Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 16, 2017, 06:55:26 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Itazura na Kiss  (Read 3194 times)

Offline genki sakura

• Vwoop! Vwoop!
  • Ex-Reviewer

Itazura na Kiss
« on: June 11, 2008, 10:42:53 AM »
Oh yes.

I'm talking about the Live action drama that came out more than ten years before TIF's thread in the anime section.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Itazura_na_Kiss

Pros: Sato Aiko, the characters, satisfying ending.

Cons: Kotoko's funny, but can get irritating quickly. The growth of the relationship between Naoki and Kotoko. The relationship between Kinnosuke and Kotoko.

Yeah, so after I finished "Proposal Daisakusen", I went to "Itazura na Kiss." I thought it was a more current drama until I looked at the wiki page more closely and saw that this was from 1996. It's a comedic drama about a clumsy girl that seems predictable (and it is, to an extent), but unlike something like "Attention Please" (which I couldn't stand past the first two episodes; yes, I know it was about a girl trying to be a cabin attendant), there's a subtle charm. The characters are interesting and I'll be damned if I don't compliment Sato Aiko's acting.

Sato Aiko plays the heroine, Aihara Kotoko. While Kotoko can be extremely irritating, I really like how Sato really went for it. She was gutsy. Sure, she might have looked like a complete loony toon on the screen, but that was the character she was portraying.

Since I'm talking about characters, I will say that for the most part, I liked how the characters were designed and portrayed. They were also, to an extent, multifaceted. Each character has both an annoying side and a genuine caring side to them. Kotoko is incredibly silly and delusional, but she tries hard and can be serious and blunt with Naoki when she needs to be. Naoki is a cold genius (gee, haven't we seen that a lot) who doesn't know a thing about how to walk a path that he creates for himself. Lastly, Naoki's mother reminds me of the mother from Pride and Prejudice in her silly matchmaking ways. And although she can be completely nonsensical, there are moments when I did feel sympathetic towards this woman.

While the ending is very satisfying, I was not as pleased with how the rest of the story played out. Unlike a series like "Hana Kimi," where it's apparent that there is a growth in the romantic relationship between Sano and Ashiya, the growth of Kotoko and Naoki's relationship seems to have sporatic bursts of growth followed by lots and lots of dead area. A series like this cannot survive on the idea that while Naoki is being courted by another girl he will give furtive glances in Kotoko's direction. That's fine and dandy in the beginning, but towards the end of the series, I want substance. I don't want to hear for the millionth time that Naoki's "just being shy!" Yes, I sound a bit silly for saying so, but I want to see Naoki do something for Kotoko and be a man and say "Yes! I did it for Kotoko."

The writing of the relationship between Kotoko and Kinnosuke was also a bit lackluster. Again, I will compare it to a relationship in "Hana Kimi"-- Ashiya and Nakatsu. It's plain as day that Ashiya and Nakatsu are close friends and that Ashiya might, just might look in Nakatsu's direction. However, when it comes to Kotoko and Kinnosuke, it's plain as day that Kotoko will never look in Kinnosuke's direction. Thus a problem arises. The character of Kinnosuke, while he is even more comedic relief, is a plot device ("the close friend of the female protagonist whose feelings are never received") that is never fully fleshed out.  There is just a redundancy of "Kotoko! I love you!" and "Kin-chan, shut up/stop it/go away." This does not make for character growth. Kinnosuke at the beginning of the series is the same as at the end.

While "Itazura na Kiss" has some flaws, I recommend it for those looking for a quick (9 episodes) shojo fix. It's funny, but can be serious when it needs to. While the characters each have their quirks that make them annoying at times, there's a charm to the cast and the series that make it worthwhile.

Grade: 6 (or a 7*)

*I can't make up my mind >_<

I'll change the pros/cons format later if I feel like it...
When in doubt, speak Italian and sing "Seven Nation Army"

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Itazura na Kiss
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 02:13:44 PM »
Huh.

Live Action might be the way to go here.  The anime is okay, but it's not blowing my mind in the least.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.
Pages: [1]   Go Up