Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

January 24, 2018, 02:38:05 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sora Yorimo Tōi Basho (A Place Further Than The Universe)  (Read 427 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Sora Yorimo Tōi Basho (A Place Further Than The Universe)
« on: January 02, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »
1:

Our first anime of the year is this Madhouse produced charming piece about a girl too scared to enjoy life and another girl determined to prove everybody wrong and find out what happened to her mother.  One will influence the other into action, the other will influence the first into making this journey fun.  You don't see a lot of anime use Antarctica as a subject for a show, but the usual Madhouse flare for detail and research is all over the place already.  If the first episode is any indication, this could be our sleeper hit of the season.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

Re: Sora Yorimo Tōi Basho (A Place Further Than The Universe)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 09:01:44 PM »
the usual Madhouse flare for detail and research is all over the place already.

They did do their research. The icebreaker Shirase is a real ship, and there is a real Japanese research station on Queen Maud Land named Showa (website). 

You can take real tours of Antarctica via a National Geographic expedition -- my uncle did one in 2017 on the National Geographic Explorer and spent about $15,000 USD, so a million yen is actually in the ballpark.

Shirase Kobuchizawa's name might be related to Nobu Shirase (d. 1946), who led the Japanese Antarctic Expedition in 1910-12.  It would make sense that Nobu Shirase is related to the girl's mother.  However, I'm confused because Shirase is Nobu's surname -- the icebreaker is named after him -- but Shirase is Kobuchizawa's given name not her surname (MAL)? 

Hmm, let me check.. the cover page of Mom's book A Place Further than the Universe was written by Takako Kobuchizawa (Ep1 @ 12:40).  So, is Shirase's name a coincidence then?  Seems unlikely.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 09:36:49 PM »
Oh I doubt that.  Mom obviously had a love for Antarctica, probably before her daughter was even born, so it isn't a shock at all that she'd name her child after the a significant figure in Japanese Antarctic exploration.  I am curious as to how much this is going to turn into its own National Geographic show with cute girls (touching on scientific research related to the place, ozone layer depletion, wildlife and whatnot), or if they'll do more SOL stuff or really delve into how Shirase's mom disappeared.  The OP animation seems to be leaning a lot more "fun!" than serious, but OPs can be full of shit.  While things have certainly progressed since the first Antarctic expeditions in terms of survival down at the southern tip of the world, it still can be a dangerous place for the unprepared.

I'm also embarrassed to admit that it wasn't until I looked things up that I realized Shirase was voiced by KanaHana.  Boy am I a failure.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 09:38:40 AM »
1:

Kimari's character design might be a hurdle for me. (edit: it wasn't)
I fundamentally hate narratives wherein a shit character(no innate drive) co-opts the passion of another, better character. Be inspired sure, but to simply hi-jack their goal is not just shallow but dumb. In this case Kimari was actually invited by Kana...but still, pretty damn immediate.
I also dont see how Kana, given her character's passion, wouldn't have just thrown down against those 2 girls. She works herself to the bone to find out what happened to her mother and yet is just gonna roll over when 2 bitches come askin for money? Trying to make her cute is one thing but this spits in the face of reality   

The presentation was magnificent.
Interested.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:43:54 AM by Zeitgeist »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 06:04:40 PM »
We don't really know what Shirase was going to do with the two bitches.  It looked like she was going to ignore them and just take her bike away, most likely prompting a confrontation, and then who knows.  But Kimari saved the day, of sorts.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 06:03:12 PM »
2:

This is just simply delightful.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 06:46:29 AM »
2:

As undeniably great as it all is, I still cant bring myself to buy into the premise. As if Kimari's motivations weren't already shallow they introduce a character who literally overheard the leads talking about their dream and said character is just "I think I too will embark on a life-threatening excursion to Antarctica." I can only take so much disconnect between story and execution. Meaning, the story is executed quite wonderfully but that same story is kinda shit,
How was Kana not aware of any of this easily Google'able information? The info regarding setbacks experienced by the would-be civilian expedition seems unavoidable. The only way she couldn't have known is if she has never Google'd "Antarctica". Dumb.

The second half was fantastic. Just a ton of fun. Maybe i'm not meant to take this seriously and it is meant to be a light-hearted romp about a naive dream sought by actual children. I hope they never actually get to Antarctica. I hope it was the passion they felt and the growth they experienced in pursuit of that destination which becomes the meat of this show

There was No Game N Life poster in the background...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 07:01:37 AM by Zeitgeist »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 04:21:23 PM »
I don't know if I would call their motivations shallow.  I suppose it is compared to Shirase who wants to find her lost mother, but the idea of "wasting youth" is fairly universal.  We don't really experience it much in the west anymore because we've become more accustomed to living life in our 20s and 30s than our teens, but still.  For the Japanese, doing these kinds of adventures when you're an adult is a lot harder as many of them spend most of their day, most of the week, slaving away at their jobs.  The work environment in Japan is a lot more stringent than ours, so it becomes harder to have these kinds of impulsive moments.  I think that's why you see a lot of the "seishuun" talk in anime.  They say "youth" is wasted on the young, but perhaps that is only because the rest of us old farts are filled with regrets.

tl;dr, seems perfectly fine to me.  Sure, Antarctica is a pretty bizarre place to want to have your "youth moment", but it is also one of those things that few other people can safely say they've done.  It is unique and something they'll carry with them their whole lives.  I also think they explained the "whys" pretty good, especially with Hinata, who literally sees this as her only chance to do something crazy.  She is the embodiment of what I described above.  Kimari is a little less solid, but I'm fine with that.  She's the one coming out of her shell, so this is her "coming of age" story I guess.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 05:04:45 PM »
Going on an arranged tour/expedition to Antarctica isn't particularly life-threatening in the 21st century. As I mentioned earlier my uncle took an NGE tour with his GF last year and they had a blast. They walked amongst the penguins, saw humpback whales, and climbed a glacier.  It's only dangerous if you ignore the safety instructions or wander off somewhere on your own.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 09:15:23 PM »
I think it is fair to say that it is still arguably more dangerous than going to an onsen or something more mundane.  Still, I'm with you, and this would be one of those things that, again, few people have done.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 04:44:11 AM »
1-2:

yolo ammirite--

I love this show already, primarily it's because I love traveling and this show beautifully explains it for me why traveling is fun. The idea isn't groundbreaking per se: school kids who want to do something unforgettable, hence YOLO. Reckless or immature, call it whatever you wish, but it's admirable and fun to watch.

Are their motivations 'shallow'? IRL I don't think I have the right to point fingers at people for having shallow motivations. If they really achieve going to Antarctica eventually, then who am I to say they're being immature for having intentions to do so? People have different motivations for doing something: Shirase wants to find her mother. Mari just wants to do something for her youth. Hinata wants to do something different from the mundane. They may seem shallow at first, but all motivations seem trivial at first. My motivation for learning Japanese at first was even childish, but when I'm able to learn and use this language regularly after 14 years, can I still say my motivation was shallow?

Being travel is a form of freedom these days, and many people (especially millennials) claim that traveling is what they really want to do in life because it's one (or maybe the) manifestation of freedom. You slog day and night to earn a paycheck, and before you know it, your freedom is gone. That's Japan and basically everywhere else in the modern world, and traveling is about having the time, money and will to do so. People always reason why they can't travel to that one place they've always wanted to go to, and it usually boils down to money and time. But what I notice all the time, is that they do have the time and money (unless they have $0 in their bank account); it's just a question of priorities, and more importantly, their will (i.e. how much do they want to go there). It's that old adage: if they really want it, they will find a way to make it happen.

The one thing I love about travel - especially doing it alone and to a foreign and unfamiliar place - is learning how to be optimistic. There's a connotation that you have to be foolish and/or immature in order to be optimistic, and maybe that's true (maybe it isn't, I dunno). The girls here are a classic example: they may be foolish, but they're definitely optimistic. If not, they would be only telling themselves why they should turn around and go back to school. That's the great thing about optimism: you will find reasons to tell yourself that things will be all right, and you will get there. And for most parts, personally that's the case for me too. The girls are definitely gonna see bumps along the way, and that's the beauty of it: it's about how they will overcome it and move forward. And it's exactly as how Tamaki puts it: when there's no point of return, you'll find a way to move forward.

Traveling can be dangerous, but I'm sure it depends a lot on the situation. Traveling to war-torn places and those with many domestic violence may be dangerous. Going to Antarctica? I'm not sure, but maybe it isn't. There are many risks, but that doesn't make it necessarily dangerous. Very few people travel to Antarctica for sure, but why? Is it because it's very dangerous or because it's just too much of a hassle? I think for most parts, it's just the latter.

Shirase is often teased and bullied for wanting to go to Antarctica. How often does that happen in RL? Some guy dreams big and gets harassed, to the point that he starts to believe it was a stupid idea all along. Sadly that's a reflection of how society works: when someone dreams something different and big, there are always others who will bring you down, even if his/her dream doesn't affect anyone. Envy, perhaps? When it comes to traveling, I'm pretty sure it invokes envy in many others.

Amazingly tl;dr, I just love this show. Let's see how far the girls will go; I'm rooting for them.

Online Gadget

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 11:20:59 AM »
Still full of energy. The kuudere Shirase turns out to be an idiot. The air head Hinata is actually the smart one. Mari is.....still Mari. Although Mari is not smart or the voice or reason, she's the heart of the group. And her hug is powerful.

Although the comedy don't get in laughter, but it does leave a nice feeling.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 07:26:21 PM »
3:

I just realized that this is being directed by Atsuko Ishizuka, one of the people (along with Satoshi Kon) who was declared to be one of Madhouse's up and coming talents by the company itself.  She has directed before, namely Sakura-sou no Pet na Kanojo, No Game No Life (series and film), Hanayamata, and Price of Stride, which are an LN, LN, manga, and otome game source material respectively.  This is her first work on an original concept, written by Jukki Harada, and so far she's doing a bang up job.  We have something that is capturing emotion, character depth, and comedy in a way I have not seen since probably the first Love Live anime.  It always amazes me just how much damn fun the first Love Live was, and how much my expectations were blown away by it.  But that had "idol shit" written all over it, and amazed me.  I went into this one dry, and I may be even more amazed.  This is why I continue to support original works over everything else.  I am always looking for someone with a vision to just blow me away, and so far I am getting blown.  Uh... away.

Anyway, though Yuzuki hasn't grown on me as quickly as Hinata, Kimari, and Shirase have, I still like what they're doing with her.  Yeah, her story has been done before, but she isn't so rigid in her emotional state that she can't change her situation.  Instead of wallowing in misery, she actually decides to do something about it.  Sure, Kimari seems to be a walking muse when it comes to inspiring people to "go for it", but when given the opportunity, take it!  So many people aren't willing to seize the day, which was the whole point of Kimari's character at first, so it is ironic that she is the one who has the infectious personality of drive and ambition.

Yeah, they have only known each other a month, and don't recognize each other as best friends, and maybe they're not, but there are moments in time where it seems the gap between partners in crime and establishing life long relationships isn't that wide.  Maybe they just don't recognize it yet.  Maybe it doesn't matter yet.  That's why we have more episodes to watch!

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 06:04:45 AM »
3:

As adorable as the whole new member recruitment was, I can't help but feel that Yuzuki is just a convenient 'golden ticket' for the team to get to Antarctica. Just when it seemed that getting there is nigh impossible, suddenly a celebrity girl comes along with a VIP ticket there.

Seems way too perfect to happen here and now.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 11:59:27 AM »
Funny thing is, I had the same idea already.  Use some kind of publicity stunt to get the thing going.  Advertise to some news agency or magazine that three high schoolers want to brave the wilds of Antarctica and see if you can't get some kind of sponsorship.  They just did it a different way than I planned.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up