Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 16, 2017, 03:06:00 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 140231 times)

Offline genki sakura

• Vwoop! Vwoop!
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #180 on: June 07, 2010, 07:47:51 PM »
The Living Daylights 8/10
It's a Bond film. That I watched on G4 in the wee hours of the morning. Therefore, I was quite giggly while watching it, but I did like it. I disliked the song used during the main title credits. One, it's an earworm, and two, it started out good and just got really boring after a while. The repetition of the female dancing also became boring. It was essentially a loop of a pretty woman doing a sultry dance to a monotonous theme song. However, title credits aside, it was worth staying up for even though I had to get up fairly early that morning. That was probably because the plot got so wound up in itself that I wanted to see what happened.

And I liked Timothy Dalton's Bond. I found him quite dashing. Then again, it was at around 1-2 in the morning.

Breathless I can't rate it at the moment. 7+/10 definitely though.

It's Godard's first film and one of the films that ushered in the cinematic era known as "French New Wave."

I don't love it, but it was definitely worth seeing if only for its influence on cinematic history. And now that I'm thinking about it, I do like it. It was, for want of a better word, interesting. Although "interesting" does not really do it justice. For all of the verbiage (be it philosophical, erotic, anything in between) and smoking (one could catch second-hand smoke just from watching it), there is some semblance of a plot. The unforgettable ending is directly connected to Michel's actions in the beginning. It's a fabulous cat and mouse game that is somehow blended together with a twisted romance that is accented with more smoking. And Jean-Paul Belmondo was absolutely brilliant in it. Michel is a man who starts out as a sleezeball, but by the end, is still a sleezeball but yet a sympathetic character (at least I felt sympathetic towards him).

When in doubt, speak Italian and sing "Seven Nation Army"

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #181 on: June 09, 2010, 08:56:07 PM »
Soy Cuba (1964)
by Mikhail Kalatozov

"I used to think the most terrifying thing was death. Now I know the most terrifying thing is life."

This film is an incredible feat of filmmaking. Almost unimaginable skill was involved in its creation. The art, set decoration, and cinematography is stunning, to say the least. Almost every shot is effective, and every cut leads to another gorgeous shot, most made complex with neck-breaking tracking and jibbing. It is in those dutch angled close-ups, brave low-angles and ravenous whip pans that we see the absurdity of the Batista regime, the absurdity of poverty, and the absurdity of life.

This alone gives it high merit.

And as a story, it is moving. But as a progression of a story, it is questionable. I would call it a trap. The film lures you with strong sentimentality and stark scenes of injustice, only to have you deafened in the last third by propagandist fanfare. We are betrayed and not allowed our own conclusions, instead we are cleverly asked to follow a narrow high beam with a blindfold - and if we weren't so blinded, or were at least a bit wise, we would have known how terrifying it is on that high beam. They sang and they marched, they were glorious as they walked through explosions unscathed... The End.

But the truth in retrospect is clear, and it is now difficult praising Soy Cuba for its politics. Batista was a pig, and his replacement, Fidel Castro, was little better. Communism failed worldwide and to say it could ever succeed, considering our state of evolution as human beings, is repugnant ignorance. But for Soy Cuba's humanism, what little of it that was left by the last frame of the last reel, we can embrace and cherish. Not all is lost because we have in this film an honest, yet incredible and stunning, effort in filmmaking involving people, about people.

8/10
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:30:32 AM by Tamashii »

Offline DrIdiot

• DrIdiot's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #182 on: June 17, 2010, 07:27:48 AM »
Alright, I didn't watch these recently, but they're movies I was recently reminded of, are some of my favorite and aren't very well known in Western circles.

Yi Yi: A One And A Two
director: Edward Yang
(2000s)
If you're impatient, you probably shouldn't try to watch this.  It's three hours long, but honestly, it didn't feel like it to me.  For a film with no action and that had absolutely no problem taking its time, it felt surprisingly brisk.  Yi Yi is about the lives of a fairly typical urban Taiwanese family of two parents and two children.  They each encounter different personal crises in their lives.

Another Edward Yang film I really liked is A Brighter Summer Day (1990s).  Unfortunately, a good verison is absurdly difficult to find.  The best I could find is a cam (albeit a pretty good cam - I think it's a cam becaues the subtitles get cut off sometimes), which both Chinese and English subtitles.  A Brighter Summer Day takes place in 1960s Taipei.  A lot of people know China wasn't exactly the greatest place to be during this time (understatment), but people don't usually know much about Taiwan.  I think the average American's understanding is that Taiwan was the "democratic" China (i.e. the "good" China), but the nationalist government in Taiwan was not that different.  Censorship was huge, it was a one-party system, indigenous people were oppressed, and there were the secret police.  Anyway, A Brighter Summer Day is about the collective identity crisis of the Chinese/Taiwanese people during this time period (the film says this outright in the first few seconds).

I don't want to say too much about the plot of these films, but they both take their time and warrant your full attention.  There's a lot going on in the background, and the characters and their development are definitely given the spotlight over plot.  I really want to rewatch Yi Yi again right now, because I think these are the types of movies where you gain a little more each time you watch them.  (Unfortunately, my computer's motherboard died so I am relying on my netbook which can't even play baseball highlights for now...)  I wouldn't say they're artsy (they're not like the Coen brothers' indie films), but they're definitely art films (as opposed to vernacular/entertainment films).  If you have appreciation for such films, I think they're both worth a watch.  If you give a damn what others think, Yi Yi won a shit ton of prizes at film festivals (see Wikipedia).

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #183 on: June 28, 2010, 12:26:19 AM »
Brand Upon the Brain (2006)
by Guy Maddin

"The past! The past!"

This superbly strange film that is an homage to the silent era and an homage to memory will sustain your attention with its unbelievably rapid edits and outlandish visual design. The themes and characters are even more outlandish (or more accurately, outrageous). But it is easy to forgive the film's almost mocking defiance to narrative linearity. It won't bother you that it makes no sense for a hamster to be part of the story or that Chance is a boy. The film is magnificent and beautiful in its appeal to your sense of wonderment and your nostalgia for innocence, that inner child that had been squashed by time. And you'll be enraptured throughout, journeying with Guy as he stumbles across the beaches, rubs the weeds against his face, and ponders if things really do happen twice.

9/10  

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2010, 06:26:01 PM »
The Conversation (1974)
by Francis Ford Coppola

"If you were a girl who waited for someone...and you never really knew when he was gonna come to see you. You just lived in a room alone and you knew nothing about him. And if you loved him and were patient with him, and even though he didn't dare ever tell you anything about himself personally, even though he may have loved you, would you..would you, would you go back to him?"

Coppola, acting as an auteur over the production, created one of the finest films in history. The Conversation. Excellent in every facet imaginable, this film struck me on too many levels. I was surprised. I was overtaken. I was guessing. I was enthralled. This is a great film, artful, entertaining, meaningful, and it now joins my list of favorites.

Watch Gene Hackman. How he muddles about. How he looks suspiciously with his eyes, paranoid, yet can't hear with his heart. He crumples a folder and tosses it away, it rolls on the greenery. He stops, walks on the grass, crouches over. He picks it up.

And the sound is incredible. Walter Murch makes brave decisions, pulling the audio out, amping up certain sound effects, twisting and tweaking, reminding us well that film is 50% sound.

10/10

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #185 on: July 17, 2010, 03:16:09 AM »
Inception (2010)
by Christopher Nolan

"Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange."

This is a great "concept" film. We are presented with an idea. Then the writer/director surprises us and runs up walls with it.

But Nolan does hit a few obstacles, or at least grazes them. However, the concept of the film is so powerful, the film so well made, and the hype so intense that most viewers have called it one of the greatest films in recent memory.

Here's the deal. The characters are flat. Only the main protagonist and his wife have depth, in fact it is their chemistry that balances this film out of chaos. That may be enough for most people. But I felt too many of the characters were accessories, too many of them walk-and-talk exposition drones. Poor Ellen Page. If she wasn't Ellen Page and cuter than a button, I'd laugh. As with most concept films, there was a lot of explaining to do. It's something I can bare, being a huge science fiction fan. But even up to the film's climax we are encountering dialogued-explanations. The exposition tried to work as story points, but that doesn't fly if two characters are blah blahing.

The snow fortress sequence was pretty ridiculous. What are those soldiers doing? And why are they even there? Why is this even a snow fortress? The sedative story point is another hard-to-swallow pill. Especially paired with how it works for limbo and dying. It makes very little sense.

But the ending is brilliant. It appears to be a cop out, but it's the only way to end the film. And to enhance this, Nolan dropped a lot of contradicting subtleties that will have the boards on IMDb arguing for months. The whole point is that this is a concept film at its best.

8/10

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #186 on: July 17, 2010, 11:29:02 PM »
Inception 8/10

I wish all action/thrillers can have the direction and finesse that this movie portrays.  Some people say that Christopher Nolan was channeling Michael Bay with this movie, but Nolan puts so much meaning and actual drama into the spectacles that he creates something that is visually incredible that doesn't exist merely for the sake of looking cool.

The movie was nowhere near as cerebral as Memento, but it tapped into the same question of the powers and limitations of the human mind and wove a compelling narrative out of it.  I do agree that the side characters were lacking depth, but the finale opens an interesting proposition that can account for this... as well as several other events.  Overall, this is a great movie that's bold and original but at the same time fun. 

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline DrIdiot

« Reply #187 on: July 23, 2010, 12:13:38 AM »
Shutter Island

It was okay.  Felt sorta cheated at the end.  Sorcese has done better.  When the guard said "thorns as big as my dick" I lol'd.  Maybe I just don't know shit about thorns, but aren't they... kinda small?  I mean, what I would consider to be a big thorn still seems... kinda small.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2010, 12:00:52 AM »
While we're talking about movies with Leonardo DiCaprio

Title: Blood Diamond

Does a remarkable job of highlighting the atrocities of the Sierra Leone civil war.  The portrayal of the conflict and really tough issues like child soldiers and refugees isn't, for a moment, demeaning or insulting, and the film makes some marked points about a process driven by resources and third-world conflicts that allows multinationals that sit on the outside to profit from it all.  DiCaprio is excellent playing a Zimbabwean mercenary and diamond smuggler, and the development of his character is momentous and profound.  The script relies on coincidence a little too often.

The Rating: 9

Offline DrIdiot

« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2010, 10:44:32 PM »
A World Without Theieves (天下無賊)
A good mix of drama and action.  I actually thought the drama was pretty good in this one.

Still Walking
A Japanese movie.  Has a slice-of-life feel.  It's about the relationships between extended family members.

Both very good movies, I thought.  Recommended.

Offline DrIdiot

« Reply #190 on: August 04, 2010, 12:12:34 AM »
Since it's sort of a crummy season, and I'm sort of done with work, I've been watching more movies.  Anyway, the last two I posted are probably 4/5s.

As Tears Go By (旺角卡門) (3/5)
I thought this was okay.  It's definitely not as good as Chungking Express.  I thought the loyalty idea was sort of overdone.

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2010, 01:24:26 AM »
Feng Wan 2 (aka the Storm Riders 2/The Storm Warriors)

This movie sucks and it is just plain stupid.  Seriously, this movie is so bad that even the decision to just sit there and make out with my date the rest of the way wouldn't work.  Hell, the movie isn't even good enough to at least entice the decision or induce the mood at all in a casual way (at least).  The only reason why I watched this film on Youtube (a year after it's release no less) is because I was bored as hell while searching for Japanese pro wrestling PPVs.  Even the fights sucked ass with all the style of the film. special effects, and the annoying slowdown parts/angles.

Not to mention that Aaron Kwok and Ekin Cheng are both old and it shows.  Plus, they have not been relevant in like forever.  There is no reason to care about the cast, the characters,story/plot (or lack thereof), or anything else really.  This movie is one of the reasons why the Hong Kong film industry has been miserably backwards, alienating, and embarrassing for the past few years.  All of my faith in that regard goes to Mainland China and it is probably not going to change.

Rating: 2/10  (Thankfully, no one else but me was harmed in watching this film.  But, I probably should have had someone else with me to bear some of the pain despite being a scumbag move).

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #192 on: August 06, 2010, 09:30:56 AM »
Feng Wan 2 (aka the Storm Riders 2/The Storm Warriors)

This movie sucks and it is just plain stupid.

Awwww. No u did-int.

Offline DrIdiot

« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2010, 07:13:04 PM »
I didn't watch this recently, but I er... was reminded of it recently?  Anyway, it's one of my favorite films, and if you haven't seen Cinema Paradiso I recommend it, 5/5.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2010, 11:33:29 PM »
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Napolean Dynamite with special effects.

2 / 10.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 39   Go Up