Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 20, 2017, 07:57:35 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 140560 times)

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2009, 12:39:58 AM »
Inglourious Basterds  8/10

First and foremost, despite what advertisements may show this is not a typical war movie. Yes, the fact that Quentin Tarantino directs this puts a massive "no duh" on my first claim, but the movie deviates even further from the whole Nazi  killing buisness than even I imagined.  Broken up into 5 acts each with its own introduction, rising action and blood filled climax, the movie will bore the living hell out of anyone who do not dig the black humor since the movie is about 90% buildup, 10% kiss kiss bang bang.  

District 9  8/10

This is probably one of the greatest science fiction movies I have ever seen.  Though not extraordinarily moving or all too insightful, the movie comes across as exceptionally convincing thanks in part to the novel documentary format.  The action packed finale was a bit indulgent but very few movies managed to absorb me into its world quite like this one.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 07:51:43 AM by Shadowmage »

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2009, 12:09:48 AM »
Gojira tai Biollante (Gojira vs Biollante)
5.9/10

For a film that is supposedly hailed as the best Gojira film since the original (1954), this was kind of a letdown.  In terms of a worthy adversary, I have to say Biollante was one of the coolest looking monsters, yet the battles with it sucked since the damn thing never lived up to it's menacing stature.  This is mostly due to the fight choreagraphy since it was just so boring (and lopsidedly one dimensional) to watch. 

Sure, we don't see overly silly stuff like the movie against Hedorah where Gojira was flying due to its Atomic Breath or something way over the top like the Electromagnetic Power from the first Mechagojira movie.  But, I really wanted Biollante to be more ferocious and more of a close range fighter since it looked awesome enough to produce that kind of carnage.  Or at least show some sort of hidden cool power with those Venus Fly Trap-like tendrils or something.

Plot and story-wise, these sorts of films are never really known for doing well in that department.  So, I usually tend to forgive that since I am not expecting much in the first place and just like to have fun with this.  Unfortunately, that stuff in particular was not very interesting and I could have cared that much less for it as an eyesore compared to other films.

Overall, this entry is actually not as bad as others since there are worse films in the franchise.  Then again, I am hardpressed to call this the best since the original since I just don't see enough for it to be that special.

Gojira Final Wars
4.9/10

This film would have been awesome if it cut out the parts about Humans/Mutants/Aliens and all the other crap since they were actually what made the movie suck.  Honestly, all the fights involving the actors and actresses were horribly amateur and painful to watch as they lacked any form of proficiency in martial arts.  Not to mention the Matrix-like special effects certainly did not help along with the nauseating camera work which made me believe (even more) the choreagraphy was that obviously fake.

While Gojira films tend to have some silliness in them as good-natured fun, the kind of stuff seen in this movie is just disgustingly stupid.  Not to mention, the terrible acting jobs and misplaced roles didn't help either.  Well, at least the female lead was cute and I would do her, so that was good enough in that department since the character was not much better then eye-candy anyway.

One disdain I have always had for the Millenium Series of the franchise was how a majority of the films abandoned the traditional scores of Akira Ifukube.  This movie certainly put a bad taste in my mouth due to the horribly generic, fast-paced crap which sounded like some horrible Euro-techno and sounded the same.  Not to mention, its pretty jarring to randomly insert an English song by a band called Sum41 which was not even good.

For the bread and butter of any Gojira film, at least the battles between the monsters had some epic moments even if they lasted for only a few minutes at best.  Seeing the American bastardization of Gojira getting wasted within a minute was hilarious and awesome.  The King Shisa, Angilas, and Radon fight was an example of silly, yet good-natured fun as well.  I would have loved to see more of Gojira and Monster X battling it out until the climatic transformation of Keizer Ghidorah as well.

Props to Gigan's revamped form since it was looked cool as hell while actually cementing itself as a pretty badass monster, if not for the silly mishap against Mothra.  End-wise, the fact that the classic Gojira theme would not be played pissed me off since that would have been excellent and befitting.  Overall, this movie is a low note for franchise and it is pretty sucky compared to other films.  Hopefully, the new movie supposedly coming out in 2013 or later will be better.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2009, 01:52:23 PM »
Gojira Final Wars
4.9/10
While Gojira films tend to have some silliness in them as good-natured fun, the kind of stuff seen in this movie is just disgustingly stupid.  Not to mention, the terrible acting jobs and misplaced roles didn't help either.  Well, at least the female lead was cute and I would do her, so that was good enough in that department since the character was not much better then eye-candy anyway.

Haha.  That's all I needed to hear.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2009, 03:44:42 AM »
Title: Inglourious Basterds

It's hard to think of anything else to say other than "oh, Tarintino".  I had a few little quibbles about the movie's plot (eg, the fact that they'd put the most important people in the Nazi leadership in one place in occupied France during the war and have such an inappropriately low level of security), but it's just so stylish and theatrical... it's just a blast to watch (quite literally at the end).  It's so well made, so well executed, littered with moments of suspense and violence.  It's not Tarintino's best, but it's easily as good as the first Kill Bill movie.

The Rating: 8

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2009, 06:02:15 AM »
Title: Wall Street

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good".  Capitalism is such a funny system.  There's virtually no legitimate alternative economic system in the world now, yet it relies so heavily on "speculation".  As an analysis of this strange quirk we have in this system, where people can get rich without actually "creating" anything, this film is impressive.  The directing is really good (as expected from Oliver Stone) and Michael Douglas is fantastic as the poisonous Gordon Gekko.  I wasn't big on the "romance" between Charlie Sheen's character and Darryl Hannah's character, which wasn't even properly tied up anyway, but it does tie into one of the big themes in the movie: the dangers of excesses.  Nonetheless, you could probably take it out and not lose much.  The rest of the film is really good.

The Rating: 8

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2009, 04:42:29 AM »
I need to watch a crap film to remind myself what they're actually like rather than going out of my way to pick films that I'm pretty sure I'll like.

Title: Rachel Getting Married

A raw and very grounded film.  Hathaway's performance is just superb, but the thing that really struck me was how natural and realistic everything felt.  It wasn't just how it was written, but how it was directed as well, with a shaky camera, and even a legitimate excuse for musicians to always be in proximity to provide a soundtrack... it really felt like someone just submitted an edited video of the weekend leading up to a wedding which just happens to follow the bride's troubled sister more closely than anyone else.  There was only one scene that I thought felt contrived, and that was the violent confrontation between Hathaway's character and her mother, but everything else was believable and a couple of the well-timed dramatic punches hit really hard.

The Rating: 9

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2009, 07:56:05 PM »
Zombieland:

The first half of the movie was awesome. The second half got bogged down in a Transformers-esque teenage romance bawww-fest.

7/10

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2009, 05:50:22 AM »
Title: The Conversation

A 1974 film directed by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Gene Hackman.  Simply put, amazing.  The last forty minutes or so (starting from the scene in the hotel) are just brilliant, quiet yet filled with tension, ironic yet completely humourless.  The performances are fantastic and the directing is almost perfect, every shot chosen with purpose and confidence and oozing with meaning and subtle emotion.  The build-up makes this a very good film, but the pay-off (which is often quite surreal) makes it a masterpiece.

The Rating: 10

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2010, 01:09:57 AM »
Title: Avatar

The special effects are absolutely amazing.  The script, on the other hand, is not.  When it's not utterly predictable, it resorts to deus ex machinas and the dialogue is clunky throughout the entire movie.  On the plus side, at least there aren't any annoying characters.  Expect a Hollywood holiday movie with great (but not outstanding) action sequences.  But don't expect too much more.

The Rating: 6

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2010, 02:06:07 AM »
Yea story/characters are nothing worth writing about, but I'm willing to give it 7~8 just for awesome graphics.

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2010, 09:06:45 AM »
Title: Up in the Air

Last year's "sleeper hit." While Invictus and Avatar have gotten a lot of press time, Up in the Air has not. However, its relevance and excellence is unparalleled by any movie released in 2009. George Clooney plays the ever-so-charming lone wolf, living an itinerant lifestyle free of relationships. His only goal in life is to obtain ten million frequent flier miles on AA. However, his plans are grounded (literally) when his company decides to pull him off the road and onto the ground, and he begins to realize the value of connecting with others. The two actresses alongside Clooney, Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick, deliver powerful performances that are just as memorable as Clooney's. This is refreshing, as actresses are traditionally cast as props for Clooney, instead of equals. The script is superb, and kept me laughing the whole time. A deep examination of the philosophy of isolation and loneliness, Up in the Air is my pick for Best Picture at this year's Oscars.

The Rating: 9
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2010, 10:31:36 PM »
Citizen Kane: 7/10

A masterfully overrated movie, though for good reason. The cinematography was sublime and truly emphasized Kane's emptiness. However, this classic would truly be a masterpiece in my book were about 50% of the dialog removed.

Batman (1989): 8/10

What is there to say? It's Batman. A great film on its own merits, but I can't help but compare it to The Dark Knight, particularly with regards to the Joker. Nicholson captured the insanity of the character amazingly well, but probably played it too much on the silly side. While he was genuinely a psychopath, Ledger's portrayal had me wetting my pants in fear. On the plus side, at least Batman was audible in this movie.

Teeth: 4/10

I don't know what to make of this indie film. If it weren't Midnight New Years Day, I cannot imagine having any inclination to see it. Sure it was gruesome and took a very fun direction. But the gore scenes just came off as needlessly grotesque and cringe worthy, especially when most thing in the movie were left up to the audience's imagination. And more importantly, it was just kind of stupid. I don't even know what genre to take it as it was so inconsistent. Many of the bigger scenes were far more hilarious than frightening. Also, watching the film physically  hurts.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2010, 09:52:11 PM »
Snatch 8/10

This is probably one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen.  Hell, after I finished it, I went back and watched it again.

This movie is what inspired the style of Baccano! and Durarara.  There really is no character development, deep philosophical message or anything truly meaningful to get out of the experience except one hell of a ride filled with sharp wit, humor and style.  This is the epitome of "cool".  
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:08:47 PM by Shadowmage »

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2010, 12:47:48 AM »
The Book of Eli (7 out of 10)

Really enjoyed this post-apocalyptic Western. Denzel Washington was in top form and the supporting cast was pretty flawless. Aesthetically speaking, The Book of Eli is beautiful in its destroyed landscapes and Fallout-esque atmosphere. Solid plot, but it is clear that it will draw the film some flak for its religious tone (however, I don't feel that's the point and it being taken to literally). The only issue I take with the film is that the pacing changes near the latter 45 minutes, not necessarily for the worse but it just doesn't match the first half in power. Definitely a "Go See"
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline AH

« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2010, 09:03:25 PM »
Title: Flame & Citron

I wasn't expecting too much, sometimes one starts to think every possible WWII story has been done before, but this turned out to be both historically interesting and a pretty good thriller on its own merits. I had some issues with a couple of scenes towards the end but those, as well as some slightly rushed subplots, can be easily forgiven. Overall, I was quite satisfied with the result.

Rating: 7.5/10
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:11:32 PM by AH »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 39   Go Up