Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 08:09:16 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 143153 times)

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2010, 08:45:22 PM »
District 9: 9/10

****! ****! ****! I am left speechless. It's been 48 hours and I'm still left aback at how amazing this movie was. This has also got to be one of the few movies I loved so much, yet hated basically every character, even the protagonist. Nevertheless, it was a brilliant Apartied allegory, and had some of the most kickass computer effects I've ever seen in my life. I really regret not seeing this on the big screen.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2010, 08:47:27 PM »
District 9: 9/10
I've yet to see Up in the Air, but as for now District 9 has been my favorite movie of '09.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:16:38 PM by Shadowmage »

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline DrIdiot

• DrIdiot's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2010, 11:30:50 PM »
If you haven't seen The Hurt Locker I highly recommend it.  I'm not going to rate it on a /10 scale because I won't do so until I can really say what the difference between a 7 and a 8 is.  I mean, there are plenty of reviews on it already.

Last movie I saw was "No Puedo Vivir Sin Ti".  Despite the title, it's a Taiwanese movie (Chinese title: bu neng mei you ni).  I thought it was pretty good.  See description: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1456584/  It moves pretty quickly for the its genre.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2010, 05:25:40 AM »
Yeah, The Hurt Locker is one of the films that I'm really interested in seeing (it's not out here yet) because I find it interesting how US cinema is approaching the Iraq War (and how it kinda parallels how they approached the Vietnam War).  Stop-Loss, In the Valley of Elah, these are all really heavy films, but a lot of critics point out that, when you look at them deeper, you kinda see reflections of a country that still hasn't figured out how to deal with the war or come to terms with what they've done there.  Great films though, both of them, and it would surprise me if The Hurt Locker was any different.

Offline DrIdiot

« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2010, 01:55:50 AM »
I haven't seen any other Iraq War films, so I have no basis for comparison.  But, the way I saw it, Hurt Locker wasn't so much a film about the Iraq War as much as a film about war in general.  The setting is (of course) the Second Iraq War, but it isn't the focus.  I think it takes a fairly politically neutral stance in order to allow its philosophical stance come across.  The entire movie is also really intense.  When you watch it, lemme know what you think.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2010, 06:10:36 AM »
That's a harsh criticism of Kane, Kavik Ryx! I disagree, but I'll leave it at that.

Avatar was a movie that satisfied. I thoroughly enjoyed its special effects and its world. The look and feel definitely shows its 4-5 years of development. The film looked so impressive that, without a doubt, it enchanted many viewers into thinking it was a better film than it actually is. When you tell a mediocre story but you present it in the most lavish method imaginable, it is hard to ignore. A lot of critics are suckers for film as film, and not film as story, (I totally agree, actually) and that's where all that praise is coming from. But let's not forget that the film is overt about its social and political stance, an oddity in Hollywood blockbusters. You just have to give Cameron credit for making one of the best big-budget features in a long time and how this may change the industry. I'm not looking forward to a sequel. Moreover, I'm looking forward to other filmmakers who can make equally spellbinding 3D films.

7/10

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2010, 03:22:05 AM »
Title: 500 Days of Summer

There are times where it's a bit rough around the edges and there are times where it's very witty and very insightful.  It's certainly not typical for a "love" story which, at the beginning it adamantly claims it's not (it is, though, in an ironic sort of way).  Unlike most love stories, this is a movie about a break-up.  The comedy is very black and the non-linear storytelling works quite well and does a good job of highlighting the difference between the beginning of the relationship and the end.  The soundtrack is, overall, really good... lots of kickass rock and pop songs from all different times between the 70s and now which I saw as something of a suggestion that, culturally, we're a post-modern generation.  The final part of the movie is full of irony, but it's here where I thought they got a bit confused about what they wanted to do.  
Spoiler for Hiden:
Considering how messy their relationship was and, similarly that of Summer's parents (which, we're told, was the reason for Summer's attitude towards romance) everyone essentially got a clean ending.  But if the theme of this movie is that relationships are messy, then what's to suggest that the same things won't happen again.  I guess that's the point, though... and from that point of view, it's probably best to consider it an open ending, rather than one with any real sense of finality.

The Rating: 7

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2010, 05:21:03 AM »
Title: Up

I haven't actually seen too many Pixar movies, but this is a really fine example of a kid's movie.  It's filled with adventure and moments of humour, but I liked it best in the quiet moments, when we were allowed into the characters' space.  The few dramatic moments might have been rare, but they weren't underdone, and they dealt (subtlety) with some surprisingly heavy issues.  I loved the first part of the film.  The second half of the film got a bit kidsy, but well executed kidsy, and there was an interesting theme about "letting go".

The Rating: 8

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2010, 06:28:54 PM »
As someone who has kept track of every movie he's watched for the past few years now (I have no life), this is my kind of thread!

Some quick ratings for what I've watched so far this year:

-- The Taking of Pelham 123 (6/10)
-- The Station Agent (8/10)
-- The Final Destination (3/10)
-- Silent Movie (8/10)
-- The African Queen (8/10)
-- Departures/Okuribito (9/10) (best movie I have seen so far this year)
-- Moon (9/10)
-- Bound (8/10)
-- Solaris (2002) (7/10)
-- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (7/10) (watched with Rifftrax)
-- Wristcutters: A Love Story (7/10)
-- In the Loop (8/10)
-- Public Enemies (8/10)
-- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (6/10) (also watched with Rifftrax)
-- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Gurren-hen (9/10)
-- District 9 (8/10)

And my most recently watched movies ...

The Magnificent Seven: Classic western. Not nearly as good as its inspiration, Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, but it keeps enough of that movie's good aspects and gives them enough of an American western spin to make things somewhat fresh. Plus, all the usual western archetypes are used to good effect here. And I have to give props to any movie from a pretty damn racist time that actually gives respect to Native Americans and Mexicans. (8/10)

Night Moves: Gene Hackman plays a private investigator who is in way over his head while on a missing persons case; he desperately tries to be smarter and more cunning than he actually is, but he's mostly aping the actions of classic private eyes as he stumbles toward to real reasons of the crime. Classic "wrong man for the wrong job" kind of guy. The ending is crazy as hell and pretty depressing. Great movie. (9/10)

My Name is Bruce: I love Bruce Campbell, and this movie is great fun. (8/10)

Big Fan: Went in a different direction than I expected; surprisingly, it keeps its dark comedy roots the whole way through. The obsessive sports fan Patton Oswalt plays isn't really a huge exaggeration -- hell, there are probably people worse than the guy represented here. But the movie isn't really mocking Oswalt's character so much as it is being thoughtful about the kind of guy who would need to bury himself in his hobby like this -- you could switch sports for anime, and the story would be about the same (except way less mainstream, obviously :p). (8/10)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2010, 09:42:56 PM »
You rated Okuribito "9". As one who wrote a review for that movie, may I know if there's any particular reason for the grade? I'm curious; the movie's almost perfect to me.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2010, 09:53:29 PM »
You rated Okuribito "9". As one who wrote a review for that movie, may I know if there's any particular reason for the grade? I'm curious; the movie's almost perfect to me.
I didn't think the movie was "10"-worthy either.  Certainly "9".  Some of the directing was a tad clunky.  A minor complaint, but enough to make me think it wasn't "As good as it gets".

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2010, 11:13:25 PM »

It's on the cusp of a 10 for me, too; can't really point out anything in particular except to say it's a gut feeling that keeps me from giving it a 10. It doesn't really have any huge flaws, and it's very moving. The different levels of departures throughout the movie (the departed dead, Daigo's departed father (among other people), Daigo's departed dreams and so on), and how people deal with those departures, is really clever storytelling, too. But I just couldn't give it a 10 for whatever reason.

Maybe it'll be similar to Honey and Clover, though -- I gave that a 9/10 on MAL, but I'm pretty sure that when I rewatch the series someday, after I finish that will go up to a 10.

Offline DrIdiot

« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2010, 11:47:58 PM »
First, I want to say I don't like rating movies on a /10 scale.  But, I'll conform.  Give all my scores an uncertainty of plus/minus 1, since I am imprecise.

Departures is a bit melodramatic.  That having been said, I do like the movie... maybe a 8/10.

I would put Moon a bit lower than a 9/10 too.  Like maybe a 7/10.  It had an interesting concept, but that was pretty much it.

I haven't seen that many movies this year, but here's a list.
Avatar would probably be a 6/10 only because of it's visual effects.  It's basically buying itself into the Oscars.  It's Pocahontas with blue people.
Hurt Locker would probably be 10/10
Up In The Air 9/10
Shinjuku Incident probably 7 or 8.  Jackie Chan, but he doesn't know kung fu.  Also, can you find the not-so-subtle Chinese propaganda?  (corrupt politicians are a byproduct of capitalism?)
Cape No. 7 - mediocre; Taiwanese romantic comedy (chick flick)
A Serious Man - I'm still not sure about this one, but it's definitely worth a watch.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2010, 12:24:58 AM »
There's no thread rule here stating that you should use the /10 scale to rate your movies. This is just the scale reviewers here use to gauge our anime. This thread gives you the liberty to rate it using your own scale, actually.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2010, 02:32:14 AM »
@shadowmage

watch the prequel, i reckon it's better
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 39   Go Up