Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 01:43:44 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real Drive ^^  (Read 2050 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Real Drive ^^
« on: April 20, 2008, 07:36:08 AM »
Episode 1

So Production IG has pulled out another Spring '08 contender out of the hat, and this one may be another big treat by Shirow Masamune. Gorgeous animation and cringing shocking moments like:

Spoiler for Hiden:
How one man's arm gets entangled to a wire
are at least assured, and this too :3.

I'm getting to feel good about this spring. It's looking up.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: Real Drive ^^
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 11:14:39 PM »
Wow. That has to be one of the best (if not the best) first episode of the season. Flawless animation, really interesting story, awesome voice acting and some of the best character designs I have ever laid eyes on (female bodies soooooooo healthy).

:3 I'm following this like a lemming.
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 08:50:18 PM »
Ep. 2

Mostly character backstory and resolution with the minor conflict of the last episode. Oh, and a lot of fanservice. I felt like a dirty old man, but boy howdy did I enjoy the skating scene.
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 07:07:44 PM »
Copy/Paste.

Episode 1

Okay, I admit it.  I am an action junkie.  I need something blowing up, fighting or dying to get me truly interested.  The first episode of Real Drive taught me that this would be about water diving... in za internetz!  That's cool and all, but when I think about it, it sounds about as stupid as giant, fighiting robots surfing on magical pixie dust in the air minus the explosions.  

Sure, there was that one fight scene that had slick animation and all, but I've seen live action do better. Since one of the advantages of anime is that it can do stuff that real life doesn't allow, I wasn't all that amused.  The single scene that managed to knock me out my my doldrum was when that one guy got his arm stuck on the wire and re-enacted some random moment in Evangelion where flesh explodes.

Okay, so far the only reason I've waltzed around the most important aspects of the show (like the story and the characters) is because this is Production I.G so everyone should know what they'll get.  So why all the negativity?  Simple, Real Drive feels too "safe."  Practically every single Production I.G television series I've seen (save GitS) uses the same tired storytelling techniques that pushes no boundaries and creates no fireworks.  I do appreciate the fact that the story has mastered storytelling, but it feels like they've simply become complacent after getting their anime black belt.  Want proof?   In one second, name any Production I.G television series that's better than Gankutsuo... Times up.  Think of one?  No?  They congratulations, the best of GONZO beat the crap out of Production I.G.            

I admit, it's still far to early to say anything truly conclusive, but I predict that this will be a solid "good" show that never truly strive to be great.

Rating: 7/10
Interest: 5/10
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 07:35:51 PM by Shadowmage »

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.
Pages: [1]   Go Up