Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 13, 2017, 12:23:50 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 143091 times)

Offline Buttercup

• Ex-Reviewer

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2010, 08:04:57 AM »
Avatar would probably be a 6/10 only because of it's visual effects.  It's basically buying itself into the Oscars.  It's Pocahontas with blue people.

Wow, I couldn't agree more >_> I didn't like Avatar that much either.  It was "ok" but it wasn't mindblowing... and watching it in 3D for 3 hours got me a little sick =S I ended up going home to watch Pocahontas =)

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2010, 10:08:25 AM »
I would put Moon a bit lower than a 9/10 too.  Like maybe a 7/10.  It had an interesting concept, but that was pretty much it.

The only part about Moon that doesn't really work for me is the ending, which feels tacked on from a completely different movie.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2010, 03:49:10 AM »
El Topo (The Mole)
Holy shit. Let me reflect.

...Damn.

6/10

Offline Buttercup

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2010, 06:06:43 PM »
I watched Shutter Island this weekend ^^

It was... meh.  Perhaps it's because I've seen a lot of movies, but I thought the movie was predictable and quite average on the whole. The score really set the mood though and there were a lot of scenes that popped up and scared the audience.  There was also a lot more gore and blood than I expected =X I couldn't watch those scenes and it makes me cringe just thinking about it >_< The ending was probably the best part... even though I saw it coming, it was interesting to see how it carried out and what happened to DiCaprio at the very end when everything was solved.  I was also very sympathetic towards 90% of the characters because each of them were given very interesting backgrounds that made it more fun to watch.  Besides that, nothing else really stood out and it was just ok.  I'd rate it 6/10 =P

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2010, 09:04:54 AM »
Almost Famous: How in the hell did I go so long without seeing this? About as perfect of a coming of age movie as will ever be made, funny as hell, completely charming. Any guy would give his left nut to have the kind of experiences William is able to luck into. It also shows the value of a damn good script ... because Kate Hudson of all people is fantastic. Penny Lane is the perfect part for her, and she got it at the right time. (9/10)

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2010, 11:48:12 PM »
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels 8/10

From the creator of Snatch comes this little gem about a heist of heist of a heist.  Though I think the directing was not quite as snappy as that in Snatch, the movie was still a lot of fun to watch.     

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2010, 10:16:36 AM »
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: One of the first horror movies (complete with one of the first, "Wait ... what?!" endings in movie history), Dr. Caligari is pretty damn interesting. The set design is crazy (everything -- and I mean everything is built at an angle and at exaggerated proportions to give the sense of a world gone batshit mad), the plot is out there (though fairly simple overall) and it effectively builds a creepy mood. Plus, it's a lot of fun to fill in your own dialogue when the title cards aren't there to make it clear what characters are saying. (8/10)

Kara no Kyoukai 1: Looks great, feels like the first episode of a TV anime stretched to 50 minutes. I probably would not have been half as into this as I was if it didn't look so good. (7/10)

Kara no Kyoukai 2: A step up, even if it leads a bajillion things hanging at the end (but I guess it is better to think of this like a TV series with really long episodes rather than a series of movies). I like the creepy mood the movie builds and how the brutality of the violence contrasts with the otherwise placid lives Shiki and Mikiya lead. Not an unusual type of story, but it works here. (7/10)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2010, 10:22:35 AM »
The best is yet to come for KnK, seriously.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2010, 11:03:13 AM »
Moon: 8/10
It's nice to see a sci-fi movie not rely on effects.

The Hurt Locker: 9/10
Fascinating film. Whoever played the crazy bomb-squad dude was the man.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2010, 10:50:15 PM »

From the creator of Snatch comes this little gem about a heist of heist of a heist.  Though I think the directing was not quite as snappy as that in Snatch, the movie was still a lot of fun to watch.     
Must depend on which film you see first, because I thought Lock, Stock >>> Snatch.  Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who thinks this.

Title: Up in the Air

This is just a gem.  The more I think about it, the more interesting it gets.  Brilliant performances all round, a quirky sense of humour and a fascinating look at a character which is both personal and existential.  And there's this constant commentary of how "incorporated" our lives have become.  Definitely the best film I've seen from last year, and it wouldn't surprise me if i didn't see better (although I'm still yet to watch The Hurt Locker).

The Rating: 9

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2010, 08:24:58 AM »

Must depend on which film you see first, because I thought Lock, Stock >>> Snatch.  Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who thinks this.
ur not the only one. and iirc roger ebert thinks so too. god i love that guy.

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2010, 08:58:35 AM »

Title: Up in the Air

This is just a gem.  The more I think about it, the more interesting it gets.  Brilliant performances all round, a quirky sense of humour and a fascinating look at a character which is both personal and existential.  And there's this constant commentary of how "incorporated" our lives have become.  Definitely the best film I've seen from last year, and it wouldn't surprise me if i didn't see better (although I'm still yet to watch The Hurt Locker).

The Rating: 9

What did you think about the ending? I personally loved it, and thought that it was graceful and elegant, with a tinge of sadness. I think this is Reitman's best film to date.
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2010, 05:05:18 PM »
I think there was a line earlier in the film that hinted towards something like that earlier on.  I'm still not sure what to think of the ending itself (I'll think I'll need to see it again to fully process it, since it did strike me as a touch "open", except not really, if you can see what I'm saying, since I guess it symbolized the "death" of his lifestyle), but I really liked the events leading up to the ending and the gestures of kindness he showed towards his sister and her new husband, and the letter of recommendation for Natalie.

And yeah, it's certainly the best Reitman film I've seen (although, the only other one I've seen is Juno which was good, but not as great as some critics make it out to be).

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2010, 06:59:15 AM »
I wouldn't agree that it's the "death" of his lifestyle. I think it's a "rebirth", in many senses--- he realizes that he can't live the life he wants, so he'll just have to settle for what he's always been doing. It's a tinge ironic, because at the end of the movie, in a sense he gets what he wants, but by then, it doesn't mean anything to him anymore. I did like the gradual change in character; I thought it was very subtle and very believable.

I loved Natalie, too. She was such a great character. Anna Kendrick is so cute.
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »
Waltz with Bashir
This film is tremendous. I finally saw it after almost two years, having had seen a trailer a long while ago. This is an achievement in animation and documentary, taking a strangely beautiful and convincing narrative approach. It's clear how impossible the film would be in any other format or genre; disarming, arresting, intense--this is a work to be embraced, and I only regret not seeing it in theaters. The use of music is incredible, and I only disagree with using Bach's Concerto No. 5 in F minor one too many times in the wrong scene--an amazing concerto. Otherwise, Johnny Rotten's  "This is Not a Love Song" and of course Chopin's Waltz in C Sharp minor No. 2 were brilliant. It is one of the best films in years, satisfying my checklist of greatness. I only wished it was a tad longer, fleshing out more of the political and social intricacies, instead of being a film mainly about memory.
9/10

The Hurt Locker
Also another recent incredible work on war, Bigelow and Boal's film have the best characters I have seen all year: real, relatable, uncertain. I'm surprised with its cinematography accolades--there were some truly stellar shots, almost every slow-motion shot in fact, but most of the handheld work was overdone. The camerawork was successful: it took you into the scene and kept you there, but at times it unintentionally shook you out. The use of music was timely, which helped establish the harsh, dry, difficult tone, just like the "deserts" of Iraq. An excellent story paired with excellent acting makes for the most convincing piece on war in a long time and for a long time forward.
9/10
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 39   Go Up