Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 13, 2017, 05:29:15 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: What films have you seen recently?  (Read 143135 times)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Re: What films have you seen recently?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 02:09:02 AM »
The City of Lost Children
9/10
>> I enjoyed it thoroughly and found its sense of aesthetics admirable.

Super Size Me
8/10
>> Yum, french fries.

Body of Lies
5/10
>> Disappointingly average film.

New York, New York
9/10
>> Very moving, and I wish it was a little more convincing!

La Vita e Bella (Life is Beautiful)
9/10
>> A very unique film that instills ambiguity: should I be laughing or should I be crying?

L'Enfant (The Child)
7/10
>> Ultimately engaging, the film is initially uninteresting; however, it is cumbersome throughout.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 05:55:05 AM »
Title: We Own The Night

A fairly straightforward cop thriller that has some real intensity but not a great amount of depth in its story, themes or characters.  There's a few dramatic moments here and there and a fantastic car chase sequence which has genuine suspense and isn't just the standard cars-jump-over-crap-and-random-stunts Hollywood care chase scene.  But it's only rarely truly absorbing and never really emotionally evocative or thought-provoking.  Not the worst cop film you'll ever see, the scattered good scenes make it enjoyable enough, but no where near the best either.

The Rating: 6/10
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 06:01:11 AM by Sorrow-kun »

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 10:40:06 PM »
Title: In the Valley of Elah

It didn't go where I thought it was going to go and its final conclusion is one that's worth reflecting on.  Occasionally superfluous, but very well directed, very well acted and mostly well written.

The Rating: 8/10
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 10:53:28 PM by Sorrow-kun »

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 08:57:17 PM »
Synecdoche, New York

9/10

I have to watch this at least one more time to fully understand it.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 11:33:50 PM »
W: Boring, 2 hour shit. I was misled by the advertisements into thinking it was a satire. It wasn't. I want my 2 hours and 9.50 back.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 11:53:07 PM »
Damn, I was looking forward to that as well.  I mean, it's Oliver Stone after all.

I read a mixed review on Salon (which I took with a grain of salt because Salon never gives positive reviews) which sort of indicated it was humanizing, but probably wouldn't make lefties (like the reviewer) all too comfortable.  I like the idea, though, that George W. Bush is responsible for the "blunders" (as Palin calls them) that happened during his presidency, and it wasn't just a case of him being a puppet for his advisers.  I'll still see the film, I'll just go in with lower expectations (which is sometimes the best way to see a film).

Offline genki sakura

• Vwoop! Vwoop!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 06:27:58 AM »
A Taxing Woman 8.5/10

Made by the same guy who directed Tampopo (watch it...it's about food...it's awesome...I watched a few years ago back when I was in 8th grade and my cousin happened to have it...).

Takes place in 80s Japan when tax evasion was a big thing because insane taxes were commonplace. It's about a female tax collector who figures out that there's a tax evading thug. The opening of the movie might be a little "WTF?!" but stick with it for it's a damn good film. The ending is unforgettable.

The acting's good too. The lead actress really manipulates your emotions--at first you think she's a hard ass stickler, then you think she's clever, then you think she's a bit of a hard ass again, all to end with a favorable opinion of her.

And the music is entertaining :D

There was also Onibaba...I saw that a couple of weeks ago...Japanese New Wave=win.
When in doubt, speak Italian and sing "Seven Nation Army"

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 06:53:15 AM »
20th Century Boys - 7/10

I was expecting something huge from one of the greatest prominent mangaka artist of all time, Naoki Urasawa. The characters are great, with their childhood flashbacks and idiosyncrasies being the most incredible aspect to the show. Plus, Urasawa's stroke of genius in making the villain fearful and the hero from an average Joe is explicitly shown.

I have some problems with the show though: I don't understand how the villain Friend managed to do all he did, which was vital to the plot itself. Speaking of plot, I did spot some plot devices. Lastly, the events during the last day of 2000 seems very far-fetched and even ludicrous to those who are familiar to the manga or Urasawa.

One thing's for sure: I'm eagerly waiting the second instalment due early next year.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 10:34:03 AM »
Tropic Thunder - 8/10

This is perhaps the best comedic satire of 2008, and I have never laughed so much. All the characters are brilliant and the comedy which centres a lot on punchlines never fails to hit the mark. Of all the characters, Robert Downey Jr. have proven (again) why he's an actor of high caliber because of his versatility to play an Australian actor who gets into a Black character just a little too much. He deserves a standing ovation for his Russell Crowe / Danny Glover portrayal.

All the scenes are incredible and though the violence gets a little squeamish, they all come with a purpose of tickling my funny bone (the director's head is hilarious in a very twisted way). The best part of the whole movie - 2 things. One, the first 5 minutes of the movie. Secondly, Booty Sweat.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:14:42 AM by AC »

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 04:41:28 AM »
Speaking with movies with Robert Downey Jr...

Title: Iron Man

It's basically a too-cool-for-school action movie comic adaptation, which isn't usually my film type of choice, but what works in its favour is that it's an extremely well made one.  Not much to the characters and the plot is pretty straightforward, with an inevitable betrayal plot twist and a fairly basic bad-guy.  But the action scenes are intense and electric and really well done.  It's a simple film, but it's two hours fun and excitement.

The Rating: 7/10

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 06:51:57 AM »
Title: Infinite Justice

A flawed film that make some very worthwhile points about the radicalisation of Islamic extremists, particularly those raised and educated in the West.  The themes of the film are interesting and the script starts off strong, turns into molasses in the middle (too much emphasis on the rather ho-hum rat-and-mouse game) but then delivers a very disturbing and shocking ending.  Unfortunately the production values, acting and directing leave a lot to be desired, and the film often lacks mood and polish.

The Rating: 6/10

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 10:00:26 PM »
Title: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

It is what it is: another Indiana Jones movie.  You turn your brain off for a couple of hours and enjoy the ride as Ford makes his way past evil Russians, booby trapped temples and angry natives in remote, exotic locations.  There's even a quicksand sequence for good measure.  I'm still not sure just why they needed to make another movie... Oh yeah, that's right, for the money!

The Rating: 5/10

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 03:34:37 AM »
Andrei Rublev
9/10

High Noon
9/10

Offline genki sakura

• Vwoop! Vwoop!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 06:10:13 AM »
Rhapsody in August

Early 90s Kurosawa film about a grandmother and her children (and grandchildren).

If anything, watch it for Richard Gere speaking Japanese....X.X;;

Personally, I think the acting performances get better as the film moves along. In the beginning, a lot of things feel really forced. By the end, the eldest girl's and the eldest boy's performances seem a lot more natural.

Er...probably a 7/10
When in doubt, speak Italian and sing "Seven Nation Army"

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 04:54:24 AM »
Title: 13 Tzameti

A very French black-and-white minimalist suspense film about a hapless young man who finds himself in a game of Russian Roulette on steroids.  It's very deliberate in its pacing, which means that it demands a long attention span, and it's certainly not Hollywood-ish in any way.  Occasionally predictable but also occasionally very disturbing.  Imagine Kaiji with an even slower pace, no narrator, more deaths and not as much existential social commentary.

The Rating: Hmm... a tough one.  I could flip a coin between a "7" and an "8".  Well, either that, or load a pistol with three bullets and point it at someone's head.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39   Go Up