Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 12:03:37 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: March comes in like a lion  (Read 10220 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: March comes in like a lion
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2017, 11:03:27 PM »
30:

Nikaidou would, normally, be a character that few people would find a lot of sympathy towards.  This is because he's the silver spoon fed rich kid who seems to have his head up his ass over competitions and whatnot.  Usually these characters are treated as simply "out of touch", spoiled, obnoxious twats.  As the series has gone by, we know that his interest in shogi is serious, his friendship with Kiriyama is important to him, and he's just a human being like the rest of us, with a lot more illness.  Like Kiriyama, we have grown to like him, and realize that those normal character archetype prejudices are invalid.  As I sit here watching this, I realize that I would actually be really bummed if Nikaidou died.  He doesn't deserve to die young.  He's living his life as fully as he can, and it is reflected in everything he does.  Sure, I suppose we could still invoke privilege resentment against him for being so rich that they can handle his illness a little more than the average joe, but it doesn't change the fact that he doesn't deserve to be where he is.  Like I said, we're all human beings.

I want to give Akari a big hug right now.  The poor woman doesn't know what to do.  She's normally the level headed, proactive one; the proverbial "big sister" type.  But when she's stressed, pushed into an avenue she has little experience with, she starts going to pieces.  That's normal.  Nobody is a rock, no matter how much they think they are.  That they mentioned their dad in this episode is interesting.  I know that family situations can get complicated, but like all of how Chica Umino tells stories, we initially start off thinking this father is a jackass, abandoning his three daughters for the sake of his "new" family.  But, anybody experienced with Umino will know that things aren't that simple.  We love and care about the sisters, much like with Hina's situation, so we get passionate about them.  I wonder what the truth is, though.  Did the girls push him away?  Has Akari never forgiven him for their mother's demise?  I wonder what story is here, hidden under the melancholy of Akari's comments.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2017, 08:57:29 AM »
30: This show is about to make me all kinds of upset in the future isn't it?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2017, 06:45:30 AM »
28-30:

Those were quite intense episodes.

Hina's homeroom teacher is a sad but familiar territory of how people learn to turn a blind eye towards a problem, and lie to themselves into actually believing that they aren't the problem. But at the same time, even if it's not a pleasant outcome, it should happen. We know that the homeroom teacher is contributing to the problem of bullying already, so she has to be called out sooner or later. The first step to solving a problem is to acknowledge it, anyways.

And it's amazing to see the parallels between Kiriyama and Nikadou in terms of their dependency towards shogi. Their respective circumstances are similar yet different: Kiriyama sees shogi as a form of escapism, whilst Nikadou sees it as a form of hope. And yet, you can take these two descriptions, switch it around and it's not entirely wrong either. The only difference is Kiriyama and Nikadou's respective humble and rich background; for both of them, shogi is essentially the only thing they have.

And yeah, I'm not sure which is more tragic: the story of Akari's father, or her reaction towards it.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2017, 02:52:09 PM »
Has anybody considered the teacher might be a victim of bullying herself?  Maybe from the parents of the bully kids?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2017, 05:41:54 PM »
I already suspected so. It's becoming too common in RL: teachers being coerced by students' parents. That's what I suspect is the reason she is turning a blind eye on this matter in the first place.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2017, 08:02:46 PM »
I mean, she could just be timid about wanting to deal with problems like this, and her own history might have something to do with it, but either way I don't think her story is just about indifference, denial, and cowardice.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2017, 10:37:28 PM »
I guess we will find out about her reasons soon enough, and maybe for her it's not about indifference/denial/cowardice. But then again, when it comes to bullying, it's hard to discuss it without raising the issues above.

A side point though, but the show is showing habits of mistiming comedic relief as of late. The show is tackling a heavy topic such as bullying, but it's trying too hard to loosen up when it doesn't have to.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2017, 02:52:21 PM »
It's funny because Honey and Clover never really mistimed its comic relief moments. Dunno what's going on here, but I agree its a bit too much. I blame the editor.

It's possible with the teacher she's been bullied. But I imagine its possible that she just suspects the problem will eventually go away if she ignores it. Not like the students won't be graduating at some point.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2017, 06:15:33 AM »
31:

As much as Kiriyama hates it, there's nothing wrong with Yamazaki's method of deliberately wearing Nikaidou out during his previous match. Technically, there's no right or wrong way of fighting; if you win legitimately in the end, then you did the right thing. Yamazaki only did the logical thing especially if he knew Nikaidou's condition in the first place. It's an a-hole thing to do, but nothing wrong with the approach. Nikaidou doesn't like to be seen lightly either anyway; it's just Kiriyama being defensive about his friend.

But I have to give it to Kiriyama: his understanding of people's feelings is what made him able to pinpoint Hina's cause of stomach pains (which is the same as Shimada's, which is basically anxiety), and even find her in a big city like Kyoto.

And yes, I love it when this show keeps the comedy to a minimal (almost nonexistent in this episode, actually). If you want some comedic relief, please time it well. Ancient Magus' Bride is a good example of how to do it right, by the way.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2017, 01:59:55 PM »
31: Just great. Should've guessed that Nikaidou would've been watching in the hospital but the scene was still a really cute surprise for me.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  All   Go Up