Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 16, 2017, 07:27:51 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: A new name for AMG?  (Read 13783 times)

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

A new name for AMG?
« on: August 17, 2005, 08:43:41 PM »
As AMG is going through a lot of changes right now, we will also be changing the name of the site.  This is a place where you, the visitors of AMG, can suggest a new theme and a new name.  We're not sure if we're going to go with a theme yet, however, we are definately going to change our name and url, so we need your help to give us ideas on what we want to do.  There is no guarentee we will use any of the names suggested, but we might use them to help us form a name that we see fit for our site.

Edit- I actually thought of a theme.  Now here me out on this one...  I was watching Sealab 2021.  It was the episode where Sealab became a sovereign nation.  And that's my idea.  AMG could be a sovereign nation, with Pheld being the President/King/Commisar.  Each reviewer could have his own special title and so on.  Anyways, even though I totally ganked this idea from Sealab, I haven't seen any other anime site, or any website for that matter, with a theme like this.  I haven't exactly thought up a name for the site yet though.

Anyways, this is just an example of what I want to see.  You don't have to go into as much detail as I did, but it would be nice.  Thank everyone for your cooperation.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 12:58:03 AM by DarkKanti »

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 06:38:31 AM »
Well, you know that I'm back, so this won't be too awkward, hopefully. I'll write up my apologies later.

The new change is a great idea. AMGReviews is a terrible name, honest. I think the new name should be Psychedelic Garden. Haha, I kid you.

Your sovereign theme is interesting, but it probably won't work. All I'm hearing is about the titles, and titles are the last thing you'd want to think about. It's the function of the theme that is important. Is the theme incorporated into the reviews and the website's goals? Does it resonate with every page and every section? I don't mind having a theme, but I think we work fine without one. If there is to be a theme for the site, I just hope that it's not childish, pointless, and/or unimaginative. It's gotta be something good to even be worth using.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 07:19:50 AM »
AA's theme works well.  It really does attempt to uphold the values an academy generally has:  the thirst for knowledge, information, education, etc, etc.  Animesecrets is an example of the theme that works really badly.  I mean, they go on missions to review anime/etc?  WTF?  Doesn't work, imo.

Themes can be fun to brainstorm, but we have to remember, if we do go with a theme, it has to be something that will have to continually be interesting.

Anyway, Pheld knows my suggestion and the reasons behind it.  If I ever think of something better, I'll get back to you.

HOW ABOUT THE FROZEN THRONE LOL

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 07:46:44 AM »
Hey man, with the royalty thing, we could be mormons, that way, when I'm king, Tama and Ziri would both be my queens and I could bitch slap them and whatnot.

I don't have any ideas.

Offline AnimeGenesis

• Mind Melting
    • http://www.empireofthephoenix.co.uk

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 01:05:47 PM »
Quote from: DarkKanti
As AMG is going through a lot of changes right now, we will also be changing the name of the site. This is a place where you, the visitors of AMG, can suggest a new theme and a new name. We're not sure if we're going to go with a theme yet, however, we are definately going to change our name and url, so we need your help to give us ideas on what we want to do. There is no guarentee we will use any of the names suggested, but we might use them to help us form a name that we see fit for our site.

I think the changing of the name is a good idea, but for pete's sake warn us in ADVANCE what the new name and url will be to prevent confusion.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 01:07:18 PM by AnimeGenesis »

Thanks to DarkKanti for the Sig!

Offline Phate

• Just one more thing...

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 02:42:13 PM »
Quote from: Sorrow-kun
Animesecrets is an example of the theme that works really badly.  I mean, they go on missions to review anime/etc?  WTF?  Doesn't work, imo.

I never really cared for it myself either, but I've already started shit up by arguing against the manga/game "divisions" and the "Co-Op" page (among other things); I reckon not to speak up against that too. At least, not right now.

I still stand by my opinion on how the site should go, but it seems now that Pheld has decided to not quite do it that way; oh well, I warned j00.

Anyway, I'm too lazy to help you think up new possible names for the site; but as for a theme, I'm not too sure if you should go with one (in the sense of army theme, school theme, Pheld's World of Online Pedophilia theme, etc.). I mean, once you decide on one, you have to stick to it through and through, lest you want to end up confusing your visitors one day when you decide your current theme blows ass and is uncool and... yeah.

For the record, first time I read "AMGReviews" I thought it was some crappy Ah! My Goddess review fansite. >_>

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 09:56:59 PM »
Yes, everyone will get fair warning on the changing of our url and new name.  Do not worry.

Offline Taleweaver

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 04:05:35 PM »
Don't we have more important things to do, like getting some more CONTENT to our page? Worry about the name later, get the reviews running!

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 05:21:22 PM »
...Yes...I think we're working on that. I should forward the reviews right about now... erg.

EDIT: Actually, this is a great opportunity to change our name. Perhaps it is the ONLY time that we can change our name. Our site is still very small and is practically in hibernation. Let's take on a new identity while we can.

Worrying about a new name and a possible theme is no biggie. We're not being distracted by it (staff), no one's writing reviews slower or proof-reading less material because we keep stopping every 15 seconds to think, "What should the new name be?!!!"

Oh yeah, new email. Read!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 05:49:36 PM by Tamashii »

Offline AnimeGenesis

• Mind Melting

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 12:02:08 PM »
What about calling it AnimeMecca? I even checked the web and nobody is using animemecca.com. I apologize if the idea's crap,as it sounded better in my head.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 04:16:41 PM »
The first problem with that name, and this is to assure that all future names avoid this, is that it is focused on Anime. We're a 3 genre site and the name must be full-clear of any bias towards a specific genre.

"Mecca" indicates that there is a theme to the site. A "mecca", or mechanical/technology, theme will require a lot of photoshop/graphics work to make a layout that fits the feel. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen, and the idea of a theme based on mecca is not too appealing.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against you. It's just that's how I analyze stuff.

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 09:02:30 PM »
What about a military theme?  Tama and Ziri would be generals, Pheld would be Commander in Chief, and reviewers would be colonels.  Members would start out at private and work their way up.  The reviews are part of our "battleplan" to increase knowledge of anime, games, and music.  A little cheesy, I know, but I kinda like it.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 10:34:07 PM »
Anitards.
Anime-on-High
SpecialAnime
Welovegaypr0nanime

All from DirtyHarry.

You should check IRC more often.

Offline Panzyo

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 11:26:15 PM »
Quote from: Tamashii
The first problem with that name, and this is to assure that all future names avoid this, is that it is focused on Anime. We're a 3 genre site and the name must be full-clear of any bias towards a specific genre.

"Mecca" indicates that there is a theme to the site. A "mecca", or mechanical/technology, theme will require a lot of photoshop/graphics work to make a layout that fits the feel. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen, and the idea of a theme based on mecca is not too appealing.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against you. It's just that's how I analyze stuff.

That'd be "mecha".

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=mecca

That's mecca.

Anyway, you're not gonna get much better than AMG if you want all aspects of the site in the name without having a theme.

Unless you can decide on a theme, I'd leave it as AMG. It's not incredibly interesting, but it's pretty easy to remember and it won't leave a visitor asking themself "what was the name of that site again".
Then again, AnimeMecca's not too bad.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2005, 09:29:24 AM »
Whoooops! I'm losing my otaku-touch. Sorry about that.

I'm not saying that we have to have a name with all aspects in it. I'm saying that the name cannot be genre-specific. A name like "Euphoric Visions" for example, is a great name, because it is cool and does not link to any specific medium. By the way, that's a hentai site, so yeah. =P I couldn't come up with a good example... but hey, Twilight Whispers! There you go. Something like that--that's what I like, I don't know about you guys.

We cannot leave it as AMG. All Music Guide is also "AMG". The name is lame and unimaginative, and if you want a cool site, I believe, you need a cool, catchy name with it.

And if the name is cool and unique, the visitor won't be asking themselves "What was the name, again?"

Kuma
I think we mentioned that in this thread. I don't like it because it sounds like we ran out of ideas and had to become a military. Also, it's hard to incorporate the theme into the site. What do we call reviews? How does the review/grade itself relate to the theme? And like you said, it's really cheesy. I think the site works fine without a theme. But if someone can come up with a good one that works, then we'll adopt it, probably.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 09:34:43 AM by Tamashii »

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2005, 09:17:16 PM »
A name like "Euphoric Visions" for example, is a great name, because it is cool and does not link to any specific medium. By the way, that's a hentai site, so yeah. =P I couldn't come up with a good example... but hey, Twilight Whispers! There you go. Something like that--that's what I like, I don't know about you guys.

Just to inform everyone else "Twilight Whispers" is the name of Rit's forum.  I'm fairly certain Tama was kidding with that comment, but sometimes I just don't know.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2005, 10:29:23 PM »
How about something like, I dunno, going on tama's vision...

LithiumFlower. It's a song from an anime, so that's 2 out of 3. I'm sure it could be linked to a game as well.

So, like, lithiumflower.com

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005, 09:15:18 AM »
I don't lke the "flower" part, it's way too sissy. The name sounds more like a website showing off their 3D designs than anything else. Lithium--Something....any ideas?

My TwilightWhispers example was to show that I liked the "concept" of having a name that has no direct attachment to one of our genre, I didn't specifically like the name itself....

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2005, 11:14:18 AM »
How about since like every reviewer on the site has FLCL in their favorites list we call the site furrycurry.com

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2005, 11:41:41 AM »
furrycurry ROTFLMAO. That sounds more like an FLCL fan shrine than a review site. Then again..Lithium something id kinda "weebly boo" or whatever.

:)

Keep the idea's coming XD

Offline AnimeGenesis

• Mind Melting

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2005, 12:29:31 PM »
I think you'll have to compromise for a name, as it will be hard to get a name which shows we do Anime, Manga and Games. Also the military theme that Kuma, i feel its threading closely to AnimeSecrets idea.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2005, 05:21:11 PM »
We're not aiming to get a name that encompasses the idea that we review Anime, Games, and Music. Just a cool name.

FurryCurry is super cool.

(jk!)

Offline ReadorDie

• Teh Newbie Reviewer

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2005, 07:20:28 PM »
But it makes us sound like an FLCL shrine, which we're not.

About the Lithium thing, how about Lilium Flower.  It combines Elfen Lied and GITS: SAC, and the fact that Elfen Lied is so badass erases the flower part.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2005, 07:55:58 PM »
Stop making my points over RoD. I already said that like earlier today.

Quote from: Phelddagrif
furrycurry ROTFLMAO. That sounds more like an FLCL fan shrine than a review site. Then again..Lithium something id kinda "weebly boo" or whatever.

Quote from: Phelddagrif
   How about something like, I dunno, going on tama's vision...

LithiumFlower. It's a song from an anime, so that's 2 out of 3. I'm sure it could be linked to a game as well.

So, like, lithiumflower.com

Sheesh, pay more attention.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2005, 09:08:01 PM »
Furry curry?  I thought the idea of a name was to help attract new members, not scare them away.  j/k :p

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2005, 09:25:18 PM »
Well, I know that furry curry wuold frighten me.

Fur on anything that isn't a mammal scares me.

Seals ftw.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2005, 10:36:15 PM »
LithiumVisions?

Eh, I'm tired.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2005, 11:03:09 PM »
LithiumHydroxide?
LithiumGreen?
LithiumSausageFest?

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2005, 10:13:05 AM »
Lithium Reaction
Alpha-Beta
Climhazzard
MagusOtaku

....Hmm......that's about it for today!

Offline ReadorDie

• Teh Newbie Reviewer

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2005, 04:12:29 PM »
Lithium Reaction seems fine to me.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2005, 07:10:50 PM »
Let's call it "Anime Academy"!  Yeah!

What?... It's been done?
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2005, 07:42:57 PM »
Let's kick you in the balls! Yeah!

What? That's already been done many times before?

=P

Offline ReadorDie

• Teh Newbie Reviewer

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2005, 09:51:26 AM »
Yes.  He can't have children now.  Unless it's with cheese.

Offline Zirilan

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2005, 01:15:29 PM »
If you want to stick with "Lithium" as our first word, then how about "Lithium Dreams".  I know Pheld and Rit would have a field day making a layout with that name.

The problem with pulling a name out of thin air is so difficult because there are just too many words.  If we were to agree on a theme we would have an easier time coming up with a name.  Which brings up the question, do we even want a theme?

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2005, 02:25:30 PM »
I thought that we determined that we didn't.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2005, 03:02:03 PM »
From how I see it, we don't need a theme. But I'm leaving it up to you guys to decide. And again, if we are going for a theme, it's going to have to be a good one.

"Lithium Dreams" is better than AMGReviews, so why not.

Offline AnimeGenesis

• Mind Melting

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2005, 11:46:16 AM »
You know what? LithuimDreams is quite a good name, i'd vote for it. Also there isn't a anime site (or any site matter of fact) called lithiumdreams.

The only reference i could find about lithium dreams is that there is a DJ named that.

Offline Himura Kenshin

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2005, 11:55:30 AM »
Lithium Dreams is a very good name. It's creative and doesn't connect you directly to anime. Plus, AMG=boring.

Because I can

Offline Skywēl

• Shin Seiki Phate
    • http://www.animesecrets.org

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2005, 02:08:02 PM »
First time I read "AMGReviews" I thought it was some hokey Ah! My Goddess fansite.

=>
Phate, Head of Anime Division at Anime Secrets
Visit us, dammit!

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2005, 08:24:28 PM »
My first thought was "Oh, All Music Guide has a review division.

Offline ReadorDie

• Teh Newbie Reviewer

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2005, 04:04:47 PM »
Really?  Mine was 'Oh, now Anime Academy and Manga Review have a new bitch.'

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2005, 05:32:55 PM »
All right, I think that's enough, get on topic or get your post deleted.

Offline Dtortot

• Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.mangareviewer.com

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2005, 07:28:02 AM »
So you guys do Anime, Music and Game reviews, but not manga anymore? And the Site is named AMG Reviews? Why not leave it as such?

Anime
Music
Games
R
e
v
i
e
w
s

Talk about complicating things. Changing the site name = bad idea, you already have low traffic because of all the changes you made during the past few months. LEAVE YOUR SITE ALONE! Just add more content!

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2005, 12:33:20 PM »
Yeah, we learned our lesson. But this is something that MUST be done, in fact it is the ONLY time to do it before we accumulate a large following (if ever). We did a lot of bouncing and finally we've found our middle ground: a comfortable engine (Wordpress), a comfortable staff (somewhat), and comfortable concepts. Now we just need that comfortable name.

As for the content, there's a lot "returning". New content is pretty rare as the staff is scattered, tired, lazy, and confused.

Offline Zirilan

A new name for AMG?
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2005, 03:18:26 PM »
scattered
Noone ever shows up for our rare staff meetings.
We have staff meetings?

tired
We're a bunch of insomniacs.
Damn straight

lazy
We're Americans. (with the exception of TW who is not lazy)
Germans are very productive. Too bad they're all beer guzzling nazi's! (I jest, for I am German as well. Just not aus Deutschland

confused
The frequent power struggles, sudden changes, and way in which things get done tend to confuse people...
Blah blah. Bi-monthly is nothing. You should see me argue with my parents.

I'm not picking on anybody, I'm just telling everyone why we're such if they don't already know. That being said, we need to work on a few things besides our new name. Probably the most important is to get us (most of us) to stop being lazy.

Good luck. I've got a job and school and asshole parents. I have a right to be lazy most of the time. I do what I can.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 07:59:42 PM by Seven »
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up