Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 08:04:01 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 143151 times)

Offline DrIdiot

• DrIdiot's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2010, 11:58:35 PM »
A City of Sadness
Movie about the Taiwanese White Terror (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Terror_%28Taiwan%29).  Pretty good, but the subs I got were garbage.  Don't understand Taiwanese, so I had some trouble.  Interesting thing to note: they used "nii-san", "tou-san" and "ji-san" -- I'm guessing influence from 50 years of Japanese occupation.

Intolerable Cruelty
Coen brothers film.  I thought it was pretty fun -- not my favorite Coen brothers film, but definitely worth watching nonetheless.  Pretty much any time anyone died, it was hilarious (Coen brothers are masters of black humor).  And the PI is the shit.

The Man Who Wasn't There
Another Coen brothers film.  More serious.  Same sort of deal as Intolerable Cruelty, except it's not a comedy.  Very Coen-esque.  Not their best, but still definitely a good watch.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #196 on: August 20, 2010, 12:49:23 AM »
Dark City (1998)
by Alex Proyas

"I have become the monster you were intended to be."

Here is a well-crafted neo-noir. And a powerful illusion for a science-fiction. An engaging flick from head to toe, easily likable, wonderfully imaginative. It takes you places, beyond the stars, like only your imagination in its wildest adrenaline rush. Though some questionable avoidance of logic tampers the cohesion of the plot, its sweeping pace and enlightening payoffs earn Dark City's spot on many favorites and top-ten lists.

And who cannot resist that voluptuous woman, rounder than in most films, but still robust and beautiful: Jennifer Connelly. Kiefer Sutherland does win our applause every time he speaks as Dr. Schreber, but it is Rufus Sewell's enigmatic, frustrated portrayal of John Murdoch that seals our faith in the story's emotional arch.

9/10

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2010, 09:02:34 AM »
Machete 5/10

The action scenes were fun.  Everything else was not.  The movie did make cogent points about illegal immigration in the States, but this was not the right platform to make those statemetns.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #198 on: September 14, 2010, 12:06:36 AM »
Haven't seen Machete yet, but from what I've been hearing the illegal immigrant stuff is extremely heavy handed but also really ****ing contradictory.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #199 on: November 30, 2010, 10:56:25 PM »
The Godfather:10

Certainly one of those movies that you just can't grasp the greatness of without seeing if for yourself. Pop culture and common knowledge have certainly made just about every scene in this movie familiar. However, this is one of those movies where even what you know doesn't spoil anything. For one scene in particular, it only made the film better. From the get go, Marlon Brando just steals the show (as he did in On The Waterfront and what I assume he'll do when I see Apocolypse Now). And even though the movie is really about Michael, the character of Vito Corleone becomes infinitely more interesting just by how Brando sells the role. However, where Pachino pales in comparison to Brando in terms of acting, storywise, he is absolutely brilliant. His transformation from prodigal son to Godfather is fascinating to no end as the circumstances continue uping the ante culminating in his rebirth at during the baptism at the end. It is really the kind of film that Francis Ford Coppola's friend George Lucas should have paid attention to when he decided to establish Darth Vader's origins.

Will add in parts II and III shortly.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:01:48 PM by Kavik Ryx »

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #200 on: November 30, 2010, 11:05:49 PM »
Part II is almost as good.  And when I say "almost" in comparison with The Godfather, I don't say that lightly.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #201 on: November 30, 2010, 11:37:03 PM »
Will add in parts II and III shortly.

Do yourself a favor and pretend III doesn't exist.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #202 on: November 30, 2010, 11:55:36 PM »
I and II are both of masterpiece tier, some will like I better others II better, I thought II was more powerful generally speaking. It's not that III is a HORRIBLE movie, it's an 'ok' movie. But yea, it's better to pretend it doesn't exist as to not defile previous two masterpieces.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #203 on: December 01, 2010, 12:13:18 AM »
III isn't a bad movie.  It's just no where near as good as the other two.

Offline Mesachie

• hyas wawa/cultus wawa

« Reply #204 on: December 01, 2010, 12:18:01 PM »
Godfather 1 is great and Godfather II is, perhaps, even better.  I found it a more compelling story anyway.  Godfather III, however, is kay double-ahr aye pee, in my view and does not exist in any dwelling I own or rent.  But it should be watched so that you can either agree with me or not.  I prefer Plan 9 from Outer Space to Godfather III.   

Recently watched: Last night we started Old Boy and finished it this evening.  We started Midnight Sun tonight and will finish it tomorrow evening.  Both were chosen due to either reviews here or comments made in the forum.  So far, very good!

Mesachie
Nothing is more delicious than the memory of that delectable space between her hem and stocking top.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #205 on: December 01, 2010, 08:12:02 PM »
Actually, I think I rated Midnight Sun a tad too high. After giving it more thought, I think the more appropriate grade for me would be an 8. I couldn't really remember why I gave it such a high grade.

Offline Mesachie

• hyas wawa/cultus wawa

« Reply #206 on: December 02, 2010, 01:03:35 AM »
Well, we are only half way through it and we will finish it tonight.  I will reread your review of it then.  So far it is pretty good, the main character cute, the music quite good, and the story interesting if not compelling. 
Nothing is more delicious than the memory of that delectable space between her hem and stocking top.

Offline Mesachie

• hyas wawa/cultus wawa

« Reply #207 on: December 02, 2010, 09:21:25 AM »
Well, AC, we just finished Midnight Sun. It is not a big movie and it a bit of a tearjerker.  But the performances were pleasantly understated and the primary supporting characters nicely balanced. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Yui made a superb perishing swan, singing her heart out as she goes.  You gave it a 9 and I would not disagree with that, though I can see it getting an 8.  But it was not overly melodramatic, the main character demonstrated a quiet and steadfast determination, her boyfriend a resiliency to the shocks of his girlfriend's fate and the father, an effective study of anger and resignation. My wife was unhappy we watched it afterward. Not because it was bad, but because it was effective.  She doesn't like having her heart hurt, even by a movie. Yet she loved to talk about it and that means it was both good and thought provoking, always worthy attributes for most entertainment.

I am currently getting a copy of Tess of the d'Urbervilles (Polanski) which is a worthy study of another rather doomed female. But what I am really looking forward to is Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring.  There is avarice and hubris rebounding upon itself in spades. 

Mesachie 

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #208 on: December 08, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
Random thread bump. If anyone feels like watching more Korean movies, I made some recommendation in this post.

http://guriguriblog.wordpress.com/2010/12/08/introduction-to-korean-cinema/

Offline Mesachie

• hyas wawa/cultus wawa

« Reply #209 on: December 18, 2010, 11:54:57 AM »
Thanks for the link to your Korean flicks review.

Okay, I enjoyed Old Boy immensely though I didn't care for the ending so much, perhaps misunderstanding it. But it hit me as the serious cop out, though understandably human.  Still, I want to see the others you mention, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.  I look forward to reading your blog and downloading more of the Korean stuff as I find it.

Unintentionally getting barreled over by Baruchel; I was clueless about his participation in two of the following films. 

I watched The Sorcerer's Apprentice which was, if not great, good or, at the least, better than expected ... considering the 30 percent rating the main reviewers at Rotten Tomato gave it.

Animation: Despicable Me! Oh, not so good. Conventionally entertaining, but it was pretty much what The Sorcerer's Apprentice got beat up for by the critics.  And while fresher, I am getting a similar feel out of How to Train Your Dragon, which I am only half way through as I post this.  Nice to see cartoon Vikings.  I do have high hopes it will improve based on the spoilers I ran into over at TV Tropes. 

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 39   Go Up