2011, 10:44:41 PM »
The Room: 11/10...or is it -1/10

The Rocky Horror Picture Show of this generation. There are just so many things wrong with this movie that they come together to make something so right. I'm not one to praise something simply for being awful, but The Room transcends all concepts of horrible and becomes a sort of modern art piece. As a side note, I'm really jealous that my brother got to watch the movie with Tommy Wiseau at the screening.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #226 on: February 12, 2011, 11:08:02 AM »
I kept meaning to come back and post in this thread again, so now is as good a time as any! I'll just do a quick run-through of everything I've seen for the first time this year (tl;dr forthcoming):

The Descent: Pretty good horror flick, though the underground cave monsters were a bit much for me after a while. (7/10)

Gundam 00: Awakening of the Trailblazer: Awful. I don't even want to talk about this anymore. (4/10)

Village of the Damned: Not a bad horror flick for the time, although it takes a while to get going. (7/10)

Children of the Damned: Some interesting ideas, but also a bunch of unintentional hilarity. (6/10)

Trigun: Badlands Rumble: Lot of fun -- made me want to watch Trigun again. (8/10)

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 1st: My first experience with anything Nanoha. Generally liked it, naked little girls aside. (8/10)

Black Swan: Absolutely loved it. Hit every note with me; very glad I went to the theater to see this. (10/10)

Scarface: There aren't many things more fun than Al Pacino hamming it up. (8/10)

Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned: Hahaha. A must for anyone who enjoys shitty anime dubs. (3/10)

True Grit: Fun movie. I always enjoy a good western. (8/10)

The Quick and the Dead: Bit repetitive in structure, and I found the main character totally unbelievable at times, but hey, Sam Raimi doing a western. (7/10)

High Sierra: Solid crime flick that is totally weighed down by romance that is as corny and annoying as anything from the era. (6/10)

Shutter Island: Loved the style, hated the story. (6/10)

A Serious Man: Actually more laugh out loud funny than I expected, although the ending is abrupt. (8/10)

Kite: Basically the kind of superviolent, sexually explicit kind of flick people associated with anime for a long time. But the action set pieces are good and ridiculous enough for it to be enjoyable. (7/10)

Broken Blade 3: I'm just in it for the mecha battles at this point. And this movie has a damn good one. (8/10)

Kite Liberator: Utter shit. The story is stupid, and the action isn't anywhere near as good as the original despite being made just three years ago. (5/10)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2011, 06:18:14 PM »
Star Trek (2009) - 9/10

One of the best sci-fi movies I've ever watched, and that's saying something when sci-fi is one of my least favorite genres. The pace is hasty at times and the storyline can be a little hard to follow (at least for me), but it's a great movie that revives a classic saga.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #228 on: March 06, 2011, 08:17:26 AM »
I need to do this more often than once every few weeks ...

Machete: For what it is, I think it's a fun movie. (7/10)

The Manchurian Candidate (2004): Much better than I thought it would be. Has enough of the original while still being its own movie. (7/10)

The Prince of Tennis: The Two Samurai, The First Game: Lots of 'the'. Is all of Prince of Tennis this ****ing goofy? (5/10)

Notes on a Scandal: Pretty good, though I think it tries a bit too hard to make Cate Blanchett's character sympathetic by overdosing on Judi Dench's crazy. (8/10)

The American: This is a total throwback to the 1970s. Slow-moving and introspective, and I totally ate it up. (8/10)

King of Thorn: I was kind of into it, but not really. The ending twist mostly made me react like, "Huh." (6/10)

The Expendables: Hated it, not a worthy throwback to the great '80s action flicks at all. (4/10)

Sword of the Stranger: Story's nothing too special, but the action is fantastic. (7/10)

The Hangover: Totally late to the party on this, but I laughed my ass off. (9/10)

Welcome to the Space Show: Not to give too much away from my impending review, but it's pretty and the story falls apart at the end. (6/10)

Broken Blade 4: Didn't like it quite as much as the previous movie; however, the fights are still entertaining. (7/10)

The Social Network: Pretty good. Definitely as interesting as most say it is. (8/10)

Neo Tokyo: Solid set of shorts, but they all feel abbreviated. I liked Robot Carnival more. (7/10)

Dreamcatcher: LOL (2/10)

Red: Much like Machete, fun for what it is. (7/10)

Offline Kaikyaku

• Reviewer

« Reply #229 on: March 06, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
Breakfast at Tiffany's - 7/10

I've always been curious about this movie and so I grabbed the opportunity to check it out when it came on TV recently. I wasn't really sure what it was even about but honestly, I was a bit disappointed. The acting was well done and the romance that blossoms between the two leads was believable, but I just found it impossible to feel sorry for a couple of people who lived in nice apartments in New York, lived off of other people's money, and were supposed to "have it so hard". I just couldn't sympathize with them. It was still a decent movie and I enjoyed it, but I never would have pegged it for a classic.

Alice in Wonderland - 7/10

The visuals in the Tim Burton film were amazing, as to be expected, but the story felt to disjointed to really get into. Alice never gives a real reason why she can't slay the jabberwocky, and considering what else she had already gone through, why wouldn't she give it a try?

Return to OZ - 8/10

I remembered seeing this movie as a kid and it somehow came up the other day in a conversation. Afterwards I went and watched it again on YouTube and I genuinely like this movie. It's a much darker look at OZ, but it's well acted, the art direction is incredible, it's scary (for kids) and there are no annoying characters (which is uncommon in a kids movie). Reading some reviews after I watched it, it amazing to see how many people hated this movie. Gene Siskel even said that it was so bad that we he died he would think about the two hours of happiness he missed out on because he watched this movie. That's pretty harsh. But why? Because it's not the happy, bright, colourful OZ of the first film? You can't honestly tell me that the original was better acted or less corny than the 1985 film. I loved this movie as a kid and it's always stuck with me. I still think it is legitimately good, and I'm glad to have given my two hours to it.

P.S. See, this is me posting to show off my new avatar and sig, as promised ;)

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #230 on: March 07, 2011, 01:46:49 AM »
Notes on a Scandal: Pretty good, though I think it tries a bit too hard to make Cate Blanchett's character sympathetic by overdosing on Judi Dench's crazy. (8/10)
Man, sometimes I feel like the only person who didn't like this movie.  I thought it was melodramatic garbage and I hated the characters.  It also had a typically pretentious soundtrack from Phillip Glass, a composer who just annoys me.  The acting from Dench and Blanchett was about the only good thing in the movie.

Edit: Also, I'd have given The Social Network a higher rating.

Offline Elineas

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #231 on: March 07, 2011, 01:10:27 PM »
The Social Network: Pretty good. Definitely as interesting as most say it is. (8/10)

The Social Network is more or less Aaron Sorkin proving that he's still got it after his phenomenal work on The West Wing, backed by a strong cast and staff. That makes me rather biased, but like Sorrow-kun I'd rate it higher.

That also reminds me that I need to watch The King's Speech at some point. I could have watched it during winter break, but nooooooo, my cousin and his friends insisted on watching the crap that was Tron...

Offline DrIdiot

• DrIdiot's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #232 on: March 07, 2011, 07:26:14 PM »
Man, I just saw The Adjustment Bureau.

Worst ending I've seen in a long time.  I just felt so... empty.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The resolution consists of the antagonists suddenly giving up (after a kiss, no less) because the whole conflict was just a giant tease.

6/10?

Offline Fumoffu!!

• Head of the Zwei
  • Pedantic Nitpicker
    • Infinite's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #233 on: March 08, 2011, 08:20:42 AM »
King's Speech.

Good film, though I couldn't handle many of the awkward moments. The acting was very good, Colin Firth didn't win all those awards for nothing. I wouldn't give it a 10/10 though, maybe it wasn't my type of film or maybe it was some other issue, but I'd give it 9/10

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »
I'm terrible at this.

Wag the Dog: Liked this a lot, although there are only a couple of big laughs for me -- more of a "nod your head knowingly" satire than a "laugh out loud" one, but I don't hold that against the movie at all. Liked the device of never showing the president's face to emphasize the amount of power the spin doctors hold. (8/10)

The Naked Gun: I thought it might be awkward to watch considering O.J. Simpson is a horrible murderer and all, but it turns out he's in horrible pain the whole movie, so it's OK! Also, Leslie Nielsen is still the greatest. (8/10)

Dirty Work: Really only funny if you're a fan of Norm Macdonald. He shamelessly crams his whole comedy routine into the story, but it makes me laugh, so I didn't care. (7/10)

8mm: Better than expected, actually. Didn't feel too over the top or exploitative like I thought it might. (7/10)

The Wicker Man: The remake with Nicolas Cage. Came in expecting a hilariously dumb movie, but it's that for only the final 15 minutes or so. The rest is just stupid and boring. Stick to the YouTube video showing the funny parts. (3/10)

Blood: The Last Vampire: Looks really good, but the grimdark elements had me laughing the whole, particularly how Serious Business Saya is. Her facial expressions in particular just kill me. (6/10)

Winter's Bone: Good movie, but definitely one that benefits from the expanded Best Picture field. It's noir in an interesting setting, though, and there are some really intense moments late in the movie. (8/10)

The Road: Too depressing for me, and that's saying a lot. Well made, but holy god a chore to watch. (7/10)

Heartcatch Precure! movie: Eh, nice to see these characters again, but the movie as a whole feels kind of lifeless. (6/10)

Broadcast News: Loved this. Doesn't measure up to a classic like Network, but it's only a tier below. I especially like its depiction of total messed-up workaholics, and the ending feels true to the characters and their development, which is rare for a movie with a freakin' romantic triangle of all things. (9/10)

Bulletproof: Watched this solely due to this scene, but it's a paint-by-numbers '80s action flick rather than a gloriously over-the-top one like you'd expect from Arnold Schwarzenegger or Sylvester Stallone or whoever. (3/10)

Dead Leaves: As an empty action flick I enjoyed it, but much like Panty and Stocking, some things work well and others fall flat due to being shocking purely for its own sake. (6/10)

Dirty Dancing: Paint-by-numbers romance, made somewhat bearable because Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze are the most bizarrely appealing couple I've seen in one of these. They don't look like they should fit at all, and yet they do. But not enough to save how utterly predictable this movie is. (6/10)

Hot Tub Time Machine: Liked it more than expected, although I could really do without extreme gross-out humor. I don't think I've laughed at projectile vomiting since I was in middle school, and I don't exactly have a high-brow sense of humor. (7/10)

Eureka Seven: Pocketful of Rainbows: Pretty as expected, but made no ****ing sense at all to me, and I've seen the series twice. (6/10)

Cloverfield: For what it is, I think it's pretty damn good. Intense, well made, puts you in the middle of a confusing, horrific situation, and doesn't go on any longer than it should. Kind of wish I'd seen this in the theater now. (8/10)

Best in Show: A good, simple idea mined for tons of comedy gold. My favorite characters are the crazy yuppie couple who seem to get off on being utter bastards to each other. I was dying during Parker Posey's journey for a new squeaky bee toy. I need to see the rest of the Christopher Guest mockumentaries post haste. (Don't worry, I've already seen This Is Spinal Tap. :p) (8/10)

Play Misty for Me: A solid thriller pushed up a step by how god damn insane Jessica Walter is as the stalker chick. Good lord. If I saw her in person, I would flee for my life. Even Clint Eastwood is afraid of her! (8/10)

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #235 on: July 04, 2011, 08:35:37 AM »
The Fall: 8/10

Not the best movie when it comes to plot, but perhaps the among the greatest movies ever in terms of visual style. I'm still beside myself to know that every shot in this film was pulled off during principal photography without the help of CG or other advanced special effects. Every shot is genuine, and while many of the locations are well known landmarks like the Taj Mahal or Giza Necropolis (which is not surprising considering the framing device) the are some places this movie goes that I'm beside myself actually exist in real life. And while the movie is in many ways a surreal sight seeing tour, the way in which it is put together changes everything, a silly little story a man is using to hook up with some drugs, seen through the imagination of a little girl.

Offline Kaikyaku

• Reviewer

« Reply #236 on: July 10, 2011, 11:58:29 PM »
I've watched three movies is the last four days. Perhaps I have too much time on my hands.

Memoirs of a Geisha - I set myself up for disappointment on this one, having just finished reading the book a week ago. I was told the movie wasn't as good, but I was curious. It suffers from the typical book adaptation problem of trying to squish everything in and not giving anything quite as much detail as it had in the book. The relationships are not as well developed. The insight into the Geisha world is not as deep. However, it is a beautiful movie in that the costumes and sets are all very well done. I have to wonder, though at the choice to use actors who didn't speak English. While it's obvious that they tried, the dialogue was stunted by their lack of fluency. I would have preferred to watch it in Japanese with subtitles or with English speaking Asian actors. Their attempt to make it more culturally authentic made it less emotionally authentic.

Atanarjuat (The Fast Runner) - This movie has been on my to see list for a while now, so I was excited to find it at the library. It's an Inuit film entirely in the Inuktitut language and tells the story of an ancient Inuit legend. An evil spirit infiltrates a small group of Inuit around 1000 AD and manifests itself by turning one family "evil" (for lack of a better word). Many years later, Atanarjuat is competing against one of the "evil" sons for the hand of a young woman and this sparks a rivalry made worse by the meddling of the sister. It all unfolds as a kind of Inuit soap opera, but much more subtle. Admittedly, the story is a bit tricky to follow as it's hard to keep track of some characters over the generations, but the film managed to completely suck me into another, very harsh, world. All of the props and costumes were constructed in the traditional way and just seeing how these groups lived is fascinating. Plus the actors do a really good job. Some scenes must have been horrible to film - I am thinking especially of one scene where Atanarjuat runs naked across the frozen lake trying to evade the "evil" son. The story takes it time, and the result is a very different kind of movie than I was used to seeing. It's slow and intense, but also fascinating and refreshing.

Offline DrIdiot

« Reply #237 on: September 05, 2011, 11:28:09 PM »
You've Got Mail
Watched it in China because I had nothing better to do in Anshan.  Do yourself a favor and don't go.  Do yourself another favor and don't watch this movie.  The dialogue made me cringe, the acting was exaggerated, and what the fk is Dave Chapelle doing in this garbage movie?
4/10

Thor
Yawn.  Predictable and boring.  Five minutes in, one can literally deduce the remainder of the movie.
4/10

True Grit
Standard Coen brothers.  Jeff Bridges is awesome, though you can't understand what he's saying half the time (I suppose that is the point).  Brings out the setting well, good dialogue, beautiful cinematography.  Basically exactly what you'd expect from a Coen brothers remake, so, pretty damn good.
9/10

Winter's Bone
Also a great movie.  You don't see a lot of movies like this, set in the backwoods, a modern fringe of civilization.
9/10

30 Minutes Or Less
Yeah, watch the trailer.  It's what you'd expect.
6/10

Miller's Crossing
Coen treatment of gangster films.  See what I said for True Grit.  The gorilla scene was great.
9/10

Arrietty
The animation is gorgeous.  But I can't help but feel there's little meaning to this movie.
7/10

Battle LA:
I watched this on a bus in China.  It's pretty awful.  Standard military drama.
5/10

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #238 on: September 06, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »
Watched Surrogates for the first time yesterday and I think I got more out of it being aware of the growing problem of hikikomoriism.  Though perhaps that doesn't matter as much when you realize that most of these people are using these surrogates to cope with their self esteem issues brought about by a sensationalized and unrealistic depiction of beauty that we have now.

Since this is one of those "world gone mad" shows that we can't quite understand unless we're in the movie, some of the drama went over my head (and I let it, because I didn't want to think about it).  But Bruce Willis does an okay job in this, so much so that I almost didn't recognize him in his surrogate body (he has hair!... which is done for a glaringly obvious reason if anybody has ever seen Bruce Willis before).  James Cromwell is probably one of my favorite, and criminally under appreciated, actors and he does a really good job here in several scenes depicting a sort of agoraphobic Steve Jobs.  The twists of the movie's plot are done well enough that you're actually caught off guard, but once you know them, the rest of the movie is kind of ruined.

I say that because the "tweest" is revealed just a little over halfway into it, and so the rest of the movie you're not surprised by anything.  There's a scene where Willis' character walks through a hallway full of surrogate bodies and the way the director shoots the scene leads you to believe that THIS was when he wanted to reveal the truth, but for some reason went back and shot the earlier scene and killed the mood.  You'll know it when you see it.

Probably the only thing I really did like about the movie was the ending.  No, not because it was what I would have done or what was morally correct or whatever, but because it reminded me of a Fallout final quest.  Y'know, one of those things where you can do what the "antagonist" wants or what the "good guy" wants but if you want you can do your own thing and choose a third option that fits your ideals better?  That's what happens here.  Made me smile.

However, because of that, the ending is a little too neat and tidy (and sappy).

6/10
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline DrIdiot

« Reply #239 on: October 20, 2011, 11:51:22 PM »
Floating Weeds- Ozu
9/10

Some really great, random lines come from this film about a troupe of actors in a small town.

"What a big mouth she has." (Referring to the cute daughter of the barber.)
"I want to eat a cutlet." (In response to a very pessimistic line.)

I prefer it to "Tokyo Story" (Ozu's 1953 film about an elderly couple that comes to Tokyo to visit their children). Maybe it was a bit more "Western-y." Or maybe it was just simply the fact that there isn't a really annoying scene at the end--I've seen "Tokyo Story" twice and both times I really disliked the dialogue between Noriko and the father at the end. But that's just me. Other than that, "Tokyo Story" is amazing.

I just watched Tokyo Story.  The cinematography is really great, it really makes full use of the still camera to get some really nice angles.  Particularly when the family is in mourning, you get these angles where you can see profiles of four faces in one shot, each at a different level of focus.  And then they talk to each other.  It's great.

I didn't have that much of a problem with that last conversation.  The whole film I felt Noriko was putting on a face (I mean she literally was), and it all kind of broke out.  I think rather it would have been odd if nothing had happened.

Anyway, great movie.  9/10?

I'll check out Floating Weeds.

Also: King's Speech.  I actually thought it was very very very mediocre.  Colin Firth did really well, but otherwise, it really didn't stand out to me as anything other than a reasonably well executed but ultimately very forgettable biopic.  So I have a hard time giving it anything more than a 7 or 8/10.

Same goes with The Fighter, which I thought was better maybe because I'm not an Anglophobe and because I have some sort of connection with that city in The Fighter... and maybe because I personally prefer stories about the working class over the royal family for whatever reason.

If it were up to me, True Grit would have taken away half the Oscars because other than True Grit I thought everything was mediocre to shitty that year.  True Grit is the only movie from 2010 that I will remember in ten years.

Edit 2: I'm revising my rating of Longest Night In Shanghai to a 7/10, and it's only that high because Zhao Wei is hot and because I want to see more China-Japan collaboration.  I don't know what I was on when I rated it that high, jesus.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:04:25 AM by DrIdiot »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 39   Go Up